• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidetaka Miyazaki says he’s trying not to get distracted by Elden Ring success

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Bandai Namco RPG, which has sold over 17 million copies and is the highest-rated new game of the year, received a pair of PlayStation Partner Awards today, including the Grand Award (for the best-selling game developed in Asia) and the Users’ Choice award.

Reacting to the wins in an interview with Famitsu, Miyazaki said he was especially honoured by the Users’ Choice award, due to the fact it’s chosen directly by players.

The publication asked Miyazaki why he believed Elden Ring had been such a commercial and critical success, to which he replied that he wasn’t trying to pay too much attention to the reasons why, in case it distracted him from his goal of creating more games unique to developer FromSoftware‘s style.

I’m at a loss when people ask me why [it’s been so successful], but my feeling is that I don’t intend to change the way I’ve been making things in the future,” he said. “I try not to think about it too much, because it could become a distraction when I make the next project. However, I am very grateful and feel honoured.”

The director said he had the same opinion when it came to user feedback. “Personally, I try not to look directly at user feedback,” he said.

“That’s because I can’t listen to all the users’ opinions. I’m afraid that if I do, the voices and opinions I happen to hear will have a strong influence on my future decisions, so I’m careful not to put other opinions directly into my own mind.

“However, when I do look at the reactions, there are many people who first played the same genre (Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls series, etc.) with Elden Ring. It makes me nostalgic when I hear them.

“I remember feeling really happy when I experienced Demon’s Souls for the first time. It’s an exciting title to discover, and we’ve had an increase in new users. I was personally happy to hear that kind of feedback.”

Miyazaki went on to say that he doesn’t feel FromSoftware’s status has changed due to Elden Ring’s success and that it simply continues to make the games it wants to create.

However, he said he believes that the reputation earned by selling more than 17 million copies of Elden Ring “will back us up” in future and allow it to continue making the games it wants to create.

Juza

Miyazaki, please, get a small team to make non-open world AA focused games like good old days and don't get involved.

And keep making Elden Rings with GRR for the mainstreamers.

Saber

Gold Member
I’m at a loss when people ask me why [it’s been so successful], but my feeling is that I don’t intend to change the way I’ve been making things in the future,” he said. “I try not to think about it too much, because it could become a distraction when I make the next project. However, I am very grateful and feel honoured.”

However, he said he believes that the reputation earned by selling more than 17 million copies of Elden Ring “will back us up” in future and allow it to continue making the games it wants to create.

And thats why this game is such a great piece of work. We need more people like him and more games like Elden Ring.

SSfox

Game is awesome and masterpiece, but i wish it was more challenging in NG+. IDK maybe it's me that played too much Souls games but i feel Elden Ring has the least challenging NG+ of all Souls (or could it be my build also?)

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
The publication asked Miyazaki why he believed Elden Ring had been such a commercial and critical success, to which he replied that he wasn’t trying to pay too much attention to the reasons why, in case it distracted him from his goal of creating more games unique to developer FromSoftware‘s style.
Miyazaki the forever GOAT BAMF

Last edited:
All I’m asking for is to not have the story presentation of an indie game. The mystery and atmosphere will not be ruined if the game has some proper cutscenes/cinematics. The 2 CG trailers are examples of what should have been in the game (not a ton but a few).

Elden Ring’s slideshow intro and typical unsatisfying endings? A crime.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Well deserved. It may sound dumb but I legit get kind of bummed when I see the negative comments on this game. Only cause I wish everyone could experience the amount of fun I have with it. it honestly feels like a big arcade game to me, I sometimes forget that I'm playing a Souls game.

Gonna play some coop tonight.

All I’m asking for is to not have the story presentation of an indie game. The mystery and atmosphere will not be ruined if the game has some proper cutscenes/cinematics. The 2 CG trailers are examples of what should have been in the game (not a ton but a few).

Elden Ring’s slideshow intro and typical unsatisfying endings? A crime.
Brah this post is the crime.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Fixed. If other games can do it they can too.
In Demon's Souls they solved this with the Tower Knight and the Dragon God (or whatever their names are).
The Tower Knight wasn't really *that* big, and fit on the screen just right so you could always see his movements as you would on any other enemy.
The Dragon God was much bigger, but he would never move. You basically had to evade his punches until you got close to him.

In Elden Ring they smoked crack. What's the point of making a giant enemy that you can't even read his moves when close, and when you're far you are punished for it? (that stupid wave like attack that the giant spams)
Not only that, but they could have made it so you could actually use your horse in this battle, which is a unique feature in Elden Ring, but noooooooooooooooooo let's punish the player for using their horse in this area as well.

To this day, From Software still has yet to make a game as fun and straight to the point as Demon's Souls (haven't played Sekiro though)

Dragon's Dogma combat destroys Souls series basically.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Grammys 2022 GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

Auto zoom out would solve it, would also make it easier to see enemies attacking from behind. Tbh no modern games are doing action cameras right, they’re all too close to the character.
yeah, why is this? game after game recently has featured this...

In Demon's Souls they solved this with the Tower Knight and the Dragon God (or whatever their names are).
The Tower Knight wasn't really *that* big, and fit on the screen just right so you could always see his movements as you would on any other enemy.
The Dragon God was much bigger, but he would never move. You basically had to evade his punches until you got close to him.

