• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy is the biggest Harry Potter game launch of all time | UK Boxed Charts

YCoCg

It's understandable that people have different tastes in gaming. But not loving this game and not covering it sound like an excuse to be honest for being pressured by the crazies not to cover this game. Look, I hate my job and most people do not like to work, but that doesn't stop me from not working. It's called being an adult and sucking it up to get paid. I won't cry over Twitter for how much I hate working.
Have you ever been threatened and had people turn up at your house though? A place where you and your kids live, all because they want to send a message about reviewing this game in a series you have no interest in? He stated clearly at the time they didn't have a code and if they did get one then he wouldn't be the one doing the review, and that's now confirmed, they've got a code and Oliver is covering it.

It's their right not to want to cover their game, but it's also our right to not want to support such cowardly behaviors. We got opinions too and do not lump us with other crazy people on the other forum as most of us here are being civil about it.
Except you lot are treating John as the entirety of DF, there's been games he doesn't, games he doesn't cover, that's never been an issue before but suddenly now it is? And again you've probably not even read the initial tweet that was threatening him.

Also, regarding paying for the game; nobody is entitled to get a free copy of the game.
So they should go out of their way and pay for this game even though they eventually gets keys for free? Should all if DF be forced to buy this game? Should John be forced to buy this game even though he doesn't like the franchise?

Most of you just have a hard on over this and don't want to accept that perhaps there's some people out there who are not interested in Harry Potter and it's now "political" whether you do or don't because of the JK Rowling stuff.

yazenov

Have you ever been threatened and had people turn up at your house though? A place where you and your kids live, all because they want to send a message about reviewing this game in a series you have no interest in? He stated clearly at the time they didn't have a code and if they did get one then he wouldn't be the one doing the review, and that's now confirmed, they've got a code and Oliver is covering it.

Except you lot are treating John as the entirety of DF, there's been games he doesn't, games he doesn't cover, that's never been an issue before but suddenly now it is? And again you've probably not even read the initial tweet that was threatening him.

So they should go out of their way and pay for this game even though they eventually gets keys for free? Should all if DF be forced to buy this game? Should John be forced to buy this game even though he doesn't like the franchise?

Most of you just have a hard on over this and don't want to accept that perhaps there's some people out there who are not interested in Harry Potter and it's now "political" whether you do or don't because of the JK Rowling stuff.

Dude stop generalizing as you're being silly now.

You seem to think a company is a one-man show. If one person dislikes the game or the genre, therefore everyone shouldn't cover the game? Again, being silly with this hive mind mentality and generalization.

Yes, nobody is entitled to get free copies of the game. You are paid to cover games, and using a free copy ($60) as an excuse not to cover a game (a huge fucking game that is on the way to selling more than 10 million copies , maybe 20 million) is equally silly while doing a disservice to most of your subscribers who are paying you directly or indirectly.

YCoCg

You seem to think a company is a one-man show. If one person dislikes the game or the genre, therefore everyone shouldn't cover the game? Again, being silly with this hive mind mentality and generalization.
WTF are you talking about? John made it clear that if they got a key, he wouldn't be doing the review, and guess what, they got a key and Oliver is doing it!

Yes, nobody is entitled to get free copies of the game.
You say this and yet they still got a free copy to review, ergo you're arguing about nothing, you're the one asking for this game to get special treatment, when John was asked on Twitter they just didn't have any copies sent to them at that point and yet that was enough for Ree and people like yourself to go ape shit on him.

Nice side stepping the question about being threatened and having shit and people come to your house btw.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I see Linneman still feels the need to be a little bitch about it
He deleted his twitch image lol.

But yeah, he is in a public professional position. He should act accordingly and he should know by now how Twitter is. It’s like if the tweirdos are bothering you just turn the computer off for a while. 😳

Banned
Shameful that euro gamer aren’t covering this game at all. Never realised they were that woke.

they will kinda be forced to cover it once the Digital Foundry analysis goes live as the written version of it goes on Eurogamer.

btw. Eurogamer germany did review it and gave it a recommended or 8/10, as the german site still does scores

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
FFS you lot are as bad as the other side at times, John has always said he's not into Harry Potter, only finding the Lego ones tolerable, and he was responding to a tweet that was threatening him for not covering the game (the tweet was deleted leaving John's reply out there with no context).

