• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidetaka Miyazaki Rolling Stone/Glixel Interview

I just read this interview. It gives more insight of how Miyazaki designs his games

Here are a few snippets

Many journalists over the years have said that the Souls games, from Demon's on up through Bloodborne and Dark Souls, is what The Legend of Zelda should have evolved into. How do you feel about that comparison?

When I was a student, The Legend of Zelda was truly monumental, so to be perfectly honest, I feel deeply unworthy of the comparison. The Legend of Zelda and Dark Souls are different games belonging to different genres though, and they're guided by different concepts of game design. They don't need to aspire to the same ideals. If there are similarities, they probably stem from the fact that The Legend of Zelda became a sort of textbook for 3D action games.

Zelda producer Eiji Aounuma thinks it's "a sin" to let players get lost in a game, and that has ultimately led to the series holding players' hands throughout. Conversely, the Souls games give players very little in the way of instruction or direction. You don't even implement a map in-game. Why?

Our goal was to allow players to do what they want, define their own goals, make their own discoveries, embrace their own values, and find their own interpretations. Core to that was the importance of getting lost. This gives value and meaning to finding one’s way. Also, we're just not very nimble when it comes to giving good guidance, and rather than try to overcome our own shortcomings, we decided to focus on things that we were good at.

You tell me you're a bookworm. What kind of books would I find on your shelf if I were to look right now?

First, you'd spot the manga shelf, with Devilman and Berserk lining the top. The neighboring bookshelf is packed with tabletop role-playing game rulebooks, with RuneQuest prominently displayed, alongside the board game Dragon Pass. A shelf is packed with novels – old classics of fantasy and science fiction, alongside George R. R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice and Fevre Dream. A small library of game books shares the same shelf. At the top is Sorcery! and accompanying guides Titan and Out of the Pit. Finally, you'd find various art and reference books, including work by Umberto Eco and McNeill, and Colin Wilson's The Occult.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/dark-souls-creator-miyazaki-on-zelda-sequels-w443435

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You tell me you're a bookworm. What kind of books would I find on your shelf if I were to look right now?

First, you'd spot the manga shelf, with Devilman and Berserk lining the top. The neighboring bookshelf is packed with tabletop role-playing game rulebooks, with RuneQuest prominently displayed, alongside the board game Dragon Pass. A shelf is packed with novels – old classics of fantasy and science fiction, alongside George R. R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice and Fevre Dream. A small library of game books shares the same shelf. At the top is Sorcery! and accompanying guides Titan and Out of the Pit. Finally, you'd find various art and reference books, including work by Umberto Eco and McNeill, and Colin Wilson's The Occult.

Haha this comes as no surprise to anyone! After Bloodbourne I'm surprised he didn't mention H.P. Lovecraft.

Gbraga

Noooo, why did it end? DDDD:

That was so entertaining, but suddenly it was over D:

This man is a genius, straight up. I don't like to throw that around like it's nothing, but I see no other way to define him. Best game designer in the industry by a mile.

Auctopus

Glad he still sounds humble. He's created a greater legacy than most of the big-head developers of the industry.

Aldric

The Legend of Zelda and Dark Souls are different games belonging to different genres though, and they're guided by different concepts of game design. They don't need to aspire to the same ideals. If there are similarities, they probably stem from the fact that The Legend of Zelda became a sort of textbook for 3D action games.

Miyazaki gets it. Great reply, and hopefully this puts a rest to these stupid comparisons (it obviously won't).

EhoaVash

lol anouma think its a sin? i doubt he still thinks the same after seeing breath of the wild.
I love souls game but i heavily dislike the boss battles, love the exploration aspect.

also hope his next game is deeply influenced by game of thrones :3

Pejo

Fun little interview, way too short though. I can't wait for more of From's projects to be revealed. Miyazaki is one of those guys that's really hard to not like, he seems genuine and interested in the content he creates.

Sesha

I think it's more notable, though not surprising, that he's a Devilman fan. Devilman has influenced everything from Miyazaki's RPGs to Bastard!! to DMC to Shadow Hearts to Shin Megami Tensei to Team Ninja's action games. And of course Berserk as well. It's funny to me how many things I love are inspired by Go Nagai's works.

Someone should send Miyazaki an issue of Hellboy. He'd probably love it, if he's not already a fan. The Marquis by Guy Davis as well.

That Glixel newsletter is like the best gaming-related thing I receive each week. Each one has at least a few wonderful, insightful pieces. They're killing it over there.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think it's more notable, though not surprising, that he's a Devilman fan. Devilman has influenced everything from Miyazaki's RPGs to Bastard!! to DMC to Shadow Hearts to Shin Megami Tensei to Team Ninja's action games. And of course Berserk as well. It's funny to me how many things I love are inspired by Go Nagai's works.

Its arguable that Go Nagai is almost as influential as someone like Tezuka among the Japanese. The man and his works are legendary.

lol anouma think its a sin? i doubt he still thinks the same after seeing breath of the wild.

Correct. He did an interview where he pointed out that he felt the overhead perspective in the 2D Zelda's made it easier for you to figure out where you needed to go. And he feared that with how big 3D worlds could be that may make it too hard on the player. He feels the solution to that issue in BotW is in part Link's ability to climb high places so that he can get a better vantage point and the player can figure out where they need to go from there.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for posting this, OP. I'd completely forgotten it was going up! Glad somebody was thoughtful enough to share it.

Fun little interview, way too short though. I can't wait for more of From's projects to be revealed. Miyazaki is one of those guys that's really hard to not like, he seems genuine and interested in the content he creates.

He honestly is very likeable. Always careful with his words, and not afraid to take his time when explaining something.

That said, it seems they opted to cut a lot out of the published version of this interview. He went into more detail regarding the Zelda stuff, talked more about his influences and even shared some thoughts about Cthulhu and religion. Wish we could share it in some way :(

What has being president of From Software enabled you to do that you wouldn't have been able to do otherwise?
A very recent and straightforward example was the decision to define Dark Souls III as a major milestone, allowing us to move on and challenge ourselves with a completely new project. This decision was in line with our mission to create distinct games with a unique perspective and not only reflects my own wishes, but the wishes of the entire game production staff. Had I not been both president and director, this may not have been possible.

The most important bit!

Wow this is such an amazing read!

The Souls Games, Bloodborne, and The Legend of Zelda games are among my favorite games of all time.

Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the link, starting to read it now, seems interesting.

Though this right here made me stop for like 30 seconds and read it a few times...

His first job turned out to be his last: Tokyo-based From Software, a developer best known for the complex Dungeon & Dragons-style King's Field and the nerdy Armored Core mech franchise.

huh? Since when is badass mech action games nerdy but Dungeons and Dragons style Kings Field isn't. This is just bad juronalisterism.
half serious, how dare he say that about Armored Core

Top Bottom