• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Season 2 confirmed at PGW

Gamergen interview in french.

Tl;dr:

• Same launcher from Season 1
  • New locations and missions from Season 2 will be added to the base game we already have
  • Unlocks from Season 1 will be available to be used on Season 2 and onwards
  • New free content like Elusive Targets and Escalation Missions will still come to Season 1 maps even after Season 2 has already started
  • Previous cities/countries could be revisited with a new location/mission

I haven't played this game at all, but I'm really impressed with how well the release model worked. Hopefully this serves as an example of how to properly do an episodic (non-adventure/point and click) game.

It incentivizes playing the game as the episodes are released.

ZeroX03

Banned
Woohoo! There were hints this was coming but I'm glad it's confirmed.

That it's using the same launcher and elusives will still be running makes me think that it's coming sooner rather than later. Revisiting old locations sounds like an opportunity for asset reuse to me. Mid 2017 I would hope.

ALSO BE 100% CLEAR WITH WHAT THE SEASON WILL CONTAIN AND WHAT IT WILL COST SE/IO. NO MORE CONFUSING/GOD AWFUL MESSAGING.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Awesome. Give it to me now.

Unless something happens between now and December (maybe Pokémon?), Hitman is my GOTY. It's such a damn fine game.

ZeroX03

Banned
How does this work with the disc release? It included?

Very unlikely, it'll be it's own full price title if the last season is any indication. But as it's the same launcher you'll be able to buy a season pass for the disc release. Each season is effectively a new game.

MaKTaiL

How does this work with the disc release? It included?

Disc Release will feature the base game + all of Season 1. After that you will be able to expand on it with Season 2. When Season 2 is released on disc they will probably either bundle it with Season 1 inside or just add base game (tutorial and Paris) + Season 2 only.

KorrZ

Great news. Hitman is pretty much (aside from the initial confusing messaging) the ideal of what an episodic release should be. It really fits the game/franchise perfectly.

I've loved just getting something new to check in on and play around with every month or so. While I haven't spent as much time on the maps as I should, it's great that the game encourages so much replayability for each location.

Oh man...

giphy.gif

Very unlikely, it'll be it's own full price title if the last season is any indication. But as it's the same launcher you'll be able to buy a season pass for the disc release. Each season is effectively a new game.

Disc Release will feature the base game + all of Season 1. After that you will be able to expand on it with Season 2. When Season 2 is released on disc they will probably either bundle it with Season 1 inside or just add base game (tutorial and Paris) + Season 2 only.

Guess I keep waiting. The disc version being so late I expected a discount or extra content but it seems full price.

harz-marz

How much is the complete season to download?

Edit: £44.99 I see. Think I'll wait till the physical release but I will jump in then!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Fucking awesome. This game is amazing. Maybe my GotY so far. Already spent 60 hours and haven't even touched Hokaido yet

• Same launcher from Season 1
  • Unlocks from Season 1 will be available to be used on Season 2 and onwards

This is something I've been thinking about in regards to doing a season 2 vs. a Hitman 2 (or Rise of the Hitman or whatever a sequel to a quasi reboot gets called). With a sequel there's more imperative to balance the needs of the returning audience with attracting a new audience in both gameplay and narrative structure. Essentially they need an easing in period.

With a season based model that explicitly builds from the preceeding release (as having the same launcher does) they can forgo all that without needing to put across to the audience why they are doing that. The starting point of season 2 can take for granted that the player is up to speed with everything from season 1.

ZeroX03

Banned
Guess I keep waiting. The disc version being so late I expected a discount or extra content but it seems full price.

You're actually missing out on time limited content by waiting, but sure. If you're waiting for a bundle of every season under full price you'll be waiting years.

Hitman has been such a pleasant surprise. IO has completely eradicated all my skepticism towards their seasonal approach. One of the best games of the year.

But please, more and better voice actors for next season please.

Dalibor68

Banned
But please, more and better voice actors for next season please.

Disagree with "better", I love those that are there. But I agree that there should be more voice actors so we can have more variety and especcially more accented ones - I don't need italian guys talking american english.

if they up the budget for voice actors and fix some of the (inherent) jank, hitman would easily be my goty but right now it is in the top 5 for sure.
seriously i would even take heavily accented racial caricatures

Disagree with "better", I love those that are there. But I agree that there should be more voice actors so we can have more variety and especcially more accented ones - I don't need italian guys talking american english.

i keep hearing that one aussie lady voice actor and it just puts me off

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Brilliant news. I'll be there for day one this time. Been a fan of hitman since 2 (tried the demo of 1, but my pc couldn't run it), and I have to say that Hokkaido is easily up there with Shogun Showdown, Bjarkhov bomb, Beldingford manor and traditions of the trade.

IO. If you're reading this, I'd love a mission set in a high security penitentiary.

Pretty much everything I was hoping for.

It's the same content and price as digital version. And it isn't 'late', they couldn't release it before because they didn't have all the episodes done :p, in fact they still have to release one more bonus episode, I suppose it will be on December or January coinciding with the release.

Kalor

It's great that its been confirmed. I think I'll get the season pass this time rather than buy piece meal after the way it was handled for Season 1.

Top Bottom