• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High School journalists investigate their new principal. Days later she resigns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

defiant04

Banned
If she would've got away with it too if not for those damn kids...

* obscure Scooby Doo reference for those who happened to give a fuck *

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Jesus.

Our school paper had articles like "Is Abercrombie Really the Best Clothing Brand?" and they'd conclude that indeed it was

I used to do movie reviews (even covered the passion of the christ) and terrible libertarian-type editorials

hopefully no records still exist

Omadahl

Banned
Whatever firm or in-house human resources department hired that principal should be cleaned out immediately. Fifteen minutes on google would have eliminated that candidate. Mad props to those kids for doing thorough research and making sure to get the story right.

ZOONAMI

Why did they start investigating her though? Did the principal do like some weird things that got them thinking?

Seems kind of random to just start investigating someone out of a job.

Jackpot

Banned
But why were they looking into her past? 'm conflicted about this. Good that the fraud teacher is gone. But I don't know how I feel about students digging up the past of teachers. In this case there probably wasn't any ill intent, but if student newspapers aren't censored a rogue student could do a bunch of stuff.

Why did they start investigating her though? Did the principal do like some weird things that got them thinking?

Seems kind of random to just start investigating someone out of a job.

C'mon, use your head. A new principal has arrived, that means the school newspaper does a profile of them, including history such as "before becoming a teacher so-and-so earned their doctorate at the presitgious such-a-place" and in doing so realised the college didn't exist.

Apath

Technically she is not a fraud. She did get a degree and is correctly stating her credentials on her resume. It's just a bullshit degree.

At this point every teacher should be investigated, including the headmaster/superintendent doing the hiring.
Can't believe something like this would eek through. Most schools are very serious about background checks, especially when it comes to working with children.

This goes in a little detail about how the students initially got suspicious. Seems like the college wasn't what tipped them off.

the student news staff began looking into Robertson’s background after an electronic search of her name turned up several articles published by Gulf News about an English language school connected to Robertson in Dubai.

The 2012 articles said Dubai’s education authority had suspended the license for Dubai American Scientific School and accused Robertson of not being authorized to serve as principal of that school. The private, for-profit school received an “unsatisfactory” rating on Dubai education authority inspection reports every year from 2008 to 2012 and was closed in September 2013.

“That raised a red flag,” Baden said. “If students could uncover all of this, I want to know why the adults couldn’t find this..”

She had originally interviewed Robertson for a routine school newspaper story “to introduce the new principal to the community,” Baden said. “No one knew who she was.”

Here are the articles:
http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/education/school-principal-unauthorised-khda-says-1.1077715
http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/education/students-suffer-as-dubai-school-is-disciplined-1.1077146

But why were they looking into her past? 'm conflicted about this. Good that the fraud teacher is gone. But I don't know how I feel about students digging up the past of teachers. In this case there probably wasn't any ill intent, but if student newspapers aren't censored a rogue student could do a bunch of stuff.

Haha. Students look up their teachers all the time.

A lot of dumb teachers with open social media accounts of them saying and doing unprofessional things.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This story is awesome, but WaPo's sensationalized headline is driving me crazy. The students spent nearly a month investigating. The principal resigned mere days after their initial article was published.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom