• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiroshi Kawano and Shuhei Yoshida talk PS4 in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

genjiZERO

Japanese devs should do what Japanese civilisation does best - minimalism. They should give up the arms race for trying to make the most visually arresting cinematic experience possible, and just focus on making straightforward games. That's one of the reasons I think Nintendo has managed to remain so successful over the years, and is clearly the reason From has received so much credit for the Souls series. Do this, and I think Japanese devs will generate tremendous good will in both the hardcore and casual communities. There's a reason Nintendo was able to sell 81 million copies of Wii Sports and 34 million copies of Mario Kart Wii.

Kyon

Banned
Japanese devs should do what Japanese civilisation does best - minimalism. They should give up the arms race for trying to make the most visually arresting cinematic experience possible, and just focus on making straightforward games. That's one of the reasons I think Nintendo has managed to remain so successful over the years, and is clearly the reason From has received so much credit for the Souls series. Do this, and I think Japanese devs will generate tremendous good will in both the hardcore and casual communities. There's a reason Nintendo was able to sell 81 million copies of Wii Sports and 34 million copies of Mario Kart Wii.

but wii sports came inside every wii tho

Midou

Hope Atlus has more than 0 console RPGs next-gen.

Though Persona 5 may still make it to PS3 I guess. Hope it's cross-gen even if differences minimal, so I can not switch back to my PS3 to play it.

While playing my copy of Digital Devil Saga on PCSX2 earlier, I thought, holy shit, this looks pretty fucking glorious upscaled. As is the case with most emulated games of course, but to me that means if like JRPG devs who can't afford to make big budget games, simply made a high-end PS2 game than upscaled it, and say charged $40 instead, I would be a-okay with that.

Edit: Also, would rather have something like a new King's Field rather than Demon's Souls 2, so the focus could at least be different enough from Dark Souls.

Last Guardian, Persona 5 and Demon's Souls 2 for TGS plz.

Everybody's always asking for these three games. How about we get some love for some other stuff in this thread?

How about Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne 2, Suikoden VI, Valkyrie Profile 3 or Folklore 2? That'd be nice...

Edit: Also, would rather have something like a new King's Field rather than Demon's Souls 2, so the focus could at least be different enough from Dark Souls.

I don't think Sony is going to let From make them an exclusive that they can lose to another publisher again. A new King's Field is definitely not happening unless they start a new King's Field type IP that they get to retain ownership of.

Also...first person. Eugh.

fertygo

Everybody's always asking for these three games. How about we get some love for some other stuff in this thread?

How about Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne 2, Suikoden VI, Valkyrie Profile 3 or Folklore 2? That'd be nice...

We already have "Nocturne" sequel, its called SMT IV
Because its SMT III afterall.

Kyon

Banned
I want a game that actually looks and plays like a sequel to Nocturne, not the SNES games. Full graphics, full animations, full-spec everything.

finally someone addresses that elephant. SMT franchise is a damn mess atm and needs to upgrade so it can be on par with Persona

Midou

A new King's Field is definitely not happening unless they start a new King's Field type IP that they get to retain ownership of.

Also...first person. Eugh.

Could work in 3rd person just fine, that wasn't really the main difference between King's Field and Souls. Plus, Sony could publish it.

Hell, I would be okay with Demon's Souls 2 being a thing, but being more like a 3rd person King's Field rather than too similar to Dark Souls 2 or something.

Biggest problem I had with the first person in King's Field though was that it was so terribly slow, in KFIV it took a full 3 seconds to turn around. Would be okay with first person again if they sped it up to something like Shadow Tower Abyss speed.

Elios83

Well, you probably would've said the same thing if someone suggested that MS had locked up the next Tales game as an exclusive for the 360 at the start of this gen.

It was a different situation.
Back then Microsoft offered a lot of money for those titles because they thought they would be relevant for their success and they also promised to japanese publishers to make these games well known among western gamers thanks to their marketing strength.
Considering how things turned out, this time both sides will be uninterested. Japanese developers have learned at their expense how it is important not to split their fanbase. Microsoft has learned that those titles won't do anything to change their commercial performance in Japan and worldwide.
I wouldn't expect any JRPG exclusive from MS this time, unless their Osaka team is developing one themselves.

Could work in 3rd person just fine, that wasn't really the main difference between King's Field and Souls. Plus, Sony could publish it.

Hell, I would be okay with Demon's Souls 2 being a thing, but being more like a 3rd person King's Field rather than too similar to Dark Souls 2 or something.

Biggest problem I had with the first person in King's Field though was that it was so terribly slow, in KFIV it took a full 3 seconds to turn around. Would be okay with first person again if they sped it up to something like Shadow Tower Abyss speed.

Well, I mean, King's Field in third person literally is Demon's Souls.

D-don't even joke with that...

"Hey, remember how badly that releasing our games as 360 exclusives hurt our brands and kept our games from selling? Let's do that again when there's a cheaper system coming out that's going to sell significantly better in Japan, where our games actually perform well! 30,000 sales in the West is better than 500,000 in Japan!"

People are getting ridiculous with this shit. No Japanese publisher is going to side with Microsoft that strongly for their major Japan-focused games after how badly it burned them last time.

Are we hyping ourselves up for huge TGS disappointment again?

Ok.

The Last Guardian
Demon's Souls 2
Persona 5
Guilty Gear Xrd
Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts III

can someone explain to me why people are mentioning demon souls all the time?

i know sony owns the ip(or i think they do). But isnt the people behind it(from software) working on dark souls game.

Or did scej snatch some of the main dudes behind it?

daveo42

Banned
Are we hyping ourselves up for huge TGS disappointment again?

Ok.

The Last Guardian
Demon's Souls 2
Persona 5
Guilty Gear Xrd
Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts III

Well, at least we've seen three of those games recently, so we'll probably see a little more at TGS. As for the first three on the list, it will be disappointment time come September I suspect.

i know sony owns the ip(or i think they do). But isnt the people behind it(from software) working on dark souls game.

The creator of Demon's and Dark Souls was taken off Dark Souls 2 and is working on something different now. So, people have been speculating about what that could be.

genjiZERO

but wii sports came inside every wii tho

Which is why I also added Mario Kart Wii.... Wii Sports Resort sold 31.5 million, Wii Play 28 million, NSMBWii 27.6 million.......

All extremely parsimonious games. You can argue (reasonably) that they sell because of Nintendo's brand power, but other developers don't even seem to try to make games like this. I think if there was an effort by Japanese developers to get back to making game games then you'd see them becoming a lot more popular again.

Elios83

PS4 doesn't even seem like it's coming out this year in Japan, but I hope we at least see some Capcom goodness at TGS.

It seems like they're planning to launch in December.
But they won't make an official announcement until they're 100% sure they have enough units to launch with.
Honestly I wouldn't make a dedicated official event just to announce that PS4 is being released in 2014 and Japan is being given the shaft because the market is not as important as it was. At that point they could just make their regional announcements using TGS.

sublimit

Banned
Since this is becoming another dream list thread i'll post mine:

Demon's Souls 2
The Last Guardian
Siren 3
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Yakuza 6
Level 5 RPG
Dragon's Dogma 2

lol, for some reason the FF15 trailer of a game in development of some sorts since before ps3 launch didn't convince me that japanese gaming is back.

Wonder why?

Sid

Verendus confirmed it's in development.

solarus

Why are all of you excited for a demon's souls 2? We have the dark souls series now and even if Sony utilised their IP and made a sequel FROM wouldn't be working on it since they are making dark souls 2, why would you care?

The creator of Demon's and Dark Souls was taken off Dark Souls 2 and is working on something different now. So, people have been speculating about what that could be.

He also said he's working on something more lighthearted.

Unless that was a mistranslation, I don't see him on Demon's 2. Either that, or Demon's 2 is a much different game from what we are expecting.

Why are all of you excited for a demon's souls 2? We have the dark souls series now and even if Sony utilised their IP and made a sequel FROM wouldn't be working on it since they are making dark souls 2, why would you care?

Different lore, different visual style.

And if you're a fan of both, why only settle for one? Play Dark Souls and Demon's.

Kyon

Banned

Because not everyone likes Dark Souls like Demons. Different story, mechanics, HUB. Demons is superior to it tbh oh and if Miyazaki is directing then I'm here for it too.

Next-gen Souls game, enough said.

BadWolf

Because Miyazaki, the main guy behind Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, is not working on Dark Souls 2 but on a different game.

There is a good chance the game he is working on is Demon's Souls 2 or Demon's Souls Portable.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
If they're releasing in India this year, I can definitely see a Japan launch by December or very early 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom