• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

History of Defunct Video Gaming Companies I - JALECO

Cygnus X-1

Hi everyone. I have decided to start a series of threads regarding video gaming companies of the past to trigger some nostalgic, constructive and fun discussions.

The first company I would like to discuss is JALECO (1973 - 2009 [de facto]). Here below there are the old and newer logos.

Jaleco_logo_1988-2001.JPG
Jaleco_logo_2002-2006.jpg

As there is a very extensive history page on Wikipedia, instead of copy-paste it here (ha), I prefer to bring some notable games as examples. Of course feel free to add more games to the list as it is not intended to be exhaustive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Bases Loaded (1988, Nintendo Entertainment System)

18hgy7zjch4hmjpg.jpg

http://rkuykendall.com/articles/history-baseball-video-games said:
Bases Loaded had simple controls and solid gameplay, including great base stealing and pitching control, but was also aided by an impressive advance in graphics. The game featured twelve different teams, each with around thirty players, and was the first game where players were complete with individual statistics. If you hit a player enough time, it would start a brawl, which is an interesting feature that has failed to come up in future games. Jaleco added the Hardball behind-the-pitcher view, and game included a scrolling field which much more realistically followed the ball instead of switching between predefined shots or a static field.

bases-loaded-usa-rev-b.png
bases-loaded-usa-rev-b.png

2) Totally Rad (1990, Nintendo Entertainment Systems)

Totally_Rad_cover_NES.jpg

http://www.retrogameage.com/nes/totally-rad said:
Totally Rad is a late Jaleco release that suffers from a lack of polish.[...] Ignore the cut scenes and you are left with a game that certainly looks like it could rub shoulders with the likes of Castlevania and Shatterhand. Unfortunately Totally Rad lacks that master stroke that comes from an expert game designer. What you are left with is a solid game that is badly balanced and at times feels straight up broken. [...] While the gameplay came up short the presentation doesn’t. In this regard Totally Rad is on equal footing with some of the best the NES has to offer. Parallax scrolling is used pretty extensively, sometimes 3-4 levels deep. Beyond the level of detail in the backgrounds are the massive bosses. These giant monstrosities take up nearly a third of the screen, an impressive feat.

totally-rad-01.png
totally-rad-05.png

Totally-Rad-U-201301070939459.jpg
Totally+Rad+%2528U%2529+201306221503056.bmp

3) The Ignition Factor - Fire Fighting (JP) (1994-1995, Super Nintendo Entertainment System)

ignitionfactor-label.jpg

https://www.giantbomb.com/the-ignition-factor/3030-26193/ said:
The Ignition Factor is a top-down action game in which the player takes on the role of a firefighter. The game aims to simulate realistic situations, tasking players with the job of saving civilians, subduing flames, and ultimately discovering the source of the fire.

ignition-factor-01.png
ignition-factor-07.png
ignition-factor-09.png
ignition-factor-05.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

wondermega

Jaleco were an interesting company, back in the day Bases Loaded was regarded rather highly as probably the premiere representation of the sport on the NES - I think they tried following sit by building off that goodwill with some other sports titles, but nothing really stuck. I am fairly certain they came out of left field with an amazing rendition of Atari's Rampart of all things, which looked pretty lackluster but played really well.

Last thing I remember, early 2000s they gave Ron Millar a bunch of money to do whatever he liked - one of the early Blizzard dudes, and I believe he contributed significantly to the design of Starcraft which was still quite huge. He made a game for then-flagging Jaleco called Goblin Commander, after which I don't remember hearing anything more about either the studio or him..

RoddlesRodpad

Neo Member
Don't forget Saint Dragon which was an excellent Arcade side scrolling shooter from 1989 that was ported to a large amount of home computers at the time.

Saint Dragon_Front.jpg

sdr01.gif

655746-saint-dragon-arcade-screenshot-nice-variety-of-enemies.png

Back in the SNES days, I really wanted to play Tuff E Nuff. I read that the fighters got bloody, when their health got low. That was pretty exciting for a 12 year old.

tuff-e-nuff-03.png

120v

kind of funny you could release Totally Rad today as an ironic nostalgia grab indie and nobody would blink twice

pswii60

Don't forget Saint Dragon which was an excellent Arcade side scrolling shooter from 1989 that was ported to a large amount of home computers at the time.

Saint Dragon_Front.jpg

sdr01.gif

655746-saint-dragon-arcade-screenshot-nice-variety-of-enemies.png
I got the C64 version but the free badge was broken and poster badly creased, so my dad kindly sent the publishers a letter to complain. I then received free replacements.

Now I look back and wonder why I cared about a shitty badge and poster lol

Dunan

Loved Bases Loaded as a kid and only much later did I discover that the player stats and uniform colors come directly from the two Japanese major leagues, where the game had an official license.

My team, Boston, was the Hanshin Tigers. The game is actually a little racist -- all the players who charge the mound when you hit them with pitches are foreign imports except one, and that guy (Hiromitsu Ochiai, or Fendy of Washington D. C.) was famous for being American-like in his behavior.

theclaw135

Banned
Jaleco tried everything it feels like. Many would call R-Type III a good pick.
Tetris Plus is decent too.

On the negative side, there's Urusei Yatsura Lum's Wedding Bell.
A frustratingly inferior conversion of Momoko 120%. Featuring one of the best anime songs ever can't save it.
547196-urusei-yatsura-lum-no-wedding-bell-nes-screenshot-the-first.png

RAIDEN1

Who remembers Cisco Heat? I remember getting that for the Amiga! That's the only Jaleco game I brought..

Back in the SNES days, I really wanted to play Tuff E Nuff. I read that the fighters got bloody, when their health got low. That was pretty exciting for a 12 year old.

tuff-e-nuff-03.png

Humorously enough, the US version cut out most of the dialog and story and also cut out the blood on the characters. So if you play Dead Dance (Super Famicom) it has all of it intact.

It's also one of my favorite Jaleco games along with Rushing Beat Ran (Brawl Brothers) and Rushing beat Shura (The Peace Keepers). For some reason they had this obsession with making significant changes when they brought games over, too.

oldergamer

Ahhahaha I used to work for Jaleco. This thread amused me. Note the difference between the old and new logo, they were literally separate companies. When Jaleco came back they had nothing to do with the original Japanese company. Only link was in name.

Futaleufu

I remember 2 decent arcade games they made: Cisco Heat, an Out Run clone inside a city (San Francisco) with a lot of scaling sprites, and Game Tengoku, a 32 bit vertical shooter in the vein of Parodius. They lacked a franchise that could carry them past the mid 90s.

oh man, just seeing this! awesome thread and idea.

played bases loaded on the gameboyOG on the airplane SO much.

could never beat the second match, would jsut get pummled

also - since this is the first of your history threads some constructive crit, i know you say there is a wikipedia onthe company, but you should either copy and paste some highlights from there that tells the general story of the company or paraphrase in your own words

EdgeXL

Out of curiosity, if Jaleco is defunct who holds their IPs? I have Bases Loaded and City Connection on my 3DS.

pramod

Banned
Or how about Carrier series (DC/PS2), it's still one of my favorite survival horror games. Like a precursor to Resident Evil Revelations.

51738NRNHJL._SX466_.jpg

DREAMCAST--Carrier_Oct9%2014_02_13.png

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Probably not a big part of game in anyway, but their names on the box so they gave me my favorite NES game of all time

22044_front.jpg

So many memories playing thst game!!

TaroYamada

Jaleco were an interesting company, back in the day Bases Loaded was regarded rather highly as probably the premiere representation of the sport on the NES - I think they tried following sit by building off that goodwill with some other sports titles, but nothing really stuck. I am fairly certain they came out of left field with an amazing rendition of Atari's Rampart of all things, which looked pretty lackluster but played really well.

Last thing I remember, early 2000s they gave Ron Millar a bunch of money to do whatever he liked - one of the early Blizzard dudes, and I believe he contributed significantly to the design of Starcraft which was still quite huge. He made a game for then-flagging Jaleco called Goblin Commander, after which I don't remember hearing anything more about either the studio or him..

I forgot about Goblin Commander, I remember the ads for it when gaming mags were still a serious thing.

Rival Turf....to put it mildly it wasn't as good as Final Fight or Streets of Rage..

Owned Rival Turf. Great name but it was garbage compared to either of those franchises.

Very interesting OP. You tapped my nostalgia pretty well. I remember playing a lot of these on my NES. Looking forward to your next thread.

stranno

Didnt know about Ignition Factor. It looks like Human's The Firemen.

