• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Absolution Announced (2012, PS3/360/PC, Teaser) [Update: New Details]

helipilot22

Neo Member
Well if nothing else IO will know how much love there is for the original formula. Lets just keep everything crossed and keep a eye out for sky falling in.

oops double post, was not concentrating on the thread was looking out the window for how close the sky is getting to the top of my house.

Spat_triate

I really don't understand the point of hiring expensive 'actors' to do voice work and mocap. It just seems like a colossal waste of money for something that no one (except marketing departments) cares about.
I could give two fucks about who is doing the mocap as long as it looks good, and Keith Carradine definitely isn't required for good looking mocap.

jonnyp

Spat_triate said:
I really don't understand the point of hiring expensive 'actors' to do voice work and mocap. It just seems like a colossal waste of money for something that no one (except marketing departments) cares about.
I could give two fucks about who is doing the mocap as long as it looks good, and Keith Carradine definitely isn't required for good looking mocap.

If the actors do the mocap themselves with the audio being recorded at the same time the performances will be a lot better as a result - instead of actors dubbing other actors' physical performances later in a sound studio. Surely you understand this also.

The worst part is that IO had layoffs recently and yet they piss away their money with hollywood shit that will get them no extra sales from the fans.
They should've invested that money on the staff and on a great hitman game.

overcast

Too much money spent on actors/mocap. But why does this infor seem to indicate that this will be any different than the old hitman games? Sounds to me like they will stick to the formula, but the plot is a change of pace.

Color me excited.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I don't understand how you take what was written about it and come to the conclusion that it suddenly is gonna turn into a Gears of War clone.

Seriously.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
WrikaWrek said:
I don't understand how you take what was written about it and come to the conclusion that it suddenly is gonna turn into a Gears of War clone.

Seriously.
Current gen trend of making things "accessible" by catering to the lowest denominator + Splinter Cell: Conviction = Paranoia

overcast

WrikaWrek said:

Seriously.
Pretty much. I also don't see why they would turn away from the formula. The teaser had 47 putting a silencer on a pistol, I took that as then telling us the series is back in original form. But we will see.
Edit: Yes splinter cell is not helping at all.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
overcast said:
Pretty much. I also don't see why they would turn away from the formula. The teaser had 47 putting a silencer on a pistol, I took that as then telling us the series is back in original form. But we will see.
Edit: Yes splinter cell is not helping at all.
Basically we all want the sequel to Blood Money that takes the concept and hones it to a mirror shine, and we want it so badly that we're terrified that they're going to go the opposite direction.

overcast

The_Technomancer said:
Basically we all want the sequel to Blood Money that takes the concept and hones it to a mirror shine, and we want it so badly that we're terrified that they're going to go the opposite direction.
I want that too. Even more refined, nice graphics, and plenty of missions. The idea of that makes me way too excited. But I don't really blame people for being worried. It makes sense.

Like I said, I don't see how they have stated they will go in another direction gameplay wise.

MMaRsu

Banned
overcast said:
I want that too. Even more refined, nice graphics, and plenty of missions. The idea of that makes me way too excited. But I don't really blame people for being worried. It makes sense.

Like I said, I don't see how they have stated they will go in another direction gameplay wise.

For one that this supposedly only has missions based in the US is bad enough already.

overcast

MMaRsu said:
For one that this supposedly only has missions based in the US is bad enough already.
Eh, that shouldn't be too much of a concern? They will just spice up the specific environments. They have plenty of spots to pick from.

What are your guys favorite Hitman missions? I love the Hotel level from Contracts and the Christmas party from Blood Money.

overcast said:
Eh, that shouldn't be too much of a concern? They will just spice up the specific environments. They have plenty of spots to pick from.

What are your guys favorite Hitman missions? I love the Hotel level from Contracts and the Christmas party from Blood Money.
Which hotel? The one in france or "traditions of trade"?
Because the hungary mission was better in the first hitman game.
Contracts kinda sucked, if you haven't done so check out the original hitman.

overcast

Ahoi-Brause said:
Contracts kinda sucked.
The one with the bath full of blood in the basement? Memory is a bit hazy, but I remember enjoying the hell out of it with my step brother.

Aon

I can totally get the criticism of the Opera pathing you too much, I guess I just liked how much it deviated from the feeling of needing to isolate people as is the crux of many levels. Suburbia I can totally get down with though, I thought the surveillance van was really well done.

Ahoi-Brause said:
Contracts kinda sucked, if you haven't done so check out the original hitman.

You...actually prefer the original Hitman to Contracts? Unfathomable, going back to the original is so hard, it wasn't even good when it first came out, compared to Hitman 2 and beyond it's just terrible imo.

Anyway...my favorite levels in the series are The Beldingford Manor and Traditions of the Trade (both from Contracts, go figure). Both are so open ended, so many options, just amazing atmosphere. Blood Money has some great levels and additions too, though I'm not sure why it's always the Hitman that everyone puts on pedestal. There are so many things that need fixing/tweaking in Blood Money and the levels were overall pretty boring compared to Contracts. Oooo a Suburb, how inspired! How about a fucked up sex party at a Slaughterhouse where everybody is either high out of their mind on opium or going at it in latex on top of a dead, bloody animal? Not to mention the disgusting waste of life eating whole chickens while having 3 ways with his own personal squad of gun toting harlots, and his psychotic brother who has set up an almost Silent Hill like shrine for dead, mutilated women hanging from the ceiling in the other room? The only thing that really comes close in BM is the heaven and hell rave, which was really cool, but still...just wanted to give Contracts some well deserved kudos.

helipilot22

Neo Member
The_Technomancer said:
Current gen trend of making things "accessible" by catering to the lowest denominator + Splinter Cell: Conviction = Paranoia

Yes we are right to worry. Although I agree the teaser silencer must stand for something.

The one with the glass bottom hot tub.

I loved the manor in Contracts (sneaking through the servants quarters to the secret passage and then taking out the target with a pillow.) Huge level as well. The Opera house and Suburb in Blood Money. The final level in Contracts, I enjoyed having to react initially to a situation (the police raid) before you planned your escape.

Also, the St. Petersburg military bunker in Hitman 2.

helipilot22

Neo Member
Secks4Food said:
You...actually prefer the original Hitman to Contracts? Unfathomable, going back to the original is so hard, it wasn't even good when it first came out, compared to Hitman 2 and beyond it's just terrible imo.

Anyway...my favorite levels in the series are The Beldingford Manor and Traditions of the Trade (both from Contracts, go figure). Both are so open ended, so many options, just amazing atmosphere. Blood Money has some great levels and additions too, though I'm not sure why it's always the Hitman that everyone puts on pedestal. There are so many things that need fixing/tweaking in Blood Money and the levels were overall pretty boring compared to Contracts. Oooo a Suburb, how inspired! How about a fucked up sex party at a Slaughterhouse where everybody is either high out of their mind on opium or going at it in latex on top of a dead, bloody animal? Not to mention the disgusting waste of life eating whole chickens while having 3 ways with his own personal squad of gun toting harlots, and his psychotic brother who has set up an almost Silent Hill like shrine for dead, mutilated women hanging from the ceiling in the other room? The only thing that really comes close in BM is the heaven and hell rave, which was really cool, but still...just wanted to give Contracts some well deserved kudos.

To answer your question as to why some people hold BM as better even than SA is simple, for me at least. It is because I never owned a pc or a ps2 back when SA was released (before then the last "pc" I owned was a zx spectrum +), I saw a mate playing the hitman games on ps2 and had a quick go but at that time I was firmly into Nintendo snes/n64. I must say that even to this day their is only one game on the ps2 I really loved and that was Timesplitters 2.
When I bought a pc and 360 in 05 everything changed and it wasn't until BM had been released for about six months that I bought it. It blew me away, the other title that had similar impact on me was of course Chaos theory on xbox.
now i'm probably far from the minority when it comes to making the leap around 05 time to high resolutions and decent cpu/gpu's, due to the release of the 360. That spurred me on to then buy a half decent tower system.
I bought a copy of Contracts a couple of years back so I could get more hitman fix, I tracked down a second hand copy from cash generator for £4.00 on xbox, back compatible with my 360, and didn't enjoy it even half as much as BM. This in part because I feel that even though gameplay is more important than graphics, the step back in visuals and a couple of mechanics was enough for me to hold BM as the best to date.

