• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

I'm just waiting for the complaints about the weapon select system not being a separate, clunky rotating interface; it ain't Hitman without it.

50 levels? Sure buddy :lol

Yeah that 50 levels comment is complete bull. A lot of the levels are broken off into section. For example the Terminus Hotel. You start and have to make you way to an elevator - Section 1. You are now on the upper floors of the hotel and have to make your way to a door - Section 2. Then there is a small portion where you have to walk about 5 feet to see a cutscene - Section 3.

This to him means that there are 3 levels. I don't think so.

Derrick01

Banned
Sub-level, whatever.

You clearly haven't watched the Streets of Hope walkthrough.

Gosh, why do I even bother to reply.

I'm just trying to point out the bullshit. If you really believe there are 50 levels or even sub levels then I've got a gold turd to sell you. From everything that's been reported there are about 18-20 missions and they're split up into checkpointed pieces and some have even said sometimes the game won't even let you backtrack. I believe the example used was once you reach the top of the hotel it won't let you go back down.

Interfectum

Are there any missions similar to that of the Opera House in Absolution? I've not read anything that's even remotely similar yet.

I'm just trying to point out the bullshit. If you really believe there are 50 levels or even sub levels then I've got a gold turd to sell you. From everything that's been reported there are about 18-20 missions and they're split up into checkpointed pieces and some have even said sometimes the game won't even let you backtrack. I believe the example used was once you reach the top of the hotel it won't let you go back down.

Sub-level, section, checkpoint, whatever terminology appeals to you. And of course sizes differ. Not every level is the same.

You clearly aren't reading or listening to anything positive or you would have picked up two key things...

Those 54 sub levels are apparently the sandboxes used for Contracts mode, so tell me why they would allow you to make a contract in a stage that is 10 feet long (stated by the developers in a walkthrough)? And the main reason for the smaller arenas with no back tracking is because of technology issues with streaming (again stated by the developers in the walkthrough) rather than based on an arbitrary streamlining fantasy.

Your negativity is astounding.

You clearly aren't reading or listening to anything positive or you would have picked up two key things...

Those 54 sub levels are apparently the sandboxes used for Contracts mode, so tell me why they would allow you to make a contract in a stage that is 10 feet long (stated by the developers in a walkthrough)? And the main reason for the smaller arenas with no back tracking is because of technology issues with streaming (again stated by the developers in the walkthrough) rather than based on an arbitrary streamlining fantasy.

Your negativity is astounding.

He believes they're outright lying to us. Toxic negativity. And there's times when I agree with Derrick but he is stirring the pot right now and it's slightly annoying.

DukeBobby

Sure there is. From what I've seen, many of these sub-levels are as pretty huge, and none of them simply involve walking down a straight corridor to reach the next door. Many of them are about 15-20 minutes long, which could easily be defined as a 'level.'

None of them are 10 feet long corridors. That was a totally ridiculous statement you made.

Foffy

Banned
Walking 10 feet to a door that leads to another room isn't a level.

Haven't you gone on record saying you've barely seen footage of the game? Where in the world did you get the idea that you only have 10 feet between you and the next chunk of the level outside of the tutorial stage in one section?

Derrick01

Banned
The guy wants to hate the game. Just ignore him.

That's a pretty big fallacy right there. Yeah I want to hate the next game in one of my favorite franchises.

You guys are also really hanging on to the 10 feet thing literally. It's pretty clear that it's an exaggeration meaning very tiny areas don't count as levels.

That's a pretty big fallacy right there. Yeah I want to hate the next game in one of my favorite franchises.

Well, you do seem to be clinging to any negativity you can find whilst dismissing positive impressions.

And didn't PSM3 say that while levels are smaller, they are much more dense in terms of content ? That sounds like a change that could pan out positive.

You're the one who ignores any positive coverage (from both news outlets and players themselves), takes one bad review, and uses that to slam the game and claim its the worst thing to grace the gaming industry since its inception. Your use of hyperbole is tiring, and the fact that you say all this shit without having even played the game is laughable. When it comes out, play it all the way through. At least then you'd actually have first hand knowledge of the game, rather than having to rely on other people's opinions to help you come up with bullshit to spew.

Personally, I'm reserving judgment until I actually have the game, and have played through it. Unlike some people, I'm capable of thinking for myself.

Derrick01

Banned
You're the one who ignores any positive coverage (from both news outlets and players themselves), takes one bad review, and uses that to slam the game and claim its the worst thing to grace the gaming industry since its inception. Your use of hyperbole is tiring, and the fact that you say all this shit without having even played the game is laughable. When it comes out, play it all the way through. At least then you'd actually have first hand knowledge of the game, rather than having to rely on other people's opinions to help you come up with bullshit to spew.

Personally, I'm reserving judgment until I actually have the game, and have played through it. Unlike some people, I'm capable of thinking for myself.

Are you? If you were then you'd be able to have a good idea already if you want to play it or not, instead of rushing out to give them money for a game you're not sure if you'll like or not.

Just found this on HitmanForums, interesting and making me optimistic again!

Will spoiler although it's only referring to achievement lists:

From looking at the achievement list, it looks like 11/20 levels are definitely assassination missions. I'm not counting a Personal Contract because the assassination is scripted. There could be more levels with targets, but there's definitely at least 11 assassination missions.

http://www.hitmanforum.com/index.php/topic/56808-official-review-thread-for-hitman-absolution/page__st__960

justjim89

From looking at the achievement list, it looks like 11/20 levels are definitely assassination missions. I'm not counting a Personal Contract because the assassination is scripted. There could be more levels with targets, but there's definitely at least 11 assassination missions.

http://www.hitmanforum.com/index.php/topic/56808-official-review-thread-for-hitman-absolution/page__st__960

Well that's more encouraging. Now back to the pointless and irrational fear that my laptop won't be able to run this.

Are you? If you were then you'd be able to have a good idea already if you want to play it or not, instead of rushing out to give them money for a game you're not sure if you'll like or not.

I said I'm reserving judgment. For someone who's played through each of the games, what I've seen of Absolution looks great (The early footage didn't look so hot, but the stuff they've shown recently has been much better). So I have a good idea of whether or not I want to play it. I'll wait until I've finished it before casting judgment, something you're incapable of doing.

Uh, Blood Money had unlimited saves only on Rookie difficulty. Even on normal saves were limited to 7. Expert had a limit of 3. Professional did not allow you to save.

They were save anywhere, but because the saves were limited that's totally fine.

All the checkpoints in Absolution are activated manually. What's the problem with not activating any checkpoint at all? This is like saying that people who played earlier XCOM without save/load aka Ironman did it wrongly, because the option was not there coded from the start.

It's kinda sad that people are having to scour the internet for fragments of info to rekindle any sort of positivity. Do we really need an achievement list to prove there will be more than one assassination?

I remember a feature a while back that showed the developer's top 5 accidental deaths. I mean, surely some of these are for use on targets right?

Let's also not forget these didn't even exist prior to BM, despite the revisionists doing their best to imply otherwise.

jimi_dini

The 11/20 is bullshit.

Trophies are here *SPOILERS*:

http://www.yourgamercards.net/games/view/1632-hitman-absolution

I count 8 trophies that contain "assassinate xxx" and one of those is for the tutorial mission. tutorial mission end spoiler (no character mentioned in my spoiler):
and at least this one IS a cutscene, you do nothing
. Which means 7 SEVEN assassinations in the whole game.

Wait, I additionally read something like "defeat" a few times (2 or 3). Which probably means no assassination, but some sort of boss fight. I guess the poster on hitmanforums just counted all together, which doesn't make sense.

It's interesting to see how misinformation has been spread about this

A lot of it sounds like damage control to me. It's not just the PCG review. EVERY review mentioned all sorts of stuff. The PCG review rated according to the series.

It's interesting to see how misinformation has been spread about this, with the checkpoint issues and extent of linearity seemingly having been blown out if proportion and taken for fact. The fact is, I think we need to wait until we can play this ourselves to know for certain.

It's interesting to see how misinformation has been spread about this, with the checkpoint issues and extent of linearity seemingly having been blown out if proportion and taken for fact. The fact is, I think we need to wait until we can play this ourselves to know for certain.

Yeah. I think someone on GAF said that they've got a copy already?

Would be nice for them to share some impressions.

Derrick01

Banned
I said I'm reserving judgment. For someone who's played through each of the games, what I've seen of Absolution looks great (The early footage didn't look so hot, but the stuff they've shown recently has been much better). So I have a good idea of whether or not I want to play it. I'll wait until I've finished it before casting judgment, something you're incapable of doing.

