• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiroshi Kawano and Shuhei Yoshida talk PS4 in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people need to dial back the rampant, suffocating Persona 5 hype a bit before they end up disappointing themselves. When has Atlus given any indication they're developing a PS4 game in house? It's fairly clear, especially given how they handled SMTIV, that they're not ready to move to the PS3 for a full-sized game, much less the PS4.

If P5 is happening any time in the near future, it'll probably be on 3DS. If it's a PS4 game - and it'd be nice if it was - it'll probably take a while for them to announce it. I mean, I'd love it to happen, but let's at least be realistic here. Atlus really doesn't have a great track record with HD games.

boinx

I think people need to dial back the rampant, suffocating Persona 5 hype a bit before they end up disappointing themselves. When has Atlus given any indication they're developing a PS4 game in house? It's fairly clear, especially given how they handled SMTIV, that they're not ready to move to the PS3 for a full-sized game, much less the PS4.

If P5 is happening any time in the near future, it'll probably be on 3DS. If it's a PS4 game - and it'd be nice if it was - it'll probably take a while for them to announce it. I mean, I'd love it to happen, but let's at least be realistic here. Atlus really doesn't have a great track record with HD games.

Why 3DS? Every Persona game has been only on Sony platforms. Also Catherine was fantastic, at least audiovisually.

Well I KNOW MS will cockblock Sony when it comes to a few Japanese favorites, so Persona 5 could easily be one of them.

Yes, P5 exclusive to XbOne is a real possibility, and I will fucking cry if/when it happens.

FluxWaveZ

They've been working on the game for three years now.

When has Atlus given any indication they're developing a PS4 game in house?

Their name was on the list at the PS4 reveal event for developers developing on the PS4 platform, which means they at least have a dev kit.

Well I KNOW MS will cockblock Sony when it comes to a few Japanese favorites, so Persona 5 could easily be one of them.

Yes, P5 exclusive to XbOne is a real possibility, and I will fucking cry if/when it happens.

Why would Atlus ever in their right mind agree to that? The game would bomb so badly it would probably put them out of business. Nobody is buying the Xbone in Japan, and Persona is not a series that requires Western sales to thrive. It's Japan-focused and will thus be focused on Japanese systems first and foremost.

Why 3DS? Every Persona game has been only on Sony platforms.

Because the Vita isn't selling well, and Atlus is clearly not ready to develop a fully HD RPG yet. Look at what they did with SMTIV - they went with 3DS because it's selling well, and because it was the only system that let them recycle PS2-level (and earlier!) art assets instead of being forced to make all new ones.

Because the Vita isn't selling well, and Atlus is clearly not ready to develop a fully HD RPG yet. Look at what they did with SMTIV - they went with 3DS because it's selling well, and because it was the only system that let them recycle PS2-level (and earlier!) art assets instead of being forced to make all new ones.

And this is why it being on the 3DS doesn't make sense. They've stated that they've built a new engine for P5. So, what's the point of that new engine if you're suggesting that they'd just want to cheap out by reusing PS2 assets?

more chance of Shadow of the Beast PS4 happening made by ex Studio Liverpool staff than Bloody Roar :p

That'd be something, but I'd settle for Colony Waresu!

Edit: this thread is shaping up to become the new PS4 hypetrain thread, I already miss the E3 hypethread ;(

Kyon

Banned

i would've agreed with this before but P4G is still exclusive and its one of the best selling games on the platform. So no that excuse doesnt really matter

Soriku

Catherine was on PS3/360, P4 Arena was on PS3/360. Not seeing why P5 wouldn't also be on an HD console. SMT IV is a different case.

FluxWaveZ

And comments like that are why I think it's a Xbox One exclusive. Aeana said it's going to be "interesting" when it's finally announced.

Or it could mean it's a Wii U exclusive? iOS game? 3DS exclusive? PS2 game? Hentai dating sim? FPS? Fighting game?

You're looking into vague comments WAY more than you should. They mean nothing.

Catherine was on PS3/360, P4 Arena was on PS3/360. Not seeing why P5 wouldn't also be on an HD console. SMT IV is a different case.

Bags of money.

WiiU exclusive is more likely though. Persona games don't need cutting edge tech or anything.

Heck, it could even be on ps3. Wasn't persona 4 released on the ps2 just a few years back? Atlus doesn't care about new consoles.

boinx

From wikipedia

In March 2010, the director and producer of Persona 3 and Persona 4, Katsura Hashino, told Japanese gaming magazine, Dengeki PlayStation, that he is beginning to develop the next game in the Persona series. He also mentioned that he "wants to add things that are being expected of the series and change things that can be changed within those boundaries."[9] In September 2009, Shoji Meguro, a member of Atlus, was listed in Sony's site as the producer on Persona 5 exclusively for the PlayStation 3.[10] However The Australian Classification Board seems to have confirmed a PSP version when it listed Shin Megami Tensei: Persona and "(PS3)". The date of classification is May 24, 2010, which could mean that Atlus changed it to being a Sony PSP game instead.[11] At E3 2010, a game in the series was announced for the Nintendo 3DS system; all that is known at this point is that it will be part of the Persona series - it is unknown if it will be a port, remake, or a new game altogether.[12] In August 2011, Persona 5 was officially confirmed to be under development, with Soejima, Meguro, and Hashino returning to their roles as art designer, composer, and director. However, Hashino stated to "wait for quite some time for Persona 5 to be released."[citation needed]In August of 2012, it was confirmed that Shigenori Soejima had already submitted sketches for Persona 5 and that the game was in "full-speed ahead" development.[citation needed]

Atlus also appeared on the PS4 developers list and devkits have been going out in 2011 soooo GET HYPE

And this is why it being on the 3DS doesn't make sense. They've stated that they've built a new engine for P5. So, what's the point of that new engine if you're suggesting that they'd just want to cheap out by reusing PS2 assets?

