• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Absolution Screenshots

Oh, I gonna love this.
I remember Blood Money with love, one of the first games on 360 and still one of the best. Awesome gameplay, awesome settings and awesome ending. A triple A games for sure.
Hope this one is better!

Jb

ZombieFred said:
"it's still a humorous game in many ways, but every location is very, very dense with detail. But since it's a game about exploring with a lot of stealth and slow-paced game play, a lot of things we needed to build locations that are extremal rich in detail to be able to have enough detail for the players to stick around a long time to explore the environments and characters. "

This sounds like Hitman to me and not a "convictioned!" Sounds like they've made it accessible around the difficulties so it's more open up to players to enjoy, while the "hardcore" can play it as it is in the given options that will be (old school hitman difficulty?)
Now that's what I wanted to hear.

derFeef

Munin said:
The interview does not sound good at all. "Less punishing game" "take control more often" "cinematic experience hollywood cast blah blah" "AI based on trying to entertain the player"

I like that part, maybe you did not hear it:
ZombieFred said:
"it's still a humorous game in many ways, but every location is very, very dense with detail. But since it's a game about exploring with a lot of stealth and slow-paced game play, a lot of things we needed to build locations that are extremal rich in detail to be able to have enough detail for the players to stick around a long time to explore the environments and characters. "

This sounds like Hitman to me and not a "convictioned!" Sounds like they've made it accessible around the difficulties so it's more open up to players to enjoy, while the "hardcore" can play it as it is in the given options that will be (old school hitman difficulty?)

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I love how that the AI will change based upon your style of game-play (stealth or action) and how it interacts both in the world and with the character. I see this as the next evolution when this apply over the standard AI behavior in the past games, as it's "theatrical" and more immersed to the player. Now combine this with the highest difficulty and see how challenging this will become, now that you wont be able to "trick" the flaw AI in the past games. I'm going to love this!

ZombieFred said:
I love how that the AI will change based upon your style of game-play (stealth or action
What does that even mean? In the old hitmans you fucked up stealth and you were in a hail of bullets.
That's how it's supposed to be I think.
Why even change that?

Graphics look very good, but the gameplay scenarios in the screenshots have me worried. Cops all over the place, 47 hiding - I don't want this to become some sort of on the run Bourne game.

derFeef

Ahoi-Brause said:
What does that even mean? In the old hitmans you fucked up stealth and you were in a hail of bullets.
Why even change that?
Maybe the AI will be even more aggressive and smarter, try to flank you and stuff like that. That's what I think it means.

derFeef said:
Maybe the AI will be even more aggressive and smarter, try to flank you and stuff like that. That's what I think it means.
But why would you wan to have AI flank you in a hitman game anyways?
It's not like shooting everything up should be part of the game in the first place.

Messi

These screens have apeased me worry slightly, but I agree the scenario in the second does not seem very hitmany.

If the game looks like that, holy shit.

Please dont fuck up the gameplay for the fans IO

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Ahoi-Brause said:
Why even change that?

Well this is more to the "accessibility" for players so instead of dying straight away (because let's be honest, in all previous hitman games, once you're spotted then you're bound to be fucked in the next minute and die thanks to the aggressive nature of the AI and game play not being friendly to giving a more surviving chance) they can go more aggressive and survive further - thinking along the lines of how the Assassin Creed and Metal Gear games operate on the alert stage - giving a more rewarding choice to that kind of player.

To me this gives the games more options. I've always been a stealth player and always went for Silent Assassin (I've 1000/1000 Blood Money via XBOX and done all other games on PC Prior) and loved that because that's what Hitman is to me. But I'm happy to see the "what if" scenarios and how the sandbox will change dramatically because of your actions altering the rest of the AI around you, making you out of your comfort zone and seeing the game's unpredictable nature soon after. I think this is a good evolution to the mechanics and it's always good to see a developer try and do things to make the game further more interesting on the "flaws" of the sandbox.

Even if you're spotted, going from a stealth choice, then the AI will be different than opposed to a player who's more action orientated that makes the AI more aggressive and prone and coordinated to go after the player? That sounds fine by me.
I'll be sticking to stealth and I am sure the difficulty given for this game, there be a mode that's suited for us who want that punishment of the AI, once being detected, royally fucking us over for being caught.

This is a great example on not being able to survive for a long once you're detected We can still have the same experience we had in blood money but there will be option to tweak the AI and game structure to those who are more "aggressive".

MMaRsu

Banned
ZombieFred said:
Could be right there, the fire hose in the first picture would make sense for it to be a possibility. But I wouldn't rule out to be visiting other countries due to how the other Hitman games going across the globe (with most of the levels in some to be set in America after-all)

IO has already confirmed the game only takes place in the US.

This game IS going the way of contracts in being more gritty, and will probably not be as good as BM.

Shots look good though, wtf is he doing in the second screen?

Second screen also has waist high cover for all your third person shootah needs

UGH

Nemesis_

MMaRsu said:
IO has already confirmed the game only takes place in the US.

This game IS going the way of contracts in being more gritty, and will probably not be as good as BM.

Shots look good though, wtf is he doing in the second screen?

Second screen also has waist high cover for all your third person shootah needs

UGH

Aww, that sucks. I kind of want LOTS OF DIFFERENT and EXOTIC locales. To me, they're part of what the series is also about. =(

MMaRsu

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
Aww, that sucks. I kind of want LOTS OF DIFFERENT and EXOTIC locales. To me, they're part of what the series is also about. =(

Same here man, I love traveling around the world doing missions in very different locales.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I am sure the locations set in America will have plenty of unique aesthetics for us to enjoy in this chapter; IO are very good on crafting great environments (big fan of Shanghai from Kane and Lynch 2 here). Although it's a shame we're not going across the globe, I'll still cross my fingers and hope to be surprised for what we got in store :)

derFeef

Ahoi-Brause said:
But why would you wan to have AI flank you in a hitman game anyways?
It's not like shooting everything up should be part of the game in the first place.
Huh? If I mess up, I want the AI to be smart, look after me and mix things up. Who said anything about shooting everything up, besides you?

derFeef said:
Huh? If I mess up, I want the AI to be smart, look after me and mix things up. Who said anything about shooting everything up, besides you?
If you mess up in hitman games you're fucked most of the time in the first place, the AI will look for you and kill you.
So do you want it to turn into a cover shooter when you mess up?
It makes no sense.

derFeef

Ahoi-Brause said:
If you mess up in hitman games you're fucked most of the time in the first place, the AI will look for you and kill you.
So do you want it to turn into a cover shooter when you mess up?
It makes no sense.
I have no idea where you come from really, stop putting words into my mouth. I have never said anything about shooting, it is you that brings that up every time.

derFeef said:
I have no idea where you come from really, stop putting words into my mouth. I have never said anything about shooting, it is you that brings that up every time.
You started talking about smart AI that will come after you and flank you if you mess up.
Have you ever played a hitman game?
It's not like the AI did nothing when you fucked up in hitman games before... the AI was pretty much trying to kill you in every way possible whenever you blew your cover.
Hitman games are not about shooting up stuff anyways. So I don't even know what the point here is anymore.

Kabouter

Ahoi-Brause said:
Looks like contracts... also the enviroment in screen number two screams COVER SHOOTING SYSTEM!
I really doubt it, what would be the point? Besides, cover for shooting could also be cover for sneaking :p.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Ahoi-Brause said:
You started talking about smart AI that will come after you and flank you if you mess up.
It's not like the AI did nothing when you fucked up in hitman games before... the AI was pretty much trying to kill you in every way possible whenever you blew your cover.
Hitman games are not about shooting up stuff anyways. So I don't even know what the point here is anymore.

To be fair, the sandbox in Hitman has been fairly open for players to play as they want, although very limited on the action side of things due to how quick you get killed if detected, and that is just an opinion rather than factual. What's the issue on improving the action side of things to make the game better for those players, while the stealth and exploration side is still going to be 1:1 for players who want to play like before? It doesn't make sense to me to hold back a games quality for one play point perspective. IO are going to keep Hitman as it is but improve those mechanics for players wishing to have a more interesting experience to those who want to use those options.

Kabouter said:
I really doubt it, what would be the point?
Like MMaRsu mentioned the room is full of convenient waist high cover for all your third person shootah needs.
The point is lost on me as well... they got kane and lynch for the action... so why turn hitman into the same thing?

ZombieFred said:
IO are going to keep Hitman as it is but improve those mechanics for players wishing to have a more interesting experience to those who want to use those options.
Do you work for eidos or something?
Because that makes no sense at all?
How does watering down the game make it more interesting?

eshwaaz

Sethos said:
My body is ready.

Oh and they better have that awful ragdoll fixed, that was a complete immersion killer every. single. time.
So true. It's so odd that the original Hitman was a pioneer in ragdoll tech, but then IO did almost nothing to improve upon it in any of the subsequent games.

derFeef

Ahoi-Brause said:
I never said that and never used that in my arguments, you can mess up without shooting as well and if the AI can make things more interesting, then I welcome that. Stealth and exploration seems to be big as it should be, and that is all that counts.

Ahoi-Brause said:
You really love to twist and turn everything to your likings, don't you. What does that have to do with what ZomieFred said? I am baffled here.

eshwaaz said:
So true. It's so odd that the original Hitman was a pioneer in ragdoll tech, but then IO did almost nothing to improve upon it in any of the subsequent games.
The ragdolls in the first hitman blew me away... that was such a leap in quality compared to other games at the time.

derFeef said:
You really love to twist and turn everything to your likings, don't you. What does that have to do with what ZomieFred said? I am baffled here.
Because all the arguments seem to be that hitman always needed flanking and that this somehow always was missing from the games.
Which is not true, even the last mission in the first hitman had AI that would flank you if you didn't hide properly.
My point is that hitman does not need more focus on action, because there was always the option to shoot shit up if you messed up... it just was never the main goal or the focus of the game and I'm worried that they are spending too much time on making the game into a cover shooter, which should not be that much of a deal in hitman in the first place.

Gilgamesh

Ahoi-Brause said:
Expanding gameplay depth to accomodate more alternative styles of play while retaining traditional style =/= watering down.

Dabanton

Hmm just watched that interview since when were Hitman games "punishing" the first game had a few annoyances but the ones after that, have been at the perfect level of play. You just needed to have patience and some forward thinking. I would task my misson a failure if i had to pull my baller out. preferring that 'accidents' happen to my targets instead.

But the good thing was you could approach each misson as you saw fit.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Ahoi-Brause said:

Where did I say about anything being "watering down" when I've explained about improving mechanics that could be much improved to allow a more richer experience to players who wish to use those mechanics than having to stick to a specific play style that might not best fit their preference? You're being rather selfish about this.

Stitch

Gold Member
oh i was just thinking what could be streamlined in a hitman game and now i know what:

less buttons would be nice. seriously, i think every action in hitman needed another button.

ZombieFred said:
Where did I say about anything being "watering down" when I've explained about improving mechanics that could be much improved to allow a more richer experience to players who wish to use those mechanics than having to stick to a specific play style that might not best fit their preference? You're being rather selfish about this.
What makes the whole thing a richer experience when you can play a stealth game as a cover shooter because the originals were apparently too punishing when you fucked up?
That is not selfish... maybe people who don't like stealth should play kane & lynch instead?
The hitman series always offered a wide variety of ways to tackle missions... it's just that playing as rambo in a game about a silent killer makes no sense in the first place.
The selfish thing would be to expect hitman to be a jack of all trades.
Why don't turn tenchu into a cover shooter as well?

I can sort of understand where you are comming from... but why would you want the hitman series to lose it's identity?
Why whine about tetris sticking to a specific play style?

Bl5ty.gif

Those screens look awesome! I have so much hope for this after Blood Money

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Ahoi-Brause said:
What makes the whole thing a richer experience when you can play a stealth game as a cover shooter because the originals were apparently too punishing when you fucked up?
That is not selfish... maybe people who don't like stealth should play kane & lynch instead?

Because Hitman has always been an open sandbox allowing players to complete their objective in any mean necessary, even if they wish to gun hoe, where Kane and Lynch is a direct linear third-person shooter...

The hitman series always offered a wide variety of ways to tackle missions... it's just that playing as rambo in a game about a silent killer makes no sense in the first place.

So I guess the first-person mechanics (even if they're awfully broken) were not to meant to be for "action orientated" purposes to those players who liked that distinct style in the Hitman sandbox?

The selfish thing would be to expect hitman to be a jack of all trades.

Hitman has always been a jack of all trades (like I'm repeating myself, its sandbox nature for how you play the game) in a lot of areas for the game. Tenchu is an entirely different mythos and game series to Hitman. Even if they're both very similar stealth mechanics wise.

I can sort of understand where you are comming from... but why would you want the hitman series to lose it's identity?
Why whine about tetris sticking to a specific play style?

Improving shooting mechanics to those players who wish to be like that is going to ruin its Identify, like how the options presented before (rifles, machines gunes, FPS mode, alert presence, how some of the story set pieces had action orientated moments as an option; gun fight in heaven and hell, Russian Hitman Silent Assassin, Credits of Blood Money, and so fourth? Come on now....

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Ahoi-Brause said:
Ninja tend to carry only a handful of stars and throwing knives. You'd be out of ammo before the second waist high wall.

Top Bottom