• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary: Trump embraces the alt-right, a fringe racist element. Enough is enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDes

Excellent speech. Hillary pinpointed Trump's disturbing pattern of racism, from his statements to his proposed policies to his allies. The more I see her speak publicly, the more I admire her.

Can any thinking person really watch this woman give a speech like that, then see Trump spew his typical superlative-studded babble, and think "Yep, Trump would definitely be a better president"?
Trump didn't have Vince Benghazi murdered though

Par Score

Again, you're free to choose whatever heavy insults you like. Its the specific phrase you used, and maybe or probably its a language thing because if you went to 10 people here and presented them with a direct translation quote of "they are the lowest scum, best thimg is when they eventually go extinct" 10 out of 10 people will think its a Neonazi quote. So I guess sorry if that caused the confusion. Personally I would probably call most of them (alt right) bigoted manbabies.

You're tone policing in favour of actual Nazis.

You're a comically exaggerated image macro come to life.

Which is all more impressive seeing how Ireland is going through a crisis themselves. Really interesting compared to Greece.

Also Spain and Portugal. Fortunately not all countries fall to the far right.

Can't speak for Spain but here it took all left parties to form a coalition in order to do it.

We still have a lot of racism & xenophobia around here, even if as usual nobody wants to acknowledge it, especially due to our history with our African colonies.

EDIT: before another Portuguese reads this is wrong, these are 2 separate sentences, not saying that "oh...and right are the racists!".

This is why these elections make no sense to us outside of the US. It makes no sense that Trump has gotten so far, it makes no sense that Clinton could lose this, it makes no sense that people who aren't blatantly racist actually ask themselves who they should vote for, it makes no sense that some people call Trump the "lesser evil".

All of this makes no sense.
I agree with the lesser evil thing but let's not pretend that Europe doesn't have its fair share of far right political parties

That's not necessarily true. Primarying a Republican incompetent requires some sort of local organization, something Trump's ilk have shown no evidence of having unlike the Tea Party. High profile Presidential primaries are not the same thing as primaries for local races, though even this year Trump supporters have been voting for establishment Republicans in primaries.

The future will be telling, but right now I'm not sure that vague indications about a bill that is only theoretical and not going to get a vote anytime soon if ever really says that much. Republicans will have reason to obstruct any bill coming to the floor in the first 2 years of Hillary's Presidency knowing that they will dominate Congress again after 2018 which has an impossible map for the Democrats to defend.

Yup, I'm getting serious 2008 flashbacks here.

Funny thing is, Hillary back then quite rightly mocked Obama for his post-partisan delusions.

In Europe there are currently some frictions between catholics and muslims, but it's on a far lower scale that what the media would make you believe.

However, you shouldn't compare the idiots in Europe with your alt-right, as they're not nearly as malicious. They may be fools and xenophobes, but they don't hack accounts of black celebrities, don't see their governements as conspiring against them, and they don't harass women because they're women.

The alt-right is not limited to US borders. Europe has plenty of its own fascists at the moment.

Dalibor68

Banned
You're tone policing in favour of actual Nazis.

You're a comically exaggerated image macro come to life.
It's amazing how diverting 0,1mm from the official line gets you piled on and smeared with "you're defending nazis" nonsense. Absolutely toxic behavior.

Pyrokai

Okay.....I realize this isn't indicative of anything, but why exactly DOES this video have nearly 10k more Dislikes than Likes? What is the pattern or chain of events that causes this? Whether it means anything or not, is still sad to see :(

Ozigizo

Okay.....I realize this isn't indicative of anything, but why exactly DOES this video have nearly 10k more Dislikes than Likes? What is the pattern or chain of events that causes this? Whether it means anything or not, is still sad to see :(

It means it got posted to reddit at some point.

platocplx

Alt righters brigading or using some tool to manipulate the voting.

Zukkoyaki

Alt-right and other crazies thrive on the internet. It's their safe haven where they can sit in their echo-chambers the easiest and feel the most empowered. They're the type of people that would camp the Clinton YouTube channel just waiting for another video to dislike.

Great fucking speech. This filth needs to be called out clearly, blatantly, using the biggest megaphone. Brietbart is also the lowest scum of "news" websites, and it should be deeply disturbing to everyone what kind of relationship Trump has with it, and how their readers love him. The worst is how these kinds of sites cry victimhood in these situations when they're called out for the obvious, while they victimize large groups of people every single day.

Screen_Shot_2016_08_26_at_9_14_26_AM.jpg

In regards to the wording - when you hear "the lowest scum ... their kind will go extinct" you will think of white supremecists/hardcore bigots/etc typically using this language, which is why I found it ironic that someone unironically used it in an arguement against said people. That doesn't mean "Both sides are equally bad! I'm secretly voting Trump", it means despite being on the right side you should still not stoop to a low level/use such inciting language imo.
A few years from now, you're going to look back at your argument and cringe. I would know, I used to make similar arguments and now I'm embarrassed that I ever did. Its silly.

Like she mentioned, the alt-right is an online movement. They are everywhere down voting this video, down voting the Ghostbusters video, and hacking Leslie Jones' website. They are all one in the same.

Basically, Trump's campaign hacked Leslie Jones' website.

Pyrokai

Thanks for the answers, guys. All this stuff makes me hate some aspects of the Internet and its enabling powers for groups like this. I'm against regulating the web, but man....... With this Alt Right rise plus the Leslie Jones stuff, something needs to be done :(

Bluenoser

The worst, and I mean the absolute worst, scary, disturbing, bat shit crazy part of all of this is the sheer number of people who are either A) ignorant as fuck, thinking Trump will do great things for America, and B) like minded as him and his followers.

It makes me want to vomit over and over, and I'm not even a freaking American citizen.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The worst, and I mean the absolute worst, scary, disturbing, bat shit crazy part of all of this is the sheer number of people who are either A) ignorant as fuck, thinking Trump will do great things for America, and B) like minded as him and his followers.

It makes me want to vomit over and over, and I'm not even a freaking American citizen.

I'd say at least half of Trump supporters hate Clinton like if she was a woman's version of Hitler or Satan, while the other half are yeah... bigots/racists/xenophobes/etc.

I'm not sure what Clinton has done to deserve the former, but to think that so many people would prefer Trump over her, no matter what bullshit come out of his mouth, is mindblowing.

Lmo911

I'm not sure what Clinton has done to deserve the former, but to think that so many people would prefer Trump over her, no matter what bullshit come out of his mouth, is mindblowing.

Why she had the gaul to be politically active while being the First Lady. She should be making cookies and doing knitting circles!

And then when people critiqued her lack of experience, she went and won a senate seat. The nerve!

And then she became Secretary of State and made two mistakes! Unheard of!

And then she ran for president...twice! As a woman! Doesn't she know once your husband has an affair, women are supposed to slink off into the shadows never to be seen again?

I just can't even! Gasp!

Bluenoser

I'd say at least half of Trump supporters hate Clinton like if she was a woman's version of Hitler or Satan, while the other half are yeah... bigots/racists/xenophobes/etc.

If Hilary wasn't a woman, 90% of the shit that people hate her for would be ignored/forgiven as it's really not uncommon in politics at all. This race wouldn't even be close - but sadly too many people are throwing her under the bus because they don't want a woman as President.

Apathy

The amount if racist whites that have had to keep their emotions hidden for years (or at least slightly in check to not be social pariahs) every time they saw one of us slightly less than white waking around the street or having to deal with at a store or at work, now have a candidate so out there that they see it as a the world giving them the go ahead to start acting like they really want.

Let's face it, trump will more than likely lose, but the issue is that he's now opened up white racist to start being more and more bigoted and brazen.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Kasie Hunt Verified account
‏@kasie

This is how alt-right American Renaissance defines the alt-right, from their statement in response to Clinton speech

Cqut3rVUIAAIOm6.jpg

‏@kasie

This is how alt-right American Renaissance defines the alt-right, from their statement in response to Clinton speech

Cqut3rVUIAAIOm6.jpg

Based on what I've seen over the last year from this alt-right group I'm going to have to assume that they have some very, very selective modeling on what they determine to be "average levels of intelligence".

Slayven

‏@kasie

Cqut3rVUIAAIOm6.jpg

who are these minroties talking about how whites are subhuman? Hoteps, Children of Yakub don''t count.

‏@kasie

Cqut3rVUIAAIOm6.jpg

So there argument is that every other minority group is racist so white people should be too?

That is some negative view on multi culturalism.

sphagnum

Banned
So there argument is that every other minority group is racist so white people should be too?

That is some negative view on multi culturalism.

Yes, of course that's their argument. Why wouldn't it be?

edit: It also ties in with the "human biodiversity" strain of white nationalism which claims "It's not that we hate non-whites, it's that we love that humanity has so many different kinds of people and we just want to keep these distinctions!"

Breads

Banned
It's amazing how diverting 0,1mm from the official line gets you piled on and smeared with "you're defending nazis" nonsense. Absolutely toxic behavior.

You're conducting yourself dishonestly and concern trolling. Stop pretending you care about language or decorum or how we're towing the line.

You aren't fooling anyone.

Yup, I'm getting serious 2008 flashbacks here.

Funny thing is, Hillary back then quite rightly mocked Obama for his post-partisan delusions.

Hillary doesn't really have those delusions though. The Clintons (and Hillary in particular) are known to remember past slights, and there's no way Hillary is going to pull an ACA and undercut her plans for the lure of bipartisan support. She's already said that if Garland isn't nominated, she'll withdraw him (and with her likely Democratic Senate), she can ram through a super hippie out of spite.

I can guarantee that she'll open her first sit-down with Ryan with a quip like, "Buckle up, buddy." The backfire for the GOP's obstruction is that Obama got 6 years to really explore what a President can do with executive powers, and it turns out the answer is "a lot." And that was with a Court that was striking down like half of his stuff. Hillary's Court won't be nearly as hostile.

Obstructionism as a strategy was predicated on the assumption that Congress was the most powerful branch of government (or at least, that it was powerful enough to cause massive problems for the others). This turned out to be only slightly correct. The Executive branch can do a lot, and without the Court's interference, Hillary can railroad the GOP. She'll happily take their votes, but after the last 30 years, I don't think she could be assed to pander to them at all.

Dalibor68

Banned
You're conducting yourself dishonestly and concern trolling. Stop pretending you care about language or decorum or how we're towing the line.

You aren't fooling anyone.
So I'm concern trolling, a secret trump supporter, dishonest and weird. This is insane, I'm out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

You're creating a ludicrous false equivalence, moving the goalposts and cherry picking semantics. Maybe you should consider that you might be the toxic one.

‏@kasie

Cqut3rVUIAAIOm6.jpg

So basically it's the "why can they have all black schools, all Asian clubs, or all hispanic TV networks, but if we want an all whites anything, it's automatically racist?" bullshit again.

Dalibor68

Banned
You're creating a ludicrous false equivalence, moving the goalposts and cherry picking semantics. Maybe you should consider that you might be the toxic one.
Not moving goalposts. I thought it was ironic to mock their white genocide fantasy but then say its the best thing to happen, which was a misunderstanding as we cleared up since he didn't mean it from their perspective. I still thought the use of those certain phrases very borderline though, because to me its something you hear from neonazis(ie "their kind", "best they go extinct"), something that might have been partly kind of a lost in translation thing, but that was met by accusations of tone policing, making "both sides" arguments(despite never ever saying anything towards that, quite the opposite), being dishonest and weird and these accusatioms which sound like "youre really a trump supporter". That to me is piling on and throwing shade based on own biases. Just wanted to clear that up.

I really dont want to take away any more attention from the topic now.

Nerrel

Not moving goalposts. I thought it was ironic to mock their white genocide fantasy but then say its the best thing to happen, which was a misunderstanding as we cleared up since he didn't mean it from their perspective. I still thought the use of those certain phrases very borderline though, because to me its something you hear from neonazis(ie "their kind", "best they go extinct"), something that might have been partly kind of a lost in translation thing, but that was met by accusations of tone policing, making "both sides" arguments(despite never ever saying anything towards that, quite the opposite), being dishonest and weird and these accusatioms which sound like "youre really a trump supporter". That to me is piling on and throwing shade based on own biases. Just wanted to clear that up.

Again, you are absolutely the only person trying to draw this comparison with white supremacists and it should be abundantly clear by this point that your observation wasn't nearly as clever as you thought it was. Saying I want a hateful ideological to go extinct does not equate to a skinhead saying they want an entire race to go extinct, even if the wording 'sounds similar' to you.

In any case, I think the discussion has run its course and I feel like now its just semantics and I don't want to derail even further.

This is insane, I'm out.

I really dont want to take away any more attention from the topic now.

Third time's the charm.

Again, you are absolutely the only person trying to draw this comparison with white supremacists and it should be abundantly clear by this point that your observation wasn't nearly as clever as you thought it was. Saying I want a hateful ideological to go extinct does not equate to a skinhead saying they want an entire race to go extinct, even if the wording 'sounds similar' to you.

Third time's the charm.

All that matters to Dalibor are verbs

Breads

Banned
So I'm concern trolling, a secret trump supporter, dishonest and weird. This is insane, I'm out.

Your response to "lol this ideogy should go extinct" was to critique the language being used and to hypothetically quote mine what was said in a situation where if you showed 10 people the line out of context they would think a nazi said it.

Sorry but I don't see any genuine or honest discussion there.

Unless yeah - you (Dalibor68) really do indeed care most about the language on display here!

Instead what I do see is a person more interested in showing/ telling us how toxic we are while at best framing us as an equal but opposite side to the alt right who rigidly tow some political line... instead of seeing our reactions as a visceral response to wanton bigotry, which I think has been pretty clear.

Peltz

Mainstream GOP is the party that invaded Iraq, destroyed the economy, continues to enforce policies EXTREMELY harmful to lgbtq and women, and tried to block Obama on every good policy he put forward. The AltRight/Trump have done nothing in comparison to the harms of mainstream conservatism. This was a stupid speech and an unnecessary pivot to appease people who will not help her once she is in office. America doesnt need a conservative party and she should be hanging trump on them

Eh... That's really not mainstream conservatism in my opinion. And I disagree about your stance on whether America needs a Conservative party. It would be great to have a Republican Party that wasn't all whacky and regressive about social issues.

Many conservatives just want to vote republican to decrease spending and taxes, but put up with the nonsensical bullshit. (I am a liberal by the way and always vote democratic).

theultimo

For me, its trying to make it look like a both sides are the same argument in different phrasing. Attacking phrasing while stating hes persecuted for having an opinion called out due to a subpar argument just seems petty and instead of rebuttal, we just get (paraphrased) "you guys just hate me and my ideas so fuck this, im out"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom