• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High Voltage fucking sucks.

Beartruck

High Voltage probably got hired for this because they and Netherrealm both operate out of the Chicago area, and almost nobody else does. If they hired someone else to port it, there'd probably be a little more managerial difficulty due to the distance.

Were MK9 and Injustice bad ports? You'd think that after 2 NRS games they'd be familiar enough with NRS tech. MK10 uses UE3, no?
The Injustice PS4 port is pretty bad. The framerate in the single player out of battle goes into the single digits it feels like

gar3

My children are currently playing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on PlayStation 2. Tell me about it :-/

vg260

Fatalities and X-rays are essentially cutscenes. They don't affect gameplay at all. Not understanding the 30fps complaints.

That doesn't mean anything. It's in game, and rendered, it should be the max frame rate possible, doesn't matter if they're "essentially custscenes". The animation goes from smooth to half the frame rate. It's a jarring visual disconnect that happens during a match for x-rays, and there's no valid reason to limit them if the PC can handle it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
you serious? that makes zero sense because of the crazy combination of characters. you would have to make hundreds of videos to accommodate all combinations.

I imagine it's just that they capped the framerate at 30 fps because that doesn't make sense.

That is a good point. I must be wrong then... but even when I was watching some of them on YouTube the difference in video quality between the game itself and the fatality seemed really obvious...

BiggNife

For people who are considering byuing the console version instead of the steam version:
You know a shit pc port is still miles ahead then the console version, right?
Unless it's the netcode, if it's not good on pc then there is no hope for it unless you planned to play it locally and it's shit on consoles too.

I'll take slightly worse graphics over performance issues and random crashing, thanks.

ss_lemonade

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Voltage_Software

I had no idea they were chugging out mediocrity since Atari Jaguar days.

'Grats team!
KuGsj.gif

I remember Hunter the Reckoning being a decent title though on the xbox.

Buburibon

Port will be great once everything is unlocked. :p Downsampling from 4K makes it a very pretty game to look at.

What a botched launch, though. It's like amateur hour at HV and/or Valve.

vg260

I wonder how long they were working on this. It seems like they almost never make any sort of common sense changes for PC if it wasn't in the original game.

Icarus

Qloc handles all of the Capcom fighting games and they've been great. Sounds like WB might have done better going there.

IMACOMPUTA

My old Audio Production professor was (maybe still is?) the lead sound designer for High Voltage.
Anyways, this sounds bad.

Sounds like Miles Quaritch has been vindicated.

No-one wants to listen to the truth any more. High Voltage are terrible developers, their development history speaks for itself, but people would rather ignore this because being too critical of developers is seen as bad or not being fully appreciative of the hard work they do.

I'm sure a lot of developers do work hard, High Voltage aren't among them.

Nzyme32

Not to say I didn't expect it but how do you even fuck up a PC port of a fucking UE3 game

Ain't standard UE3. Still this is ridiculously comical of High Voltage. Wouldn't be surprised if they agreed to test this whole Steam stream download system so it could cover up the mess they have made.

Then again I shouldn't complain when the game was given to me for free

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
appart from the obviously broken "new install system" shit they tried (cant use story mode, cant use sub zero, scorpion or goro, so we are obviously missing files), game is running perfectly 60fps 1080p (cant downsample tho) fully maxed

but hey its a shit port

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
High Voltage probably got hired for this because they and Netherrealm both operate out of the Chicago area, and almost nobody else does. If they hired someone else to port it, there'd probably be a little more managerial difficulty due to the distance.
Why hire someone else? Why can't NR make the PC version along with others? Sure, it will probably take more time to release the game on every platform day one, but in the end we may get a much better product.

GamerJM

Banned
It's both sad and funny at the same time that a company like this has existed for as long as it has and pretty much functioned in the exact same way as in the mid 90s when so many other game companies have closed down.

And some people tried to defend their shitty port work with the Saints Row 4 remaster.

Shitty studio who does shitty work. Doesn't matter what publisher is funding them and what tech they are working with.

appart from the obviously broken "new install system" shit they tried (cant use story mode, cant use sub zero, scorpion or goro, so we are obviously missing files), game is running perfectly 60fps 1080p (cant downsample tho) fully maxed

but hey its a shit port
What are your specs? Issue seems to be on midline hardware than on high-end PCs.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I hate to sound harsh but how do they keep getting work?

It's pretty fucked when you couple a preorder bonus with a botched launch, so you can either wait for impressions and pay extra for the bonus or take the risk and preorder and wind up with a shit port.

NRS burning through their goodwill with me for a while now.

Algebrah

Holy Shit! I just learned that High Voltage is responsible for that shameful ZoE HD Collection. Fuck them forever. That game deserved better. Didn't Konami come in and fix it later?

Uraizen

Banned
Holy Shit! I just learned that High Voltage is responsible for that shameful ZoE HD Collection. Fuck them forever. That game deserved better. Didn't Konami come in and fix it later?

They got Hexadrive to fix the PS3 version of ZoE2 specifically.

Top Bottom