• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HOAX: Female Pro Overwatch Player Ellie Quits After Harassment and Threats (Updated: Read OP)

Mooreberg

I bounced off of Overwatch a while ago, but reading how tight knit the "top 500" player base is, this comes off as totally ill conceived or designed to implode. Like they knew it couldn't be perpetrated for all that long, but they could make people look like total fools for defending something with zero evidence.

roflcaust

Neo Member
It's pretty easy to understand why people would be skeptical regarding this issue.

In an environment where boobs + webcam + OBS = successful Twitch streamer, people are very wary of any individuals basing their personalities related to the game they play simply based on their gender, which this person has done.

There's also expectations. These days, if you're an OW pro, you have to put in the effort to stream and market your own brand (effectively, your personality). If the only thing you know about an individual is "hey, I'm a girl, trust me, I'm good at games" you will generate a response.

I'm not condoning what people have done but it's a little fishy that knowing the current gaming environment, someone would join a pro team and just say "I'm a girl" and think people would let it slide? Seems the perfect instance where people who want to push the Social Justice narrative in gaming can use to show how misogynistic and woman-hating gamers are in general.

It's pretty easy to understand why people would be skeptical regarding this issue.

In an environment where boobs + webcam + OBS = successful Twitch streamer, people are very wary of any individuals basing their personalities related to the game they play simply based on their gender, which this person has done.

There's also expectations. These days, if you're an OW pro, you have to put in the effort to stream and market your own brand (effectively, your personality). If the only thing you know about an individual is "hey, I'm a girl, trust me, I'm good at games" you will generate a response.

I'm not condoning what people have done but it's a little fishy that knowing the current gaming environment, someone would join a pro team and just say "I'm a girl" and think people would let it slide? Seems the perfect instance where people who want to push the Social Justice narrative in gaming can use to show how misogynistic and woman-hating gamers are in general.

You’re absolutely right, but the issue wasn’t skepticism. The issue was death threats and dox threats.

Boss Mog

Another case of SJWs rushing to white knight a woman without any regard for the facts, like women could never deceive anyone or something. They tried to dismiss any doubters as misogynists, yet they're the ones who end up looking stupid as is most often the case.

Last edited:
DwGH8MRWkAMtLfo.jpg

olimariOA

Banned
Even if it turns out it was fake persona it's still proof of horrible behaviour of community. You can be critical and sceptical of something in polite way.

Very true, but the onus isn't on the anonymous masses to be nice.
What kind of pipe dream is that?

If you don't like something on the internet it's very easy to not expose yourself to it.
I very much subscribe to that Tyler the Creator Tweet about Cyber Bullying. WALK AWAY. CLOSE YOUR EYES.

The easiest thing to control in this world is always yourself and this is true everywhere. Good life lesson.

ZeroGravity

Even if it turns out it was fake persona it's still proof of horrible behaviour of community. You can be critical and sceptical of something in polite way.
As someone who watched this story unfold from the very beginning, most people were. But, as always when something like this happens, people are all too quick to paint an entire community as bad from the actions of an extremely small minority.

As someone who watched this story unfold from the very beginning, most people were. But, as always when something like this happens, people are all too quick to paint an entire community as bad from the actions of an extremely small minority.

The OW community as earned it’s toxic reputation, with or without this story.

In my opinion, of course.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
So, who was the idiot games journalist that went off half-cocked that I keep seeing referenced?

People had the right to suspect tomfoolery. It still doesn’t excuse the reactions however. It doesn’t excuse the harassment and plans of doxxing

Maybe next time the ones acting like ridiculous children can act like mature teens at least?

I can say that on GAF now that the ones who also acted this very same way 14 months ago aren’t here. I assume everyone here now won’t be offended by that since you weren’t the ones that did it here.

Last edited:
MHeBnR8.jpg

So it turns out the speculations were all true and said Overwatch player was indeed a fictional character. It doesn't excuse the doxxing attempts, but it also does not excuse the mediocre reporting by the gaming press, many of which assumed things they didn't verify because they wanted to jump on a juicy clickbait story that seemingly confirmed their narrative that the gaming community is toxic and filled with misogynistic trolls. While I'm sure that the vast majority of the gaming community does not support doxxing, the press were quick to condemn those who remained skeptical while painting them with the same broad brush.

The gaming press decided to run with the headline that said fictional character retired due to death threats, when in reality it was merely a pretext to quickly get out of the situation. The press has yet again demonstrated its inability to verify their facts, instead letting their own subjective biases run rampant leaving their audience no choice but to remain skeptical the next time they concoct a similar story. What's even worse about this is that next time, the story might be true, but fall on deaf ears because the press cried wolf one too many times.

There's too many games journalists out there, hungry for clicks, desperately wanting the gaming community to be toxic because it's the sort of outrage that drives their traffic.

Last edited:
There's too many games journalists out there, hungry for clicks, desperately wanting the gaming community to be toxic because it's the sort of outrage that drives their traffic.
I need to get my glasses checked. I legitimately thought you said they were hungry for dicks. The worst part is, it didn't even strike me as an odd thing to say.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
MHeBnR8.jpg

So it turns out the speculations were all true and said Overwatch player was indeed a fictional character. It doesn't excuse the doxxing attempts, but it also does not excuse the mediocre reporting by the gaming press, many of which assumed things they didn't verify because they wanted to jump on a juicy clickbait story that seemingly confirmed their narrative that the gaming community is toxic and filled with misogynistic trolls. While I'm sure that the vast majority of the gaming community does not support doxxing, they press were quick to condemn those who remained skeptical while painting them with the same broad brush.

