• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High Voltage fucking sucks.

jett

D-Member
Why do they keep getting hired? They must be cheap as fuck. Mortal Kombat X is the latest victim in a string of technical embarrassments.

I'm not getting a constant 60fps in 1080p on my stuff either. I know for a fact that my pc is above the recommended specs. So hopefully its more because of the game not being fully downloaded.

MY specs:
Intel i7 4790k 4.0 ghz
16 gb ram
Amd Radeon r9 290x 4.0 gb

The only AA option is FXAA.

Xrays force the framerate to 30 no matter how good your hardware is. Durante pls.

Performance is identical after being fully downloaded.

Anyone able to get the game to run at actually full screen when it's not at the native resolution?

Konami had to hire another developer to fix the shitshow they made when they ported Zone of the Enders 2 to the PS3, for fuck's sake.

Enough is enough, man.

I'm sure they made a bad port on purpose. In other words is the vitriol really necessary? I bet they still worked their asses off to get the game to you even in that state.

I don't have a problem calling out a bad port, but I think calling out developers in such a rude fashion is in poor taste. Don't you want them to post here and answer questions? Why would they if this is the reaction they get?

Kemal86

They did Saints Row 4 next-gen and Gat out of Hell. The performance was super shit on PS4, one second it would be 60 then drop to sub 30.

jaxpunk

Xrays and fatalities are 30 fps on consoles too.

I look forward to playing your companies port of a popular gaming franchise.

BiggNife

After hearing High Voltage was working on it and seeing BundleStars selling it for $45 before it even released, I had a feeling the PC port might be sub-par. Glad I waited and ordered the PS4 version last night.

They did Saints Row 4 next-gen and Gat out of Hell. The performance was super shit on PS4, one second it would be 60 then drop to sub 30.

Yeah, they didn't do a very good job porting Saints Row IV because of its framerate issues, and Gat out of Hell left a lot to be desired.

Grief.exe

After hearing High Voltage was working on it and seeing BundleStars selling it for $45 before it even released, I had a feeling the PC port might be sub-par. Glad I waited and ordered the PS4 version last night.

That's pretty standard PC prices.

Ridley327

Xrays and fatalities are 30 fps on consoles too.

I look forward to playing your companies port of a popular gaming franchise.

Do I have to make a movie before calling something like Hercules in New York a total pile of shit? Am I even expected to make a movie after doing the same?

Yikes. That's disappointing to hear. Seeing as Mortal Kombat X is Unreal Engine-based, a reasonably well-optimized port shouldn't even be that herculean of a task.

Nyoro SF

Looking at the list of games they've worked with it looks like they do a ton of licensed work, which is usually a warning indicator of low quality work.

BiggNife

The full price was still $60, though. Like it was on consoles. And BundleStars (who have made a bunch of deals with WB in the past) suddenly had the game for $45 for 2 days only a week before release and before anyone knew how the port was.

I know Steam games having 10-20% off pre-order deals on Steam isn't unusual, but the way this was specifically handled was fishy to me.

ItIsOkBro

the high voltage cycle

a lot of people buy the high voltage port -> high voltage makes another port -> high voltage sucks -> a lot of people buy the high voltage port

vulva

I'm gonna guess this is what happens. Multiple companies bid for the same project (porting X game over) and High Voltage puts out a bid that looks reasonably cheap plus include their resume of previous jobs. Most companies don't actually care to look at the quality of the jobs, rather just see the established names on their resume. Mix that with a low cost bid and they'll get any job they want, really.

Uraizen

Banned
That's definitely not their fault, but some engine limitation to avoid some bugs (or maybe it's pre-rendered?).

MK9 had 60fps x-rays and they did that port.

The full price was still $60, though. Like it was on consoles. And BundleStars (who have made a bunch of deals with WB in the past) suddenly had the game for $45 for 2 days only a week before release and before anyone knew how the port was.

I know Steam games having 10-20% off pre-order deals on Steam isn't unusual, but the way this was specifically handled was fishy to me.

GMG had it for $43 and the premium for $60. It's not uncommon for games to get these prices on PC. Both are legit places to buy games from, btw.

So many better alternatives to them exist. The only reason I can give for why they keep getting return business is because they are relatively cheap. I guess that shows how much WB/Netherealms value their PC customers.

luffeN

Well don't you think that the employers should also be blamed? They want a quick n dirty port and HVS doesn't say no.

Edit: What Nintendojitsu said.

I was playing at 1440P for a few matches with no framerate issues outside of X-Rays dropping the framerate to 30 which is frustrating but I'm not sure how much control they have over that. It's only just come out so this seems a bit presumptuous.

780ti, i53570K

jaxpunk

Do I have to make a movie before calling something like Hercules in New York a total pile of shit? Am I even expected to make a movie after doing the same?

Are you saying the movie is a pile of shit, or trying to say that you understand the movie was shit because the catering was cheap, the cameras they use must be cheap etc etc. I get where your going.

Squishy3

It's a pretty average practice. Name a digital distributor that isn't run by EA, Ubisoft or Valve and they'll probably have deals on games.

Before GMG opened the VIP section of the site they'd be giving out a coupon code for 15-20% off any given new release for weeks, and would keep releasing more until the day the actual game came out.

This is just how the PC market is, there's actually digital competition, so stores will try to undercut each other. And Steam keys cost nothing for devs to generate, so that's how 3rd-party sellers can afford to give discounts on them.

sleepykyo

It was kind of cheap considering MK9 and Goro were being thrown it. Might have bite if wasn't for HVS working on the port.

I'm gonna guess this is what happens. Multiple companies bid for the same project (porting X game over) and High Voltage puts out a bid that looks reasonably cheap plus include their resume of previous jobs. Most companies don't actually care to look at the quality of the jobs, rather just see the established names on their resume. Mix that with a low cost bid and they'll get any job they want, really.

Third port of a NRS game in a row though. It isn't that WB doesn't care enough to look at the quality. Consumers have voted that HVS is good enough.

It's a pretty average practice. Name a digital distributor that isn't run by EA, Ubisoft or Valve and they'll probably have deals on games.

Before GMG opened the VIP section of the site they'd be giving out a coupon code for 15-20% off any given new release for weeks, and would keep releasing more until the day the actual game came out.

This is just how the PC market is, there's actually digital competition, so stores will try to undercut each other. And Steam keys cost nothing for devs to generate, so that's how 3rd-party sellers can afford to give discounts on them.

GMG used to do even better and had 33% codes around the time Sleeping Dogs and Hitman: Absoluteshit came out

RM8

I bought it because other than the awful netcode, MK9 was fine on PC. I thought "well, maybe they'll improve the netcode a bit this time!". To be fair it turns out that the netcode sucks on consoles too, but then the game is launched like this :( Lol, just imagine the last gen versions (also ported by them).

I am currently installing the PC version, so I've got no clue how it'll run on both my desktop and laptop.

If I have to lower the settings for the thing to run at a smooth 60 FPS, then so be it.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Locking FPS to 30 in in-game menus, during cut-scenes, x-ray moves, fatalities and so on is just ridiculous. This needs to fucking stop! I really hope that someone will fix this nonsense cuz it's frustrating as hell. Whoever think this was a good idea should be fired immediately.

Ehhh, the poor performance issues will likely get patched. Injustice launched with plenty of bugs depending on what hardware you had and they patched it relatively quickly.

Good luck getting good netcode though.

That doesn't excuse this shit one bit though. There's a reason I've harped on High Voltage in almost every MKX thread.

I'm sure they made a bad port on purpose. In other words is the vitriol really necessary? I bet they still worked their asses off to get the game to you even in that state.

I don't have a problem calling out a bad port, but I think calling out developers in such a rude fashion is in poor taste. Don't you want them to post here and answer questions? Why would they if this is the reaction they get?

if they keep taking on jobs they can't finish properly they still fucking suck

Handy Fake

tumblr_mx3izopTt81raip6qo1_400.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All the publishers were just that impressed with their Quantum3 engine demonstration. If they could do that on Wii they can surely do anything!

High Voltage is a vendor, some of the things you complain about are the direct result of choices Nether Realm Studios made in development.

vulva

It was kind of cheap considering MK9 and Goro were being thrown it. Might have bite if wasn't for HVS working on the port.

Third port of a NRS game in a row though. It isn't that WB doesn't care enough to look at the quality. Consumers have voted that HVS is good enough.

It's possible that they, as a team, were just easy to work with as well. Contracts like this can be directly related to personal ties and relationships. If NRS/WB liked how the communication in the process went, then this could be a major factor.

Airan

Were MK9 and Injustice bad ports? You'd think that after 2 NRS games they'd be familiar enough with NRS tech. MK10 uses UE3, no?

Top Bottom