• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hironobu Sakaguchi (Mistwalker) isn't interested in remaking The Last Story (Wii), Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey (Xbox)

fermcr

In Hironobu Sakaguchi's interview for videogameschronicle.com, he had this to say...

"The Last Story on the Wii has something of a cult following. Once both parts of Fantasian have been released, do you have any interest whatsoever in remastering or remaking it, or even other Mistwalker games like Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey?

To be perfectly honest, there aren’t any plans for any remakes at the moment. Although they’re called remakes, the amount of effort and resources it would command means the difference is basically nil between [developing] a remake versus a completely new game, and I would personally find myself more attracted to the idea of coming up with another original story or world, or building something new."

Full interview...
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ng-so-i-made-a-game-that-returns-to-my-roots/

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Looks like the correct decision. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are still playable on Xbox Series anyway, so it is better going forward. Eventually MS will find a way to push them to 4K and 60fps, but even if it doesn't happen, the games are still fine as they are.

People asking for remakes/remasters all the time should instead ask for a proper Back Compatibility feature on their console of choice.

Last edited:

fermcr

Why remake something that is perfectly playable today? The cry for constant remakes makes me concerned about the amount of people who just want old media repackaged and don't want fresh experiences. Sakaguchi ain't wrong.

You can't play those games on Playstation or PC. Lot of people didn't play those games. That is a valid reason to remake those games for other platforms.

Didn't you like Final Fantasy VII Remake on PS4?

I Just sold my PAL collector edition of The last story for 100 euros! I guess no one really cares about this game and a remake, right? lol what a asshole... this game is still so good and better than most of actual RPG and for XXXXXX reasons like 99,99% of you will never experience it. Sorry guys, but heeeey, you have Final Fantasy! 😂

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Lost odyssey and Blue dragon I understand. They can be played through bc on Xbox. But Last story, it's stuck on the Wii. I believe hardly anyone played it, and it really is a lost story now.

I Just sold my PAL collector edition of The last story for 100 euros! I guess no one really cares about this game and a remake, right? lol what a asshole... this game is still so good and better than most of actual RPG and for XXXXXX reasons like 99,99% of you will never experience it. Sorry guys, but heeeey, you have Final Fantasy! 😂
Did you just call Sakaguchi an asshole because he would prefer to create new games instead of using time, money and resources on remaking and/or remastering old games?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
You can't play those games on Playstation or PC. Lot of people didn't play those games. That is a valid reason to remake those games for other platforms.

Porting games is fine and Lost Odyssey is 1,000 times better than FF VII remake. FF VII remake is trash.

Also remaking something when it can just be ported and still looks good to this day IS a waste of time and resources but GAF has a lot of broke brains these days who want Bluepoint to remake every game so...

I just started playing Lost Odyssey and I'm hour in but barely anything has happened except some generic military/magic talk. I read through pages of a 'dream' which was interesting but I had to stop once I came across another one in the next section of the town. Terrible pacing, a game better off left in the past.

I jumped into Blue Dragon right after and the first 30 minutes of that is already blowing that whole hour of LO out of the water. Hopefully this one gets a 4k 60fps boost as the art style still holds up fairly well for being a 14 year old game.

Fbh

None of these games really need a remake.
None of them are that old, Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are easily playable on any of the newer Xbox consoles and the Last Story runs great through emulation (also, it wasn't really that good).

I'd rather see him make new stuff. Starting with Fantasian on non apple devices.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It’d be nice if we got enhanced BC and maybe a PC port, but there is absolutely no reason to spend time and effort to do full remakes of these games. They’re just as playable as they were on day 1, and they’re not even that good.

For Lost Odyssey, seems like even the game’s biggest fans claim that the best part of the game was the flashback stories. Maybe they can cut out all that boring gameplay and remake LO as a .txt file.

Last edited:

Calverz

Good. This trend of remakes, remasters and ports is getting out of hand. We have xbox bc for 2 of these 3 games.

SantaC

Imagine going from the nr1 jrpg franchise in the world to shitty mobile games.

Last edited:
Yeah you're right Sakaguchi, who need remasters/remakes of beloved games when you can make a bunch of shit cellphone games instead.
Was Blue Dragon beloved? I know Lost Odyssey is a great game but I always thought that the overall opinion of Blue Dragon was mediocre?

I remember playing Blue Dragon for a couple of hours but never finished it. Maybe I should pick it up for the Series X.

Eh... these games don't really need a remaster. Just upping the resolution would be enough. A PC port for Lost Odyssey would be nice, though. I kinda want to replay that game, but not badly enough to get my 360 out of the closet and deal with the noise and loading times.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Was Blue Dragon beloved? I know Lost Odyssey is a great game but I always thought that the overall opinion of Blue Dragon was mediocre?

I remember playing Blue Dragon for a couple of hours but never finished it. Maybe I should pick it up for the Series X.
Yup. It was widely recognized as a so-so game, and it was a massive disappointment considering it was the first original JRPG of that generation, from Akira Toriyama and Hironobu Sakaguchi (last time they worked together we got Chrono Trigger)

Eh... these games don't really need a remaster. Just upping the resolution would be enough.
I just looked at a youtube video of Blue Dragon and if the resolution were increased, it would look almost as good as Dragon Quest XI.

