• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary's interview w/ A. Cooper: Sander's supporters are still incredibly divisive

Status
Not open for further replies.

bebop242

Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi and a gaggle of Dem senators are busy putting in that work to save Dreamers, block the border wall and have a discussion about single-payer healthcare and Hillary wants to keep talking about primaries.

...is Hillary a senator right now?

atr0cious

At this point, 10+ months out from the election, we have Sanders introducing a single payer bill that's got more support than ever and Clinton touring for her new book and offering excuses for her loss.

One side definitely needs to move on.
It's a purity test, not a real bill. Hillary got slagged in 94 for talking about healthcare, but Bernie doing political grandstanding is real work right?

....... and it's Florida.
No, its everywhere.
Was this enough to cost Clinton support in key states?

This is a huge hypothetical, of course. Clinton's losses in the Rust Belt, which cost her an electoral college majority, can be attributed to many factors. And a lot depends on the exact number of Sanders supporters who did not vote for her.

Schaffner generated some state-level estimates, which G. Elliott Morris quickly noted were large enough to exceed Trump's margin of victory in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.
Even if we assume that the overall percentage of Sanders supporters who voted for Trump was 6 percent and not 12 percent, and assume therefore that we can cut every state estimate in half, the estimated number of Sanders-Trump voters would still exceed Trump's margin of victory.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-vote-for-trump-to-cost-clinton-the-election/

MIMIC

Banned
Barely. He kept waving off responsibility for his actions during the campaign and said Hillary had to win them over. Such a strong endorsement. Hey that lady I said is fundamentally against you, go vote for her ok?

They voted for her though. Overwhelmingly.

Sephzilla

Hey Hillary

1hmErom.gif

Roughly 90% of Bernie's supporters ended up voting for you. I don't think your supporters did this for Obama when you took your first L. You're helping nobody right now by doing this.

Kusagari

Do you want me to find more polls? Because we dont have to play this game.

Polls from before election day are worthless now. All that matters is what Bernie supporters ended up doing and as far as I've seen from the data, they voted for Hillary about as well as could be expected.

Expecting 99-100% of Bernie supporters to vote for Hillary was just foolish. Everything points to Bernie supporters falling in line more than Hillary supporters in 08, which basically destroys the entire narrative.

Clinton supporters (including myself), Hillary is not doing herself any favors with this talk. It's opening up deep wounds that were just starting to heal. Like it or not, Bernie commands a huge wing of progressive politics which includes a lot of millenials, regardless of the practicality of his ideas. Hillary should not poke any more nests and make people who reluctantly voted for her regret it. It's time to heal the party and if she wants to play a major role, she should align herself with Bernie wing instead of looking inwards and being defensive. And waiting another year or two for the book would have helped.

Bernie supporters, you need to realize the amount of vitriol die hard Berners and BoBers directed at Hillary during the primaries. She isn't wrong, and what she is talking about is not unprecedented. Look up PUMA's from 2008. BoBers continued to drag her all the way in general and there is also a good cross section of Bernie voters who voted for Trump. Lot of talk from these folks is still acidic and just unrelenting and many times unfair.

Both the flanks need to come together right now to fight the common enemy: Nazis.

The vitriol of the primaries went both ways and the fact of the matter is that Clinton supporters have continued to make negative offhand references to Sanders supporters as if the vast majority didn't ultimately end up voting for her anyway. Sanders supporters didn't say or do anything that wasn't matched in kind by Clinton supporters and Bernie himself didn't say or do anything more aggressive than what Hillary herself said and did in 2008.

Moreover, unlike the supposedly significant portion of BoBs that are referenced by Clinton supporters to this day, Sanders supporters have a legitimate axe to grind: they said Clinton had too much baggage to win and they were proven right.

Beyond that, there's also the fact that Sanders is out there fighting to advance progressive causes while Clinton rips open old wounds to drum up publicity for her fucking book. As the country suffers under a budding tyrant, her main priority is making a few more million to pile atop her vast fortune.

Fuck Hillary Clinton.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
At this point, 10+ months out from the election, we have Sanders introducing a single payer bill that's got more support than ever and Clinton touring for her new book and offering excuses for her loss.

One side definitely needs to move on.

She. Is. Simply. Speaking. Her. Mind.

God damn stop being robotic, people. We have moved on. We have accepted our terrible reality and are looking toward the future of the DNC and the 2018 and 2020 elections, but just because Hillary wants to share her god damn thoughts doesn't mean we are living in La La Land.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Hey Hillary

1hmErom.gif

Roughly 90% of Bernie's supporters ended up voting for you. I don't think your supporters did this for Obama when you took your first L. You're helping nobody right now by doing this.

What did you say when the Democrats were telling Bernie to "Shut the fuck up and take the L?"

Maybe swing voters didn't vote for her because they didn't like her to begin with and maybe had nothing to do with Bernie Sanders.

Hillary ran a nasty campaign against Obama, and he didn't seem to have problems.

