• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High-Res Project Morpheus GDC-2015 Tech Demo Screenshots

Shin-Ra

Here's all the 3- and 4K screenshots I could find of the GDC Tech Demos from last month. Texture resolution's mixed on the two opposite extremes in the Bedroom Robot demo and the Heist-Interrogation/character faces are pretty rough, but otherwise each scene looks quite detailed and pleasing.

The 120fps Magic Controller demo's actually my favourite, very polished looking.

The Deep

16815554889_23466084b6_o.jpg

16794372337_f89eb7fca4_o.jpg

The London Heist

17001749855_5d2b1fa283_o.jpg

16379355124_a18865166d_o.jpg

Magic Controller and Bedroom Robots off-screen footage

MagicController_GDC2015.gif

Magic Controller (120fps)

16814017098_866ec1e497_o.jpg

16814278660_486a745753_o.jpg

Bedroom Robots

16815553739_96d8e3ee52_o.jpg

16814016728_6412d3a5a7_o.jpg

16381655773_9e592f3d48_o.jpg

4k images. NICE

edit: there is some resolution weirdness going on in the foreground of that shooter image. Some elements look like 720ßp upsacled stuff imposed over the final render.

Caayn

Why are these shots in such a high resolution? How much has been toyed around with these shots?

Shin-Ra

4k images. NICE

edit: there is some resolution weirdness going on in the foreground of that shooter image. Some elements look like 720ßp upsacled stuff imposed over the final render.
Looks similar to the realtime light bounce in The Last of Us.

Looks similar to the realtime light bounce in The Last of Us.
I doubt it would be using some real time GI stuff in a VR demo. But even then, that is not what I was talking about.
I mean this:
wat3fu9c.png

everything is native, but the foreground stuff is like... jpg`?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I doubt it would be using some real time GI stuff in a VR demo. But even then, that is not what I was talking about.
I mean this:

Those are the objects that you can pick up and move around and thus probably can cast and receive dynamic lighting. Maybe for that reason they get a special (fixed resolution?) rendering treatment.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This is using re-projection technology isn't it. It's likely re-projecting 60fps to 120fps.

Kinthalis

Banned
This is using re-projection technology isn't it. It's likely re-projecting 60fps to 120fps.

As I understand it, it doesn't do that. It does what the new Nvidia cards do for VR: a sort of frame warping based on feedback from the headset.

So it's nto interpolating a higher frame rate, it's interpolating a new orientation before the GPu spits out a new frame with the new orientation, so as to make the head trackign appear more responsive.

That head tracking latency (you mvoe your head but it takes a tiny moment more for the camera VR to follow) is a killer for VR, and even 60 FPS is probably not enough.

Reallink

Are these 4k strictly for press purposes, or were they actually rendering the demos in 4k --presumably for the SSAA or possibly internal 4k Morpheus prototypes?

Kinthalis

Banned
Are these 4k strictly for press purposes, or were they actually rendering the demos in 4k --presumably for the SSAA or possibly internal 4k Morpheus prototypes?

What do you think? Unless they were running the demos on PC's isntead of PS4's, then the demos were probably not running at 4K.

Durante

I can guarantee you that no PS4 was rendering the pictures in the OP as they are at 120 FPS. (Also, the actual rendered framebuffers for VR would look quite different)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Pretty impressive visuals. Mostly confined visuals so far, wonder what it would be like opened up.

Death2494

That is not what that is. This is the entire object being rendered at an entirely different resolution.
Way to make an non-impartial judgement based off a DEMO! Based on actual impressions of this demo, the main reaction they wanted from the audience was achieved. But hey lets nitpick anyway, continue.

BulletTheory

Neo Member
I mean this:
wat3fu9c.png

Definitely something weird going on there, kinda looks like a poor photoshop job?

The demos look nice anyway, cant wait to try morpheus myself!

Way to make an non-impartial judgement based off a DEMO! Based on actual impressions of this demo, the main reaction they wanted from the audience was achieved. But hey lets nitpick anyway, continue.
I was just being curious about an image. Yikes!

Definitely something weird going on there, kinda looks like a poor photoshop job?

The demos look nice anyway, cant wait to try morpheus myself!
Maybe someone did photoshop them.

As I understand it, it doesn't do that. It does what the new Nvidia cards do for VR: a sort of frame warping based on feedback from the headset.

So it's nto interpolating a higher frame rate, it's interpolating a new orientation before the GPu spits out a new frame with the new orientation, so as to make the head trackign appear more responsive.

That head tracking latency (you mvoe your head but it takes a tiny moment more for the camera VR to follow) is a killer for VR, and even 60 FPS is probably not enough.
You just described part of reprojection, which includes interpolation (augmented with movement data)

bj00rn_

Banned
You just described part of reproduction, which includes interpolation (augmented with movement data)

Yeah in the big picture you could say it's all basically variations on interpolation, but uses the single last frame as reference and happens earlier in the motion-to-photon process.

Top Bottom