• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Duff calls black photographer shooting kids a "creep", social media freaks out

No it dose not. I am very aware of my surroundings and people mostly take pictures of themselves or their friends . Not some kids at a soccer game lol
You have appeared in more random people’s photos and selfies than you will ever know. You are on CCTV every day. Random store owners and employees have access to your pictures and recordings. Photographers have taken pictures that may include your vehicle and I’m sure your property is on ordinance survey maps or google maps.

There is no right to privacy when in public, as much as it may discomfort some people.

Last edited:
What if the guy is much bigger than you. Srs. You go and ask nicely?

giphy.gif

I hope you would be OK with people operating their equipment within the boundaries of the law, yes.
So what? You think the law gives you a good excuse to film people all you want? I’m not of those people who always takes the law at face value and by the way it’s only applicable to government areas accessible to the wide public. If they ask you to stop you should stop. It’s called not being an asshole.

Last edited:
You have appeared in more random people’s photos and selfies than you will ever know. You are on CCTV every day. Random store owners and employees have access to your pictures and recordings. Photographers have taken pictures that may include your vehicle and I’m sure your property is on ordinance survey maps or google maps.

There is no right to privacy when in public, as much as it may discomfort some people.
There is a HUGE difference from me simply being in the background of your photos (I know because I am a videographer/photographer ) as apposed to you being the focal point of the shot which is what this man was doing. He was using a telephoto lens to take up close shots of kids.

Fun Fanboy

Banned
Why isn't he just called a photographer. Why the black part? It's like that old joke.

What do you call a black pilot?

A pilot! You racist mutha fuckas!

Why isn't he just called a photographer. Why the black part? It's like that old joke.

Racism has lost all meaning. You calling me white is no more or less “racist” than saying someone is black. If a black person gets upset because I described him as black then I simply do not want to talk to that person. Just like everyone calling out this lady being a “racist” when she was just confronting someone being a creep.

There is a HUGE difference from me simply being in the background of your photos (I know because I am a videographer/photographer ) as apposed to you being the focal point of the shot which is what this man was doing. He was using a telephoto lens to take up close shots of kids.

There is very little difference within this context of you being in the background of a shot and being the focal point when It comes to being recorded on someone else’s device, being streamed, or being published. If your in the pictures, you are in the pictures. this guy was snapping pics of a kids game. As a photographer I’m sure you can see the potential for some good dramatic and wholesome shots.

Without knowing this guy, who he works for, if he was out shooting for the day or solely for that game, I cannot comment on why he was there other than to capture the game. But I can tell you, he didn’t break any laws, and had every right to shoot. Photography is not a crime, what he could do with those shots could be criminal, but this Isn’t the minority report,

There is very little difference within this context of you being in the background of a shot and being the focal point when It comes to being recorded on someone else’s device, being streamed, or being published. If your in the pictures, you are in the pictures. this guy was snapping pics of a kids game. As a photographer I’m sure you can see the potential for some good dramatic and wholesome shots.

Without knowing this guy, who he works for, if he was out shooting for the day or solely for that game, I cannot comment on why he was there other than to capture the game. But I can tell you, he didn’t break any laws, and had every right to shoot. Photography is not a crime, what he could do with those shots could be criminal, but this Isn’t the minority report,
No you are completely wrong. What you decide to be the subject of your photos determines everything that goes into making it. He was taking up close shot of kids, not wide angle landscape shots where you can barely make out who is who. I’m sure you are aware of the importance of context and intent. I’m not arguing he was breaking the law that is not the discussion. The discussion is that this guy was taking deliberate focused photos of children whom one mom did not approve of. In film school they teach you to show respect to the subjects you are filming.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So what? You think the law gives you a good excuse to film people all you want? I’m not of those people who always takes the law at face value and by the way it’s only applicable to government areas accessible to the wide public. If they ask you to stop you should stop. It’s called not being an asshole.

The law does give people an excuse to film or photograph people in public areas, yes.

I would be respectful of people's kids personally, but assaulting people who you think are being an asshole is probably not going to get you far in life.

demigod

No you are completely wrong. What you decide to be the subject of your photos determines everything that goes into making it. He was taking up close shot of kids, not wide angle landscape shots where you can barely make out who is who. I’m sure you are aware of the importance of context and intent. I’m not arguing he was breaking the law that is not the discussion. The discussion is that this guy was taking deliberate focused photos of children whom one mom did not approve of. In film school they teach you to show respect to the subjects you are filming.