Obama

1) Was running after two rather disastrous terms of a republican in office.

2) Was running during a massive economic crisis with a republican in office

The environments of the two elections are completely different so I don't know why you would compare them. I would argue that there were far more unified issues for people to vote a democrat in considering the circumstances and that the polarization wasn't in the same way it was in 2016 in terms of having "unacceptable" candidates.

Hillary playing the victim again. What else is new?

Sander's supporters are "divisive" because they don't support a centrist like Hillary. They're not even close on the political spectrum. The arrogance of this woman thinking that she deserves support just because she says so.

She's not running, so clearly she doesn't need your support.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Wasn't the statistic Sanders supporters who voted Trump? I mean how many of them voted green or libertarian?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone that still uses these terms unironically:

berniebro
Hillary stan
neoliberal
centrist
HillGAF

Need to STFU.

centrist and neoliberal are perfectly cromulent words to describes somebody's politics. They existed before Hillary.

you're just going to have to live with the fact those have become shorthands for a brand of politics some people don't like any more.

legacyzero

Banned
It was a historic election. She lost with the biggest popular vote margin win in history. And of course it's even more important because of who she lost to.

She has a right to "take it really hard". Maybe if people stop telling her to go away and actually listen a little the party can work through it's issues.

Oh I imagine. I didn't mean that to be insensitive to that. But-
I don't think she has said anything meaningful at this point. I mean that seriously. She's doing nothing to unite the party, and fix her mistakes. It's all finger pointing. And none of it is helping our chances.
Because its a common slur against anyone that voted and supported Hillary and the only true left leaning people voted for Bernie.

Because they are used as a pejorative slurs.
Is it a "slur" when even she's said she's a Centrist? It was literally in the previous thread.

pigeon

Banned
I think her substantive point is pretty clear -- Hillary worked harder to unify her supporters in 2008 than Bernie did in 2016.

This seems...pretty uncontroversial, so far as it goes? Bernie did try to unify his supporters at the convention, but Hillary tried harder.

Any wider expansion of this concern is offbase, since Bernie has been working hard for the Democrats since then.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
It took Sanders 8 weeks and 3 days to endorse Hillary Clinton for the Presidency.

If you don't consider that absurd then I simply don't know what to say to you.

She took 4 days to endorse Obama in 2008 and even then that was considered "taking too long."

Sanders showed up to one joint event with Clinton during her entire campaign.

Clinton showed up to dozens of joint events with Obama during his campaign.

Machina

Banned
We're now entering Month 19 of the 2016 Democratic Presidential Primaries.

This wouldn't be a problem 19 months later if Hillary didn't panic when she realized early on she wasn't cleaning the floor with Bernie and ran straight to her old playbook of dirty tactics

is this a real quote? because......ew
Hillary's insistence that some sort of centrist direction negotiated by two craven centrist parties will deliver broad-based social equity and economic prosperity is ... amazingly blind to every stark fact of America's past and present.

Like, it's still some insanely blinkered vision of "let's just keep writing some watered-down bills, everything's cool" when American life is a dangerous, precarious hellscape for tens of millions, and climate change is about to upend life as we know it.

Still doesn't get it.

Sephzilla

What did you say when the Democrats were telling Bernie to "Shut the fuck up and take the L?"

He should have did the same thing as well then. It's possible for both of them to make mistakes, but lately it seems like Hillary is trying to place a lot of excessive blame on Bernie

shamanick

I think her substantive point is pretty clear -- Hillary worked harder to unify her supporters in 2008 than Bernie did in 2016.

This seems...pretty uncontroversial, so far as it goes? Bernie did try to unify his supporters at the convention, but Hillary tried harder.

Any wider expansion of this concern is offbase, since Bernie has been working hard for the Democrats since then.

I'm curious why you think this is the case - what was the substantive difference?

Kinyou

Barely. He kept waving off responsibility for his actions during the campaign and said Hillary had to win them over. Such a strong endorsement. Hey that lady I said is fundamentally against you, go vote for her ok?
Looking at the results it was apparently more than good enough

Eidan

Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi and a gaggle of Dem senators are busy putting in that work to save Dreamers, block the border wall and have a discussion about single-payer healthcare and Hillary wants to keep talking about primaries.

Well, yeah. She's on a book tour about her presidential campaign.

But if you want to hear her discuss policy and the future of American politics, the Vox interview that came out earlier this week is a great start.

JP_

Banned
How are you this dense? I have a decent enough memory to remember that Bernie also had his own book tour recently, despite losing in his party's primary by a wide margin.
And his book is mostly about his thoughts on moving forward -- the primary was mentioned, but not a focus. Which is basically the opposite of clintons book, which is my point.

I'm seriously wondering if you're trolling me or you really are that dense.

ModBot 2

Not a Mod, just a bot.
We've talked about this ad nauseam, and it's clear one more round isn't going to do any good. It's time to stop with the whining about other posters who supported the candidate you didn't support. These threads get heated enough when people are just discussing the actual topic, we don't need the metacommentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom