• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Will Have Hair in TV Series Adaptation, Says Writer Derek Kolstad

AGRacing

Ffs, another Hitman project that doesn't understand what the games are about. This is probably gonna be the biggest trainwreck yet and the bar is already set low after the Rupert Friend flick.
I think Hitman is great... and a bald guy is one thing.... but walking around a government building in a jet black suit, leather gloves, red tie with a barcode on the back of your skull is a little suspicious. They couldn't give Lara Croft DD's in real life either.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
If there's one thing I've learned from gaming journos over the past few years it's that if a game doesn't have a protagonist that looks like me it's a shit game and there's no way it could be good or entertaining. Stop marginalizing bald people! #RepresentationMatters

Orpheum

giphy.gif

xrnzaaas

I've never played a Hitman game, does Agent 47's baldness have a story reason?
Technically it was never explained, but the games show him as bald even even as a child. So the best theory is that he was made this way. He's not a person capable of growing hair and just choosing to be bald.

The biggest issue here is that being bald is the first thing that comes to mind when you talk about this character. Even those not interested in the games often know that. Taking that away would be a huge mistake imo.

Technically it was never explained, but the games show him as bald even even as a child. So the best theory is that he was made this way. He's not a person capable of growing hair and just choosing to be bald.
When you say "made this way", do you mean written this way by the game devs, or is he an artificial human being in-game?

mortal

Gold Member
I do. I agree, but what does this have to do with him having hair in the series?
It's about him apparently having hair in this adaptation though, not the entire series of Hitman

See this is what I mean, dude. Whatever direction they decided to go with this adaptation shouldn't impact your appreciation for the actual games.
If it ends up being a pleasant surprise then great let's celebrate that. If it ends up disappointing, well that would be a shame but it's not going to be the end of world. It's plausible we might even some sort of reference to a shaved/bald Agent 47. Who knows at this point.

Whatever causes this adaption to fall short would be due to underlying issues more crucial to the storytelling than Agent 47 having hair, come on now lol.

Last edited:
It's about him apparently having hair in this adaptation though, not the entire series of Hitman

See this is what I mean, dude. Whatever direction they decided to go with this adaptation shouldn't impact your appreciation for the actual games.
If it ends up being a pleasant surprise then great let's celebrate that. If it ends up disappointing, well that would be a shame but it's not going to the end of world.
Whatever causes this adaption to fall short would be due to underlying issues more crucial to the storytelling than Agent 47 having hair, come now lol.

Yeah, to me his description of the script was way more facepalm worthy than the hair part.

You haven't noticed the clown world we live in?

Gina Carano getting fired because she isn't a leftist.
Triss being black instead of a redhead in The Witcher.
Kathleen Kennedy killing off old star wars characters because they are white males.
Luke Skywalker was a jedi that had to have years of training, but the strong independt woman Rey had them from the beginning.
Druckmann killing off white characters and make it a lesbian/tranny simulator because why not.
Gay flags in Gears 5. Why the hell does it even exist in the game? Im not against gays, but why dont we have a Super Straight flag in the game as well? Because its fucking stupid.
The voice actor behind Apu in the Simpsons getting fired because he is a white male charactering an indian guy despite having been there from the beginning.
Bioware shoveling a gay character into the remastered version of Baldur's gate despite not being there in the original. Because the sexual orientation is super important in a RPG.
Call of Duty: World War 2 having removed Swastikas in the multiplayer because people could be offended. Its a fucking game about Nazis and WW2.
Far Cry 5 was a game made entirely to make fun of Trump and his supporters.
Battlefield V is dishonoring true veterans who died on the Battlefield because they wanted to replace them with black and women. The mission in Norway where freedom fighters destroyed the Nazis nuclear facility, were portrayed by a Woman and her daughter. Thats utterly disrepectful.
Bond being a black woman.

Imagine Shaft being white in the new movie. We would have another BLM movement again.

Do I need to continue, or are you done?

There's plenty of new material daily, just go for a daily search on Resetera where these SJW knuckleheads cries over new shit every day. That's the fuel for us not to be opressed from fat purple hair women and men who cuts their own dick off.

giphy.gif

Get this man a safe space

mortal

Gold Member
I will when the woke writers come up with interesting new characters instead of just always turning existing characters into minorities for no real reason.
No one to my knowledge is doing that with this Hitman adaptation, so what's your point?

th4tguy

It's funny. There is a ton of outrage here and all because of hair.
The guy in the link stated he wrote the first two episodes and the SETUP for the show is he ends up shaving his head and finding this barcode, realizing things are much grander/ deeper than they are. He most likely only has hair for the first two episodes, if that.
Will this make the show good or anything like the games? I don't know.
But man you guys sure know how to react to nothing.

Zeroing

Banned
It's funny. There is a ton of outrage here and all because of hair.
The guy in the link stated he wrote the first two episodes and the SETUP for the show is he ends up shaving his head and finding this barcode, realizing things are much grander/ deeper than they are. He most likely only has hair for the first two episodes, if that.
Will this make the show good or anything like the games? I don't know.
But man you guys sure know how to react to nothing.
yeah I did noticed that. the "why not make him black, why not make him a woman" posts, made me wonder if I was in another dimension.

I hope they turn him gay for the show, the meltdowns and desperation of people in the internet would be amazing.

Stuart360

Whats the back story with 47?, was he like a test tube baby born and raised by the agency?. I mean could it be that the series starts when he was a normal guy and recruited by the agency, and thats why he has hair for the first few epsiodes or something?

mortal

Gold Member
You forgot a key word....yet.
No offense, but that is how you let people live in your head rent free.

