• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima's World Tour Has Been to Find an Engine for his New Game

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Good, looks like he won't be wasting years to build a new engine... for now.

Hideo Kojima has confirmed that his first post-Konami game will use a third-party engine, and that his well-documented trips to meet creatives - in video games and otherwise - have at least in part been to find which tools his new project will utilise.

Speaking at the Nordic Game 2016 festival, Kojima explained that in order to ensure a timely release for the new Kojima Productions' debut, he had to go against his preferred methods:

"I actually think it's better to make games using internal tools," Kojima said. "As for my first title, because I want to release it to the people who are waiting for it, for that title we are going to use a third-party engine - the reason I am travelling around the world is looking for such technology to use."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05...-has-been-to-find-an-engine-for-his-new-game/

Xater

I'll be shocked if it doesn't end up being Unreal. I mean it's probably the most versatile and actually has good Japanese support from what I understand.

Cip7DvSU4AAyi9r.jpg:large

Xater

Seriously if you want a third party Engine what is realistically out there? Unreal, CryEngine and Unity. Unity probably isn't even realistic and CryEngine does not seem to have that great of a traction.

He even looked at frostbite. I'm wondering what he'll choose.

You can not license Frostbite

What happened to kojimas own engine he made for MGS5?

Konami owns it.

There's something supremely fucked about Kojima not being able to use the Fox Engine, an engine that he spent years to create, only for it to be squandered by Pachinko machine Konami after MGSV. #FucKonami.

pa22word

Considering they've already announced PC as a release platform mentioning all these sony exclusive developers' tech seems kinda silly. I mean sure, they could take it and spend a lot of time and money to fork a DX branch but why bother when UE4 and Unity are /right there/

id tech and frostbite are bethesda and EA (respectively) exclusive tech anyway, so unless he dropped his sony deal I'd say those are out of the question >.>

The game will feature multiple engines.

Crystal Tools, Panty Raid, Riot Engine, and Adventure Game Interpreter will all be used for Kojima's most wild and crazy game yet.

Yeah and learn to work with another engine when he's done with his exclusive Sony game...

Being honest the way I read it is that he wants to use an already coded engine for the first game to reduce the wait time, whilst also working on making a new engine for future projects. I think the outside engine is a one game only thing.

As for my first title, because I want to release it to the people who are waiting for it, for that title we are going to use a third-party engine

So given his first is a Sony exclusive, there's no reason not to piggy back the U4 engine and then move on to his own for future projects.

Alternatively, RPG Maker MV is 30% off on Humble Bundle, got to be worth a punt?

Tosyn_88

Can he not licence the Fox engine or has the relationship with Konami ended that badly he never wants to speak with them again. Perhaps Naughty Dog can help, Sony santa monica?

pa22word

would be funny if they end up using amazon's cryengine fork out of the blue

has any "big" game announced they're using it yet? could be a nice steal for amazon for the pr alone

Johndoey

Banned
There's something supremely fucked about Kojima not being able to use the Fox Engine, an engine that he spent years to create, only for it to be squandered by Pachinko machine Konami after MGSV. #FucKonami.
Is there? The company financed it's creation, it's their property to use or not use.

Alienous

Just give the man his engine you Konami fucks.

You don't need all that engine all to yourself for just Pro Evo you pricks.

Jackano

Wow, he needed to do a world tour to figure that out. "Let's use something hundreds of developers has been working on for a decade instead of rebuilding the wheel ourselves". What a frakking genius!

Just give the man his engine you Konami fucks.

You don't need all that engine all to yourself for just Pro Evo you pricks.

They may licence it to him (unlikely) but it's not his, it's theirs. That's like saying that Bob on the production line should be allowed to drive the Ford GT he helped build once he left the company.

Top Bottom