• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High End Graphics for Nintendo's hardware is inevitable...Eventually.

Tams

If Nintendo would just stop tricking people into spending billions on cheap bad games they would realize they can do so much better. I mean, anyone can get rich pumping out terrible games year after year. It’s the mendacity that kills me. Nintendo has to stop selling people what they don’t want because it is clearly not working.
banning super mario GIF

I will do the question I'm doing since the first rumor about Switch Pro started...

Are there anything that Nintendo can use for a more powerful Switch? I don't think so.
nVidia is probably near to launch something but I believe Nintendo is waiting.
Nintendo probably wait another 2-3 years, then stuff a 3050 into a 'Switch Pro' with DLSS on and call it next gen lmao, just jokes

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
In your dreams maybe. They are too concerned about profit and has the audience like Apple products, even if it's horrible those people will treat it like it's a best thing ever.

Gamecube, hell, the DREAMCAST, was better graphically than the PS2.

GC did generally have a lot of advantages over PS2 and even Dreamcast had a few (more VRAM, better color output, higher resolution output support), but PS2 was a particle fillrate monster and IIRC had a geometry rasterization advantage over Gamecube, if just slightly. And It was better than Dreamcast at polygon output/geometry & lighting quite handily.

But, the weak video output support did hamper PS2 games, it made them a bit muddier on the screen compared to games on the other consoles. But there are some exclusives like Silent Hill 3 with some of the best texture work that gen that does very well with the softer output of PS2 consoles.

not to mention Nintendo surely gonna keep their succesfull philosophy of Wii where they create weaker hardware to avoid directly clash with 2 main biggest competitor(Sony and MS) while creating their own market space.

That's part of the reason, but I think the bigger reason they do it is because weaker hardware costs much less to produce, so they can retain higher profit margins on hardware units sold. Sony said they were looking at OLED sales "closely"; they're already profitable off PS5 physical units sold, I think future hardware from them will carry that philosophy further so that they can get decent profit margins off hardware sales from Day 1.

However, their margins will still be much lower than Nintendo's because Sony actually puts out relatively competitive & capable console hardware for the gen they come out in.

If Nintendo would just stop tricking people into spending billions on cheap bad games they would realize they can do so much better. I mean, anyone can get rich pumping out terrible games year after year. It’s the mendacity that kills me. Nintendo has to stop selling people what they don’t want because it is clearly not working.

Is this a sarcastic post?

UnNamed

Banned
The next system from Nintendo will be in par with the current gen, not in terms of power but in terms of chances to port games to PS5/SX to Nintendo, with lower settings but the same games.

Not because Nintendo but because PS5/SX are not a new paradigm, not a leap.

Can Swich be more powerful? Yes.
But the powerdraw would mean it would have the battery life of the Valve Deck. As in 2 hours max.

And this can't be fix fast, as chemistry is a harder issue than miniaturization. Half of the switch mass is already the battery.

Nintendo remembered the Gamegear and how it was beaten in playtime by gameboy.

Is lazy?!
Yes lazy as they don’t make new games new blockbuster games don’t have the courage to do that.Their games are always very cheap meaning not the game itself which are fun games but production is very cheap no moCap no voice acting no Uncharted like no Bethesda like no Gran truisms like.And all games are similar.You have 2D Mario which costs probably few dollars to make same for animal crossing which is a joke that’s not even indie level of production.They make so much money every mario or mario kart game nets them way over 1 billion profit and they are so cheap look at their newest Pokémon which is their main big franchise looks like ps2 graphics in higher res absolutely lousy.Look at Sony you have games like flower last guardian they try all kinds of games major production values always new games heavy rain new kind of game genre.Nintendo it’s since 30 years 2D mario 3D mario mario paint mario golf mario soccer mario puzzle donkey Kong Jump run kirby jump run mario Kart.I was very big Nintendo fan back in the days I always want them to make powerful consoles to have 50 characters on track in mario Kart big new worlds which are packed and look absolutely amazing but since Wii they cheaped out only make outdated underpowered stuff.They are successful their users don’t mind so they keep on making them this way.I think they should make handheld and console separate because their fans will buy both and I would again buy their console if it’s powerful and they make their games fitting their console meaning you could have powerful console but still make Mario kart on Wii level graphics only higher res that is trash.I mean if you have a 3090 in your console develop what the 3090 is capable of not Wii level put in money in production.

Tams

Yes lazy as they don’t make new games new blockbuster games don’t have the courage to do that.Their games are always very cheap meaning not the game itself which are fun games but production is very cheap no moCap no voice acting no Uncharted like no Bethesda like no Gran truisms like.And all games are similar.You have 2D Mario which costs probably few dollars to make same for animal crossing which is a joke that’s not even indie level of production.They make so much money every mario or mario kart game nets them way over 1 billion profit and they are so cheap look at their newest Pokémon which is their main big franchise looks like ps2 graphics in higher res absolutely lousy.Look at Sony you have games like flower last guardian they try all kinds of games major production values always new games heavy rain new kind of game genre.Nintendo it’s since 30 years 2D mario 3D mario mario paint mario golf mario soccer mario puzzle donkey Kong Jump run kirby jump run mario Kart.I was very big Nintendo fan back in the days I always want them to make powerful consoles to have 50 characters on track in mario Kart big new worlds which are packed and look absolutely amazing but since Wii they cheaped out only make outdated underpowered stuff.They are successful their users don’t mind so they keep on making them this way.I think they should make handheld and console separate because their fans will buy both and I would again buy their console if it’s powerful and they make their games fitting their console meaning you could have powerful console but still make Mario kart on Wii level graphics only higher res that is trash.I mean if you have a 3090 in your console develop what the 3090 is capable of not Wii level put in money in production.
I'm not sure why anyone should bother reading that wall of text.

If you want people to read what you have to say, don't put it as a massive stream of thought;

aint nobody got time for that GIF

Dream-Knife

Banned
I hope they're working with nvidia to make a ~2TF SOC. If they can market it right, this will be the second time Nintendo will have back to back gen wins.

The extra power just needs to be used to prevent frame and resolution drops. Coupled with DLSS it should be a comfortable 1080p experience.

Last edited:

Rykan

It really depends.

Nintendo does often launch with relatively underpowered hardware, although I'm not entirely sure I agree with the sentiment that this is all they've been doing. The Switch Hardware also needs to function as a handheld due to its hybrid nature and by handheld standards, the Switch wasn't really outdated or underpowered when it came out.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Tell me Mario Kart on the Switch or Luigi’s mansion doesn’t look great ?

BoTW also has some amazing looking areas

Tbh if the can make great looking games with that tech. Why rush out a newer powerful model?

Also I think Nintendo make money in each console sold. Instead of a loss.

Yes some of the things on the Xbox/PlayStation are miles ahead of Nintendo. But my brother bought he mego star wars saga for Xbox and had to wait over an hour for the upgrades to install. I no doubt think had i bought the switch version it would have booted up a lot quicker.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I hope they're working with nvidia to make a ~2TF SOC. If they can market it right, this will be the second time Nintendo will have back to back gen wins.

The extra power just needs to be used to prevent frame and resolution drops. Coupled with DLSS it should be a comfortable 1080p experience.
Denzel Washington GIF

Just give us stable base 30 fps with the option of 60 if needed. Locked 1080p and less jaggies for the next switch. (Not that I care too much switch is alright with me)

With the ability to run more demanding games smoother that’s all we want.

Also I think this needs to be dropped.

zPt68qD.jpg

Kokoloko85

It feels like Nintendo has stayed in the Gamecube range forever.
It will be interesting when they actually have to make current gen looking games

Tams

It feels like Nintendo has stayed in the Gamecube range forever.
It will be interesting when they actually have to make current gen looking games
If you think Switch games (or even Wii U games) look like Gamecube games the you either have very poor memory or are wearing rose-tinted glasses.

Trust me, I've gone back to various eras including PS2/Gamecube/Xbox. All the games look shit by modern standards.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Yep, one day they'll reach what we currently think of as "high end," but only by the time it's withered. If Nintendo get the timing juuuuust right, they'll be able to pull off another Switch--just close enough to get visually compromised downports and fairly solid late ports of last gen heavy hitters, but now on the go. Hoping for anything more is just silly, IMO, given their how well their current strategy has been working for them.

If Nintendo made the Switch 2 $500 and leveraged the best mobile tech Nvidia has available it would still sell out at that price.
Maybe the first run, or even the first couple of years, but enthusiasts are finite, whereas families are their bread and butter. Nintendo would be foolish to take that big of a risk (as much as I'd love to get my hands on that kind of mobile hardware... but that's why I preordered a Steam Deck).

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
i think the biggest thing to me is Nintendo could leverage their partnership with nvidia to release something with a good amount of tensor cores and one up both MS and Sony in raytracing. But if they wait then they will lose that chance as I’m sure the mid gen consoles will have much better raytracing abilities.

I love Nintendo's first-party games but admit that I am almost always disappointed by the actual visuals which are often lovely artistically but frequently letdown by low resolutions/framerates, poor draw distances and a complete lack of anti-aliasing (which makes the low resolutions that much harder to look at on a 4K TV). If the Switch was a handheld only then they could just about get away with it but it isn't; it is also a system that can be docked and played on a modern 4K TV and this is where the hardware falls depressingly short.

They honestly do not need to compete with the hardware of the PS5 or Xbox Series X but somewhere between the PS4 and PS4 Pro/Xbox One and Xbox One X in terms of performance and just start implementing basic features such as anti-aliasing and supporting at least 1440p docked in my opinion. Sure, their focus seems to be handheld first, console second with the Switch but there's no reason why they can't target a more powerful base system via additional hardware in the dock itself with the handheld supporting 1080p and HDR.