Carrier was a great game. I think it was the first survival horror ever to feature plant-zombies, later copied by Resident Evil.

JP

A wonderful idea for a thread, thanks. Looking forward to future threads also.
Oh man, I loved that in the arcades. I remember hanging it around hard corners.

118124207040.png
I've not even heard of this but in this shot it looks a little like an early Crazy Taxi style game only not as open.

atpbx

Had a look through their history as even though ive been gaming for 35 years or so, i homestly couldnt remener ever playing anything they had made.

Then I saw Rod Land, which if i remeber rightly was a fun little platformer where you played as a fairy amd used your magic wand to smash fuck out of the cute badies.

El Sabroso

I remember playing Rival Turf on the SNES, which was a fun but crappy Final Fight clone.

Rushing Beat series is interesting, you can see how it evolves in each title, and the last one (The Peace Keepers) is really good in its Japanese version (Rushing Beat Shura), the conversion to Peace Keepers has some missing enemies and effects but is worth also checking out if there is no access to the japanese release

Link1110

I still play bases loaded 3 whenever I get together with my cousin. Definitely my favorite baseball game ever

1morerobot

I had no idea Jaleco lasted until 2009.

Bases Loaded and BL2 were favorites of mine as a kid. Absolutely loved them. Especially the pitching which for the time was just stellar.

Totally Rad looks like it has some very cool boss designs!

And that firefighting game looks interesting also.

The list of titles available for licensing includes the following:

TitleGenreFirst Release
64th Street: A Detective StoryAction1991
Aeroboto / Formation ZShooter1984
ArgusShooter1986
Avenging Spirit / PhantasmAction1991
Bases LoadedSports1987
Bashi Bazook: Morphoid Masher / Bio Senshi DanAction1987
Battle Unit ZeothAction Shooter1990
Best Bout BoxingSports1993
Big RunRacing1989
Brawl Brothers / Rushing Beat RanAction1992
ButasanAction1987
Captain FlagAction1993
CarrierAction Adventure2000
Chimera BeastShooterUnreleased
Cisco HeatRacing1990
City Connection / CruisinAction1985
CybattlerShooter1993
Desert WarShooter1995
Dragon SeedsSimulation1998
E.D.F. Earth Defense ForceShooter1991
Earth Defense Force / Super E.D.F.Shooter1991
ExerionShooter1983
Field CombatShooter1985
Fortified ZoneAction Shooter1993
Game Paradise / Game TengokuShooter1995
Goal!Sports1989
HoopsSports1988
Ignition Factor / Fire FightingAction1994
Kick OffSports1988
MetalMech: Man & MachineAction Shooter1990
Ninja JaJaMaru-kunAction1985
Ninja KazanAction1988
Operation: Logic BombAction Shooter1993
P-47 AcesShooter1988
P-47 The Phantom FighterShooter1995
Pinball QuestPinball1989
Pizza PopAction1992
Plus AlphaShooter1989
Psychic 5Action1987
Racket AttackSports1988
Rival Turf / Rushing BeatAction1992
Rock’n TreadMusic1999
RodlandAction1990
Saint DragonShooter1989
Second Earth GratiaShooter1996
Sky Fox / ExerizerShooter1987
SoldamPuzzle1992
Stepping StageMusic1999
The Astyanax / The Road Of KingAction1989
The Peace Keepers / Rushing Beat ShuraAction1993
Totally Rad / Magic JohnAction1990
Tuff E Nuff / Dead DanceFighting1993
ValtricShooter1986
Whomp ‘Em / Saiyuki World 2Action1990
Wild PilotShooter1993
Yokai ClubAction1987

This thread is right up my alley, thanks for bumping it up. I absolutely love these random late 80's, early 90's devs out of Japan. Operation Logic Bomb is a very underrated title, it's pure 16-bit magic.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Most of their stuff seemed to be copy cats that didn't quite achieve the original greatness but this is a gem of a shmup.

I only discovered it recently then wondered what the massively expanded story of the Saturn port is about with so much talking.

Then I saw that version has been localized and released on Steam and other platforms relatively recently by City Connection. Awesome!
But yeah their games tend to look just a bit behind the times and riff off classics like Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Rastan, Wonder Boy, Contra, Mega Man, even Out Run & Ridge Racer (though this video in particular has pretty bad looking emulation on the later 3D stuff so look for better).

Last edited:
Top Bottom