• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

History of FROM software [IGN] & where to next?

Armored Core :)

tumblr_mmn7amkcqN1spjmjdo1_400.gif

I love the opening cinematic of 4A so much

Kinthalis

Banned
considering how fast PS4s are flying off shelves i dont think they're worried

It's not just about sales, but you're nuts if you don't think they are stil leaving money on the table.

It's about the FANS. They've got fans everywhere now. They'll do better as a company by catoring to as many fo them as possible.

Many companies have found out just how true that is when their sugar daddy publisher decides they are no longer relevant.

Tevious

A sci-fi game with the souls gameplay is my top pick. I can imagine having some big space ship as your hub and each 'world' location would actually be its own planet.

Or change up the dark theme and do something more fantasy-like. I wouldn't mind the B-Team to do a Dark Souls 3, though.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well, back to PC and Xbone, hopefully. Sucks to cut your possible fan base to a single platform.

Unfortunately for that fan base, i think that multiplats are more of a curiosity for From than anything else, like SE toward Xbox. If you look, 90% of all their games are exclusive to Playstation...and now with Kadokawa owning them, that's probably going to be even more the case.

yuraya

AC V, AC: Verdict Day and Gundam Unicorn were developed in between Dark Souls I and II

I was more so referring to Miyazaki. No way he is gonna stop directing the souls type games for Armored core now considering how popular the souls games have become. I just don't see it happening.

Kinthalis

Banned
Unfortunately for that fan base, i think that multiplats are more of a curiosity for From than anything else, like SE toward Xbox. If you look, 90% of all their games are exclusive to Playstation...and now with Kadokawa owning them, that's probably going to be even more the case.

Sucks if true. They made alot of money with Darksouls going multi-plat, and it's probably one fo the reason they are so popular and well known today. I sure as hell never heard of them before (though I'm mostly a PC gamer).

They have me as a fan now. I guess it's up to them if they want my money. I hope so, I'll gladly give it to them for another good game, whethe rin the darksouls vein or otherwise.

Sephzilla

Armored Core :)

tumblr_mmn7amkcqN1spjmjdo1_400.gif

I love the opening cinematic of 4A so much

HNNNNGH WHITE GLINT
It's not just about sales, but you're nuts if you don't think they are stil leaving money on the table.

It's about the FANS. They've got fans everywhere now. They'll do better as a company by catoring to as many fo them as possible.

Many companies have found out just how true that is when their sugar daddy publisher decides they are no longer relevant.

Depends how much money Sony threw at them to make Bloodborne.

Legit curious question - did people have issues with exclusivity like this when there were tons of PS2 exclusive games?

Inuhanyou

I was more so referring to Miyazaki. No way he is gonna stop directing the souls type games for Armored core now considering how popular the souls games have become. I just don't see it happening.

We better get another FOR ANSWER, that was Miyazaki's break out hit(IMO). With everything he's learned with the Souls and BB games so far, applying that to his other projects is a mouth watering prospect

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
i hope they make a new King's Field

This. On current hardware would be something to die for. Or die from. Or something like that.

This again...still shocked I found out the other day they are the folks behind that game, series.

Easily one of my fav PS1 games. Doing some reading now and it seems in the U.S. Kings Field was actually Kings Field 2....

I hate hearing that about a game, series I like. Makes me wanna go back and import, play the orig game.

Inuhanyou

Legit curious question - did people complain about exclusivity like this when there were tons of PS2 exclusive games?

Of course not. But for a lot of people, the times are different. Everyone releases their games multiplat(everyone western), so coming to grips with actual third party exclusives with it not on other platforms is hard for people, especially PC users who have as diverse a library as they want on steam.

But that's always been PS's strength IMO, and why i always go there. Japanese devs always give me a reason to buy int that ecosystem

Kinthalis

Banned
HNNNNGH WHITE GLINT

Legit curious question - did people complain about exclusivity like this when there were tons of PS2 exclusive games?

There was less internet then, and less ways for people to learn about games on other platforms.

Exclusivity is bad for gamers. It's good for console manufacturers though.

I'm a gamer, I'm not a console manufacturer.

Sephzilla

There was less internet then, and less ways for people to learn about games on other platforms.

But is a game being exclusive to one system bad when that one system is the system that a majority of console gamers are buying?

Don't get me wrong, I'll have no issue with From Soft going back to multiplat.

Nyoro SF

HNNNNGH WHITE GLINT

Legit curious question - did people have issues with exclusivity like this when there were tons of PS2 exclusive games?

Platform wars have existed forever. I remember endlessly debating (stupidly) with N64 vs. PS1, GCN vs. PS2 back in the day. Naturally exclusives are the first "weapon" in an argument like that. Of course, arguments in platform exclusives go even further back than that.

But ultimately,
Exclusives are bad for gamers. They're also bad for "spread" and popularization of a title, limiting its reach.
Sometimes an exclusive can't be helped; you want to focus on one platform, or maybe the platform in question is the only one capable of doing what you need the game to do. But this isn't talking about that.
They're great for companies and their mindshare, and they're great for fanboys who want earmarks in a platform list war. But past that, they're only bad for overall consumers.

Inuhanyou

Its the reality of the console industry. Being a PC gamer may have made you oblivious to what went on in the console world in regards to these things since the start(From being the current case), but i think all it comes down to whether or not one cares about those games enough to invest in that ecosystem to play them.

I'm in that situation for many games as that's all i've ever known of the industry(that is, you go where the games you want are), but i can understand how someone like yourself who is not acquainted with that side of the industry would be uncomfortable with it once a console exclusive that caught your eye came over to PC by chance that you wanted to play.

It is an unfortunate situation for those fans, you guys do have my condolences about that

Sephzilla

Platform wars have existed forever. I remember endlessly debating (stupidly) with N64 vs. PS1, GCN vs. PS2 back in the day. Naturally exclusives are the first "weapon" in an argument like that. Of course, arguments in platform exclusives go even further back than that.

But ultimately,
Exclusives are bad for gamers. They're also bad for "spread" and popularization of a title, limiting its reach.
Sometimes an exclusive can't be helped; you want to focus on one platform, or maybe the platform in question is the only one capable of doing what you need the game to do. But this isn't talking about that.
They're great for companies and their mindshare, and they're great for fanboys who want earmarks in a platform list war. But past that, they're only bad for overall consumers.

I'll try to wrap up my contribution to this because we've gotten off topic. Eh, I guess I'm just super old school or something because when there was a game I wanted for a system I didn't own, I just saved up money and got the system and the game. A perfect example was me owning just a PS2 until Halo happened on Xbox. Exclusive games will always be a thing because they are the most marketable selling points. It's just a reality of the industry I've come to accept.

Nyoro SF

I'll try to wrap up my contribution to this because we've gotten off topic. Eh, I guess I'm just super old school or something because when there was a game I wanted for a system I didn't own, I just saved up money and got the system and the game. A perfect example was me owning just a PS2 until Halo happened on Xbox. Exclusive games will always be a thing because they are the most marketable selling points. It's just a reality of the industry I've come to accept.

I don't mind admitting that it's something I have to do in order to play certain games but I think as a consumer it's important to recognize that exclusives aren't done for consumer benefit.

Accepting the reality is one step, and the next step should be condemnation of the practice... since we're not businessmen of Sony, MS, etc... and the stock options of a company will likely not spike on announcement of game exclusives so there's no reason to get hyped as an investor either. :p

Boogdud

Wow, I didn't realize that I had been a fan of their games since the very beginning. I think I've owned just about every release. King's Field was the first console rpg I really enjoyed. As a mech fan they've been my go-to for a long time.

Armored Core:Silent Line was fantastic back in the day. Sunk so many damn hours unlocking missions and parts in that game.

From's always been a company that I've liked, unknowingly at first. Demons Souls...goddamn I remember reading up on people who played the Japanese release and finding it peculiar that despite that, all the voice acting was in English. Man what a trip to play Demons Souls when it came out...nothing like it.

Foffy

Banned
They have been the king of dark fantasy RPGs since the PS1, but it was only with Demon's Souls that this somehow caught on. I guess it goes to show if you stick to your motivations, eventually it'll twerk out. Many people who work on From's dark fantasy games have done so specifically because King's Field, where the evidence is most apparent in the Dark Souls titles.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'd like to see them tackle a full-blooded character action game with combos and what not. Kinda my thing. Japanese do it better anyway.

I would love them to make a sci-fi themed souls game with weird robots and horrible looking aliens. I also think they could make an awesome pure horror themed souls game, but it looks like Bloodbourne might have already been that, I will find out tomorrow :).

First time I ever heard of From Software was on Edge 11, july 1994. There was an extensive feature article about the upcoming Playstation and several games were presented. Among others, there was this little picture of Zero Divide that caught my attention (3d fighting with giant robots? Wow - at that time Virtua Fighter was the one and only 3d fighting game). They also should have never heard of them at that time, and the company name sounded a little confusing, because the picture tagline said literally: "Zero Divide from From Software (sic)". I don't know why I still remember this, lol

Foffy

Banned
Well, yes. Unless everyone own a PS4, which they don't.

I understand your view, but in the case of From, this is merely more of the same. I'll list the types of dark fantasy games the company has made, and perhaps you'll see a trend:

- King's Field
- King's Field II
- King's Field III
- Shadow Tower
- Eternal Ring
- King's Field IV
- King's Field Additional
- Shadow Tower Abyss
- Demon's Souls
- Dark Souls
- Dark Souls II
- Bloodborne

Only two games here were multiplatform. From's type of experience has always 'led' on Sony systems. If you're interested in these games from them, you need to partake in Sony's ecosystem, more or less.

Gurrry

I think From needs to keep doing what theyre doing. Keep pumping out Souls games. Just let the A team do them from here on out. Its quite amazing how much different BB and DS1 are from DS2.

My main wish is that other devs take notes from FromSoft and implement what they do into more games. Use of shortcuts, interconnected worlds, and bigger challenges are what make games great.

Its true that there is room for all types of games, but I wish more devs used these tactics to make their game stand out more. I think Uncharted is a series that would benefit in a huge way from the use of interconnected worlds, shortcuts, etc. Deviate away from the linear path and make it so that the player feels like he is truly exploring for the lost treasure.

Sesha

I've known about From since the PS1 era, but the first game of theirs I played was Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven, and at that time I was under the assumption that the developers were the same as Tenchu 1/2. I remember being interested in Eternal Ring but I never bought it for some reason.

I want them to make a character action game next. Not like Ninja Blade. Something to compete with NG, DMC and Bayonetta. Then co-develop Tenchu 5 with Acquire.

I think From needs to keep doing what theyre doing. Keep pumping out Souls games. Just let the A team do them from here on out. Its quite amazing how much different BB and DS1 are from DS2.

My main wish is that other devs take notes from FromSoft and implement what they do into more games. Use of shortcuts, interconnected worlds, and bigger challenges are what make games great.

Its true that there is room for all types of games, but I wish more devs used these tactics to make their game stand out more. I think Uncharted is a series that would benefit in a huge way from the use of interconnected worlds, shortcuts, etc. Deviate away from the linear path and make it so that the player feels like he is truly exploring for the lost treasure.

Agreed. I want to see games like Devil May Cry use this kind of level and world design in the future. Not only that, but the way they create an oppressive atmosphere and worlds that feel lived it is something more developers should do as well. Plenty of indie games do, but I want to see more of this in the middleware and AAA-space. And in DMCs case I want Capcom to take some inspiration from Bloodborne's deliciously gothic environments.

I always find it weird how a company that has been around for ages, is suddenly so praised and talked about, and getting "fans" and people so interested they make mini-documentaries about them, when before their games were called either too mediocre or hardcore/bad. They have been around the entire time and have always made good games imo.

Wonder if they will do the same if a company like freaking Compile Heart ends up making a surprising hit as well haha.

While I would like a current gen Armored Core (and for it to catch on), I would really love a new 3D Dot Game Heroes. Sure, FROM didnt make that game BUT they did publish it.

All I know is I want another Chromehounds. The sad part is I can't even go back and play Chromehounds because they killed off the servers and the offline play is extremely limited.

Hmmm. I'd actually like to see B-Team stay on Souls for another game to see what they learned from their first outing, fan feedback, and witnessing the reception of Miyazaki's Bloodborne. And even more, I'd hope that Namco or whoever now insist Miyazaki have more of a presence during design / development of Souls games if that's possible (not head up the project, just more of a input and heeded advice).

I'd actually let A-Team (preferably with Miyazaki heading it) revive older IP's and create new ones, for A-Team members to splinter off to form a C-Team and take over.

Miyazaki Souls is best Souls imo, but I'd rather see him and his core crew free to work their magic among old and new IP's that could really use his touch. And he can always come back to head up a Souls game if he misses it or if the series needs a shot in the arm.

Raide

Yeah, Souls games need to rest for a while. Work on AC or Otogi next.

Actually, screw it. MS, pay FROM to make a Bloodborne exclusive game set in the world of Otogi. Mythical Japanese beasts and magic ninja shit.

autoduelist

its a little more complex than that. exclusives help sell consoles and establish their identity and ecosystem. that is, as you say, they are good for console manufacturers. but in turn, a lack of exclusives would hurt them and could ultimately be bad for gamers long term. that is, we want healthy manufacturers therefore we need solid exclusives like bloodborne too. it is circular

Top Bottom