Majora

Does it really matter if the game is set entirely in the US. Weren't most of the missions in Blood Money US based anyway? I can't remember exactly but the Opera House and Wine House are the only two I remember being outside the US, and the Opera House could just as well have been in America for all the difference it made.

Radogol

Ahoi-Brause said:
The worst part is that IO had layoffs recently and yet they piss away their money with hollywood shit that will get them no extra sales from the fans.

How does that make sense? What extra sales? Will you buy eight copies if you really like the game, five if it's only so-so and two if it's bad? To get extra sales, they need to lure in new audience.

I'm not defending the direction they seem to be taking the franchise into, just pointing out the fallacy in your statement.

helipilot22

Neo Member
Radogol said:
How does that make sense? What extra sales? Will you buy eight copies if you really like the game, five if it's only so-so and two if it's bad? To get extra sales, they need to lure in new audience.

I'm not defending the direction they seem to be taking the franchise into, just pointing out the fallacy in your statement.[/QUOTE

Lets all blame Infinity Ward, whats left of em, and have done with it.

overcast said:
The one with the bath full of blood in the basement? Memory is a bit hazy, but I remember enjoying the hell out of it with my step brother.
Yeah, that's traditions of trade! Be sure to play the original version in the first hitman game.
It's a bit more non-linear with more options and paths.

Radogol said:

I'm not defending the direction they seem to be taking the franchise into, just pointing out the fallacy in your statement.

Well if they dumb it down they pretty much lost my buy.
Go figure.

Secks4Food said:
You...actually prefer the original Hitman to Contracts?
Yeah, the atmosphere is much nicer and cleaner. Contracts was too goofy and grimdark for me.
Also the missions in the original are (except for the rotterdam mission) a lot less linear.
And I'm nostalgic for the original already.

Radogol

Ahoi-Brause said:
Well if they dumb it down they pretty much lost my buy.

But that's a lost sale, not an extra sale ;)

Ahoi-Brause said:
Yeah, that's traditions of trade! Be sure to play the original version in the first hitman game.
It's a bit more non-linear with more options and paths.

Best mission in the game, I think, and one of the best in the franchise. They were definitely still finding their voice in Hitman 1, which included shoot-em up levels set in the jungle (imagine if they tried to do that now), boss helicopters and stupid shit like that, but Traditions of the Trade was everything I ever wanted out of a game about a hitman and I'm glad that style of gameplay was dominant in Blood Money.

MMaRsu

Banned
Radogol said:

Well if they dumb it down I certainly won't buy it.

Radogol said:
But that's a lost sale, not an extra sale ;)

Best mission in the game, I think, and one of the best in the franchise. They were definitely still finding their voice in Hitman 1, which included shoot-em up levels set in the jungle (imagine if they tried to do that now), boss helicopters and stupid shit like that, but Traditions of the Trade was everything I ever wanted out of a game about a hitman and I'm glad that style of gameplay was dominant in Blood Money.

Yeah I was just thinking about that jungle shoot em up level, man that one was so bad.

Radogol said:
The funniest part is that traditions of trade apparently was rushed.
If you mess arround with the game's files you'll see that there is lots of other conversations with mr wulf that weren't even voiced and were used for a few more alternate paths.
And yet it's one of the best levels in gaming history.
That's why I found the contracts version so lame, they even took out some of the paths from the original.

Soda

THIS ENTIRE POST IS A SPOILER TO HITMAN: BLOOD MONEY

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I got a feeling that the ending of Blood Money is going to lead directly into Hitman Absolution. I just replayed the last few missions in Blood Money and here is a recap of what happens:

1. You kill the vice president and rival assassin
2. Diana injects you with either:
a) a sedative
b) poison, but not enough (see why below)

Following the final mission Amendment XXV, Diana comes to your hideout and injects you with one of the following above. She informs you that the compound is surrounded, but it appears that she has already decided what is about to happen is the best course of action as she hands you a file containing an escape plan. There is no reason to believe that Diana had it out for 47, so I'm going to have to believe that she injected him with sedative expecting him to revive himself during Requiem, waste all those fools including the dude in the wheel chair and ultimately come out alive.

The final cut scene is 47 in a Chinese establishment that implies it offers gray/black market/prostitution/ or anything the law would not approve of. 47 asks to see whats in "the back" all while holding his signature brief case (it doesn't hold office supplies).

My prediction:

47 is not aware that Diana was trying to save his life, but now Diana has a new position working with the British Government (assumption from her last cut scene referring to someone has his 'majesty') and 47 is out seeking revenge. During Absolution (probably midpoint) 47 will realize he is part of a much larger operation that exceeds both him and Diana.

Absolution is defined as

noun
act of absolving; a freeing from blame or guilt; release from consequences, obligations, or penalties. (Dictionary.com)

In this final installment of the Hitman series, I believe that we will discover hidden secrets about Agent 47's origin and his ultimate (and very human) obligation to prevent its continual growth.

Note: I have NO sources at IO nor do I have any real reason to believe any of what I said will actually happen other than my own imagination.

MMaRsu

Banned
Nrlwf.png

hitman1a.jpg

hitman2.jpg

Screens of a teaser or trailer perhaps? The way 47 is jumping out a window reminds me of the last movie -_-.

Looks gritty and dark and lame.

Soda said:
47 is not aware that Diana was trying to save his life, but now Diana has a new position working with the British Government (assumption from her last cut scene referring to someone has his 'majesty') and 47 is out seeking revenge. During Absolution (probably midpoint) 47 will realize he is part of a much larger operation that exceeds both him and Diana.

She was probably chatting with a client of the new "Agency". Plenty of royal families in the world, especially in places like the Middle East, where absolute monarchies still exist. I don't see the Queen or Prince Charles hiring a Hitman, although Mohamed Al Fayed thinks otherwise lol.

Soda

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
She was probably chatting with a client of the new "Agency". Plenty of royal families in the world, especially in places like the Middle East, where absolute monarchies still exist. I don't see the Queen or Prince Charles hiring a Hitman, although Mohamed Al Fayed thinks otherwise lol.

That's a great point. I guess I just assumed British since Diana speaks with a British accent haha.

JambiBum

MMaRsu said:
screens
Screens of a teaser or trailer perhaps? The way 47 is jumping out a window reminds me of the last movie -_-.

Looks gritty and dark and lame.

I honestly don't understand how you can say those things from three screens from a trailer/whatever when one of them is just a shot of 47 in his suit which is what everyone wanted to see. I understand not being overly optimistic until we see something real but you are incredibly negative on almost every bit of info that has come out so far. For no reason. Hell the official teaser they released was set in the mood and tone of the old games.

Soda

D4Danger said:
it looks like concept art

Yeah it probably is. Seriously wtf is that shit though, 47 jumping off a roof like Batman with his shirt UNTUCKED! gtfo.

edit: and those better not be sketchers he's wearing.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Soda said:
Yeah it probably is. Seriously wtf is that shit though, 47 jumping off a roof like Batman with his shirt UNTUCKED! gtfo.

edit: and those better not be sketchers he's wearing.

I hope to see some I, Robot style product placement

BkHsd.png

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The first image looks like it could be in-game, and the second does look either CGI or concept art.

And God, what happened to 47's elegant style.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Jay-B said:
The tie and shirt he wore in BM were much better. No buy.

Not buying a game because he's using a different attire than the other games?!

Isn't that a bit ridiculous?

MMaRsu

Banned
JambiBum said:
I honestly don't understand how you can say those things from three screens from a trailer/whatever when one of them is just a shot of 47 in his suit which is what everyone wanted to see. I understand not being overly optimistic until we see something real but you are incredibly negative on almost every bit of info that has come out so far. For no reason. Hell the official teaser they released was set in the mood and tone of the old games.

The teaser is great, and so is that first pic I posted :).

Top Bottom