• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Abomination - Stealth, No Map, Killing only target 'ambition' and more

Ahoi-Brause said:
Well yeah, the shooter part is speculation from my side considering the info and leaked gameplay. They even stated it has a higher focus on gunplay and considering this is from the people who made kane & lynch 2 and not the original hitman crew, the focus on checkpoints and linear level design and the fact that you refil "instinct" with doing stealth takedowns - I'm fairly certain that this game will be more action oriented.

How much shooting was there in the demo? I know 47 got shot at, he took a hostage, but how often did he actually shoot somebody? I mean, he bashed people with bongs, ripped out wire and used it as a garrote, used a nightstick to off somebody, and hit somebody with a bust of an old guy. Also, regarding linear level design... that's not really the impression I got. I thought it would still be wide open areas, that just have linear bits that funnel you from one area to the next. Is that wrong?

Also, I thought KL2 was a decent game... but not worth 60 bucks for a four hour campaign. Redeem yourself for this failure, IO, and give a long fucking campaign for Absolution.

cackhyena

MMaRsu said:
This is Hitman, a series about being out in the open, going around like everyday's business and not making people notice you. Creating 'accidents' to kill your only target.
So i asked before, but do you use a lot of costumes in these games? Doesn't it kinda break immersion if a bald guy with no eyebrows and a bar code on his head goes and does all this shit in the open?

hitman-blood-money-mardi-gras.jpg

If they can even touch some of the level design quality they achieved on previous Hitman games, then I'l stomach the "streamlining" of the game's mechanics.

edit: found a smaller image

MMaRsu

Banned
cackhyena said:
So i asked before, but do you use a lot of costumes in these games? Doesn't it kinda break immersion if a bald guy with no eyebrows and a bar code on his head goes and does all this shit in the open?

So you've never play BM before? Such a shame my man! Get on that :).

Yes you do use a lot of costumes in these games, and it is kind of weird that a bald dude with a barcode on his head tries on all these different costumes but I think that's just because 47 is supposed to be a blank canvas kind of guy.

And also, they didn't even change the main characters looks in this one so it shouldn't matter. I'm just very worried about this game. The developers seem to misunderstand so much about the previous games.

cackhyena said:
Are you asking about his play style or the games themselves? Every level in Blood Money has various costumes/uniforms with varying degrees of security clearance. It's sort of puzzle-like in how you get into different areas.

cackhyena said:
Not if he wears a hat and uses a Sharpie on his eyebrows. MASTER OF DISGUISE!

Doesn't it break the immersion in Splinter Cell when Sam Fisher is in the dark, but has 3 glowing lights showing enemies where his head is?

Cerepol

Can anyone here recommend which hitman games to actually play? I've never actually played the series but always wanted to. I also believe it'll be coming on steam sale sometime soon (Summer Sale!) so I plan on grabbing them there

Interfectum

Cerepol said:
Can anyone here recommend which hitman games to actually play? I've never actually played the series but always wanted to. I also believe it'll be coming on steam sale sometime soon (Summer Sale!) so I plan on grabbing them there

Hitman: Blood Money

You can play it on 360 or PC. Fantastic game.

Derrick01

Banned
Blood Money is generally regarded as the best from a gameplay perspective. Play that and then join us in our anger on how bad this next one will be.

Cerepol

Derrick01 said:
Blood Money is generally regarded as the best from a gameplay perspective. Play that and then join us in our anger on how bad this next one will be.

No need to play the previous iterations?

MMaRsu

Banned
Cerepol said:

Hitman Blood Money, aka one of the best games ever.

Cerepol said:

Not really no. I would start off with BM and if you really enjoy it you can go back to previous ones like Hitman 2. That one is actually still very playable as well, although it has some control issues.

cackhyena

Rodney McKay said:
Not if he wears a hat and uses a Sharpie on his eyebrows. MASTER OF DISGUISE!

Doesn't it break the immersion in Splinter Cell when Sam Fisher is in the dark, but has 3 glowing lights showing enemies where his head is?
Yes it does, and I've always hated it. Still, Chaos theory remains my favorite stealth game, bar none.

Yeah, I might give BM a shot one day.

Interfectum

cackhyena said:
Yes it does, and I've always hated it. Still, Chaos theory remains my favorite stealth game, bar none.

Yeah, I might give BM a shot one day.

I love Chaos Theory too. You should really give Blood Money a shot... it's quite unlike any game you've ever played.

Aaron

Cerepol said:
All but the first are worth playing, but the story ties are really weak, to the point you don't need to worry about playing them in any particular order.

plc268

Interfectum said:
Some quotes from the lead designer of Hitman 5 on previous Hitman games:

/wrists

Oh boy... What made Blood Money a great game was the fact that each level was it's own mini sandbox, and that you had multiple ways to finish a mission. ANY attempt at making Hitman even the slightest bit linear is completely missing the point.

If you're new to the series, you should be a bit confused and overwhelmed in a new level. That's what made Blood Money... the fact that I could spend hours on one level trying new tactics over and over.

I hope I'm wrong, but nothing I've seen instills any confidence that they're heading in the right direction.

MMaRsu

Banned
Aaron said:
All but the first are worth playing, but the story ties are really weak, to the point you don't need to worry about playing them in any particular order.

Which is a good thing.

cackhyena said:
47 has eyebrows.
28m1oom.jpg

And his appearance was always part of the campy humor.

I'm not a teenager who needs to be immersed into a game by playing a grumpy, growling marine or serious mercenary to compensate my own insecurities.

And yes, using costumes is an integral part in some of the missions.

Cerepol said:
I would say the earlier games to Blood Money is an actual good example of 'streamlining', where they genuinely refined and improved the gameplay instead of just removing things and simplifying.

cackhyena

Ahoi-Brause said:
47 has eyebrows.

I'm not a teenager who needs to be immersed into a game by playing a grumpy, growling marine or serious mercenary to compensate my own insecurities.
You really, really need to take it down a notch, guy. Seriously.

Hanmik

Game sounds great.. Why is there a reason for troll threads like this..? It seems like people think they are cool if they "dare" to bitch ( neogaf style ) about a game.. Especially months/years before the game hits the stores..
Damn I miss the days where people loved to play games .. Not bitch about them (even before they play it).

MMaRsu

Banned
"You never really learn how to play them... you’re never taught how to do things, and you’re just dropped into this world. Someone playing it will think ‘shit, what have I got to do, my target is over there and I have no idea how to get there’ and they just get killed a million times."
"We have paced the game a little bit more than previous games. In Blood Money, we felt it was one huge mission, then another huge mission, then another huge mission… and you always start outside and probe your way in. It got a little repetitive at the end."

Honestly, these quotes are pretty disgusting.

Hanmik said:
Game sounds great.. Why is there a reason for troll threads oike this..? It seems like people think they are cool if they "dare" to bitch ( neogaf style ) about a game.. Especially months/years before the game hits the stores..
Damn I miss the days where people loved to play games .. Not bitch about them (even before they play it).

Uhm this isn't a troll thread. Have you played any of the previous Hitman games? Probably not because otherwise you would probably see the massive fail in direction this game is taking.

Sounds to me like you haven't even read the thread and therefore have no idea what we ( hitman fans ) are even complaining about.

Untracked

Cerepol said:
Not really IMO. Blood Money is the best by far, just don't give up during the Tutorial level, which is totally linear.
Shame IO used that level as the Blood Money Demo. I appreciate you have to teach players everything, but it was really dull and put many of my friends off buying the full game. No freedom at all there. A Vintage Year with a few tutorial prompts would have worked much better I think.

cackhyena said:
You really, really need to take it down a notch, guy. Seriously.
Wat? Are you implying we don't have that HUGE increase in growly marine characters because of a generation of massively insecure teenage gamers who need to compensate with something.
Also I don't think you're in any position to tell me what to think.

Hanmik

MMaRsu said:
Honestly, these quotes are pretty disgusting.

Uhm this isn't a troll thread. Have you played any of the previous Hitman games? Probably not because otherwise you would probably see the massive fail in direction this game is taking.

Sounds to me like you haven't even read the thread and therefore have no idea what we ( hitman fans ) are even complaining about.

I'm from Denmark.. Off course I have played the games..

cackhyena

Ahoi-Brause said:
Wat? Are you implying we don't have that HUGE increase in growly marine characters because of a generation of massively insecure teenage gamers who need to compensate with something.
I'm saying what's the fucking purpose of pointing that out, period. Immersion in these types of games isn't anything to scoff at. You want hiding in plain sight mechanics, but you compare immersion ( or my question about it ) to growly marines? What?

cackhyena said:
I'm downloading the demo from Steam right now.
Blood Money demo sucks.
It's basically the "streamlined approach" they're going for with Abomination.

cackhyena said:
I'm saying what's the fucking purpose of pointing that out, period. Immersion in these types of games isn't anything to scoff at. You want hiding in plain sight mechanics, but you compare immersion ( or my question about it ) to growly marines? What?

Because you asked a question about immersion you recieved an answer about immersion.
Seriously.

Ahoi-Brause said:
Also I don't think you're in any position to tell me what to think.

Correlation =/= causation

cackhyena

That wasn't an answer. It was some retarded rant that made no sense. You know, immersion, in this case, having to do with how believable the scenario is that he can do this stuff in plain sight. Nothing to do with teens trying to identify with manly men.

Karkador

Banned
I always considered Hitman to be a stealth series. Sure, it has way more of an emphasis on interacting with your environment to complete the objectives. It's not just sneaking up on dudes and snapping their necks. I always really liked its sandbox approach. But the bottom line of that game is that you do things in a stealthy manner, even if you're hiding in plain sight.

Anyway, I have very little faith for Modern Videogaming to reproduce any of its former genius. If they get it; great. If they mess it up; oh well...no surprise here.

MMaRsu

Banned
Hanmik said:
I'm from Denmark.. Off course I have played the games..

Then if you have read comments from IO about previous Hitman games and what they are doing with this new game you can see why we are complaining. Complaining about it when the game is instores won't do any good.

Maybe complaining now won't do any good either, but at least we can let them know we aren't happy with most of these changes.

MMaRsu

Banned
cackhyena said:
I'm downloading the demo from Steam right now.

The demo is really bad ( very linear, shows you zero about how much you have to do in the next level ).

It's even a bad tutorial you could say?

cackhyena said:
That wasn't an answer. It was some retarded rant that made no sense. You know, immersion, in this case, having to do with how believable the scenario is that he can do this stuff in plain sight. Nothing to do with teens trying to identify with manly men.

Don't pay Ahoi too much mind. I agree with him on some stuff, but I'll say he goes overboard into taking things too far.

cackhyena

Is it really that bad? I just want to try out controls and all. Just play around with it.

Oh, guess that answers that. Sucks.

coldvein

Banned
FTH said:
Any female assassination targets was a weird question to ask...

i thought so too.

will there be any infant assassination targets?
any elderly assassination targets?
homosexual assassination targets?

i must know!

MMaRsu

Banned
cackhyena said:
Is it really that bad? I just want to try out controls and all. Just play around with it.

You can try out the controls, even murder a few dudes. But it really is nothing like the rest of the game, where you pretty much have complete freedom how you want to tackle the missions you are presented with.

cackhyena said:
You asked a dumb question just to be smug about it.
That's the same stuff you tried to pull last thread

1rxi1l.png

When you got told you just disappeared. Now you try to start that shit again.
How about you play a hitman game first and then try to discuss stuff? It would make for a far better discussion.

cackhyena

I wasn't being smug with the question. I was genuinely asking. And that last question was before I knew what you meant by it. Having not played the series, I thought you meant taking cover wasn't something needed in the series, or that animations like reloading were non essential. They aren't, but i thought you were a purist just looking to cut the fat out for the hell of it...or something.

My point is you take this shit way too personally. You see a genuine question as an attack. Fucking lighten up.

Yes, the Blood Money demo sucks and it put me off the game for a looong long time, until I read a lot of opinions here on GAF saying it was the best hitman. Gave it a chance and yeah, it's awesome.

The first mission (the demo, basically) sucks and it's boring and too simple. Also, some parts of it are stupid - protip: when they tell you to use your coin to distract the dudes, throw it through that little window to the right instead of opening the door and throwing it as far as you can because, whatever you do, it won't work. You HAVE TO do it through the small window that doesn't really stand out at all (yeah I got stuck there in the demo for a long time, don't judge me).

Interfectum

What's sad is the Blood Money demo is probably more representative of what Absolution is than what the rest of Blood Money is.

cackhyena said:

I played the demo, and to this day I haven't bought the game because of it - completely turned me off.

Ahoi-Brause said:
You asked a dumb question just to be smug about it.
That's the same stuff you tried to pull last thread

1rxi1l.png

When you got told you just disappeared. Now you try to start that shit again.
How about you play a hitman game first and then try to discuss stuff? It would make for a far better discussion.

He didn't really get 'told'.

Why can't 47 hide behind bushes? Is he allergic to plants? Is he scared of the dark?

What an odd thing to say.

MMaRsu

Banned
PaddyOCanager said:
I played the demo, and to this day I haven't bought the game because of it - completely turned me off.

Please buy the game.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:

Why can't 47 hide behind bushes? Is he allergic to plants? Is he scared of the dark?

He meant that if you are playing Hitman the right way, you're mostly never hiding behind any sort of cover.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Guys is Contracts worth playing all the way? I played up to the first remade mission (The asian target, which I actually played in the original Hitman) then stopped playing because I got distracted. Are there many missions after that one? Are they all remakes from the first Hitman?

I played and finished every other Hitman including the first with Silent Assassin in pretty much every mission. I actually loved the first one because you had to buy your weapons and ammo before the mission and I would buy just 1 bullet for the target. It was so much fun I'm actually thinking of replaying the entire series.

cackhyena said:
I wasn't being smug with the question. I was genuinely asking. And that last question was before I knew what you meant by it. Having not played the series, I thought you meant taking cover wasn't something needed in the series, or that animations like reloading were non essential. They aren't, but i thought you were a purist just looking to cut the fat out for the hell of it...or something.

My point is you take this shit way too personally. You see a genuine question as an attack. Fucking lighten up.
Oh! Well I kinda interpreted your question as some sort of snarky irony but if it was genuine then I probably was overreacting.

For your immersion question:

When you play the game you are really immersed most of the time.
There's also a very distinctive campy, black humor to the series, so 47, who is huge, looks like frankenstein and incredibly socially awkward not sticking out like a sore thumb is part of the campy scenario.
The story also isn't the main focus, the really great thing about hitman are the missions and the freedom to tackle your objectives so you'll naturally get immersed into the gameplay but you can still chuckle about the campy writing and dialog.

loganclaws said:
Guys is Contracts worth playing all the way? I played up to the first remade mission (The asian target, which I actually played in the original Hitman) then stopped playing because I got distracted. Are there many missions after that one? Are they all remakes from the first Hitman?

I played and finished every other Hitman including the first with Silent Assassin in pretty much every mission. I actually loved the first one because you had to buy your weapons and ammo before the mission and I would buy just 1 bullet for the target. It was so much fun I'm actually thinking of replaying the entire series.
I didn't really like contracts, except for the beldingford manor mission.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:

Because people later pointed out that hitman was always about hiding in plain sight and shooting shit up or hiding in the shadows.

cackhyena

Ahoi-Brause said:
Oh! Well I kinda interpreted your question as some sort of snarky irony but if it was genuine then I probably was overreacting.

For your immersion question:

When you play the game you are really immersed most of the time.
There's also a very distinctive campy, black humor to the series, so 47, who is huge, looks like frankenstein and incredibly socially awkward not sticking out like a sore thumb is part of the campy scenario.
The story also isn't the main focus, the really great thing about hitman are the missions and the freedom to tackle your objectives so you'll naturally get immersed into the gameplay but you can still chuckle about the campy writing and dialog.

I didn't really like contracts, except for the beldingford manor mission.

That's what i was looking for. Thanks.

MMaRsu said:
He meant that if you are playing Hitman the right way, you're mostly never hiding behind any sort of cover.

Ah, I see. But I have a problem with the assertion that there is a 'right way'. I love that in Blood Money, you can play your own way. You figure out the solution to the puzzle using the tools at hand, but there is not any one way to do it. You can go stealthy, you can be aggressive, you can fuck around with the AI, it's up to you. Hitman represents choice. I don't like being told there's a right way and a wrong way to do things in Hitman. There is no right way or wrong way, there is just your way. Some missions I did stealthy as possible, other times I wanted to go fast and hard. Sure, there are consequences to taking an aggressive approach, but you're not judged or penalized in a negative manner for it. Saying that stealth is the only way to play in Hitman, or the right way, I think that runs counter to what Hitman actually is.

Hell, sometimes I determined my approach based on how douchey a person the target was.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Ah, I see. But I have a problem with the assertion that there is a 'right way'. I love that in Blood Money, you can play your own way. You figure out the solution to the puzzle using the tools at hand, but there is not any one way to do it. You can go stealthy, you can be aggressive, you can fuck around with the AI, it's up to you. Hitman represents choice. I don't like being told there's a right way and a wrong way to do things in Hitman. There is no right way or wrong way, there is just your way. Some missions I did stealthy as possible, other times I wanted to go fast and hard. Sure, there are consequences to taking an aggressive approach, but you're not judged or penalized in a negative manner for it. Saying that stealth is the only way to play in Hitman, or the right way, I think that runs counter to what Hitman actually is.
I think people just want to distinguish between Hitman and a game like Chaos Theory.

Top Bottom