Stressing about the mere possibility of wokeness seems not only silly imo, but also a colossal waste of precious time. Especially when there's already plenty of real examples to criticize. No need to invent more.

I mean we're talking about hair here people...hair. A bit of an overreaction, no?

SJRB

Gold Member

Stressing about the mere possibility of wokeness seems not only silly imo, but also a colossal waste of precious time. Especially when there's already plenty of real examples to criticize. No need to invent more.

I mean we're talking about hair here people...hair. A bit of an overreaction, no?

If you're a fan of something, you'd want a tv show adaptation to be as faithful as possible to the source material.

I don't think that's too weird an expectation. And in the case of Agent 47, his physical appearance is iconic. Woke has nothing to do with this, honestly, that's just jokes.

It doesn't instill much faith when the writer makes statements that make it seem like he doesn't really take the source material as guiding principle, which again for fans, is not something they'd want to hear.

DaGwaphics

I guess I'm in the minority, but I can see a hitman-esque show being enjoyable to watch if done well. Obviously, this is a passive experience, so you shouldn't be worried about recreating iconic moments directly from the gameplay. That's where RE has always gone wrong, that franchise had good enough bones to the story to make an interesting sci-fi thriller, but they got all hung up on recreating some of the cheesy dialog and jump scares.

xrnzaaas

Whats the back story with 47?, was he like a test tube baby born and raised by the agency?. I mean could it be that the series starts when he was a normal guy and recruited by the agency, and thats why he has hair for the first few epsiodes or something?

Pretty decent video if you don't want to spend too much time researching the subject.

JCK75

They spent 10 seconds in my head while I made a quick dumb joke about what keeps happening... it's already spent more time in your head than mine by arguing the jokes validity.

mortal

Gold Member
If you're a fan of something, you'd want a tv show adaptation to be as faithful as possible to the source material.

I don't think that's too weird an expectation. And in the case of Agent 47, his physical appearance is iconic. Woke has nothing to do with this, honestly, that's just jokes.

It doesn't instill much faith when the writer makes statements that make it seem like he doesn't really take the source material as guiding principle, which again for fans, is not something they'd want to hear.
To be fair the jokes and posts I responded to were already alluding to wokeness.

I understand your argument about wanting the team adapting it to respect the source material. I would agree that is a good thing to have for an any adaptation of a beloved IP.

This is still an adaptation, and some creative liberties will be expected to an extent, right? I already have the pure Hitman experience in the form of the source material (ie the games.) Anything beyond that is the cherry on top imo.

I don't necessarily need this adaptation to successfully recreate every single element of the Hitman series because they quite literally cannot by the use of a different medium.

So long as as they manage to capture the core elements or underlying themes from the Hitman games, it'll be at least interesting to watch. Assuming the plots are well written. There's also the actor's performance to consider.
Which are arguably more crucial than ensuring that the costume of Agent 47 be perfectly recreated down to every detail.

We've already had at least 2 live action Hitman adaptions that did just that, but the actual films were sort of mediocre and not very memorable imo. I'm sure you would agree it takes more than getting surface level elements down make a great or interesting adaptation.
It's certainly trickier adapting from an interactive medium to a passive one.
You lose half of what made the experience interesting. So you have to be creative with how best to interpret the source material without risking alienating the fan base of that IP.

Buhaj

"Barcode under his skin" possibly sounds even worse than the Head & Shoulders product placement.

mortal

Gold Member
They spent 10 seconds in my head while I made a quick dumb joke about what keeps happening... it's already spent more time in your head than mine by arguing the jokes validity.
Fair enough, dude. Although those seconds amounts to minutes and minutes amounts to hours, but do as you please I suppose lol
There will be times when the criticism is valid, although worrying about things you enjoy or love potentially going woke makes one increasingly cynical over time, it doesn't seem worth it.

Last edited:

Komatsu

Gina Carano getting fired because she isn't a leftist.
Triss being black instead of a redhead in The Witcher.
Kathleen Kennedy killing off old star wars characters because they are white males.
Luke Skywalker was a jedi that had to have years of training, but the strong independt woman Rey had them from the beginning.
Druckmann killing off white characters and make it a lesbian/tranny simulator because why not.
Gay flags in Gears 5. Why the hell does it even exist in the game? Im not against gays, but why dont we have a Super Straight flag in the game as well? Because its fucking stupid.
The voice actor behind Apu in the Simpsons getting fired because he is a white male charactering an indian guy despite having been there from the beginning.
Bioware shoveling a gay character into the remastered version of Baldur's gate despite not being there in the original. Because the sexual orientation is super important in a RPG.
Call of Duty: World War 2 having removed Swastikas in the multiplayer because people could be offended. Its a fucking game about Nazis and WW2.
Far Cry 5 was a game made entirely to make fun of Trump and his supporters.
Battlefield V is dishonoring true veterans who died on the Battlefield because they wanted to replace them with black and women. The mission in Norway where freedom fighters destroyed the Nazis nuclear facility, were portrayed by a Woman and her daughter. Thats utterly disrepectful.
Bond being a black woman.

exhausted kill me GIF

Doesn't it exhaust you? Writing walls of text about "social justice warriors"?

I always think it's weird that nobody is wary of the fact their butler has a shaved head with tattoos on it, I mean he should be a bit more inconspicuous.

Or the fact that nobody questions a lily-white, blue-eyes baldie trotting around in a Moroccan military uniform. But that's part of the game's charm.

Top Bottom