• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman 3 Comparison - Xbox Series X vs Xbox Series S vs Xbox One X vs One S vs PS4 vs PS4 Pro vs PS5

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Another One Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

Getting it out of the way so the thread can prosper.

Allandor

Never heard of them.
Well, they are more or less a small "xbox"-fan channel. But well, this comparison is neutral enough. But doesn't got into detail either.

What to get from the video:
- xbox one S/X has no HDR (settings missing)
- current gen consoles run 60fps flawlessly (in their tests)
- Playstation has an optional "open framerate"-mode missing on the xbox consoles
- Series X seems to have a slightly higher resolution (or texture quality) and also higher shadow resolution (they don't mention the shadows, but just look at the scene with the banana, the shadow of the shelf in the background) -> might have something to do with PS4 Pro and x1x versions of the game. Might just be a kind of BC mode active.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I think the XSX version uses a tiny bit higher resolution than PS5, if you look at the top of the gate in the shot where they are talking about the car number plate, I haven't watched it all as I don't want to spoil anything else until I play it so maybe the PS5 looks sharper later on in the comparison.

Although the gamma curve looks to be different between the consoles, more than usual, in that shot I mentioned. Which makes the XSX version look flatter so I think even with the small resolution difference its better looking on PS5.

Super excited to start this tomorrow.

Dane

XSX seems to have a slightly higher res and better shadows at distance at 2:48. Colors were kinda off though.

Last edited:

Banned
Interesting. No RT at launch?

yeah, but tbh it's not like it desperately needs it.
they use render to texture reflections with great effect in their engine. and render to texture reflections can actually look better than RT reflections since they don't suffer from artifacting that comes from the low ray count and the de-noising needed to create a coherent image from the low ray count.

Last edited:

Uhtred

I guess I will wait for DF to help me decide. Even if I have to wait a day or two.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
So now SX edges it with a high res version?

Not bad to see the progress with the tools.
I have great doubt about it. The "method" they use to establish the "higher" resolution is really opinable and why use a single scene? Nonsense

Last edited:

Allandor

I have great doubt about it. The "method" they use to establish the "higher" resolution is completely wrong.
they didn't pixel count, yes. But it is clearly visible that the SX has a slightly higher res. Not the texture they think about (that would just be texture res), but you can spot differences in the same scene, like AnotherOne AnotherOne pointed out a few posts above (even if the picture has many compression artifacts). Just look at the edge of the desk pad (or whatever this is). I don't think it is a big difference, might just be something BC related after all (I think that because of the slightly different texture resolution).

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Well, they are more or less a small "xbox"-fan channel. But well, this comparison is neutral enough. But doesn't got into detail either.

- Playstation has an optional "open framerate"-mode missing on the xbox consoles
- Series X seems to have a slightly higher resolution (or texture quality) and also higher shadow resolution (they don't mention the shadows, but just look at the scene with the banana, the shadow of the shelf in the background) -> might have something to do with PS4 Pro and x1x versions of the game. Might just be a kind of BC mode active.
"Neutral". You don't establish tech stuff taking a single picture and presuming things. You need more samples and tech evidence/argumentation. Wouldn't be surprising if they are completely wrong in most of their assumptions.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
they didn't pixel count, yes. But it is clearly visible that the SX has a slightly higher res. Not the texture they think about (that would just be texture res), but you can spot differences in the same scene, like AnotherOne AnotherOne pointed out a few posts above (even if the picture has many compression artifacts). Just look at the edge of the desk pad (or whatever this is). I don't think it is a big difference, might just be something BC related after all (I think that because of the slightly different texture resolution).
Again a single picture prove nothing.

Anchovie123

The most surprising info from this video is that the One X doesnt have a 60fps mode while the PS4 Pro does? 🤔 I know that PSVR games need to meet a 60fps certification requirement for PSVR maybe that has something to do with it.

assurdum

Banned

I take your quote just to have some clarification. Take as reliable your resume: what is it the open framerate setting. They said it runs flawlessly on current generation at 60 FPS (anyway current gen is the new console? Because no way it runs 60 fps in the oldest) but also open framerate it's absent on Xbox console, so the hell they meant? Because open framerate was basically 60 fps in the previous games. Furthermore if the Xbox even lack of this option why it should push higher some graphic setting if it can't even handle an higher fps options hearing them, seems strange to me.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Series x really starting to pull away now.
Never knew a minor resolution boost was pulling away...

The real comparisons will come when both parties release their exclusive titles, using the full horsepower of either unit, only then will we be able to definitively say who is the more powerful console.

But on paper the Series X should be winning, it has the engineering nous and the specs to make it a powerhouse, I just wouldn't say what we have seen so far from it's third party showings translates to that expectation.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Does this has proper PS5/S|X version? Or is it another "we did different config file for PS4/X1 versions"?

Concern

"Neutral". You don't establish tech stuff taking a single picture and presuming things. You need more samples and tech evidence/argumentation. Wouldn't be surprising if they are completely wrong in most of their assumptions.

I take your quote just to have some clarification. Take as reliable your resume: what is it the open framerate setting. They said it runs flawlessly on current generation at 60 FPS (anyway current gen is the new console? Because no way it runs 60 fps in the oldest) but also open framerate it's absent on Xbox console, so the hell they meant? Because open framerate was basically 60 fps in the previous games. Furthermore if the Xbox even lack of this option why it should push higher some graphic setting if it can't even handle an higher fps options hearing them, seems strange to me.

Some of you are so emotionally caught up in these faceoff vids lol. Who pissed in your cereal?

Its always the same shit in every thread. Im starting to think nobody is enjoying their console. Pathetic

assurdum

Banned
Never knew a minor resolution boost was pulling away...

The real comparisons will come when both parties release their exclusive titles, using the full horsepower of either unit, only then will we be able to definitively say who is the more powerful console.

But on paper the Series X should be winning, it has the engineering nous and the specs to make it a powerhouse, I just wouldn't say what we have seen so far from it's third party showings translates to that expectation.
The only better thing of series X is the more CUs and nothing more. Let me put their hardware specs in a different perspective. We can say PS5 has a 22% of faster gpu in the whole specs. And the series X has around of the 30% of more CUs which represent the 40% of the GPU perfomance. Where exactly is clearly ahead in specs the series X hardware? I wouldn't be even so sure their particularly RAM/bandwidth give it a proper advantage over the ps5. Too many people looks the higher number but forget the contest. If I'm not wrong even the higher AMD GPU has the same bandwidth of the ps5. So it means series X is potentially ahead of them?

Last edited:

Allandor

Yes, this is strange. I guess on xbox one (s) console, you don't need that mode. But on the one x it would be great.
But I can just assume, that this is not a native PS5 game, and they added the option to open framerates to all PS consoles, because they couldn't detect if it is a PS5 or not or something like that. So if the PS5 runs the game in BC mode it get's its 60fps which would not work if the (at least) PS4 Pro didn't have that mode.
Just an assumption. But I have no doubts that they will patch some stuff. E.g. missing HDR on the xbox one s & x consoles is really strange.

Allandor

That is correct, but it is hard to get pixel counts these days with all that temporal AA applied to the picture. At least in this the SX has the higher res (better?).
And as I mention, they are not the typical pixel counters, just a bunch of xbox-fans (at least they mostly report about xbox stuff). I only pointed out the things that were seen/highlighted in the video. Nothing more. Other Comparisons should arrive soon.

And yes, the video is quite neutral. Not technical correct (they just say what they see) but that's all. They pointed out the missing features from the xbox version, highlighted that the PS4 version can run over 30fps (well without reaching 60 really), made sample screens from different spots (not just that one that was linked here), ... but never actually pixel counted, but told their impressions (a really good looking game on both platforms).

At least you should watch the video and read what I've wrote before those statements ;)
I'm not making stuff up or something like this, just writing about what the video was about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom