• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HOAX: Female Pro Overwatch Player Ellie Quits After Harassment and Threats (Updated: Read OP)

bigedole

didnt they do the same to the korean girl who also plays OW? Claims she wasnt real and a man and cheating

Nope, Geguri proved she wasn't cheating and stomped the people accusing her of it with cams and skill, who were then swiftly ostracized by the professional community for being humongous dinguses.

This person, who we know nothing about other than their handle, remains a mystery. Harassment is always bad, but having followed the OW professional community since before the game's release, the odds of this being some random up and comer are extremely slim and some amount of skepticism is warranted.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
If this was somebody trying to evade a ban by remaining anonymous, and the banned competitor did not tell the team, it wouldn't be a conspiracy because it would be literally one person involved. by definition, that's not a conspiracy theory.

But if that's the case, the banned guy got way too cute by pretending to be a girl since that attracted a lot more scrutiny.

Airola

So, a bunch of boys play a video game online. No-one is interested in a proof that they are boys.

A wild girl appears.

"You're not a girl."
"What, yes I am a girl."
"No you're not, prove it!"
"No. Why?"
"It's a guy pretending to be a girl!"
"No I'm not."
"Hey look, that's a guy! Ellie hasn't proved Ellie's a girl!"
"Why I should..."
"CUNT! Hey guys, let's stop playing with Ellie! There's no proof Ellie's a girl!"

This reminds me the days of past when internet wasn't this huge mainstream thing it is today. There was this music forum and one day someone named as a famous musician appeared there claiming he is that musician. Talked about his projects and stuff. There were lots of people who laughed at it saying "do you really think someone that famous would be interested in writing on this forum, lol you are gullible, it's not him, it can't be him."

It really was him, but for some reason it was impossible for people to think that no-one famous would want to do the things these ordinary people want to do.
I think it's a bit like that with women too. People get confused when someone they generally would like is suddenly interested in the same thing. To control the confusion they want to dismiss it as hard as possible. I remember people writing to game magazines in early 90's that girls don't really play video games. And when someone wrote a letter and said she's a girl and likes to play these games, there were bunch of angry letters in the next issue claiming it's bullshit.

It's like "no, it's that famous dude who I kinda like, he can't be hanging out here... with us... I... like his music.. I'm not famous, how could he be interested in being with not famous people?"
Or "no, it's a girl... hey... I like girls... she can't be hanging out here... with us... with me... I... like girls... but I'm a guy, how could she be interested in being with guys like this?"

And at worst this confusion ends up being stuff like "IT'S NOT WOMEN'S BUSINESS TO DO THIS, FUCKING CUNTS, DICK TITS RAPE LOL GTFO CUNT!!!111111"

cormack12

Gold Member
Her evidence is Punisher told her?

The counter claim is as weak as the original story. Create controversy/scandal, drive traffic to streams and personalities to uncover the truth for the next week = +revenue. Whole thing stinks of opportunism. And 'journalists' need to look at this long and hard and realise how quickly they fan flames

DonF

Nobody’s missing the point. I’ll say it again: unfounded suspicions do not justify treating someone like shit on the internet. Harassment is harassment. Harassment is also ILLGEAL. It’s up to the esports leagues to decide if and how they can verify someone’s gender. It’s not in the hands of fuckwit trolls who are chomping at the bit to attack someone just for giggles.
I know that there are dumb ass trolls out there, and that harassment existed in this case. But why not just straight the record, and let the person in question come forward, prove her existence. Its not that hard. I don't think that thats harassment.

ZeroGravity

The counter claim is as weak as the original story. Create controversy/scandal, drive traffic to streams and personalities to uncover the truth for the next week = +revenue. Whole thing stinks of opportunism. And 'journalists' need to look at this long and hard and realise how quickly they fan flames
They knew exactly what they were doing. They have an agenda to push and will latch onto any story that even remotely seems like it furthers that agenda, facts be damn.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

This is how I see it as well.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Like said, it could prove to be an alien donkey and it wouldn't matter, the reaction of that segment of the community was pathetic, player not being a girl, if true, doesn't change the reality of them being scum. Going all I TOLD U IT WOULD BE A DUDE OR A TRANS DUDE LOLOL STUPID SJWs just doesn't prove anything about people being uncomfortable with such scum doing as they please and targeting folks they don't know shit about. I don't want them to start targeting every male player now claiming they too might be some banned guy. If someone was evading a ban it was Blizzard's or official tournaments' job to find out, giving those as reasons for doing that shit are just lame excuses for scum to be scum. Like yeah there are tons of dudes posing as females in WoW to get preferential treatment or simply because they like role playing that, maybe you should learn to treat women like humans so you don't fall for that stuff and actually get social in person or other good enough means before you treat people as anything more than playmates, it's not illegal or anything to pretend to be a girl in games, if it reached a point where it was a matter of false identity in some official capacity then sure, that deserves punishment, not by the community scum however, that's still for others to decide. So unless the scum prove that they were in on the joke and their reaction was also part of a social experiment knowing they're not actually harming any individual before the reveal of their identity, whether a girl, a boy, a trans girl or boy, or whatever else, there's no saving face for them and anyone who enjoyed, applauded or justified their actions in any capacity. My 2 cents and I'm done with this topic, quote me if it does prove to be something more interesting than a guy posing as a girl, like an actual alien donkey, I want to see an alien donkey playing OW.

Last edited:
I know that there are dumb ass trolls out there, and that harassment existed in this case. But why not just straight the record, and let the person in question come forward, prove her existence. Its not that hard. I don't think that thats harassment.

If that’s all that happened (just asking for the identity to be proven) this wouldn’t be a story though. The story is harassment happened.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
its gonna be hilarious if all these "journalists" wrote stories about this yet nobody reached out to Ellie to see if she was a real person

Last edited:
If that’s all that happened (just asking for the identity to be proven) this wouldn’t be a story though. The story is harassment happened.

If this player was fake/ban evasion/etc., then it's not a story at all. It's not even harassment at that point. You can't harass an imaginary person.

Honestly, at this point I trust internet sleuths in a lot of cases - HWNDU and the Syria ISIS camp investigation prove they can do amazing things with scant information.

Last edited:

Athena~

Banned
Don’t you guys realize by now it’s just a bunch of male nerds fighting amongst themselves, with occasionally using women as shields or the excuses to start a fight? Just bored people creating drama?

These people seriously need to grow up.

To me it sounds more like someone who doesn’t want their gender to overshadow their skills in a game. Not everyone wants to be put on a pedestal due to their gender like many of the SJWs out there. She would probably prefer to fly under the radar and enjoy being competitively good at a goddamned game.

Look if I’m wrong about her I’ll own up to it but it doesn’t feel that way to me. Also I really dont understand why some people are demanding photographic evidence of her vaginal cleft.

DonF

Yes, because there is no proof that the player is a she. We can keep going in circles....

DonF

To me it sounds more like someone who doesn’t want their gender to overshadow their skills in a game. Not everyone wants to be put on a pedestal due to their gender like many of the SJWs out there. She would probably prefer to fly under the radar and enjoy being competitively good at a goddamned game.

Look if I’m wrong about her I’ll own up to it but it doesn’t feel that way to me. Also I really dont understand why some people are demanding photographic evidence of her vaginal cleft.
I know thats exaggeration, but no one is asking that.

Look, Im not condoning harassment at all, all I'm saying is that it could stopped/avoided in a very simple way, like, stream or something.

So, a bunch of boys play a video game online. No-one is interested in a proof that they are boys.

A wild girl appears.

"You're not a girl."
"What, yes I am a girl."
"No you're not, prove it!"
"No. Why?"
"It's a guy pretending to be a girl!"
"No I'm not."
"Hey look, that's a guy! Ellie hasn't proved Ellie's a girl!"
"Why I should..."
"CUNT! Hey guys, let's stop playing with Ellie! There's no proof Ellie's a girl!"

This reminds me the days of past when internet wasn't this huge mainstream thing it is today. There was this music forum and one day someone named as a famous musician appeared there claiming he is that musician. Talked about his projects and stuff. There were lots of people who laughed at it saying "do you really think someone that famous would be interested in writing on this forum, lol you are gullible, it's not him, it can't be him."

It really was him, but for some reason it was impossible for people to think that no-one famous would want to do the things these ordinary people want to do.
I think it's a bit like that with women too. People get confused when someone they generally would like is suddenly interested in the same thing. To control the confusion they want to dismiss it as hard as possible. I remember people writing to game magazines in early 90's that girls don't really play video games. And when someone wrote a letter and said she's a girl and likes to play these games, there were bunch of angry letters in the next issue claiming it's bullshit.

It's like "no, it's that famous dude who I kinda like, he can't be hanging out here... with us... I... like his music.. I'm not famous, how could he be interested in being with not famous people?"
Or "no, it's a girl... hey... I like girls... she can't be hanging out here... with us... with me... I... like girls... but I'm a guy, how could she be interested in being with guys like this?"

And at worst this confusion ends up being stuff like "IT'S NOT WOMEN'S BUSINESS TO DO THIS, FUCKING CUNTS, DICK TITS RAPE LOL GTFO CUNT!!!111111"
It's weird. I'm usually okay with fantasy fan fiction, but for some reason, I'm just not keeping my suspension of disbelief with this post. Maybe throw in some dwarves or elves to make it more believable...

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
To me it sounds more like someone who doesn’t want their gender to overshadow their skills in a game.

Thats possible, or she could have social anxiety or a similar illness. But if this is actually a woman, revealing her identity would greatly increase her chances to attract sponsors and succeed as a professional Overwatch player.

Shai-Tan

Banned

Time to throw more fuel on the fire. Ellie supposedly a fake all long.

It's worth listening a while more to hear her commentary about how annoying it is to always get shit questioning if she's legit. And some people on reddit made a chart connecting random dots which isn't surprising because it happens every time.

zeorhymer

So someone asked the team to sign a person using a fictitious name. Then says it's a "social experiment" and didn't think the backlash was this bad. If any of this is remotely true I'd curb stomp the team for they willingly knew what was going on and none of this shit would have happened if they didn't do this bs.

I know thats exaggeration, but no one is asking that.

Look, Im not condoning harassment at all, all I'm saying is that it could stopped/avoided in a very simple way, like, stream or something.

Here is where you lose me. The Internet is meant to be an anonymous place. Or at least it was until Facebook and all that social media bullshit showed up and the culture of “me me me me” took off. I’m sure there are a lot of people out there who want to play games but dont really want to have an online presence. I know it’s offputting when someone actually wants to AVOID pimping themselves but yes there are still people who feel this way! Who’s to say 20 years from now they dont want a potential employer searching for them by name and finding some goofy YouTube stream they made?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
So all this fuzz because a girl is playing Overwatch without proving that she is actually a girl?

What is this? Am I in the Matrix? I'm too old for this.

StormCell

Her evidence is Punisher told her?

“He did it as a social experiment and didn’t expect it to get out of hand.”

If that’s true, then he’s an idiot. That can’t be the whole story.

:messenger_grinning_squinting:

I tried not to waste much time digging into the details, but there was just too much that seemed suspicious. I cut bait at the Twitter account created in Dec 2018. C'mon....

So all this fuzz because a girl is playing Overwatch without proving that she is actually a girl?

giphy.gif

You're too lazy for this. If only there was a three page thread and multiple links that you could've used to actually understand this issue...

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
We used to get stoned and my buddy who was a decent Halo player would let his GF chat and he'd play and feed her info on mute. These nerdlings were worshiping her like a god. Hahaha.

then they should have used a genderneutral handle

Ok fine, let’s put your theory to the test. Tell me if you’re a male or a female. You. Post it here on this forum.

Again, why? As long as the Esport organizations can confirm her identity, what kind of rule entitles other players and the general public to know her name, gender or anything else about her?

This man gets it. This is still a very young kid we’re taliing about. Why would she want to post any of her identity (and videos) on the Internet knowing that one day 20 years from now a potential employer could be looking at it and deciding whether not to hire her?

Last edited:

Is it normal that SW signed “Ellie” without any vetting? Wouldn’t the callouts be delayed when they practiced/scrimmed? Seems like there should have been red flags?

Seems like a lot of people look stupid here (including me). Or was SW in on it?

Seems like this just hurts future real female contenders.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Is it normal that SW signed “Ellie” without any vetting? Wouldn’t the callouts be delayed when they practiced/scrimmed? Seems like there should have been red flags?

Seems like a lot of people look stupid here (including me). Or was SW in on it?

Seems like this just hurts future real female contenders.

Think that's what they're trying to figure out. Dunno about the rest, truth is we're all in the dark really. Sounds like she has been doing comms while someone else played the game though. Only people who looks stupid is the people in on 'the social experiment' - wouldn't worry about it. You might just get some weird side effects like becoming more cynical :)

Airola

It's weird. I'm usually okay with fantasy fan fiction, but for some reason, I'm just not keeping my suspension of disbelief with this post. Maybe throw in some dwarves or elves to make it more believable...

Well, it ends up with Ellie showing tits, and they are ogre tits.
Puking and erections happen, often both at the same time.
"See, I am a girl"
Ellie winks.
Cue an anime theme.
The end.

Last edited:
Even if it turns out it was fake persona it's still proof of horrible behaviour of community. You can be critical and sceptical of something in polite way.

Top Bottom