• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High budget first party PS3 title canceled - OR NOT See #211

mckmas8808

Banned
davidjaffe said:
The only reason it's bad is that it's incorrect. On ALL accounts by the way. As in, go thru each of his complaints (millions spent on my game + Warhawk being in trouble+ no hits on Ps2) and you will find them not correct at all. But good try... asshole.

David

Hey Jaffe can you please (if these rumors are true) tell SCEA to put Warhawk on PSN with at least 16 player multiplayer?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!

Stealth said:
It's amazing how many people are doubting that Incog can pull this game off. Even Jaffe says we should have faith.

not really. there's insane amounts of doubt involving any game remotely connected to the Ps3 or Sony. chalk it up to overzealous fanboys on the internets, as usual.

Haunted

:lol :lol @ Jaffe comment. He lives up to the tag.

Anyway, the speculation runs rampant, I would personally bet my money on Warhawk if the rumour turns out to be true, but if you want confirmation, we have to wait for the press release. (Or another dev/insider on GAF :p )

Twix said:
so it’s not WarHawk ? let’s find another candidate !! :lol :lol

932984_20060508_screen012.jpg

You gotta believe!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Who are you ? No, this is not a joke question.

David Jaffe
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

David Jaffe is a video game designer and director and currently resides in San Diego, California. He is married and has two children.

Jaffe attended the University of Southern California in Los Angeles. He applied to their prestigious film school, but was never admitted. After a few years pursuing his dream of directing movies, he turned to game design.

He is best known for directing the critically-acclaimed God of War for the Playstation 2. He is currently working on Calling All Cars for the Playstation 3.

Jaffe maintains a blog that provides commentary on game design and his own life. He is also known to be an honest interviewer and occasionally visits and posts at the videogame forum NeoGAF.

Works

* Calling all Cars (2007)
* God of War II (2007)
* God of War (2005)
* Kinetica (2001)
* Twisted Metal Black (2001)
* Twisted Metal 2 (1996)
* Twisted Metal (1995)
* Mickey Mania (1994)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
kaching said:
If its Warhawk, I blame Jaffe. Man went and got himself a big hit with GoW and now he wants to put a bug in Incog's ear about doing high-concept games, split their attention in too many directions and just take them away from what they do well. You suck, Jaffe.

Interesting.

Stinkles said:
This is really old and several Gafers know which game it is. Not my place to say.

The truth is out there. believe

What the hell? We are now quoting rumorreporter.com? Sheesh.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Who are you ? No, this is not a joke question.

Oh man. Found it. You directed God of War. What are you doing in this forum ? This is the kingdom of fanatics. You gave them 10 and they want 1000. There will be always someone who will criticise a game, doesn't matter if its good or not.

Anyway, nice to met you.

i'm gonna set up my own crappy website like noooooooooooz.com and start posting bullshit rumours and sit back and watch fanboys argue back and forth on messageboards all across the internets:lol

cank stoochie said:
i'm gonna set up my own crappy website like noooooooooooz.com and start posting bullshit rumours and sit back and watch fanboys argue back and forth on messageboards all across the internets:lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Bad_Boy said:
Read his blog. CAC is doing well last I heard.

1up.com just left the San Diego offices like 30 min ago where they taped footage for the show. You can read their comments end of the week (I think) to see if they feel the game is in trouble. I can tell you I don't think it is and- with the exception of last month tuning and tweaks (i.e. up thought the cars were too slidy, an easy fix ((as in, we adjust one single number and problem solved)) if that concern pans out in play test groups).

The 1up interview was cool as they tossed out some hardballs...I liked that. Some were a bit loaded for the sake of being loaded ('how do you feel that SCEA just put RESISTANCE out on the market to die') and I hope I handled them well...but overall, I had a good time and dug the fact that game journalists came to the table with some fangs.

And only four levels? Dude, it's a sub 10 dollar game and every level plays differently and I promise, if you like the game, you will feel you are getting your money's worth. We are not cheating anyone; but we are making a game designed to feel like BOMBERMAN and NBA JAM and NFL BLITZ...no one asks for 30 levels from those games...and hell, back in the day, those games cost 49.99 like everything else...I'm not bitching at you but I am interested in if gamer's are expecting full blown blu ray sized games for 10 bucks versus more arcade scoped titles (which is what we are making).

element

Manmademan said:
not really. there's insane amounts of doubt involving any game remotely connected to the Ps3 or Sony. chalk it up to overzealous fanboys on the internets, as usual.
I wouldn't say that. The Naughty Dog game has me chomping at the bit for the second they start talking more about it, and their are many other games that are impressive.

I think Warhawk and Incog is a special case, in here is a studio that did a downhill bike racing game, a monster brawler, and now are attempting to do a huge open world air assault game with on foot levels? Good luck to them, as it is a huge challenge to deliver on such a complicated mechanic

Haunted

cank stoochie said:
:(
do it.

