• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High End Graphics for Nintendo's hardware is inevitable...Eventually.

Woopah

Yeah. Only now they most likely won't use Nvidia's best and newest Tegra Atlan. All signs point to them using Tegra Orin.
I do believe that is mostly like is the product in the Nvidia leaks is coming in the next 18 months. Atlan isn't used in any available products yet right?

Tams

i think the biggest thing to me is Nintendo could leverage their partnership with nvidia to release something with a good amount of tensor cores and one up both MS and Sony in raytracing. But if they wait then they will lose that chance as I’m sure the mid gen consoles will have much better raytracing abilities.
Speculation, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo's partnership with Nvidia is something like this:

Nintendo: We need a relatively powerful, but energy efficient SoC that's cheap.
Nvidia: What do we do with Tegra?! No one wants it and we had to recall our tablet.
Nintendo: Oh, that's a nice SoC you have there? But... no one seems to want it... Tell you what, we'll buy millions of them, but your usually prices are... not great
(Desperate) Nvidia SoC team: Well, I guess we could and the sales numbers would make Jensen happy...
Nintendo: Good! Can you make some alterations?
Nvidia: You're not paying much for these, but we could do a few changes to the clock speeds.
Nintendo: Sounds good.

So no. I don't expect anything particularly custom from Nvidia for Nintendo. If anything, now that Nintendo have gone all in on Arm, that they will shop around for a SoC provider, just as they used to for their handhelds.

Last edited:

Tams

Apart from Metroid last year, Kirby this year and giving the remake of House Of The Dead a go, I don't touch the Switch. I never play portable, and trying to play anything on my 4K screen is tough. Graphics aren't everything to me but frame rate is, and playing at sub 30 fps is really hard to do coming from the PS5.

My wish was that Nintendo would continue with the power gains in consoles after the Gamecube. Unfortunately the Wii was a success NOT because of it's weak power but because it was a gimmick (and had some amazing games). Seems like they thought that they didn't need to be the most powerful to win and again, unfortunately, the Switch is killing it so they seem justified in their position. I wish they'd try to compete with Sony/Microsoft so we could get GTA5, COD, Battlefield, Assassins Creed and all those big 3rd party games that only appear on the other consoles to appear on a Nintendo console. If they got all those big releases then I would seriously have no need for any other console. Nintendo's 1st party games are unmatched and having every other game available would be a dream come true.
The Gamecube didn't sell well. It was as damaging as the Wii U, but it didn't do Nintendo much good.

In Europe at least, after a couple of years they were bargain basketing them.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The less high end the graphics were, the higher the sales, almost always. There's a reason for that. I understand it, but even if I say it out loud here, people will never get it. So it's a waste of energy. You're welcome to keep at it, must be fun for you. It isn't for me.

Nintendo probably wait another 2-3 years, then stuff a 3050 into a 'Switch Pro' with DLSS on and call it next gen lmao, just jokes
A 3050 tier switch 2 would be incredible, I don't know what you're on about mate.

Nobody should be bitching about graphics on anything these days except for the current switch and series s.

Nintendo is going to make INCREDIBLE looking games on their next hardware but a bunch of idiots are still going to balk.

People constantly complaining about graphics these days is like someone winning millions on a game show but all they do is bitch about the taxes.

I get it, switch is underpowered for sure, but some games are still really good looking like Luigi 3 or Mario Odyssey. If its successor can produce better graphics than last
gen consoles + dlss, then there is NOTHING to complain about. Image quality is my main gripe on current switch.

MacReady13

The Gamecube didn't sell well. It was as damaging as the Wii U, but it didn't do Nintendo much good.

In Europe at least, after a couple of years they were bargain basketing them.
My point is, it wasn't the fact it was powerful that it failed but Nintendo seem to believe that is the case hence not competing with Sony/Microsoft anymore in terms of power. Which is a shame.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
you will never reach a point where steaming is better than a local machine.

Just like WiFi will never be as fast as a Physical cable.
Yeah but we will reach a point where everyday objects contain more than enough performance to play anything. Maybe even everything around you working together.
That’s more or less the point the op is getting at.. I think.

ManaByte

Gold Member
My point is, it wasn't the fact it was powerful that it failed but Nintendo seem to believe that is the case hence not competing with Sony/Microsoft anymore in terms of power. Which is a shame.
They don’t have to. They own the Japanese gaming industry at this point.

SeraphJan

Before Wii Nintendo was always the power house when it comes to hardware spec, GC > PS2, N64 > PS1, SFC > MD etc.

It was after Wii they started their gimmick ways as well as start building their new fanbase, and these new fanbase plus their huge fanbase from the handheld market inevitably lead to the success of Switch. But in order to continue to compete, they would have to keep up with their hardware, expect newer iteration utilizing DLSS to be the key point, they might not be as powerful as PS5 or XSX, but they will still be able to compete with enhanced perceivable graphic and more affordable price point.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
People constantly complaining about graphics these days is like someone winning millions on a game show but all they do is bitch about the taxes.

I get it, switch is underpowered for sure, but some games are still really good looking like Luigi 3 or Mario Odyssey. If its successor can produce better graphics than last
gen consoles + dlss, then there is NOTHING to complain about. Image quality is my main gripe on current switch.
The critique lives in a reality where no other consoles exist yet they know Nintendo isn’t the most powerful.

ByWatterson

Sure?

But I've lost interest. During the GameCube days they were apace. During the Wii/U days they were a gen behind. Now they're two. Just don't care anymore.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Nintendo has the highest selling video game console and is rolling in profit like Uncle Scrooge’s money bin, yet people are trying to argue that they need to better compete against two systems they are handily beating in NA and EU and have nearly obliterated in JPN.
Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

Gifmaker

Had you people bought more gamecubes, we wouldn't be in this situation today.

Seriously. Some need to realize that the only thing, literally only thing that Nintendo can gain by throwing their hat in the ring of graphics power again, is to re-enter the direct competition with Sony and Microsoft for the most powerful console - and that is historically a battle they will lose. Their entire development and design philosophy is so much not focused on graphics power that they simply cannot beat MS and Sony on their turf. So why should they risk doing so when people will only end up buying Playstations and PCs and Xboxes over their consoles anyway?

No, they are standing their ground, and doing so very successfully. They have little reason to change anything. Also, when the Switch came out, it was far from unimpressive. Keep in mind we are talking about a little tablet here, not a big ugly box with 10 times the power consumption.

Last edited:
I stopped buying Nintendo consoles after the Gamecube. You must be a complete dreamer to think that Nintendo will ever release high end console again.

They will alwaye be a gen behind because they have a different business philosophy.(Earn profits with outdated hardware😉)

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Nintendo is lazy and cheap.As long as people buy they games which are dirt cheap to make and most of the time all the same.Nintendo could make something like Series S very cheap without some Tablet controller or other gimmicks.They could sell it for 299.I find the switch horrible because it’s half console half handheld.This way the console is useless because the game must be playable on the very underperforming handheld.They should go back to one handheld and one real home Console and make a decent modern home console with newest tech for 299 or 349 dollars
Lazy and cheap is a stretch.

The thread title is complete nonsense.
A handheld will never have high end graphics (at least not at a reasonable price range). I mean look at the steam deck, much more powerful, but nowhere even close where you could call it high end.

Sure the switch will get a version with better graphics, but not high end.
And if you think Nintendo would go back and make a classic home console, you are dreaming. The mobile market is just so big, that they never want to go back.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Considering "High End" changes on a month by month basis, where newer games push the limits of current hardware, Nintendo consoles are never going to be able to keep up, they will always be a generation behind in terms of graphical power as long as they carry on with this handheld obsession

Top Bottom