• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Nope. This game is a shit load of fuck. If you want to test out your rig, get Farcry 3 and max it out.

Disappointing, but the game, so far, is pretty enjoyable; having not played Blood Money, I don't have any meaningful context for Absolution's supposedly inferior gameplay, so it's nowhere near as offensive to me as it would be to series veterans. I'll pick up Blood Money after this, considering it's the better game, but, other than the checkpoint reset, it's a decent game.

Dries

So in "The king of Chinatown", how do people
snipe the target without getting spotted? I always snipe from the drug dealers appartment, cause it seems the obvious choice. But whenever I fire I'm always spotted. All the time! What am I doing wrong?

Raptomex

So I haven't played this since I beat it at release. Is everything patched yet? Did they fix the disguise system? Didn't they say they were going to?

Anybody making contracts on PS3? I just made my first one, and can see myself making more in the future.

I'm thinking I might not have any friends who will ever end up playing this, so I'd be interested in getting some PSN names of people that want to do competitions, play each others levels, etc.

PSN=Samunoske

Dries

So I just played the whole
Terminus Hotel - Train station
sequence and it was fucking amazing. I can see why people detest the linear A to B parts, but I don't. They fit the story and are fun to play. I kind of like the whole cinematic experience IO is aiming for with Absolution. The Blood Money levels felt really disconnected to me, so I'm really digging the focus on story in Absolution. Also, can't wait to see how I can complete above mentioned sequence in different ways.

justjim89

Did they release a new version of that trainer that allowed you to manually adjust detection parameters? That fixed everything for me, but it went to shit as soon as the patch went through.

Hmm its $10 on gmg using the GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS code today. Worth it? I've never really played any Hitman games but do dabble in stealth genre from time to time

velociraptor

Quickly browsed Wiki - I'm amazed IO interactive wasted money on this 'Hollywood' VA cast.

It's no wonder that game budgets are often so bloated.

bndadm

So I picked this up from Amazon and probably won't be playing it fully in another week or two, but can anyone help clear up some confusion I've been seeing online regarding high scores?

I've seen that the first high score you set is what remains displayed - so if I do better or worse, it'll log that on the leaderboards, but not on the in-game tracker. Is that true?

Also, I guess it's safe to say I should quit out after every level and copy my save to USB for backup purposes?

And are the challenges not unlocking still an issue?

Edit: Xbox 360 version

ironcreed

Banned
Started playing this last night. I have to say, other than some stupid AI at times, I am quite liking it. Feels enough like Hitman to me with the various routes to infiltrate, the disguises and various ways to take out targets or ghost. Was also pleasantly surprised to find that I did not need Gold to access Contracts mode, which will give the game quite a bit of life. Got it from Gamefly, but I may end up keeping it. Fun game.

bndadm

Started playing this last night. I have to say, other than some stupid AI at times, I am quite liking it. Feels enough like Hitman to me with the various routes to infiltrate, the disguises and various ways to take out targets or ghost. Was also pleasantly surprised to find that I did not need Gold to access Contracts mode, which will give the game quite a bit of life. Got it from Gamefly, but I may end up keeping it. Fun game.

So you were able to access the Contracts without any type of registration? Excellent. There was a Square-Enix registration key in my game, but I don't know for what. Glad it's not for that.

ironcreed

Banned
So you were able to access the Contracts without any type of registration? Excellent. There was a Square-Enix registration key in my game, but I don't know for what. Glad it's not for that.

There was nothing to register for at all. I don't have Gold and played a couple of contracts just to try it out. Can't wait to make some myself.

ironcreed

Banned
Having played a little further, the disguises feel almost broken. Works decently enough at times, but I am getting recognized way too much for it to be fun or effective. I am ending up in shoot outs more than I want to. Game feels really good on some levels, but it is starting to become hit and miss.

bndadm

Having played a little further, the disguises feel almost broken. Works decently enough at times, but I am getting recognized way too much for it to be fun or effective. I am ending up in shoot outs more than I want to. Game feels really good on some levels, but it is starting to become hit and miss.

Just curious, about how long is it taking you to complete a level? First time through not trying for SA ranking?

I ask because my time has been limited between some other games and I'd like to play this on my lunch break, but these levels feel like they would take more than an hour.

So far I've only completed the tutorial. :(

Peace Tea

What's the least stupid difficulty to begin this game on? I've read about the A.I. & disguise issues. I was looking for the Blood Money Normal equivalent, but the descriptions in this game just.... don't help.

ironcreed

Banned
Just curious, about how long is it taking you to complete a level? First time through not trying for SA ranking?

I ask because my time has been limited between some other games and I'd like to play this on my lunch break, but these levels feel like they would take more than an hour.

So far I've only completed the tutorial. :(

It depends. Some can be done relatively fast, while others press me to take my time. But I would say an average of 15-20 minutes or so. That said, I am only a few hours in at the orphanage, but I am not sure I am even going to finish.

The game just started falling flat for me and the way disguises work with instinct is really a turn off. As I am constantly being noticed too easily and find myself being forced into shootouts when they should not occur. The system just feels kind of broken.

Besides that, I am going to be starting Bioshock Infinite later and don't have time to play something that lost it's appeal so quickly. Back to Gamefly with it.

bndadm

It depends. Some can be done relatively fast, while others press me to take my time. But I would say an average of 15-20 minutes or so. That said, I am only a few hours in at the orphanage, but I am not sure I am even going to finish.

The game just started falling flat for me and the way disguises work with instinct is really a turn off. As I am constantly being noticed too easily and find myself being forced into shootouts when they should not occur. The system just feels kind of broken.

Besides that, I am going to be starting Bioshock Infinite later and don't have time to play something that lost it's appeal so quickly. Back to Gamefly with it.

Thanks for the information. Shame it wasn't able to grab you, but God bless Gamefly.

velociraptor

You have to move quick, particularly when they show their backs to you. Disguises are weird. I feel they aren't particularly effective unless you activate instinct mode. It's possible to complete levels without entering a single shoot out. However, likely you have to distract and kill guards.

Dries

Just chiming in to defend the path IO has taken with Absolution. I love the new direction focusing on story and cinematic experience. Yes, the whole sandbox element may be watered down, but I don't mind. I love the whole atmospheric cinematic experience you get in return. And damn, it's atmospheric as hell. Good stuff.

Dries

So we all know some levels have different phases. If I want to improve my scores for the leaderboards, do I have to play all phases in one sitting?

Also: looking for Steam friends to compare scores to. Let's hear 'em, GAF.

Just started playing Contracts mode. It's kind of cool if a bit limited. None of my friends play this game and I was wondering if anyone who created a Contract would be willing to send me a friend request so I can get the achievement for playing a friend's on 360. GT is CoopaTroopaSoup and it would be very appreciated.

Tizoc

So could someone clear up something about this disguise glitch? What is it exactly?
What I understand is playing on Hard in the digital version has it that enemies will discover you despite whatever disguise you're wearing.

Dries

Omg, how is it possible to collect the
three fuses
in the
Orphanage
without getting spotted? Christ, it's just impossible!

three fuses
in the
Orphanage

Kill. Everyone.

I seriously think this is the only way to complete that mission. There are just simply too many guys patrolling to get around without being seen. That mission was a huge bummer.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
three fuses
in the
Orphanage

It's possible since I've done it many times. From what I can remember I did it in the reverse order of getting 3rd fuse, 2nd fuse, 1st fuse.

You have to be good with the timings so from the beginning you need to know where to go. Pull up out of the elevator and go in the first room on your right and down the stairs for the 3rd fuse.

Then to the right where there is the largest group along to the other stairs. Crawl under the space and along the units until the final bit and get the 2nd fuse then backtrack to the stairs you were at and go up them for the 1st fuse. Once done backtrack to the 3rd fuse was and carry on straight to place them. I'm playing through the game again so I can whip up a video if needed.

Anson225

three fuses
in the
Orphanage

the first one is not hard.
the one in the medicine room requires precise timing and you gotta know the patrol pattern (there's a vent right below the stairway that makes this easier)
the third one I kinda cheated and spam a lot of instinct to not get spotted...

took me god knows how long to not get spotted for that level

Kill. Everyone.

I seriously think this is the only way to complete that mission. There are just simply too many guys patrolling to get around without being seen. That mission was a huge bummer.
I did it with not killing anyone on purist. It's really hard and requires a lot of experimenting, but it's possible. I kinda liked the mission for that.

Dries

So I've finally managed to complete the level without getting spotted on Hard. Thanks to blending in with the hide function and blending in via Instinct, otherwise this could never have been done.

So I've finally managed to complete the level without getting spotted on Hard. Thanks to blending in with the hide function and blending in via Instinct, otherwise this could never have been done.

Oh, right. Instinct. Totally forgot that was even in the game.

I kept trying to play Absolution like Blood Money the whole time.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Boy am I glad I only payed $20 for this. Should take more time to think about the game and digest it some more, but damn, it wasn't all that great. Not bad (felt awful for a Hitman game), but really not that good.

Quickly browsed Wiki - I'm amazed IO interactive wasted money on this 'Hollywood' VA cast.

It's no wonder that game budgets are often so bloated.

I did this last night. The voice acting was great. Too bad it was wasted on fucking awful characters that nobody cares about. There are two characters in this game that matter: 47 and Diana. Nobody else.

No, not even the child they put into the game to make it SO EMOTIONAL.

this piece of shit game keeps crashing my PS3. any solution to that? i know there was a patch to fix a freezing/save destroying issue in the past. other games work fine, as always.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Working on the last achievement I've got left (Absolution - Play through on Professional). Gotta say I'm glad I did because going for the 100 Challenge achievement was a blast. This game is a LOT more fun when you work towards those challenges instead of focusing straight on the target of a mission. Considering how fun that was in Blood Money, I should have done that from the start. (Tip for new players: Start on Normal. The hints help open up the levels by cluing you into all the different assassination methods)

Didn't enjoy it as much as I did Blood Money but I do have a much better impression of the game overall after doing some challenges. One of my biggest complaints is the new disguise system which feels like it's built around Instinct. Instinct itself isn't really all that bad, it's similar to the map systems of the previous games (although I do think I like the map system more. Being able to see the layout and plan things from there was fun). It's the "blend in" Instinct ability that I dislike.

Disguises in the previous games would grant you access to different parts of the level but you still had to kind of act like whatever role that outfit was for (such as carrying around the same type of weapon that guard was using). IO had a good idea going with the disguise system; it does make sense that guards are still going to be suspicious of you even though you're walking around in a guard outfit. Despite that it comes off as feeling like Instinct is forced down your throat because of how quickly people get suspicious of you despite your disguise. The whole follow you until you Fake Surrender/Hide thing was a nice addition though.

The new additions to weapon customization are great. Would like to see even more in the next game. Weapon sounds are top notch too, ESPECIALLY the sniper rifles. Don't think I've ever had as much fun using a sniper rifle as I have in Absolution. Contracts was also a neat addition to the game. There's some really neat stuff out there that shows you fun ways to play through a level that aren't shown to you by the game itself.

It would be nice to see IO find a balance between Blood Money and Absolution. Blood Money levels were a lot more interesting and felt like there was a lot more creative freedom in how you go on about the mission.

---
The absolute biggest complaint I have though is about the music. IO completely dropped the ball here. Fire up Contracts or Blood Money and start on the Silent Assassin path of a mission. Seriously: LISTEN TO THIS. AND THIS. You are death given flesh. The world is burning around you and not a single soul has a clue you are the cause of it all. You were never even there.

There is no substitute for Jesper Kyd.

The OP needs to update the images not that they've died.

I've put over 50 hours into this game and forgotten about one aspect and ask because I'm currently playing Blood Money. How did it handle deaths again? The slow motion, last stand and bullet hole ridden death scenes in Blood Money are exceptional and made failure fun.

Not going to go into Absolution itself as I've done so elsewhere, enjoyed it despite the faults. Shame there's no dlc for the game. The ending had so much potential, although I suppose that's for the next game.

RevDM

Banned
If anyone has noticed, Hitman FB page has been showing clips of favorite moments in Blood Money. I guess I/O isn't even trying anymore.

Dries

Yeah, the whole
Dexter's Industries
level was fucking awesome. How did I sneak in? Disguised myself as the
arms dealer.
Also, the graphics on PC don't cease to amaze me. It's incredible.

Interfectum

Yeah, the whole
Dexter's Industries
level was fucking awesome. How did I sneak in? Disguised myself as the
arms dealer.
Also, the graphics on PC don't cease to amaze me. It's incredible.

Yeah the game on PC really does look gorgeous.

OK so thanks to ps+ I have now played, finished and plat'd HMA.
I must say while I can see where most of the critisism comes from I really enjoyed the game.
Keep in mind I loved the original Hitman and thought BM was the epitome.

The good:
  • Overall the mechanics all felt nice
  • pure was a challenge and quite exciting at times

the bad:
  • the story, wtf
  • the many linear levels
  • lots of running from the police :/

the ugly:
  • dat train station on pure, hairrippingly infuriating.

I would have been quite happy for them to drop the pretence of a story and just give me (open)level after (open)level with multiple targets to pick of however I please.
The levels of the game that are like that were awesome.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Sorry to bump this... but can anyone explain what the patch does?

I recall hearing that they tweaked some of the mechanics regarding instinct and being spotted.

SJRB

Gold Member
I never finished this so I replayed the first levels of this just now, up until the Vixxen Club. If you completely disconnect the game from its previous iterations and judge it as a standalone title, it's pretty good. Gameplay is solid, stealth mechanics okay and it looks gorgeous. Agent 47 looks like a total badass with his popped collar, and I straight up refuse to wear disguises for this reason. Because fucking no one should play an entire level dressed as a chinese restaurant chef.

The AI is pretty shifty at times, and I hate the saving system. Why they didn't just implement a quicksave system is beyond me.

I never finished this so I replayed the first levels of this just now, up until the Vixxen Club. If you completely disconnect the game from its previous iterations and judge it as a standalone title, it's pretty good. Gameplay is solid, stealth mechanics okay and it looks gorgeous. Agent 47 looks like a total badass with his popped collar, and I straight up refuse to wear disguises for this reason. Because fucking no one should play an entire level dressed as a chinese restaurant chef.

The AI is pretty shifty at times, and I hate the saving system. Why they didn't just implement a quicksave system is beyond me.

Yup, it would have been so much better if they just implemented a quicksave system. I heavily disliked the checkpoint system they did for the game.

Also, that train station section is so much bullshit =\

SJRB

Gold Member
Yup, it would have been so much better if they just implemented a quicksave system. I heavily disliked the checkpoint system they did for the game.

Also, that train station section is so much bullshit =\

Yeah playing the orphanage mission, and now I remember why I stopped playing this game.

Spend 30 minutes sneaking around, get spotted because of AI quirk and the entire mission turns into a third person shooter. No escape, no place to hide. I don't want to restart the entire mission so I just lay waste to the level. Also zero room for experimentation, which is absurd considering how many possible options you're supposed to have. But without quicksave/quickload, there's no way I'm trying those out if it means I can lose 40 minutes of gameplay progress.

Also not a fan of the game punishing me for killing thugs that just shot up an orphanage. I know "silent assassin" and all that, but it's just silly. In fact, the constant scoring on the top corner is super distracting and breaking the immersion and flow of the game. Find a solution to a problem "o god the game doesn't grade it very high, I probably should have done it another way". Not rewarding at all.

Someone over at IO really, really didn't think these gameplay mechanics all the way through.

Top Bottom