• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Medalion

Banned
Reminds me of the complaint in Ass Creed 3 where you run and hide into a haystack and even if no one saw you dive into it, the guards will immediately see you and attack ya

Ahhh.... fuck that train station level; tried it like 20 times with the suit only before I finally gave up. I haven't tried the level post-patch though, so I wonder if it's easier.

HiiiLife

Redbox'd the game..

What the hell is up with this disguise system? Not fun at all. I wish I had 20/10 vision like every single character in this game cause they can spot me from a mile away, regardless if I have a disguise on or not.

Holding RB all the time to "cover my face" is a bitch to do.

I'm also not feeling this scoring system. In the past games I've always knocked out enemies then assassinated my target and if I recall, I got a decent rating after my mission.

But seeing the negative points pop up when I "pacify" someone in this game just deters me from completing the mission because it feels like I'm playing it wrong.

Those two are the biggest turn offs. The disguise system is just bad. I'd rather have the disguise be "OP" than having to deal with the eagle eyes that every single one of these characters somehow possess.

Redbox'd the game..
Holding RB all the time to "cover my face" is a bitch to do.

Crouch behind random obstacles in the environment, or find something else to break line of sight. Erratic crouching is--for some reason--not seen as suspicious, so use that.
I rarely use the RB unless I need to walk directly in front of someone.

As for the points, yeah, I do wish you could turn that stuff off; if you hide bodies it nullifies the penalty, but still, not a fan of it.

painey

Was really having fun with this game, but after 12 missions it was getting a little boring.. the perfect time to return the rental. I have to say, the characters are the most abysmal writing I have possibly ever seen in videogames.. how can you have such an amazing and polished game, yet the cut scenes are full of b-movie stereotype characters.. shocking. Reminded me of Deus Ex when the team got a different developer to do the boss fights and they completely stuck out vs. the rest of the game

Izick

It's real fun but it needs a bit of polish and a few ideas like the disguise system refined. A few more months and it could have been a contender for game of the year for most places. Also, the story is really weird because the last things I remember about Hitman was it just being a clean cut story about some emotionless dude killing shitty people, but an actual story is really a nice twist on it, and the weird shit only adds to the shittyness of the targets.

Dunkelgrau

Bought it on STEAM for 25 Bucks tonight because a lot of friends of mine said Absolution was their GOTY. I am surprised that a lot of you guys (mostly fans of the old Hitmans?) do not like Absolution very much. I do not like stealth-games at all, but I saw a lot of cut-scenes of Absolution and I really enjoyed them. The setting looks awesome! Probably I will have fun with the game, because I do not like the old Hitmans at all.

On which difficulty should I play the game? What help-systems should I turn off?

Bollocks

Just finished it, great game, I really liked it.
What are the chances that the next Hitman game will feature Victoria?
After the ending dialogue I feel there's no way around it, that was too much of a hint.

Az

Got free rental codes so picked it up. Loved it at the beginning, hated it at the end. Game feels unfinished, especially the last few missions. Like, they were out of time and had to just throw some shit together to end it. Forgot to add, that I loved the visuals.

Happy I didn't throw money at this.

Forkball

I BEAT IT

+A lot of the missions were very creative and had multiple ways to deal with your target. Some are also surprisingly deep. At first, the gun store mission seems like a typical shooting gallery minigame, but if you play around you can find much more. There are some that I definitely want to play around in more.
+There were a lot of really fun disguises and weapons. One small thing I liked is that even the same disguise had different styles. I found myself switching just so I could look cooler.
+ The game has a pretty decent length. It beat the main story in 11 hours, and there's always challenges to unlock and I want to check out "Contracts."
+I kind of liked the changes to the disguise system, it makes you more conscious of where you are and who is around you. I do agree it needs to be less black and white when it comes to detection though.

-While some missions were great, others were really bad. There were way too many "SNEAK PAST THESE DUDES FROM POINT A TO B" missions, especially near the end. Hitman has always had some degree of stealth in it but they kind of went overboard with it.
-The setting was kind of boring. In Blood Money you went to so many different places, but here you are stuck for a huge part of the game in some podunk town.
-The action is actually fun, but it seems too easy at times.

Overall I really enjoyed it, but it definitely has it's flaws. I feel like they wanted to please both Hitman fans and try to entice new people with the action/stealth levels. I would probably recommend Blood Money first for people who are new to Hitman, but Absolution has a lot to offer as well.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips on winning the shooting range competition? I know you don't have to do it but I want to win.

TheDanger

Banned
Is someone else experiencing that challenges don't unlock every time ? In gun shop I did the ultramax challenge and a couple of other things, but the challenges never unlocked.

Any tips on winning the shooting range competition? I know you don't have to do it but I want to win.

steady aim for head shots and activate point shooting when there are multiple targets. It's really easy if you get the sniper rifle, because the time slows down when you do steady aim with it.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Is someone else experiencing that challenges don't unlock every time ? In gun shop I did the ultramax challenge and a couple of other things, but the challenges never unlocked.

steady aim for head shots and activate point shooting when there are multiple targets. It's really easy if you get the sniper rifle, because the time slows down when you do steady aim with it.

I got 501 in the gun competition and it didn't unlock.

Derrick01

Banned
What is the point of a disguise system if it doesn't fool anyone? I can't imagine how bad this was before the patch because it's already horrible.

I need to get somewhere that's trespassing in my suit or the wrong disguise.....people spot me

I go there in the correct outfit and people spot me, albeit a little bit slower than before. What's the fucking point if I have to constantly hide from everyone no matter what outfit I'm wearing?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
What is the point of a disguise system if it doesn't fool anyone? I can't imagine how bad this was before the patch because it's already horrible.

I need to get somewhere that's trespassing in my suit or the wrong disguise.....people spot me

I go there in the correct outfit and people spot me, albeit a little bit slower than before. What's the fucking point if I have to constantly hide from everyone no matter what outfit I'm wearing?

Probably as a way to add tension or to stop it from being too easy, or some shit. It's a pain in the ass.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I bought on Steam sale and it's one of the most impressive games in graphics department I've ever played. It's almost boastful in art like "look how good we are at Zbrush, mwahaha!". I'm not a graphics whore but here I am - standing and staring point blank at some texture. Insane attention to detail in everything, it's so good that I feel literally sick.

Meanwhile it's ok in gameplay department, reminds of me of Deus Ex: HR. It's the first Hitman game I've played.

Anyone know why the price has dropped so dramatically so fast? It was 29 bucks, new, at EB Games. I've don't think I've seen a game of Hitman's caliber drop so low so fast. I thought it sold relatively well?

iNvid02

i liked the game but the visuals were on another level, fucking superb

hma20121228083657719hdjra.png
hma20121228091636609o4kr8.png
hma20121228091920428h0j6b.png
hma20121228092332976d6kkj.png

hma20121228084206332klkht.png
hma201212280913559766vje7.png
hma201212280921343816ikys.png
hma20121228092150248xfk8j.png

hitman15blng.png
hitman3coxyg.png
hitman48vaig.png
hitman546bzr.png

hitman1wrik8.png
hitman2s4eyp.png
hitman3hvfyc.png
hitman4yzfls.png

hma20121125112316558y4osc.png
hma20121124144132679wtqjm.png
hma201211241443515335aofy.png
hma20121124140250878p5bj3.png

Anyone know why the price has dropped so dramatically so fast? It was 29 bucks, new, at EB Games. I've don't think I've seen a game of Hitman's caliber drop so low so fast. I thought it sold relatively well?

I can only assume it hasn't.

I bought this shortly before christmas as it had dropped to £20 (thinking it would be a brief dip that I thought I should take advantage of), but have only really properly started playing it in the last few days after spending most of my holiday playing through Arkham City.

The last bit I played was the train station, and so far I haven't really enjoyed any of it. Largely because I still have no clue of how anything works. When it was announced, I thought the whole instinct system sounded like a good idea - a welcome crutch for people who don't enjoy the blind gameplay of most stealth games, but it seems instead to have been used to make the game harder in perplexing ways.

Which is a shame especially as I've just come from Arkham City - an action game that does (fun) stealth superbly.

Derrick01

Banned
Derrick, after playing it what were your overall impressions of the game?

I posted a thread on gaming side about it a few days ago. I'm currently only on the 9th level and I would sum it up in short:

As a Hitman game- 3/10. I've done 2 traditional Hitman missions in the 8 I've completed, and they weren't even full missions as chinese new year was the 4th or 5th part of a single mission. The other 3-4 parts were all linear crap.

As a normal stealth game- 5/10. It's average and doesn't really do anything to set itself apart or do anything better than most stealth games.

Here's the more detailed post I made when I was about 5 missions in

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506518

rvy

Banned
As a normal stealth game- 5/10. It's average and doesn't really do anything to set itself apart or do anything better than most stealth games.

What other stealth games came out last year except MOTN? I'm happy I get a stealth game in this day and age.