Nintendo's hardware hasn't really evolved since the GameCube. The Wii was basically a GameCube with motion controls and the Wii U was just a refinement of that with a handheld unit. They then refined this further with the Switch offering a true portable experience but in terms of power the console wasn't that much more powerful than the Wii U due to using a mobile chipset and having its performance restricted by battery limitations. It seems like Nintendo are no longer interesting in competing graphically which is a shame. I remember being very impressed by the N64 in comparison to the PS1 (since it had texture filtered games with some basic AA and none of the awful texture seaming and warping that the Sony console had) and the GameCube in comparison to the PS2. The Wii was their first console where I thought the graphics were pretty awful, especially as that was the time I moved from playing games on a CRT TV to playing them on a flatpanel LCD screen.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
If the market didn’t forcedly push 4K screens on us, this wouldn’t be a problem.

I want Nintendo to use better hardware for performance, not graphics. Switch’s portability is a big plus for me, but it requires already gimped versions of games to cut even more corners. I’d love to buy some games on Switch, but I can’t shake off the knowledge that I’d be buying an inferior version that will never get updated if the console gets better specs in the future.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I don't really need anything crazy from Nintendo. If they could do botw style games at 4k 60fps docked. With a little more going on. I would be ecstatic. I don't need zelda to look like a Rdr2 or anything.

Azurro

Banned
The apple m1 would be perfect, apple/nintendo partnership? Intels new GPU line is power optimized too.

Nintendo's budget wouldn't allow for an M1. They put together their machines with paper mache and their cpu+gpu's from the Palaeolithic period. :)

Last edited:
Never. 103 million people have shown that high end is not necessary for Nintendo. I don't expect Nintendo to change it's ways in terms of hardware going forward.
Especially since those who demand high end is also ignoring the (eletric) power requirements. Those idiots are complaining that Deck only has 2 hours battery when maxed out; but what did they expect?

All the traditional consoles are only getting more powerful not just through expensive hardware, but drawing MORE Electricity. PC gamers understand that, but maybe console gamers don't. And Nintendo is selling a portable console here. The eletric power draw is a real limiting factor.

REDRZA MWS

Depends on what you consider high end. They’ll always be lower spes’d compared to their Sony/MS counterparts.

SNG32

Especially since those who demand high end is also ignoring the (eletric) power requirements. Those idiots are complaining that Deck only has 2 hours battery when maxed out; but what did they expect?

All the traditional consoles are only getting more powerful not just through expensive hardware, but drawing MORE Electricity. PC gamers understand that, but maybe console gamers don't. And Nintendo is selling a portable console here. The eletric power draw is a real limiting factor.
Exactly if Nintendo continues to go they hybrid route power will always be limited especially with the form factor for portability. Consoles are damn near almost the size of PC towers lol because of the power. Only thing we can hope for Switch Pro is if it has the DLSS technology to somewhat keep up with current gen consoles.

leo-j

I mean, when they released the Wii U they were ahead of ps3 and 360 in visuals. And the switch is more powerful than Wii U and offers all that in a compact portable system. It’s just a half gen under Xbox one. They have made their games look good and better than a lot of early gen ps4 games tbh.

Romulus

I mean, when they released the Wii U they were ahead of ps3 and 360 in visuals. And the switch is more powerful than Wii U and offers all that in a compact portable system. It’s just a half gen under Xbox one. They have made their games look good and better than a lot of early gen ps4 games tbh.

Wii U was released in 2012, thats essentially a full generation later than 360/ps3 and it was only marginally better.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I mean so let’s say that Nintendo being Nintendo won’t move on a switch 2 until either demand falls off or the chip drought ends.

Let’s say 2024 for a switch 2.

The x1 is a 2014-2015 design, you’re looking at almost a decade of gains. Mobile RAM will always be mobile RAM but even targeting a battery-first spec you’ll get equal or better performance than a ps4.

And I mean a portable PS4 ain’t good enough for you?

iHaunter

If Nintendo made competent hardware again, I'd likely be back on board

The whole GameBoy philosophy does nothing for me when applied to consoles
Same for me. Haven't touched the Switched since SW&SH Expansion. Console is may as well be dead to me. Play Smash ultimate once in a while with friends, bout it.

MacReady13

Apart from Metroid last year, Kirby this year and giving the remake of House Of The Dead a go, I don't touch the Switch. I never play portable, and trying to play anything on my 4K screen is tough. Graphics aren't everything to me but frame rate is, and playing at sub 30 fps is really hard to do coming from the PS5.

My wish was that Nintendo would continue with the power gains in consoles after the Gamecube. Unfortunately the Wii was a success NOT because of it's weak power but because it was a gimmick (and had some amazing games). Seems like they thought that they didn't need to be the most powerful to win and again, unfortunately, the Switch is killing it so they seem justified in their position. I wish they'd try to compete with Sony/Microsoft so we could get GTA5, COD, Battlefield, Assassins Creed and all those big 3rd party games that only appear on the other consoles to appear on a Nintendo console. If they got all those big releases then I would seriously have no need for any other console. Nintendo's 1st party games are unmatched and having every other game available would be a dream come true.

Moses85

If the technology has reached its maximum potential and it no longer has room for manoeuvre upwards, then nintendo can no longer rely on bad technology

Top Bottom