Pud

Banned
The rumour still stands, it's just a matter of digging to find out which game... hmm... If not Warhawk, SCEA does publish the Naughty Dog titles, don't they?

mckmas8808

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Oh man. Found it. You directed God of War. What are you doing in this forum ?

Anyway, nice to met you.

It's GAF. He loves us. And it's a place for him to get the latest info quick.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
davidjaffe said:
The 1up interview was cool as they tossed out some hardballs...I liked that. Some were a bit loaded for the sake of being loaded ('how do you feel that SCEA just put RESISTANCE out on the market to die') and I hope I handled them well...but overall, I had a good time and dug the fact that game journalists came to the table with some fangs.

ouch. I wonder who asked that. I wonder......:lol

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
dark10x said:
Ha ha, I forgot about that incident...

It's happened multiple times. ;) I actually think those titles draw him quicker than mentioning titles he's worked on since.

I think there's still a bitter taste there. There's another lurking b*stard who could comment on that, but he'll probably never come out of the dark.

Doom_Bringer said:
incorrect

Factor 5's second PS3 game titled animal warfare or something was canceled or put on hold and Getaway was never really a game only a tech demo

God damn it DB, would you stop spreading misinformation already?

mckmas8808

Banned
davidjaffe said:
The 1up interview was cool as they tossed out some hardballs...I liked that. Some were a bit loaded for the sake of being loaded ('how do you feel that SCEA just put RESISTANCE out on the market to die')

Did they ask you to be on the 1Up show this week too? GOD I HOPE SO!!!!

Stealth

davidjaffe said:
1up.com just left the San Diego offices like 30 min ago where they taped footage for the show. You can read their comments end of the week (I think) to see if they feel the game is in trouble. I can tell you I don't think it is and- with the exception of last month tuning and tweaks (i.e. up thought the cars were too slidy, an easy fix ((as in, we adjust one single number and problem solved)) if that concern pans out in play test groups).

And only four levels? Dude, it's a sub 10 dollar game and every level plays differently and I promise, if you like the game, you will feel you are getting your money's worth. We are not cheating anyone; but we are making a game designed to feel like BOMBERMAN and NBA JAM and NFL BLITZ...no one asks for 30 levels from those games...and hell, back in the day, those games cost 49.99 like everything else...I'm not bitching at you but I am interested in if gamer's are expecting full blown blu ray sized games for 10 bucks versus more arcade scoped titles (which is what we are making).

As I recall Mario Kart 64 had only four multiplayer deathmatch levels and I played the sodding hell out of those. Four's just fine with me.

The online gaming community jumps on any slight tid-bit rumor in a way I have never seen it happen anywhere else before and it doesn't even matter if the original source of the rumor is not at all credible.

EGM (and Shane) come out with BS rumors every month and 20 page threads happen on those. Some insider source said something to someone who runs some site and everybody just goes crazy.

element

ummm dudes, he didnt actually confirm warhawk isnt cancelled
yeah, David really tip toed around that. Played the 'not my place to comment' card.

canceled or not, Warhawk does appear to be somewhat of a mess. GTA with planes!!

cank stoochie said:
ummm dudes, he didnt actually confirm warhawk isnt cancelled

Most people with reading skills above third grade did not think Warhawk was ever going to be officially "cancelled".

An unfinished game relegated to an online only release is not the same as being cancelled.

element said:
I think Warhawk and Incog is a special case, in here is a studio that did a downhill bike racing game, a monster brawler, and now are attempting to do a huge open world air assault game with on foot levels? Good luck to them, as it is a huge challenge to deliver on such a complicated mechanic

come on man! Look at ninja theory, they are a relatively new studio and they only got one last gen mini game under their belt but Heavenly Sword looks freaking amazing!! Incog can pull Warhawk off but I don't know what to say after all these rumors

Since there is such an interest is Sony fans' disposition on certain games/developers, allow me to go on record so that it can be referenced when hunting for future inconsistencies

Ignatz Mouse's Stance on All Things PS3
Handy reference card, print and save

Warhawk: don't care, thought the d/l trailer on PSN looked "crappy." Heard so-so things about development and have not gotten my hopes up, never played the original so I am not longing for a sequel.

Ingog: generally like their output, said I hope that if this Warhawk rumor is true that I hope it doesn't mess them up and ruin any chances for a decent TM or War of the Monsters game. Didn't get that into TM:Head On despite wanting to like it-- I attribute that to it being overshadowed by Lumines and Wipeout:pure. Still own it in thoughts that I might pick it up and get into it.

Other games:

Heavenly Sword-- looks great, I have no idea what it will play like. Tech demo as far as I am concerned right now.

Lair-- game concept looks great, not all that excited about the visuals

Resistance-- thoguht it was an OK concept and looked really good, bought it for lack of anythign better to play on my BluRay player and ended up loving it. Makes me want to go play all the R&C games, which I passed on.