Film school, lol. Tell that to the paparazzis and news outlets. I’m sure all the criminals enjoy their photo being taken without their consent.

I am talking about being in photographs taken by other people when you are in public. And no matter how aware you are, you are in many. Subject matter or not, people have footage of you and you don’t know about it.

He may have been taking up close action shots of a sports game (we don’t actually see what he has taken) so let’s presume he has for conversation.

He was doing nothing wrong lawfully or even morally. She done nothing wrong by asking him to stop, but she was a dickhead and he retaliated with an attitude.

She can take her kid to private facilities should she not want her kid risk being shot by professional or amateur photographers. Context and intent is important as you said, and we don’t know either.

Last edited:

pulga

Banned

because its relevant to the shit flinging going on, many people are calling her a racist over this. if it wasnt relevant i wouldnt have included it

MGHA

Im all in favor of the photographer. He was taking photos of a sport. If he were to be taking photos of kids at a playground, that would be different. That would be creepy.

pulga

Banned
Im all in favor of the photographer. He was taking photos of a sport. If he were to be taking photos of kids at a playground, that would be different. That would be creepy.
dont you think he shouldve stopped after Duff asked him to? kinda weird how he immediately defaulted to "its legal!" defense

MGHA

dont you think he shouldve stopped after Duff asked him to? kinda weird how he immediately defaulted to "its legal!" defense

That seemed like a reflex. Im sure hes been asked that before. I do agree that he should of stopped out of respect to the parent as they were in fact children.

epicnemesis

Had a photography class in high school, one assignment was to take candid pictures of kids playing. I went to the local park in my school uniform, but even being 17 and in a uniform I asked parental permission before snapping shots. I got like 1 or 2 people who said no and I wasn’t offended because it’s a weird ask.

This racism witch hunt is so out of control. You can’t comment on anything someone of a different race does without being labeled racist.

thelastword

Banned
I find that parents who are quick to think such negative thoughts are people trying to over-compensate for their own failings and guilt trips as parents.....So the time they're there with their kids, they oversell how much they care....

I get it, we need to protect our kids, but a guy taking a few photos at a soccer meet is not going to hurt your kids. He is not even near them and she's going off with some Hilary Duff will save the world with her white knight bat, for humanity spiel......Hilary was the one who actually made this whole affair creepy....If she feels that way then she should keep her kids sheltered at home forever.....you cant come and police public space because you think you are a celebrity and important...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
pretty sure if it was a lone white man standing around taking photos of her kid she would have flipped her shit just as much. as a child celebrity she has had a particular relationship with paparazzi.

so when i see the "oh but if he was white" takes i just like, no, that isn't going to work here. you are trying to turn one conversation into a different one. she is a celebrity who has fought against paparazzis for years. this isn't just some random behavior she decided to do because the man was black.

that's something all the Photography Freedom people are ignoring, she isn't just some random lady. she is a celebrity. she is a former child star. she has had confrontations with paparazzi in the past. all this has to be taken into account.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
Clearly a lot of you guys that are siding with Hillary have never done photography. This is a totally harmless and normal thing to do in a PUBLIC space and is absolutely necessary for a photographer to practice. People will overreact and make an issue about anything. I bet if she had asked nicely instead of running over there to boss someone around assuming she was right he would have obliged but the way she did it I wouldn't have stopped either.

Darth

Clearly a lot of you guys that are siding with Hillary have never done photography. This is a totally harmless and normal thing to do in a PUBLIC space and is absolutely necessary for a photographer to practice. People will overreact and make an issue about anything. I bet if she had asked nicely instead of running over there to boss someone around assuming she was right he would have obliged but the way she did it I wouldn't have stopped either.

I am a photographer. If somebody asks me to stop taking pictures of their kids I would. If you watched the video the guy was being a dick well before she pull her 15 million follower card (also a dick move).

Darth

No I'm asking how is it even racist? Why is the fact that he happens to be black even relevant? Isn't the accusation that he was being "creepy"?

Its not unless you are the typical resetera era mod where anything involving a black person is racist.

Top Bottom