Lost Odyssey looks a bit rough, but it looks about the same as a modern Falcom game.

Remake? Sure, that might not make sense for niche games like those. But a PC/PS/Switch port seems like a good idea. They can even just outsource it.

Astral Dog

Sad news, i would take a remaster of The Last Story for Switch, also unfortunately he has worked very little on consoles since the Wii :^(

Furball

Becasue Sakaguchi wont make any new game so people going to ask for remake :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Where is Terra battle console version ? He still own people that promise

Last edited:
Did you just call Sakaguchi an asshole because he would prefer to create new games instead of using time, money and resources on remaking and/or remastering old games?
I just did! Fell free to enjoy his mobile game and to say it. Let me free to think more gamers should enjoy The Last Story than a limited and very late Wii edition.

mortal

Gold Member
Not everything under the sun needs a remake. Sometimes a solid port is more than enough.

The Gooch seems like he's got one foot in retirement and one foot in game design. He seems more mellowed out and wants to make whatever he wants on his terms.
As much as it would please me greatly to see him direct at least one more AAA JRPG, I do respect that.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
I loved both LO and BD. BD was a really fun game and world and the combat system was a great deal of fun (even when you completed the rest of the game before the end boss and kill him in two shots)

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Blue Dragon could’ve been a decent B-/C+ game. What really killed any enjoyment for me was searching for “nothings”.

For those who haven’t played it, Blue Dragon has items hidden fucking EVERYWHERE. In most JRPGs you learn pretty quickly which stuff you can interact with and which stuff is just scenery. In BD, every random pebble, wall texture, shrub, flower pot, etc can have an item hidden in it. So the way you explore in BD is by running up and down every wall mashing the X button like a dipshit trying to get all the items.

The most valuable thing you can find is “nothing”. Nothings are collectibles. There’s some finite amount to be found, and you get special items (best stuff in the game) by crossing certain thresholds.

Literally the dumbest gameplay mechanic I can think of in a JRPG. It completely ruined whatever enjoyment I was extracting from that game. If it ever gets ported to PC, hopefully I can just mod it to give me all the nothings so I don’t have to do that shit.

oh also the game was supposedly pathetically easy. There was a hard mode patch only available for the Japanese version. You could get it in the US by making a Japanese Xbox account. Never played the normal mode. I’m not sure if they ever made the hard mode available for us feeble gaijins.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Yeah you're right Sakaguchi, who need remasters/remakes of beloved games when you can make a bunch of shit cellphone games instead.
On one hand you’re right on the other I can’t imagine being his age and wanting to take on a huge project again. He’s obviously at the point in his life that smaller vanity projects are just more appealing and who could blame him? Plus his new iOS game doesn’t look bad. Looks very classic turn based and clearly doesn’t require the time and effort of an indie game on console’s and gives his company flexibility.

Everyone was happy when P4Golden ended up on Steam no? The less exclusivity the better IMO.

Athreous

Mobile dev is way cheaper and gives a lot more profit, that's why these ppl won't waste time in remasters/remakes >_<

Kimahri

Banned
oh also the game was supposedly pathetically easy. There was a hard mode patch only available for the Japanese version. You could get it in the US by making a Japanese Xbox account. Never played the normal mode. I’m not sure if they ever made the hard mode available for us feeble gaijins.
Hard mode was available worldwide. Still is.

It's hard. I'd like something in between super easy and super hard just so i could kill some random enemies without risking everything once in a while, lol.

Why remake something that is perfectly playable today? The cry for constant remakes makes me concerned about the amount of people who just want old media repackaged and don't want fresh experiences. Sakaguchi ain't wrong.

It's nice for people to get exposure to older games. We are kind of bombarded with third through sixth gen games as classics all the time, but seventh gen games as a whole seem to be getting relatively ignored. Combine that with stuff like Sony shutting down their stores, and I like the idea of those older titles getting rereleased.

Bridges

I can't speak for the other two, but Blue Dragon really doesn't need a remake. Just played it for the first time last year on One X and it still looks and plays great. It's got a timeless art style and there's not really anything to complain about control wise. Probably plays even better now on a Series X.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This, so much this.

Corporations are banking on nostalgia and making some really low-effort remakes and remasters, while asking a high price for it.
Not only that, but some are even removing old versions from stores, preventing people from even playing the originals.
2 of these games are Xbox exclusives and are already backwards compatible. The third requires a physical disc drive + Wii control scheme to play. Not sure how better BC is supposed to help this situation.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
That works because I wasn't interested in playing them again. Please do release new IP.

Zog

Banned
You can play the 360 games on a 360, Xbox One or an Xbox Series X/S.

The Last Story can be played on a Wii or a Wii U.

They are perfectly playable today.

BlackM1st

Banned
No one cared about original games, so why bother? Now days Microsoft is even less present/interested in Japanese market, so... yeah, waste of time and money.

Top Bottom