• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Season 2 confirmed at PGW

I haven't played this game at all, but I'm really impressed with how well the release model worked. Hopefully this serves as an example of how to properly do an episodic (non-adventure/point and click) game.

It incentivizes playing the game as the episodes are released.

Yeah, it worked pretty well in the end. In fact I would say it's the best episodic model I've seen in a game. Why?

-Because precisely, it isn't a narrative based game like Telltale, it's more gameplay focused. Those games actually feel better to play the episodes all together, each episode is too short, linear (so not repayable) to play them separately, and the cliffhangers are annoying more than anything,
-Not only it's Hitman it's gameplay based, but the gameplay and the scenarios are closer to little sandboxes, so of course they are more replayable, they aren't linear FPS or anything like that.
-In fact, this Hitman is more systemic and supports more emergent gameplay than ever, they have made an effort in that regard. Now add all the challenges and mastery system and it's normal to play a mission five times.
-Between episode and episode, we had too elusive targets, new escalation missions and feature contracts, giving more content to play while waiting for the next big release.

ZeroX03

Banned
imma guess "buy it all at once for $X, buy it piecemeal for >$X"

Yeah except with S1 the number of episodes, what piecemeal would cost total and that piecemeal would result in delayed content was never made clear.

We still don't even know the date and price of the final bonus mission for S1. The assumption is $10 and soon but that shouldn't be hidden information.

Hybris

No way in hell I would have spent over 90 hours if this wasn't episodic. IO has made it so the game never becomes stale to me, and to me, that's the strength of this model. Without it, I wouldn't have explored and replayed nearly as much as I did. I'm 100% in on day 1 for season 2.

Despite the always-online bullshit, season 1 is probably my favourite game in the series so far. Mainly because it takes what made the pre-Absolution games great, and brings in new mechanics to keep it up to date. Can't wait for season 2. Hope they don't fuck it up by adding in microtransactions or whatever else some overpaid CEO at Square Enix comes up with.

That's great, great news. I played 109 hours of the first season so I hope they change up a lot of the mechanics to keep it fresh. I was starting to get a little burned out on the game until the latest episode where they switched things up in a meaningful way.

Forkball

Hitman is easily one of the biggest suprrises this year. I liked Blood Money and Absolution, but the episodic structure rubbed me wrong. However, this game proved that it can be done in an interesting way. If it just came out as a single disc, I think people would just play each level once and then immediately move on. That is totally not the way to play it since each level is so intricate that it's impossible to see everything the first go around. Each level is cleverly designed to be played more than once in vastly different ways. Although you may not expect it, this game is perfect to just jump in and goof around, especially with the Contracts feature. I would highly recommend Season 1 to anyone and if Season 2 is only half as good, I am still going to buy it. It's biggest flaw is the "always online" aspect, and I completely understand if people don't buy it because of that.

GeeTeeCee

I think the episodic model really works well for Hitman; I've spent way more time actually learning each level rather than just playing through it once and being done with it forever.

Last time I bought the intro pack and upgraded to the full experience months later, but now I'm confident Season 2 will be good enough to go for the full season straight away. It's genuinely one of the best games I've played this year.

Plasma

Banned
With the way season 1 ends I can't help but think this was the plan all along. Don't get me wrong I really liked it but that game doesn't really wrap up its story by the end.

I didn't jump into season one until halfway through (just had to kill Gary Busey.
I didn't kill him :(
) but I'm in day one for the next season.

It's been said countless times but the slow rollout of locations worked in the game's favour and I can't wait to learn new maps inside out.

With the way season 1 ends I can't help but think this was the plan all along. Don't get me wrong I really liked it but that game doesn't really wrap up its story by the end.

It absolutely was, pre-launch they talked about they didn't want a long development cycle on one release, followed by another long development cycle, which is why they've talked about the game as being like a TV show, with 'seasons' and 'episodes'.

Pretty sure they had some big layoffs at the studio after Absolution though and the release model has been a bit of a gamble so I think SE were holding off on a second season until they saw how the first did with the new release model.

w0s

I have the whole game but have only played a few of the missions. I just wish the game felt more story driven. Instead any mission can really be played just for the fun of playing the mission. Which works and all but I kinda miss it feeling like a movie.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I have the whole game but have only played a few of the missions. I just wish the game felt more story driven. Instead any mission can really be played just for the fun of playing the mission. Which works and all but I kinda miss it feeling like a movie.
So wait, there is no over arching storyline line? Every episode for itself or what?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Fucking nice, there are a lot of great locations they could do. Reuse some from Blood Money I don't care.

So wait, there is no over arching storyline line? Every episode for itself or what?

There is an overarching storyline connecting the missions, but each mission is very self contained in its own right. The overall story feels very loose, and the majority of the story is told in cutscenes between the missions. There are a lot of little details that are neat to pick up on in the levels, like some of the stuff in Paris foreshadowing a lot of the locations and people in future levels, and a couple levels looking back at the prior actions over the series timeline.

So basically, the story isn't very strong, but it's "good enough", and doesn't get in the way of the gameplay.

ZeroX03

Banned
The real story telling is in the world building told through the environments and people. It's masterful in that respect. So many little narratives weaved through each location.

The actual over arching story is basically skippable though.

I hope they add / change a few more mechanics in S2 and it isn't just more maps.

I kind of feel like I learned all the tricks for s1. It needs a shake up for S2

And of course #bringbackthebriefcase

I'm in for day 1

I haven't finished all the countries, or even come close to mastering any of them, but knowing that it's there waiting for me and not a pressure to finish is nice. It's the kind of game system I enjoy of just pick up and play.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm thinking of giving this a whirl but can I buy individual missions? What mission/s do you guys think are the best?

I'm thinking of giving this a whirl but can I buy individual missions? What mission/s do you guys think are the best?

Sapienza or Paris are probably the best bet as they will give you the most gameplay for your money as they have the most custom contracts/escalations and are the two most open levels. I'd go for Sapienza over Paris.

Hokkaido is another contender though it's the final episode of season 1 so it's a bit more difficult and there's less room initially for you to mess around.

How is this game for complete beginners to the franchise? Seeing how much people have enjoyed the game has got me curious, but the closest I've come to the franchise is the Sniper game that they released alongside Absolution.

Super accessible I'd say. Plenty of HUD options you can enable to take you through the mechanics of the game. It's the sort of game you get better at and improve each time rather than something you need to master to complete.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
How is this game for complete beginners to the franchise? Seeing how much people have enjoyed the game has got me curious, but the closest I've come to the franchise is the Sniper game that they released alongside Absolution.

Arkanius

The tutorial is great to teach you the game mechanics. And Paris is a fantastic first episode to let you go balls out in creativity.
My Hitman background was playing Hitman 2 so I was pretty beginner level.

Buy the Intro pack which gives you both Tutorial + Paris.

CloudWolf

Yep, this is a confirmed Day 1 purchase from me. Absolutely loved the first season, they did good by throwing out (almost) everything from Absolution. The game doesn't even reference it at all.

You must be the only Hitman fan who wants the Absolution style back.

Foffy

Banned
I guess this means mid 2017.

Assuming they were to put out ETs constantly, and assuming all of the ones in Season 1 were going to be released, they have
left. And assuming they put out one a week, we'd here here with Season 1 ETs until
July

Everything about this sounds great. Figured season 1 stuff would carry over, but glad to see it confirmed. Now just get the freaking briefcase in!

I guess this means mid 2017.

Assuming they were to put out ETs constantly, and assuming all of the ones in Season 1 were going to be released, they have
left. And assuming they put out one a week, we'd here here with Season 1 ETs until
July
Probably. I wonder were the new CG trailer will launch. Can't be at the Game Awards or PSX, right?

zkorejo

Everything about this sounds great. Figured season 1 stuff would carry over, but glad to see it confirmed. Now just get the freaking briefcase in!

This is the only thing I really hope they add in. Not just in the season 2 but to the current game as well.

Necron

Looking forward to the physical release of season 1 in January. Haven't played a Hitman game since 3.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm guessing their angle might be to promote this as sort of the season pass for the physical release, which is another reason I don't think the turn around will be too long. I'm sure they see all the physical purchases as a whole new group of consumers to buy in.

I'm not much of a Hitman aficionado either but the game does a very good job of teaching you the basics then lets you go and have fun in interesting sandboxes.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Above all else, the one thing I want to see in the game is the ability to fast forward somehow. Especially when you try to do some of the challenges the waiting can get super annoying.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So did they somehow manage to make episodic content right with this one? I guess it works fine for Hitman because there's not really a big focus on a larger narrative other than the self contained ones within each map. Still wating for Season 1 to be complete and discounted before I get it tho :p, sticking to my guns.

Good that I.O gets to do more tho, great studio, get Jesper Kyd back on music pls

Play Blood Money, at least.

HITMAN is trying to compete with that specific game in the franchise.

Blood Money is so damn good it's ridiculous.

zkorejo

Above all else, the one thing I want to see in the game is the ability to fast forward somehow. Especially when you try to do some of the challenges the waiting can get super annoying.
I dont like that idea. Waiting really adds to the tension.

You have to plan you attack and wait for the perfect moment to do it, and just when that moment arrives there are plenty of things that can go wrong. Then you can either improvise or make a new plan.

If there was a way to fast forward time, every mission would be completable within the first 5 minutes.

Coolade

The game still has online-only DRM for a singleplayer game. Forcing me to wait for a heavy discount.

zkorejo

So did they somehow manage to make episodic content right with this one? I guess it works fine for Hitman because there's not really a big focus on a larger narrative other than the self contained ones within each map. Still wating for Season 1 to be complete and discounted before I get it tho :p, sticking to my guns.

Good that I.O gets to do more tho, great studio, get Jesper Kyd back on music pls

Blood Money is so damn good it's ridiculous.

Season is complete. All the maps with the main missions are out. The only thing missing is one summer bonus mission I guess.

With the release of physical discs, I doubt this will get discounted anytime soon. Maybe by the end of 2017.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I dont like that idea. Waiting really adds to the tension.

You have to plan you attack and wait for the perfect moment to do it, and just when that moment arrives there are plenty of things that can go wrong. Then you can either improvise or make a new plan.

If there was a way to fast forward time, every mission would be completable within the first 5 minutes.

Not sure why that would change if you can fast forward? You still have to wait for the right moment, things can still go wrong and you might still have to improvise.

For example Colorado
if you want to blow Rose's watch up. You have to sit there and wait for him to go through all of his routines until he finally get's to the spot where he takes the watch off.
There is nothing that can go wrong in that scenario unless you just get bored and do something dumb. You are just sitting in a room and wait for the guy to arrive. Some of the challenges require so much waiting when really nothing can possibly go wrong. (Eliminating Caruso with the Grill took foreveeeeeer for me)

Sayad

What's the best way(value) to buy this? Should I wait for physical release or pick it up digitally(which package, etc).

zkorejo

Not sure why that would change if you can fast forward? You still have to wait for the right moment, things can still go wrong and you might still have to improvise.

For example Colorado
if you want to blow Rose's watch up. You have to sit there and wait for him to go through all of his routines until he finally get's to the spot where he takes the watch off.
There is nothing that can go wrong in that scenario unless you just get bored and do something dumb. You are just sitting in a room and wait for the guy to arrive. Some of the challenges require so much waiting when really nothing can possibly go wrong. (Eliminating Caruso with the Grill took foreveeeeeer for me)

I guess it would be fine if the fast forwarding feature only unlocks after you have completed the mission once (for challenges and stuff).

Foffy

Banned
What's the best way(value) to buy this? Should I wait for physical release or pick it up digitally(which package, etc).

Buy the Full/Complete Experience right now.

They put out live content all of the time, which includes time-sensitive, one try-or-die targets. One of which is active right now in the game.

A Full/Complete experience gives you all paid content outside of three preorder items, which would also include the future bonus mission coming out in a few weeks.

Top Bottom