• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High End Graphics for Nintendo's hardware is inevitable...Eventually.

Last year, I made a thread about Nintendo's "Withered Technology" Philosophy that emphasizes how even though a few of us know Nintendo goes at their own pace in hardware fidelity, many still are impatient or yearn for them to "keep up" with the current tech for just one generation. But it is not just consumers demanding a graphical boost from Nintendo machines now, but their games themselves.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury showed us a glimpse of an open-world Mario game. Pokémon Legends: Arceus attempts to backtrack Pokemon's lore by moving the series forward with a more open-world landscape. (take into account the massive 3D animation work that hasn't been yet realized for every single pokemon, old and new)

And if the delay of The Sequel to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and the development hell of Metroid Prime 4 is not another hint of Nintendo's "withered" philosophy withering away to these giant IPs (demanding bigger and stronger hardware), I am not sure they can ignore it for much longer. But they will. Let's also not be ignorant to Stylized graphics being any less demanding than realistic.

As I said, they will continue their philosophy as it has not failed them in any way and will only challenge their game developers to use what they have until the high-end graphical standards become ...withered.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I will do the question I'm doing since the first rumor about Switch Pro started...

Are there anything that Nintendo can use for a more powerful Switch? I don't think so.
nVidia is probably near to launch something but I believe Nintendo is waiting.

Woopah

I will do the question I'm doing since the first rumor about Switch Pro started...

Are there anything that Nintendo can use for a more powerful Switch? I don't think so.
At this point but would probably be worth Nvidia making a custom SoC for Nintendo with DLSS functionality. Something based off one of their existing lines of course.

I believe that is what the Nvidia leaks indicated.

daveonezero

Banned

doesn't the tegra 2 exist?

Man going from the GOAT SNES to the N64 then the downward spiral of GameCube to Wii was super hard on a lot of people.
Seriously.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
doesn't the tegra 2 exist?

Seriously.
Tegra 2 is older and way weaker than Tegra X1.
Tegra X1 is like the 6th or 7th generation of Tegra.

If you mean Tegra X2 there is no difference in performance between them... 437 to 750 GFLOPS... the issue with Tegra X2 is that the CPU side is probably not optimized for game tasks.

Last edited:
Nintendo is lazy and cheap.As long as people buy they games which are dirt cheap to make and most of the time all the same.Nintendo could make something like Series S very cheap without some Tablet controller or other gimmicks.They could sell it for 299.I find the switch horrible because it’s half console half handheld.This way the console is useless because the game must be playable on the very underperforming handheld.They should go back to one handheld and one real home Console and make a decent modern home console with newest tech for 299 or 349 dollars

Lethal01

Last year, I made a thread about Nintendo's "Withered Technology" Philosophy that emphasizes how even though a few of us know Nintendo goes at their own pace in hardware fidelity, many still are impatient or yearn for them to "keep up" with the current tech for just one generation. But it is not just consumers demanding a graphical boost from Nintendo machines now, but their games themselves.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury showed us a glimpse of an open-world Mario game. Pokémon Legends: Arceus attempts to backtrack Pokemon's lore by moving the series forward with a more open-world landscape. (take into account the massive 3D animation work that hasn't been yet realized for every single pokemon, old and new)

And if the delay of The Sequel to Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and the development hell of Metroid Prime 4 is not another hint of Nintendo's "withered" philosophy withering away to these giant IPs (demanding bigger and stronger hardware), I am not sure they can ignore it for much longer. But they will. Let's also not be ignorant to Stylized graphics being any less demanding than realistic.

As I said, they will continue their philosophy as it has not failed them in any way and will only challenge their game developers to use what they have until the high-end graphical standards become ...withered.

I don't think we have any indication that these games delays are due to technical limitations.

Pagusas

Elden Member

The apple m1 would be perfect, apple/nintendo partnership? Intels new GPU line is power optimized too.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nintendo is lazy and cheap.As long as people buy they games which are dirt cheap to make and most of the time all the same.Nintendo could make something like Series S very cheap without some Tablet controller or other gimmicks.They could sell it for 299.I find the switch horrible because it’s half console half handheld.This way the console is useless because the game must be playable on the very underperforming handheld.They should go back to one handheld and one real home Console and make a decent modern home console with newest tech for 299 or 349 dollars
Is lazy?!

Quezacolt

You can say lot's of things about nintendo, but one thing they aren't is lazy.
Even without the tech advantage, their catalogue of games is 95% of the time either good or great, there's rarely a bad game from them.
Their games still look great even without the horsepower the other consoles have, and they have no issues delaying a game, or even restarting development if development dont reach the quality they want. That's not something you can say about most of the industry.

Zeroing

Banned
Nintendo is like a rock on a violent ocean shore called “gaming industry” when they move, they roll….

Ok now seriously
Nintendo never abandons their ideas, Wii U was a flop at the same time the vita was… Sony quickly forgot the vita existed while Nintendo doubled down and the switch was born!

They could had the biggest gaming library because of their legacy yet they choose not! Nintendo seems to be in another dimension from the rest of the gaming industry. Nintendo choose to be as different as possible from the rest of the industry, they will definitely not chase graphics because they always focus on gameplay!

They can do both, but why would they?

Mercador

Generally, on the technical level, Nintendo is often 10 years behind the competition. This isn't necessary a bad thing, they have a big fanbase and I'm not the kind of the Nintendoomed. But features are often a gen or two back from Sony/MS.

KXVXII9X

How are they lazy and cheap? Why does everything need to mimick a PC? While Nintendo lacks in power, they have some of the best art direction on their titles. The Switch is a huge success for Nintendo and I am sure they are waiting until they can get a powerful enough mobile chip at an affordable price for consumers. Options are a good thing. There is a need for powerful handhelds and with the Steam Deck, and other handheld PC's, I'm sure healthy competition will drive Nintendo to make a successor when the time is right. Why do gamers oppose anything different and label it as a gimmick. At least Nintendo takes creative risks and offers experiences you can get anywhere else.

daveonezero

Banned
as far as mobile chips I feel like it was pretty cutting edge....or at least as modern as any other console. There is always a moment where finalizing hardware the next day something better will come out.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Man going from the GOAT SNES to the N64 then the downward spiral of GameCube to Wii was super hard on a lot of people.

The GameCube was awesome, and technically very competitive with the Xbox (and superior to the PS2 in most ways). Them not caring about processing power only started with the Wii, which was basically an overclocked GameCube.

But this is the first time they've been TWO generations behind power-wise. I really need that Switch 2 like yesterday...

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The GameCube was awesome, and technically competitive with the Xbox (and superior to the PS2 in most ways). Them not caring about processing power only started with the Wii, which was basically a GameCube Pro.
Nah GameCubes biggest issue was the disk size and no four shoulder buttons . Textures almost always took a hit in third party games and a lot of third party games didn’t even go to game cube because of disk size. It was definitely the beginning of their tech downward spiral coming off the industry leading snes and n64 designs.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nah GameCubes biggest issue was the disk size and no four shoulder buttons . Textures almost always took a hit in third party games and a lot of third party games didn’t even go to game cube because of disk size. It was definitely the beginning of their tech downward spiral coming off the industry leading snes and n64 designs.

The mini DVDs were a mistake, I agree (they were pretty awesome to handle though).

Gamecube was pretty strong for a console of its efficiency. It was the Wii that started their underpowered trend.

I think waiting out the current shortage would be the smartest thing to do. Switch is still selling like mad, so there's no reason to fight over new chips, and it gives them an excuse to wait for newer and more performant/efficient parts.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I won't dog-pile on you like you deserve. But you should really play some more Nintendo games it seems. Breath of the Wild at 4k running at a buttery smooth 60fps via emulation is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Ever. They deserve some criticisms for their lacking hardware, but what they manage to do with it is nothing short of amazing. Their design ethos is so strong that it absolutely blings the fuck out when it's run on more powerful hardware.

kiphalfton

Should have just made a poll asking when you think Nintendo will release hardware that will be on par with current gen hardware (i.e. PS5, XSX).

Like somebody else said, they’re about 2 generations behind, which puts them about 15-20 years behind technologically. Would be nice being able to play Nintendo games at 4k/60fps natively (I.e. not having to emulate it).

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
What is high end will keep changing, and Nintendo will keep not choosing that level of fidelity in order to maintain profit margin on their hardware.
Exactly, unlike Sony and Microsoft ( this one is pretty obvious example)
Nintendo is only a gaming company! They can’t afford to take extreme risks, unlike MS who until some years ago, kept f.cking up everything.

Anyone remember Sega? Yeah

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They don’t need to keep up, but they need to not be miles behind.

Yeah I agree they don't need to keep up; but they obviously can be just as behind as they are right now, as they keep killing it.. and they are.. well, most would consider, miles behind.

They will push further but it'll be whatever you can do with a ~$200 BOM at most.

Astral Dog

Its not a failure if their games are selling millions of copies (in some cases even more than the competition on more powerful hardware)

Yes, their system is limited because its designed as a small portable first,one that has to be sold at a mass market friendly price, but they CAN (and will) work with it for a few years more.

Nintendo's game and graphics design is NOT stagnant, its evolving. just not at the same pace as the others, that's what 'hardcore' gamers sometimes don't get. they will be shitting on Nintendo next gen when they release a far more powerful Switch 2(say, comparable to PS4 with modern features) with much prettier games because its not a PS5/Series X handheld, again. They left the power race many years ago for good reason, Nintendo designed their system to be popular in Japan as well as the West, and to be handheld friendly so more people can carry their favorite games were they go, its not for the nerds who sit on their gaming couch playing on their 8k monitor all day.

A portable device with high quality games is very healthy for this industry

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
They don’t need to keep up, but they need to not be miles behind.
Compared to other handhelds or docklables it is just behind the top end and at it’s released it was even closer.

That is taking into account battery life and other factors. They hit a pretty good balance spot. Even with the older SoC

Last edited:

RE4 GC was one of the best-looking games that gen. Compare it to the PS2 version, they almost look a half-generation apart and that's maybe underselling it.

PS2 having such weak video output (compared to GameCube, Dreamcast, and Xbox) didn't help, either.

bender

What time is it?
I like that Nintendo stays in their own lane. Weaker hardware lets them development games quicker and be far less risk adverse than the competition.

Tams

I'm a massive Nintendo fanboy. Adore almost everything they do (expect closing down online stores and too aggressive IP/Trademark protection). But...

laugh conan obrien GIF by Team Coco

Kumomeme

when they finally launch next generation switch, be it switch pro or switch 2, whatever it being called dont expect it gonna be stack with high end competition like PS5 or XSX.

my guess it gonna be on around level of PS4 the most. considering their 'history'. their new console gonna be one generation behind in term of performance.

they launch Wii during PS360 era with capability is around or bit better than PS2.

later they launch Wii U close to PS4/X1 which is capability is close with PS360(basically a turbo xbox 360 with more ram and more modern gpu)

Wii U is a failure, but they keep moving and launch Switch where it is capability is around with Wii U with more ram and better gpu.

now, both PS5 and XSX already launch so my guess it is gonna be on level with PS4 or X1. based on mobile SoC technology we got nowdays, for example Steamdeck as if we use teraflops as measurement, it is basically around PS4 level. not to mention how nintendo currently must prioritize hybrid nature of their console design so there gonna be certain limitation and they surely gonna set a certain launch price for it. knowing nintendo they gonna wait hardware price fall down over time before use it for new console, so im not suprise we get new Switch with current Steamdeck level of performance, 1or 2 years later in future even if there is new powerfull Steamdeck available that time.

not to mention Nintendo surely gonna keep their succesfull philosophy of Wii where they create weaker hardware to avoid directly clash with 2 main biggest competitor(Sony and MS) while creating their own market space.

i am kind of glad that they didnt launch next switch sooner because with advancement of A.I machine learning and upscalling technique, it would be wise if their next console would utilize those features.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
If Nintendo would just stop tricking people into spending billions on cheap bad games they would realize they can do so much better. I mean, anyone can get rich pumping out terrible games year after year. It’s the mendacity that kills me. Nintendo has to stop selling people what they don’t want because it is clearly not working.

Top Bottom