The gaming press decided to run with the headline that said fictional character retired due to death threats, when in reality it was merely a pretext to quickly get out of the situation. The press has yet again demonstrated its inability to verify their facts, instead letting their own subjective biases run rampant leaving their audience no choice but to remain skeptical the next time they concoct a similar story. What's even worse about this is that the next time, the story might be true, but fall on deaf ears because the press cried wolf one too many times.

Geez, it was fake news all along.

"But look at who we baited, and isn't that the real lesson here?" was the same tactic Bully Hunters pulled.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
MHeBnR8.jpg

So it turns out the speculations were all true and said Overwatch player was indeed a fictional character. It doesn't excuse the doxxing attempts, but it also does not excuse the mediocre reporting by the gaming press, many of which assumed things they didn't verify because they wanted to jump on a juicy clickbait story that seemingly confirmed their narrative that the gaming community is toxic and filled with misogynistic trolls. While I'm sure that the vast majority of the gaming community does not support doxxing, they press were quick to condemn those who remained skeptical while painting them with the same broad brush.

The gaming press decided to run with the headline that said fictional character retired due to death threats, when in reality it was merely a pretext to quickly get out of the situation. The press has yet again demonstrated its inability to verify their facts, instead letting their own subjective biases run rampant leaving their audience no choice but to remain skeptical the next time they concoct a similar story. What's even worse about this is that the next time, the story might be true, but fall on deaf ears because the press cried wolf one too many times.

:messenger_beermugs:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Geez, it was fake news all along.

"But look at who we baited, and isn't that the real lesson here?" was the same tactic Bully Hunters pulled.

Exactly. These fucking clowns are just pouring fuel onto flames, stoking them, having a manipulative hand in it, all while trying to control the narrative.

They are propagandists with an agenda.

Last edited:

Fake

resetera should be embarassing right now. Oh, well...
So she doesn't exist? Why would they do that?
Maybe clicks, who know? As a ex-resetera member those threads are very very popular there and people LOVE just jump in conclusions. I even one time was called 'male chauvinist' even if follow my account on twitter I 100% of time defend feminist causes.
Its just about clicks now.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Between the Price bullshit and this, they are just doubling down on their lack of cohesive ethics. And they no longer need to worry, clicks and outrage drive revenue for them. They are tabloid at best now, only minus the entertainment of 'wolf alien man ghost god got me pregnant'.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

Between the Price bullshit and this, they are just doubling down on their lack of cohesive ethics. And they no longer need to worry, clicks and outrage drive revenue for them. They are tabloid at best now, only minus the entertainment of 'wolf alien man ghost god got me pregnant'.

Gaming sites were always a 'tabloid' with clickbait as the driver behind success. I worked for a small website for free games years ago for a long time. Went to E3 and met other people doing the same shit. The only thing people care about is clicks and rushing to be first.

Same time there is no money to be made in games journalism otherwise.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Gaming sites were always a 'tabloid' with clickbait as the driver behind success. I worked for a small website for free games years ago for a long time. Went to E3 and met other people doing the same shit. The only thing people care about is clicks and rushing to be first.

Same time there is no money to be made in games journalism otherwise.

True, but they at least put on the facade of having some semblance of "ethics". Now it is all gloves off, and they do not give a shit that they are out in the open, because it ultimately does not matter. Regardless of the BS disclaimers they tried to paste on their sites after they got shook from the very early on origins of GG.

Last edited:

Hissing Sid

All we need now is a ‘We were just trying to start/At least it’s started a conversation’ Function key, and the circle of bollox will be complete.

autoduelist

What kind of outrage would be justified? That it might be a banned player? Do you believe in justified harassment too?

I believe your post has absolutely nothing to do with my post, and your attempt to equate reasoned thought with defending harassment is intellectually dishonest and ethically gross.

autoduelist

That's a problem. Everything about this is a problem, and it all starts with a pro player trying to get by anon. The rest could have been predicted by a blind monkey that had any knowledge of the culture war going on, which personally, leads me to believe the people that decided to go anonymous knew they were setting a time bomb, because this controversy was a given.

I fucking called it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I appreciate the effort, but I’ve never clicked on a resetera link and I’m not about to start now. You couldn’t PAY me to go there.

Do you know what publication he/she works for?

I don't blame you. I rarely if ever do as well, I just wanted to see his mental diarrhea.

This is what he wrote:

The way I viewed the situation wasn't very "journalistic" of me. I assumed that if she had joined the team that they had vetted her, and just because Reddit thought she was some random didn't indicate to me that it might be true. Players you've never heard of from soloq are accepted into the minor leagues for comp games all the time i.e. League of Legend's Academy teams.

I assumed that she was vetted. I don't think it's wrong of anyone to assume that she was because, well, you kind of expect an organization to do the bare minimum when picking up a player.

Hobbes
Senior Staff Writer at MP1st

autoduelist

You're not wrong, but it's not the community. It's not men. It's just how people act on the internet. Go to reddit and watch people eviscerate anyone and everything they disagree with. Pick any sub. Political. Legal. Pet related. Diet related. Doesn't fucking matter.

The real problem is that the sound advice of grow a thicker skin, block, and mute is now considered toxic, which is ridiculous. We have a built in solution to hurtful idiots on the web and instead of using those solutions those with victim agendas use identity politics to blame specific groups. Then use that groups reaction to being slurred as a group as proof of their initial assertion.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So this whole thing was fake?

Looks like video gaming's top notch journalism (based on basement gamers with literally zero academic or hands on journalism skills) strikes again.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Everyone is guilty by association these days.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't blame you. I rarely if ever do as well, I just wanted to see his mental diarrhea.

This is what he wrote:

Hobbes
Senior Staff Writer at MP1st

The way this fool doubled down, failed to even reach out to see if this person was real or not, sounds... fishy.

Top Bottom