You sound like one of those mythical undecided voters 2 days before the election when there are mountains of information available.

Interfectum

I plan on creating a neogaf section in the OT for impressions from users as we get closer to nov 20. So hopefully the people that get it early will write up some good information for us.

MMaRsu

Banned

It's not just that, like in the previous thread about the reviews jimi_dini posted that the difficulty in this game is probably all out of whack.

I think it's pretty goddamn clear already the game wont even begin to come close to Blood Money or even Silent Assassin.

Sure I have not played it but everything we have seen thus far and with all the information about the game already out there I will say fuck IO and Ill pick this game up second hand in a bargain bin. Until then I will follow this topic and replay Blood Money.

You sound like one of those mythical undecided voters 2 days before the election when there are mountains of information available.

And you sound like one of those nutjobs who makes up his mind about something, and ignores absolutely any evidence that might go against his own opinion. No wait, you sound like someone who can't read properly. I said I'll reserve judgment regarding how good the game itself is until I've played it. I don't really give a shit if a reviewer gives it a 10/10 and says it's the best Hitman game ever, or if another one gives it 1/10 and says it's worse than ET. It's called forming your own opinion.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Comment to PC Gamer review.

I have reviewed this game, although I would like to remain anonymous. I can honestly say that the comments Mr Francis has made about the game are entirely false. Assassinations are NOT cutscenes any more than they are in Blood Money (IE an animation once the 'accident' is set up or whatever is the way it's always been – it's not a cutscene because you're either choosing to stick around and watch – in full control – or you're already making your escape or whatever, NEVER is control taken away from you).

As for checkpoints THEY ONLY EVEN EXIST ON LOW DIFFICULTY. Meaning this reviewer played it through on easy or medium and since he claims to be an experienced Hitman player, he should know that these difficulty levels were not made for him. He has essentially failed to do the job he has been paid to do.

The 'pointless' objectives (open a door) refers to exiting the level once the hit has been complete. YOU HAVE ALWAYS HAD TO EXIT THE LEVEL ONCE THE HIT WAS COMPLETE.

Some of the levels are small, sure, but THERE ARE FIFTY OF THEM.

The AI is fantastic as always. 47 is the catalyst. Mix him with the AI in any way and entertaining (and often unexpected) things happen. Just as they always have, but way, way better than ever before. The story is, admittedly, quite poor, but it's also irrelevant. It ties one playground to the next by a thin thread and that's all that matters.

Do not listen to Tom Francis. He has failed to do his job and speaking as a fellow reviewer, in my opinion deserves to be severely scolded for it, both by the general gaming public, who he has failedf, by the developer and publisher of the game, who he has failed, and by the company he works for, who he has failed. Once you lot get to play the game, you will immediately see how FACTUALLY incorrect this review is. It's chock-full of out and out lies.

Derrick01

Banned
Sorry i'm on my phone. Anyway couldn't get quoted enough if this guy is saying PC Gamer is flat out lying.

We will see... who lies.

I think I'll trust the anonymous guy who says there are 50 levels and that the AI has always been fantastic. Even I wouldn't claim that about Blood Money, or most stealth games as it's one of the biggest flaws of the genre.

I know some of you will try to say that's only picking the flaws out but those bring up credibility issues to me. Maybe it would be different if a name was given so I could look at past work and say he got this and that right or wrong.

i don't think there's been lying, per se, but I think people have gone in with their mind already made up, or with strange expectations. On the one hand, Tom Francis may have gone in already conditioned to dislike the game, but on the other hand, earlier reviews have been too lenient or haven't cared a great deal about the flaws. The contradictory info we've gotten hasn't helped.

derFeef

Eh, random person is not more credible. But I just read in the comments that he did not get to run the PC version more than 15fps? Is this true? How do you review it, then?

I think I'll trust the anonymous guy who says there are 50 levels and that the AI has always been fantastic. Even I wouldn't claim that about Blood Money, or most stealth games as it's one of the biggest flaws of the genre.

I know some of you will try to say that's only picking the flaws out but those bring up credibility issues to me.

The developers are not anonymous and should not suffer 'credibility issues', but there you go again just flat out ignoring whatever doesn't fit your agenda.

Seriously, 58 minutes 25 seconds in, listen...

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/12/joystream-hitman-abolution-with-io-interactives-tore-blystad-a/

Top Bottom