Derrick01

Banned
What other stealth games came out last year except MOTN? I'm happy I get a stealth game in this day and age.

Dishonored too. As far as I'm concerned MoTN is the only real stealth game to come out this gen except for Blood Money which was really early 2006, technically this gen since 1 console was out but whatever. This game really doesn't do stealth better than any of the hybrids that I criticize heavily most of the time. The only times it does is during the normal Hitman levels because you actually get to walk around in the open and be sneaky.

justjim89

I figured I'd bump the thread because The Auzzie Gamer, who has probably the funniest LP of Blood Money, has started his LP of Absolution. Pretty funny playthrough of the tutorial, and he completes it about 99% stealthily while also showing more outrageous ways of handling things.

I was replaying through some levels in the game today. Holy shit, in the Dexter Industries level......
shot the nuke that hangs above the main lobby
too freaking funny.

justjim89

I was replaying through some levels in the game today. Holy shit, in the Dexter Industries level......
too freaking funny.

I keep meaning to replay this to explore some of the nooks and crannies. But it's hard to pick what to delete to make 23GB of space for something I've already but 35 hours into.

Dries

Just bought this game on Steam cause it's 66% off. Not pleased to hear all the complaints about the disguise system though... Can someone explain why it's so flawed? And how has it been patched?

nel e nel

too freaking funny.

Did anyone else
kill all the guards with the whale skeleton over the town model
in Blackwater Park?

I didn't even need to do it as I had already done all the objectives, but damn that was hilarious.

1stStrike

Banned
Ah well, looks like this game is as glitchy as everyone says. I can't even get through the opening cut scene without the audio beginning to pop, followed by out of sync audio in the cut scene that follows. Only game that experiences this issue and all drivers are updated.

$20 down the drain, I guess. The H:A forums are full of a ton of posts of others having issues with the game too.

rvy

Banned
This is the worst support I've seen in a long time. They released two patches and the second one doesn't really solve a lot of what they claimed.

1stStrike

Banned
This is the worst support I've seen in a long time. They released two patches and the second one doesn't really solve a lot of what they claimed.

Their forums are dead too - absolutely no support being given. Just lots of players posting up threads that are going mostly unanswered. This game was discounted on Steam because it was sent to die.

Stet

Banned
It's excruciating that on certain missions it is impossible to receive a Silent Killer rating. It's even more excruciating that to get the highest rating you have to collect "evidence" that never gets explained.

Dries

Played through the tutorial level. First few impressions:

- HOLY FUCK @ the graphics (PC)
- The Hitman vibe is present

ScOULaris

- The Hitman vibe is present

Not for long. Get ready to watch the game almost immediately devolve into linear, Convinction-esque levels with QTE's, cutscene-driven target kills, and wholly uninteresting cutscenes in between each one.

Also, get ready to hate the Instinct/broken disguise system.

Stet

Banned
WHY would I need to get evidence from a god damn library in order to get the highest rating?! What possible evidence could there be in a library! Why am I not killing anyone?! Why does every policeman in the city know each other instantly?!

So, having never played any of the Hitman games before, and because buying a gaming PC turns you into a graphics whore, whether you like it or not, I picked up Absolution for half price, probably because of those graphics, but also I fancied playing a Hitman game, despite the mixed reviews. Playing the first level, so far, so good, get to a checkpoint, experiment a little and get myself killed, respawn, and everything, aside from my disguise, has been reset. Apart from it me being maddening from a gameplay standpoint, and the fact it makes no sense, please tell me there's some kind of mod on the PC that negates this. I was really enjoying it up till that point, it just seems utterly bizarre to make a design choice like this. Any mods out there that address this at all?

It does look all kinds of stunning, mind you.

1stStrike

Banned
So, having never played any of the Hitman games before, and because buying a gaming PC turns you into a graphics whore, whether you like it or not, I picked up Absolution for half price, probably because of those graphics, but also I fancied playing a Hitman game, despite the mixed reviews. Playing the first level, so far, so good, get to a checkpoint, experiment a little and get myself killed, respawn, and everything, aside from my disguise, has been reset. Apart from it me being maddening from a gameplay standpoint, and the fact it makes no sense, please tell me there's some kind of mod on the PC that negates this. I was really enjoying it up till that point, it just seems utterly bizarre to make a design choice like this. Any mods out there that address this at all?

It does look all kinds of stunning, mind you.

Nope. This game is a shit load of fuck. If you want to test out your rig, get Farcry 3 and max it out.

Top Bottom