SMTIV should have been a much bigger game than Persona 5 in all logicality. The fact that it went to 3DS despite Strange Journey existing on the DS already is why I feel like Atlus is just going to keep delaying their movement into the present as long as possible.

i would've agreed with this before but P4G is still exclusive and its one of the best selling games on the platform. So no that excuse doesnt really matter

P4G was a port of an old game, and thus needed to sell significantly less to justify the investment. I just can't see them going with Vita for the next mainline entry. It would probably be a good fit for the game, though...

Persona 5's eventual announcement will have a fascinating impact on these threads.

I'm perfectly willing to eat crow if it's real and a PS4 game. I just don't see it being announced any time soon, considering how slowly Atlus has historically reacted to technological trends and generational shifts.

And comments like that are why I think it's a Xbox One exclusive. Aeana said it's going to be "interesting" when it's finally announced.

I just don't see it making any sense for Atlus to go exclusive to the system that will bomb in Japan.

Mrbob

Isn't 3DS the safe bet in Japan?

I'm guessing it is on 3DS now. Atlus taking a money hat for a Xbone exclusive would be franchise suicide.

RyoonZ

Banned

I think most people will be okay if Atlus are making Persona 5 with PS3's Catherine like quality of HD games in PS4.

Kyon

Banned
Isn't 3DS the safe bet in Japan?

I'm guessing it is on 3DS now. Taking a Xbone exclusive would be franchise suicide.

so would 3DS if we want this franchise to move forward in grfx and ambition.

P4G was a port of an old game, and thus needed to sell significantly less to justify the investment. I just can't see them going with Vita for the next mainline entry. It would probably be a good fit for the game, though...

P4G was a little more than just a simple port tho

FluxWaveZ

SMTIV should have been a much bigger game than Persona 5 in all logicality. The fact that it went to 3DS despite Strange Journey existing on the DS already is why I feel like Atlus is just going to keep delaying their movement into the present as long as possible.

Why should it have been the bigger game? Persona is more popular than the mainline SMT series.

t wouldn't it would be a tragic loss in gaming ;__;

I wasn't being serious, it would be pretty sad, i'm also a persona fan :p
As some people have said, microsoft will moneyhat something, just like sony and nintendo will. If some japanese companies want to follow the same road they did with the 360, by making several japanese-centric games exclusive to a platform which won't sell at all in japan, they only have themselves to blame.
Most of them had to sell "enhanced" versions on other platforms (mostly ps3) years later to actually sell a decent number of copies in japan.
Being multiplatform, or sony or nintendo exclusive? Yeah, i can see that happening. Going with microsoft? Nice way to bury your franchise. It didn't work last time, it won't work this time either.

.JayZii

Banned
Persona 5 will be on PS3. I would be thrilled if it were on PS4 and took the aesthetics of Catherine to the next level though.

The days of MS money hatting japanese games are over, the experiment has failed and I'm sure japanese devs are more wary now than ever before. You don't want to alienate the goodwill of your fanbase by splitting them up, unless of course the console it's on is in a dire situation. This is all opinion, but it's one I'm fairly confident in.

Then explain FFXV on Xbox One and Kojima at MS's E3 event?

It is FAR from over.

Microsoft will never stop monehatting because it is the only thing thery have.

prwxv3

MSG and FF do very well outside of Japan. Games that get most of there sales from Japan are another story so going xbone exclusive for them would be suicide.

.JayZii

Banned
Then explain FFXV on Xbox One and Kojima at MS's E3 event?

It is FAR from over.

Microsoft will never stop monehatting because it is the only thing thery have.

Those two games appeal to the east and the west so the companies want to cover as many bases as possible with the release. Also, the increasingly similar console hardware makes multiplatform releases a no brainer for the developers--with no need for bribery at all.

SE hasn't made a big deal about it yet. They only mentioned Xbox versions at their presser. When the advertising starts that will change. Heck, MS might even have an exclusive deal like with FFXIII.

they dont both are coming to both consoles. with ff possibly coming to pc later on

I will be so happy once Persona 5 is announced not because of the game (no I will be excited by that too) but people can stop bickering about what platforms its on. KH3 is outta the way now P5 is the only other game which has seen so much arguing on what platforms it will be on.

this im honestly surprised the next ff and kh are multi platform after all the hate they got from their own people after releasing XIII on xbox.

Wada, don't care...

SE needs all of the money it can get. The ease of porting makes it a no brainer to release on the One as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom