• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Historical eras that haven't been represented enough or at all in gaming

DryvBy

With Kingdom Come: Deliverance and the Assassin's Creed series, it's always fun to visit some historical periods of time. I thought about some eras I haven't seen represented enough and it got me thinking of a very old and obscure Sierra adventure title for kids, Pepper's Adventure in Time. It's one of those few edutainment games that works really well. It sparked an interest in American history for me that still lives to this day.

Colonial North America I don't feel has enough representation in video games. Creed tried to do something in Assassin's Creed III but it was overall forgettable. Outside of it, I can't recall many recent games that aren't strategy related related to that era. I particularly like staying meeting the Forefathers and interacting with them, even if it's silly like in Day of the Tentacle.

What's some historical eras that haven't been touched on that you're interested in?

Wulfram

Honestly, it'd be easier to say the periods that have been represented enough. Basically just WW2, and a few others in strategy games but not really in other genres.

For me, I think India in the late 17th and 18th century would be a pretty cool setting. In my own countries history I'd probably go for the run up to the English Civil War

KevinKeene

Banned
The 90's. The immediate pre-interner/shitty internet time where people made appointments and had to keep the promise to be there, or when Saturday evening had good shows that you could watch with the whole family. Time of the walkman, GameBoy and PS1/N64.

We have games about the 70s/80s, but not the 90s. Would love that.

For more ancient times, I'd like to see a wrpg set in ancient Rome, open world, non-linear, lots of choices. Playing a nobody who can follow careers of a politician, soldier or organize the freeing of slaves. Romance options with nobodies as well as famous people possible, like Cleopatra, Cesar, etc.. Yeah, Rome has been done in AC, but it felt shallow and was more of a backdrop.

thelawof4

I would be interested in a linear (or story-driven) rpg with a focus on the genocide of indigenous people pre 1940's.

Particularly a game during the time of early colonialism and genocide in the Americas or maybe even specifically following certain people that are being celebrated to this day without many people knowing about the dark sides of them.

I would say WWII from the American perspective has been covered to death, every thing else not so much, would be great to have some more Polish coverage

KevinKeene

Banned
I would be interested in a linear (or story-driven) rpg with a focus on the genocide of indigenous people pre 1940's.

Particularly a game during the time of early colonialism and genocide in the Americas or maybe even specifically following certain people that are being celebrated to this day without many people knowing about the dark sides of them.

There's not a single developer in existence who's capable of doing such a game with the necessary nuance. I think it'd be difficult enough for a movie, either.

The thing with many famous historical people is that they most definitely had moral shortcomings when compared to today, but weren't considered bad at all durimg their time. Which is why nuance would be necessary for such a setting. And nuance is a rareity these days.

makaveli60

With Kingdom Come: Deliverance and the Assassin's Creed series, it's always fun to visit some historical periods of time. I thought about some eras I haven't seen represented enough and it got me thinking of a very old and obscure Sierra adventure title for kids, Pepper's Adventure in Time. It's one of those few edutainment games that works really well. It sparked an interest in American history for me that still lives to this day.

Colonial North America I don't feel has enough representation in video games. Creed tried to do something in Assassin's Creed III but it was overall forgettable. Outside of it, I can't recall many recent games that aren't strategy related related to that era. I particularly like staying meeting the Forefathers and interacting with them, even if it's silly like in Day of the Tentacle.

What's some historical eras that haven't been touched on that you're interested in?

Do you really think ACIII's setting was forgettable? Can you mention anything else that better recreates historical settings than the AC franchise?

On topic:
I would really like a lot of settings for the next AC games, like India (any period), Russian revolution etc.

And as it was mentioned before I would love to have games that are set in the 90's and early 00's, when I was a kid/teen. The best I can think of is GTA San Andreas, what I would give to have a sequel to that game...

EBE

i would have liked a Ryse sequel set in first contact Mexico and the collapse of the Aztec empire

DryvBy

Do you really think ACIII's setting was forgettable? Can you mention anything else that better recreates historical settings than the AC franchise?

Kingdom Come: Deliverance :p

I think if this same game was done on the scale of modern AC games, it would have been amazing. All I really remember from that game is it being very bland and boring.

VALCON 82

Wasn't there a rumor that FROM software "might"be doing an IP based in Mayan culture/history? maybe i'm confusing this with something else..if so, thats definitely a period that is prime in my opinion.

makaveli60

Kingdom Come: Deliverance :p

I think if this same game was done on the scale of modern AC games, it would have been amazing. All I really remember from that game is it being very bland and boring.
I love that game and AC is one of my favorite franchises so I'm maybe biased about them, but I think Ubisoft's world building is objectively the best in the industry. I don't know if you've played AC:O but I like to describe it as an "Egypt simulator" and I'm sure if they made an AC set in the same time period as KC: D there would be no contest between the two games. I know of course it would be unfair to compare them for obvious reasons, but hopefully it is clear what I mean by this.

DryvBy

I love that game and AC is one of my favorite franchises so I'm maybe biased about them, but I think Ubisoft's world building is objectively the best in the industry. I don't know if you've played AC:O but I like to describe it as an "Egypt simulator" and I'm sure if they made an AC set in the same time period as KC: D there would be no contest between the two games. I know of course it would be unfair to compare them for obvious reasons, but hopefully it is clear what I mean by this.

I have. It's my latest Platinum trophy too. And it's one of my favorite Creed games as a game. I just don't remember much of ACIII.

makaveli60

I have. It's my latest Platinum trophy too. And it's one of my favorite Creed games as a game. I just don't remember much of ACIII.
I see. Well, hopefully the remaster rumor is true, perhaps you could give it another chance :) I don't know why is it so unpopular (and cool to hate it) :(

Catphish

I'd like to see a game from the perspective of native Americans as they struggled amidst European colonialism/settlement/invasion.

Any accompanying story wouldn't be a feel-good tale, obviously, but it could teach a whole lot.

KevinKeene

Banned

I've finished all AC-games but Origins. And I feel it's the opposite. Ubisoft is one of the worst developers when it comes to world building. Their worlds look pretty and authentic - but I never felt immersed, because the level of interaction and the customization and choices are so shallow that AC-games always had felt more like a cinematic theme park ride. Really nice to watch, but not a world to get attached to. That's what makes great world building: a world that makes the player just 'be' in that world. If AC achieved that for you, nice, but not for me.

NahaNago

I think for countries outside of the U.S. aiming for dates before the 1900s would be best. Aztecs would be nice, a Hawaiian tale would be nice. Slave trade in Africa would be interesting. Personally I think a game based off of corruption in religious organizations would be more interesting. Whether it be Christian, Catholic, Islam, or any other organization your bound to have some dirty history somewhere.

Ridcully

Late 1800s through 1920s. You can get a lot of mileage out of the late conflicts of the European empires, as ugly as they were. Maybe just make a series of Flashman games or something.

I'd like to see a game from the perspective of native Americans as they struggled amidst European colonialism/settlement/invasion.

Any accompanying story wouldn't be a feel-good tale, obviously, but it could teach a whole lot.

What do you suppose this would look like, though? A visual novel where you're railroaded into signing bad treaties?

brap

Banned
Early 2000s
jncoheader1080.png

And ancient china. We only get Dynasty Warriors and the ROTK games.

Catphish

What do you suppose this would look like, though? A visual novel where you're railroaded into signing bad treaties?
Maybe a single player adventure where you play a character, man or woman, on a quest to save a captured or enslaved family member... just for starters.

And I know you jest but, it wasn't the treaties that were bad. Just the honoring of them. :(

Last edited:

Dark Star

I’d like to play a game where you play as a Native American and have stealth around British camps, fight battles, etc that’s would be pretty cool with the bow And arrow combat, some gritty story line of a small tribe, maybe 3-4 main protagonists who have to battle nature as well (canoeing, bear fights, deer hunting, spear fishing)

Barakov

Gold Member
Early 20th century. The first two Shadowheart games and BF1 are the only ones I can think of. I'd really something that isn't a shooter or RTS exploring it, though.

Catphish

I’d like to play a game where you play as a Native American and have stealth around British camps, fight battles, etc that’s would be pretty cool with the bow And arrow combat, some gritty story line of a small tribe, maybe 3-4 main protagonists who have to battle nature as well (canoeing, bear fights, deer hunting, spear fishing)
I think that's a great idea. 👍

I think there's a game like that coming out. Except it takes place in the Wild West.

Kadayi

Banned
Years ago I used to play a turn-based postal game called En garde. it was basically set in musketeer period France (way before the revolution). The entire premise of the game was about climbing the slippery social ladder of Paris. Toadying up to those above you and politely treading on the fingers of those beneath you, joining the right gentlemen's club, holding gatherings, courting ladies, duelling against military/love rivals and trying to avoid getting killed during the summer campaign and hopefully earning enough loot to keep your debtors at bay whilst slowly gaining military rank and political power. It was a cool game with some really smart features and I've always thought that setting-wise something during that period could be pretty interesting.

Having recently been playing KCD, I wouldn't have thought it would be too hard to adapt the combat model of that to be more centred around foils and the like.

Remeard

Early 2000s

Why are you posting pictures of Riku and other 2000 era Square/Enix characters?

Anyways, essentially anything on the southern hemisphere of just about any era.

Edit: jesus christ I hate the new formatting on this website.

Last edited:
17th century, The closest I can think of is Assassin Creed IV but that was 1715 and I guess Cossacks 3 though its an RTS.This century brought North American colonialism by French and English, Thirty years war, English Civil War, Louis the 14, Tokugawa Japan, Age of Piracy and etc.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
This thread makes me realize how unexplored pre-colonization America is. Native Americans are pretty much always used as a side detail, for decoration or to use their mythology for white heroes to explore. The only positive example I can think of is Mel Gibson's Apocalypto.

A game truly centering around Native Americans (both south and north would be good) could offer truly new perspectives. It'd also force people to empathize with non-white heroes, simply because there were no white people see Kingdom Come's reasoning).

Afaik a gigantic ancient city was discovered recently with the help of satellitess/drones in South America. Imagine how nice it'd be to explore huge, lively, booming Inca/Atztek/Maya settlements. Mhm ... :)

makaveli60

I've finished all AC-games but Origins. And I feel it's the opposite. Ubisoft is one of the worst developers when it comes to world building. Their worlds look pretty and authentic - but I never felt immersed, because the level of interaction and the customization and choices are so shallow that AC-games always had felt more like a cinematic theme park ride. Really nice to watch, but not a world to get attached to. That's what makes great world building: a world that makes the player just 'be' in that world. If AC achieved that for you, nice, but not for me.
Then maybe I used the wrong words, and it's not "world building" but my point is that no one else can beat Ubisoft in recreating historical periods. You are right in that sense that we cannot interact with the world like in e.g. Deus Ex, but I think this is not the question here.

Last edited:

Aman-L

Neo Member

I working in a game studio, and we try to make a T- RPG about this specific period.
Publisher don't want to talk about it, too problematic for the US market.

It's really a shame because this genocide is one of the biggest of human history, and we don't have a lot a cultural creation which talk about it

Fbh

I'd love to see a game in the early days of Europeans arriving in America.
Would be interesting to play from both perspective, the natives and the invaders.

Harlock

More late 70s/early 80s. But without cliches, like Hotel Dusk did. You have that mix of really old stuff still present.

Makariel

I'm still puzzled we have so few swashbuckling adventures during the times of the French revolution. Egypt has recently been focus of AC, but I think ancient Egypt would have much more stories to tell. I would also like to play a spy RPG behind the iron curtain during the cold war, don't care if Bond or le Carre. And how come we have so few games set in ancient China? Or what about WW1, but not as a multiplayer shooter?

Top Bottom