• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High On Life.... I love it. Anyone else playing this gem?

onesvenus

Since when did we give a fuck about steam reviews, as opposed to the industry standard Metacritic? I guess Choo-Choo Charles got it beat by having a 6.8k very positive review on Steam. Yet no one is talking about that game. Guess why.
You can say what you want about steam reviews but I hope even you can see those are not positive due to it being an Xbox exclusive because they are not playing it on Xbox

yazenov

It seems that people here enjoy the game, on Xbox and on Steam. Have you had a chance to play it?

No, I will not touch it with a ten-foot pole. I Have other better games to play that deserve my money and time. I check reviews first before buying games as I do not have time to try all the games for myself. That's what reviews are for.

I do not reward mediocre games and devs as I don't do charity (for games).

Kvally

Banned
No, I will not touch it with a ten-foot pole. I Have other better games to play that deserve my money and time. I check reviews first before buying games as I do not have time to try all the games for myself. That's what reviews are for.

No worries. I was just asking. I just finished the new God of War, and now I am playing High on Life. I enjoyed God of War and now I am enjoying High on Life. Not every game is for everyone. I had no plans to buy the game once I saw initial reviews. But now that more people have played it, it seemed like I was missing out.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Looks like this thread was a goldmine in terms of the banhammer

G8esqPK.jpg
image.png

Zathalus

Since when did we give a fuck about steam reviews, as opposed to the industry standard Metacritic? I guess Choo-Choo Charles got it beat by having a 6.8k very positive review on Steam. Yet no one is talking about that game. Guess why.
Who gives a shit about Metacritic? It's an aggregate of multiple reviewers with widely differing opinions and talents. People like that dude from Polygon who tried to play Doom are lumped in there. Rather pick a few reviewers that have tastes that align with yours and go from there.

According to Metacritic Immortality is a great game, but I got zero enjoyment out of it. Days Gone is apparently shit according to Metacritic but I had a blast with it.

It like relying on Rotten Tomatoes (who include people like Armond White) to tell you what a good movie is.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The humour in this game has more obvious self awareness than what I can say for current Rick & Morty which is just the writers injecting their fetishes every episode.

Rockondevil

I quite enjoyed it. Some of the humour was a bit eye roll worthy but otherwise it was fun.
I’ve never experienced Rick and Morty so if that’s a similar style I could understand burn out.

Hoddi

I'm having a blast with it. It's not haha funny in a way where they try to overload you with jokes but the dialog is still very entertaining.

I was never a huge Rick and Morty fan (though it had some great moments) so I wasn't expecting too much from this game. But I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

yazenov

Who gives a shit about Metacritic? It's an aggregate of multiple reviewers with widely differing opinions and talents. People like that dude from Polygon who tried to play Doom are lumped in there. Rather pick a few reviewers that have tastes that align with yours and go from there.

According to Metacritic Immortality is a great game, but I got zero enjoyment out of it. Days Gone is apparently shit according to Metacritic but I had a blast with it.

It like relying on Rotten Tomatoes (who include people like Armond White) to tell you what a good movie is.

Alot of people give a shit about it actually since it's being used by the industry as a barometer for successful from both consumers and producers for years. Bonuses are tied to whether their game reviews well, and it affects the sales trajectory for most games.

Like it or not, its a good filtration system to filter out the crap. Just because your opinion doesn't match the reviews of a game doesn't make it irrelevant. You said it yourself, its an aggregate website that weighs in a bunch of reviews score from different sources and then scores the game based on every reviews. So one or two, or several dump opinions like Polygon doesn't matter. What matters is the overall opinion of the reviewers. If the majority of them says your game is shit, then guess what ; its shit.

I mean, what alternatives does the general consumer have?

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned

Let us know if Choo Choo Charles is another hidden gem

johnjohn

User reviews have always been far more relevant than critic reviews.... Why would you care about an opinion from someone who's being forced to play the game?

xray49er

I had fun with it. Beat it and went back to get some easy achievements. I missed. Won't be able to 100 percent I just can't go looking for all the luglox boxes and I cannot get enough warp drives

Alot of people give a shit about it actually since it's being used by the industry as a barometer for successful from both consumers and producers for years. Bonuses are tied to whether their game reviews well, and it affects the sales trajectory for most games.

Like it or not, its a good filtration system to filter out the crap. Just because your opinion doesn't match the reviews of a game doesn't make it irrelevant. You said it yourself, its an aggregate website that weighs in a bunch of reviews score from different sources and then scores the game based on every reviews. So one or two, or several dump opinions like Polygon doesn't matter. What matters is the overall opinion of the reviewers. If the majority of them says your game is shit, then guess what ; its shit.

You can't be serious...

Banjo64

cumsessed
Or it's being overlooked because it's a below-average 64 Metacritic game? You can say the opposite, it's having some attention because it's an Xbox exclusive. Having a severe draught of games does this to you.

[/URL]

There are too many other games that deserve your attention and time, rather than rewarding a mediocre game.
Normal players who pay for the game seem to think it’s great.

cugTh4i.jpg

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I wish they actually made a real game out of that intro game.

Saw a gameplay movie about the game. Really loved that old school kinda game with the humor.

Much more fun than the rest of the game.

GymWolf

Oh i don't know, watching some gameplay instead of believing what a stranger with arguably less experience\skill than you says after rushing a game to get the review out in time??

Just an absurd idea i know.

I'm ok with consulting reviews to know average number of weapons, how many levels there are, if enemy variety is ok, average lenght etc., But sometimes they somehow get even this stuff wrong because like i said, they fucking rush games instead of playing normally like you would do, so they miss stuff or they just completely fuck up the pace of the game that is not meant to be rushed, it is not like a movie\most other products reviews.

I would never listen a review for important things like gameplay or how deep a combat system is.

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned

From the user reviews, it looks like a blast. Come back to me after you've completed it :messenger_grinning_sweat:
For some reason I thought you were recommending it.

Went back to check and let's say you're post and reaction history explains your outrage.

Listen, the adults will explain this to you.

Not everyone that plays game pass games have an Xbox. A lot of people in this thread, including myself in this instance, are playing on a thing called a PC.

High on life is currently still in top twenty best selling games on stream whilst being only one of two that aren't either free or in the sale.

The fact it's currently exclusive to platforms you don't have access to, doesn't need to hurt you so much that you need to enter a thread bemoaning the fact that people have the temerity to enjoy it.

Last edited:

mdkirby

Yeah its very fun, and pretty chill, I spent a good 15 mins just watching all the nonsense on one of the tv screens. Its a shame its on games pass and not ps+Extra, as the talking guns are PERFECT for utilising the dual sense features. I had planned to wait for that very reason, but having just wrapped up god of war, I wanted something light as a pallet cleanser, so gave it a go. If you like rick and morty then you'll likely love it, if you think rick and morty is annoying and stupid, then you'll hate it. Which I think came out pretty clearly in how it was received by different reviewers.

Topher

Gold Member
I spent a whole evening watching the entire thing lol.

I need to go back and watch Vampire Hookers. Funny thing is I remember that movie from when I was a kid. I was spending the night over at a friends house. His parents were the type that let him do whatever he wants. So we went to rent a movie from the local VHS store (this was before Blockbuster) and on the shelf was Vampire Hookers. My friend begged his dad to let us watch that. I was shocked that his dad was actually considering it. My parents would have slapped me sideways for even asking. Eventually his dad came to his senses and said no. Decades later.....here is that movie. This time.....I shall not be denied!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I need to go back and watch Vampire Hookers. Funny thing is I remember that movie from when I was a kid. I was spending the night over at a friends house. His parents were the type that let him do whatever he wants. So we went to rent a movie from the local VHS store (this was before Blockbuster) and on the shelf was Vampire Hookers. My friend begged his dad to let us watch that. I was shocked that his dad was actually considering it. My parents would have slapped me sideways for even asking. Eventually his dad came to his senses and said no. Decades later.....here is that movie. This time.....I shall not be denied!
I somehow never saw any of these movies, and we rented bottom of the barrel C films all the time. Like you said, not even the fancy movies at Blockbuster, the stuff that was in the back of the grocery store lol. It's gotta be one of the best video game "easter eggs" of all time.

Jayjayhd34

I really hope this is sarcasm but if it’s your truly missing out on some great games.

Just think of it this way, reviews are opinions at end of the day, and if one review gives good score that means chance could align with your taste.

Movies tv are the same too so many hours of enjoyment would lost if just listened average score.

Topher

Gold Member

For games like High on Life? Plenty. Word of mouth. The accessibility of Game Pass. User reviews on Steam. If you think metacritic is the only method in which to determine whether a game is worth your time then your vision is far too narrow. Metacritic being a "barometer" only really applies to corporate AAA games with a massive amount of marketing behind it. Those corporations need games to score well on metacritic for the game to be a financial success. Beyond that, it is just a consumer guide and for games like High on Life, word of mouth has effectively overcome a less than fantastic (but still decent) metacritic score. The game isn't universally praised but that is largely due to the "love it/hate it" aspect of the humor.

For myself, I think it is a really good game. And no, I don't need a "majority" to tell me what I should think. Weaponizing metacritic is just console warrior bullshit.

Orbital2060

Until I saw Tammy and the T Rex playing on the TV I thought it was a prank. Because of the ridiculous poster art. Then I remembered I saw this back in the 90s but Id completely blocked it out.

But is there any way to watch the other movies to the end, outside of Demon Wind? I tried but Gene would eventually turn the TV off. Or it be interrupted.

Bro-tron
is giving me hella trouble.
I ended up spamming the creature babies (including the pink mind control when theyre split up), and then being light on the jet pack
button when they do the poison wave so the charge lasts. Was pretty easy when I focussed on that.

Shut0wen

I mean the game generally has some good funny moments but its pretty glitchy and the shooting is also pretty shit as well, i wanted to enjoy the ganeplay for that strangers wrath itch in me but yeah the gameplay is pretty bad feels like a one man developer made this

gothmog

Gold Member
For games like High on Life? Plenty. Word of mouth. The accessibility of Game Pass. User reviews on Steam. If you think metacritic is the only method in which to determine whether a game is worth your time then your vision is far too narrow. Metacritic being a "barometer" only really applies to corporate AAA games with a massive amount of marketing behind it. Those corporations need games to score well on metacritic for the game to be a financial success. Beyond that, it is just a consumer guide and for games like High on Life, word of mouth has effectively overcome a less than fantastic (but still decent) metacritic score. The game isn't universally praised but that is largely due to the "love it/hate it" aspect of the humor.

For myself, I think it is a really good game. And no, I don't need a "majority" to tell me what I should think. Weaponizing metacritic is just console warrior bullshit.
I've put in a few more hours and I agree. The individual parts are not necessarily impressive but as a package it stays fun and pretty engaging.

RPS37

Until I saw Tammy and the T Rex playing on the TV I thought it was a prank. Because of the ridiculous poster art. Then I remembered I saw this back in the 90s but Id completely blocked it out.

But is there any way to watch the other movies to the end, outside of Demon Wind? I tried but Gene would eventually turn the TV off. Or it be interrupted.

I ended up spamming the creature babies (including the pink mind control when theyre split up), and then being light on the jet pack
button when they do the poison wave so the charge lasts. Was pretty easy when I focussed on that.

The solution to all of life's problems.
Giving this a shot later. Thanks

yazenov

For some reason I thought you were recommending it.

Went back to check and let's say you're post and reaction history explains your outrage.

Listen, the adults will explain this to you.

Not everyone that plays game pass games have an Xbox. A lot of people in this thread, including myself in this instance, are playing on a thing called a PC.

High on life is currently still in top twenty best selling games on stream whilst being only one of two that aren't either free or in the sale.

The fact it's currently exclusive to platforms you don't have access to, doesn't need to hurt you so much that you need to enter a thread bemoaning the fact that people have the temerity to enjoy it.

I'm flattered by you having a lot of free time digging into my post history just because my opinion doesn't match yours. It's weird though to have a different opinion from yours, but agreeing with the majority of the reviews that this game is shit gets you a warrior label.

As for your second point, I do have a decent gaming PC, and the only limiting factor for me is not hardware, but time. My valuable time is better spent elsewhere on better, more deserving games, and there are lots of them out there, just not this one.

People have been using Metacritic since 1999, for more than 23 years to determine the quality of games. It's nothing new and to label it as warrior bullshit is quite frankly laughable and absurd. Keep living in your small bubble. The game is shit but glad you enjoyed playing shitty games. You do you.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
My valuable time is better spent elsewhere on better, more deserving games, and there are lots of them out there, just not this one.

Apparently not because here you are....

t662KPA.png

and here....

0mCYmnH.png

People have been using Metacritic since 1999, for more than 23 years to determine the quality of games. It's nothing new and to label it as warrior bullshit is quite frankly laughable and absurd. Keep living in your small bubble. The game is shit but glad you enjoyed playing shitty games. You do you.

No, I said "weaponizing metacritic" is console warrior bullshit and yeah, it is. As is talking shit about a game you haven't played. Must suck to have to automatically agree with every metacritic score and not be able to form your own opinion.

Last edited:

yazenov

Apparently not because here you are....

t662KPA.png

No, I said "weaponizing metacritic" is console warrior bullshit and yeah, it is. As is talking shit about a game you haven't played. Must suck to have to automatically agree with every metacritic score and not be able to form your own opinion.

Is this some kind of gotcha moment? Because I'm simply replying to people who are quoting me, like you. Most of them are triggered by my opinion that this game is a turd, which is not actually my opinion but it is according to the majority of reviewers who actually played the game.

And since when did I "weaponize Metacritic"? I am just stating the fact that it's a 6.4 mediocre game according to the majority of the gaming websites who played the game.

Topher

Gold Member
Is this some kind of gotcha moment? Because I'm simply replying to people who are quoting me, like you. Most of them are triggered by my opinion that this game is a turd, which is not actually my opinion but it is according to the majority of reviewers who actually played the game.

Just showing which game you are spending your "valuable" time discussing. And you are entirely wrong about the "majority of reviewers". Most reviews for this game are positive. The majority of the metacritic scores are 70 and above. Reviewers consider 70 to be good. So what you are really doing here is referencing the minority of reviewers.

And since when did I "weaponize Metacritic"? I am just stating the fact that it's a 6.4 mediocre game according to the majority of the gaming websites who played the game.

Because your conclusion is based entirely on that score and you are using it to talk shit and troll. If this game were available on PlayStation we both know you wouldn't be here spending your "valuable" time.

Last edited:

yazenov

Because your conclusion is based entirely on that score and you are using it to talk shit and troll. If this game were available on PlayStation we both know you wouldn't be here spending your "valuable" time.
Actually, I wasn't trolling as I was replying to the absurd notion that this game was overlooked because it's not on PlayStation.

I merely stated that It was overlooked because it has a low Metacritic score of 6.4, which may have affected its sales. Having a high review score will generate more exposure and discussion for your relatively new and unknown ip. But you and other people were somehow hurt by my reply.

And again, I have a gaming PC more than capable of running this game. I have a much higher standard and lack the time for such mediocre games (according to the industry standard Metacritic). But I do enjoy our little discussion as it's rather amusing discussing games with emotional people such as yourself.

I'd say it's sadly overlooked here because it's not on PlayStation

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm flattered by you having a lot of free time digging into my post history just because my opinion doesn't match yours. It's weird though to have a different opinion from yours, but agreeing with the majority of the reviews that this game is shit gets you a warrior label.

how do you 'agree with reviews that the game is shit' when you haven't played it?

Ozriel

M$FT
Actually, I wasn't trolling as I was replying to the absurd notion that this game was overlooked because it's not on PlayStation

I merely stated that It was overlooked because it has a low Metacritic score of 6.4, which may have affected its sales. Having a high review score will generate more exposure and discussion for your relatively new and unknown ip. But you and other people were somehow hurt by my reply.

And again, I have a gaming PC more than capable of running this game. I have a much higher standard and lack the time for such mediocre games (according to the industry standard Metacritic). But I do enjoy our little discussion as it's rather amusing discussing games with emotional people such as yourself.

yes, Metacritic has often been used as a standard aggregator, but I think you know very well that a significant portion of the game's reception comes down to the humor. So when you go on and on about the game being mediocre and substandard, that's pretty much trolling since you know why the score is at that level. Exceptions to standards exist. And for something as subjective as humor, user reviews - such as the Steam user reviews - would actually serve as a much better quality consensus indicator than Metacritic or Opencritic.

I fully agree with Topher Topher in his conclusions about your motives in this thread.

The game has been great for me. Very entertaining. Fucked around with some of the bosses mind you. Flopping around like a fish out of water and spamming the attack buttons.

yazenov

yes, Metacritic has often been used as a standard aggregator, but I think you know very well that a significant portion of the game's reception comes down to the humor. So when you go on and on about the game being mediocre and substandard, that's pretty much trolling since you know why the score is at that level. Exceptions to standards exist. And for something as subjective as humor, user reviews - such as the Steam user reviews - would actually serve as a much better quality consensus indicator than Metacritic or Opencritic.

I fully agree with Topher Topher in his conclusions about your motives in this thread.

As I said, my post was in response to the sales discussion on why the game was "overlooked" , check back a few pages and you'll see that I was using Metacritic as a possible factor in affecting the game sales due to its low review score. But nice try.

Also, steam reviews are only relevant for PC gamers who are using the Platform. Most console-exclusive players depend on industry standards Metacritics and other review websites for opinions of game quality. So it's not even relevant for the majority of console players.

Topher

Gold Member
Actually, I wasn't trolling as I was replying to the absurd notion that this game was overlooked because it's not on PlayStation

And again, I have a gaming PC more than cable of running this game. I have a much higher standard and lack the time for such mediocre games (according to the industry standard Metacritic. But I do enjoy our little discussion as its rather amusing discussing games with emotional people such as yourself.

You've misrepresented the "majority" of reviewers on Metacritic entirely and have repeatedly called the game "shit" and "a turd" without ever playing it. So you can stop this nonsense that you have been misunderstood.

What's hilarious is that in the other High on Life thread you said you were too busy playing God of War R. Here is the God of War Ragnarok OT: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/god-of-war-ragnarök-g-ot-y.1644721/ 56 pages and your post count in that thread is zero. Shouldn't you be spending your "valuable" time discussing games you are playing rather than trolling threads of games you are not?

Top Bottom