VF5-- I'll probably get it, but not really pumped. Looks pretty good, but gfx aren't really my thing and I know I'll enjoy it even though I generally am lame at fightign games. VF and SC are the only two I get into even a little

Oblivion-- Looked pretty on 360, wondering if the gameplay will bore or engross me

Motorstorm-- the game I was most excited about, pissed it was delayed, played the demo and was initailly unimpressed by the gameplay but replayed at the instance of my 2-year-old who likes seeing "car fall down" and ended up really, really liking it. Highly anticpated

Ridge Racer 7-- pretty, but really sterile and I don't get the hype. Fun but shallow. Might be me, but I'm not sure why people are always analyzing the graphics of this game-- shinty but not jaw-dropping or anything.

F1, GT-- these games look absolutely amazing. F1 bores me, GT sometimes feels like work but rewardign when I invest. Somewhat bored by the series, skipped GT4 and barely played 3, may give 5 a shot.

Getaway-- one of ~10 people who liked the original. Generally interested, but as a game and not as a tech demo. Have read about zero news on this game.

Gripshift-- under-appreciated gem of a game, would be getting 90+ scores if it featured a Mario (plumber, not developer) theme.

mckmas8808 said:
It's GAF. He loves us. And it's a place for him to get the latest info quick.

Well, personally the only reason I come here is to laugh a little bit and to learn the english language with all these discussions.
But I think that who work in the industry shouldn't come here. It is dangerous and UNANWENDBAR.

I mean, this is only the GAF. An amount of fans that care only to their favorite games and favorite consoles. Nothing more. Nothing less.

It is like to found Stephen Hawking in a physics forum: well, the hierarchy still exists.

element

Doom_Bringer said:
come on man! Look at ninja theory, they are a relatively new studio and they only got one last gen mini game under their belt but Heavenly Sword looks freaking amazing!! Incog can pull Warhawk off but I don't know what to say after all these rumors
Ninja Theory is building off of a game mechanic they know, action games. Some of the team came from medieval 1/2, then some went on to work on Kung Fu Chaos. When Ninja Theory started they have many people from the various Argonaut Studios, most of which worked on 3D action games.
So it is just experience and pedigree. Ninja Theory is doing a game in a genre they know, not taking a huge risk and making an MMO or a sports game or something.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Damn, Jaffe got in the thread suddenly everyone are on the sony side and loooove warhawk.

GAF am hypocrites

Twix said:
so it’s not WarHawk ? let’s find another candidate !! :lol :lol

That rumor almost certainly pertains to Warhawk. Parts of it sounded an awful lot like something I was told quite a while ago, but it'd be awesome if I (or the source, to be precise) am wrong about this one.

element said:
yeah, David really tip toed around that. Played the 'not my place to comment' card.

canceled or not, Warhawk does appear to be somewhat of a mess. GTA with planes!!

Well, he did say it wasn't cancelled...that's for sure. But he didn't say what state the game was in...you're right about that.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Guys (gals?), just be aware that MANY MANY MANY games- including 90% of the ones I have worked on- go thru growing pains. It's called the creative process. Sometimes those pains are so bad that you don't think you can go on (GOD OF WAR, in my case), sometimes they are not that bad. BUT just because you hear about a game that is (or WAS) struggling thru the process, doesn't mean ANYTHING. That is the process for much of the time. Hell, they KILLED the first draft of HALF LIFE and started again...how many times did they push back ZELDA (which ZELDA? Hell, how about MOST of them)...you REALLY think it was to 'give the game more polish and give gamers the game the deserve'? Well sure it was, but you also never stopped to think that the extra time was needed because the game didn't sail thru the dev. process like butter in the first place?

So just because some disgruntled ex-worker- who thought the game should have been made HIS way- is now getting his 15 minutes by spouting off to some news source, does not mean he is bringing any meat to the table in terms of valid information. It may be TRUE information in terms of a game having been down a tough road, but again- that is par for the course.

David

Wollan

DenogginizerOS said:
ouch. I wonder who asked that. I wonder......:lol

I'm not sure if Scoot meant it seriously but the game is well on it's way to cross the million barrier in March.

davidjaffe said:
Guys (gals?), just be aware that MANY MANY MANY games- including 90% of the ones I have worked on- go thru growing pains. It's called the creative process. Sometimes those pains are so bad that you don't think you can go on (GOD OF WAR, in my case), sometimes they are not that bad. BUT just because you hear about a game that is (or WAS) struggling thru the process, doesn't mean ANYTHING. That is the process for much of the time. Hell, they KILLED the first draft of HALF LIFE and started again...how many times did they push back ZELDA (which ZELDA? Hell, how about MOST of them)...you REALLY think it was to 'give the game more polish and give gamers the game the deserve'? Well sure it was, but you also never stopped to think that the extra time was needed because the game didn't sail thru the dev. process like butter in the first place?

So just because some disgruntled ex-worker- who thought the game should have been made HIS way- is now getting his 15 minutes by spouting off to some news source, does not mean he is bringing any meat to the table in terms of valid information. It may be TRUE information in terms of a game having been down a tough road, but again- that is par for the course.

David

Disgruntled workers, FTL :/

Top Bottom