In Elden Ring they smoked crack. What's the point of making a giant enemy that you can't even read his moves when close, and when you're far you are punished for it? (that stupid wave like attack that the giant spams)
Not only that, but they could have made it so you could actually use your horse in this battle, which is a unique feature in Elden Ring, but noooooooooooooooooo let's punish the player for using their horse in this area as well.

To this day, From Software still has yet to make a game as fun and straight to the point as Demon's Souls (haven't played Sekiro though)

Dragon's Dogma combat destroys Souls series basically.
Demon's Souls is great but the combat and in particular the boss fights aren't why - Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, and Sekiro are the gold standard for that in the series. What Demon's Souls excels at is level design and atmosphere.

Dragon's Dogma combat is great but it's not used for anything. There are only a handful of truly unique bosses in the game, everything else is just the same manticore or whatever you've fought a billion times before.

Pejo

Bonus points for not interacting on social media with fans. I think that's the biggest mistake that western devs make.

Make the game you want to make, and it will find fans as long as it's good.

K2D

Banned
Cool, now stop adding giant enemies on your games.
I know what you mean. The best bosses in Bloodborne were the human/humanoid bosses (Father Gascoigne/Maria anyone?)

I think they enjoy making big monstrous bosses as well though, and I would want them to make the things they enjoy.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Defending FromSoftware’s storytelling is a crime 😭

And no I’m not asking for a “movie” or hours of cutscenes

I wouldn't say its indefensible, but I think some criticism is warranted due to its lack of evolution over the years.

The crucial flaw is that although its generally effective, the lack of escalation in stakes ensures that FROM's games inevitably kinda tail-off at the end.
I mean I don't think its arguable that all their titles start out stronger in terms of holding the player's interest in their grim-dark worlds, than they do at the finish.

They put the work in with the battle content, but I'm not sure that's enough especially over the duration of an epic like Elden Ring.

I know what you mean. The best bosses in Bloodborne were the human/humanoid bosses (Father Gascoigne/Maria anyone?)

I think they enjoy making big monstrous bosses as well though, and I would want them to make the things they enjoy.
They’re saying that because the camera is almost always terrible

That is true as well I suppose. But it what I've hear is that they are simply more fun.
I’m happy for them but the result of having a fanbase that doesn’t criticize is that nothing gets fixed. The camera for these large boss fights remains absolutely terrible after like 7 games

K2D

Banned
I’m happy for them but the result of having a fanbase that doesn’t criticize is that nothing gets fixed. The camera for these large boss fights remains absolutely terrible after like 7 games
Yeah.. The camera when fighting wyrms was pretty terrible..

B-Team(Dark Souls 2) for Elden Ring 2 confirmed.
I think Elden Ring itself may have actually been the B-team, albeit with better leadership. The A-team B-team thing first emerged when DS2 and Bloodborne were being developed at the same time, with Bloodborne being the A-team game and DS2 the B-team. After that DS3 came out, I have no idea how they developed that game so quickly but it has to have been the B-team since it came out only a year after Bloodborne (and Miyazaki, though credited as director, was clearly less involved than Bloodborne). At that point they probably reorganized the studio so the teams were probably jumbled around, but Sekiro seems a continuation of the more experimental A-team and Elden Ring is obviously the successor of the "mass market" DS2/DS3 team

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I think Elden Ring itself may have actually been the B-team, albeit with better leadership. The A-team B-team thing first emerged when DS2 and Bloodborne were being developed at the same time, with Bloodborne being the A-team game and DS2 the B-team. After that DS3 came out, I have no idea how they developed that game so quickly but it has to have been the B-team since it came out only a year after Bloodborne (and Miyazaki, though credited as director, was clearly less involved than Bloodborne). At that point they probably reorganized the studio so the teams were probably jumbled around, but Sekiro seems a continuation of the more experimental A-team and Elden Ring is obviously the successor of the "mass market" DS2/DS3 team
If that was the case definitely apparent apart how much Miyazaki's direction is needed. While it's great to rag on DS2 for myself it's not a crap shoot entirely, still a good game but with Miyazaki involved souls games shine.

Soodanim

Gold Member
If that was the case, it wasn't the B-team in anything but name

He's absolutely right. The runaway phenomenon of Elden Ring shouldn't change what they're currently working on. Make what you're making, and stay focused on your vision. And all the extra profits from Elden Ring are well-deserved and should make it a lot easier to hire people for new and existing projects, and help everyone at the studio know they work for a good company with a very solid balance sheet. That's enough to think about.

Last edited:
If that was the case definitely apparent apart how much Miyazaki's direction is needed. While it's great to rag on DS2 for myself it's not a crap shoot entirely, still a good game but with Miyazaki involved souls games shine.
I think Yui Tanimura may actually be a good director too. In the west he gets the blame for what a disaster DS2 was but he was actually brought on late in development to salvage a project that another guy had fucked up. After that he became Miyazaki's right-hand man and the co-director of the "B-team" games - DS3 and Elden Ring.

At this point A-team and B-team don't refer to quality, since they're both competent teams. A-team is just the DS1/Bloodborne/Sekiro team and B-team is the DS2/DS3/ER team. B-team fucked up DS2 but that guy isn't at the company anymore and their subsequent work has been solid.

Top Bottom