Plus he's had to deal with Reee sending shit to him and threatening him if he DOES cover the game. From the perspective of a person that doesn't even like the franchise of course he's going to lash out at getting shit for a game he's not even covering.

Don't start this smartass bullshit of comparing me to the other side. I didn't hunt him neither want anything bad for him. But he can't use his problem as a scapeboat everytime he blows out of proportion. As I said, if he feels pressure by something would be better to leave twitter or just take a time off internet. And thats me saying I have nothing against him not liking Harry Potter.

And lol, if he is threatened by retards of Reera why the heck would he attend demands from them? And you still have the idea of comparing me to them, what a generalization bullshit.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Based on everything I've seen so far, the game itself looks kinda boring. Pretty formulaic but with a pretty nice lick of paint and a nice theme. Combat also looks pretty monotonous.
Even so, I just love the fact that the woke crowd (mostly) failed with their cancel tactics for once, so have at it boys and girls.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Based on everything I've seen so far, the game itself looks kinda boring. Pretty formulaic but with a pretty nice lick of paint and a nice theme. Combat also looks pretty monotonous.
Even so, I just love the fact that the woke crowd (mostly) failed with their cancel tactics for once, so have at it boys and girls.

Nope.

NT80

OQsD9uG.gif

recma12

I've played like 10hrs now and yeah, Hogwarts doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything.
If you played some big AAA open world games in recent years, you will feel right at home.
That said, the Hogwarts setting works extremely well to contextualize the quests you get and the RPG elements.
Helps that Hogwarts is just one of the coolest places in gaming period. Broom is also fantastic for traversal.
This is really a game I can recommend to anyone, unless you have 0 connection to the HP franchise and hate AAA open world games.

You are wrong about the combat though. It does really look shit in videos but plays very well. It is basically Batman Arkham combat with magic and feels like an ongoing back and forth puzzle: spell, block, counterspell.
Not the best combat in open world gaming but it's nice, definately not a drawback.

YCoCg

And lol, if he is threatened by retards of Reera why the heck would he attend demands from them?
But he didn't? He just said at the time they didn't have a copy of the game and if they did he wouldn't be reviewing it, lo and behold, they got a copy of the game and it's Oliver doing a video on it. Nothing John said was wrong or false.

Moneal

But he didn't? He just said at the time they didn't have a copy of the game and if they did he wouldn't be reviewing it, lo and behold, they got a copy of the game and it's Oliver doing a video on it. Nothing John said was wrong or false.
Why not just say we, as in DF, will review it if we get a code? Why the whole I ain't reviewing it. He has DF in his bio right? He is a representative of them and the most vocal/well known rep. He never even had to bring up hating the game or open world or anything.

Saber

Gold Member

Then why the fuck even waste my time mention that Ree threat him? Why are you even putting him not making a video in the discussion since in no way I believed they wouldn't not covering the game? Are you trolling me?

I somehow knew they would covered the game, there was a thread about that and I even questioned the OP saying that the fact that John wasn't covering the game doesn't mean others like Oliver or Tom couldn't. The point here is the tamtrun John made, which I believe it was unnecessary.

YCoCg

Why not just say we, as in DF, will review it if we get a code? Why the whole I ain't reviewing it. He has DF in his bio right? He is a representative of them and the most vocal/well known rep. He never even had to bring up hating the game or open world or anything.
Because they've each said in the past whether they'll be covering specific games or not, why does this specific game need special treatment?

The point here is the tamtrun John made, which I believe it was unnecessary.
Did you see the post he was replying to? The one that threatened him and said they'd send people to his house again, because he chose to not review a game.

oji-san

Banned
Lol some people are so naive, like the fact Eurogamer ignore this game exists doesn't tell you what happened with the Digital Foundry situation?
Yeah it's only because they didn't get a code.. yeah right.
Anyhow they are obviously can do whatever they want but the whole gaming sites way of treating Hogwarts Legacy has made me clear that most of them are not professional.

MiguelItUp

Not surprised at all, the game was clearly made with a ton of passion. The devs behind the game feel like big time fans of the universe and it's very, very apparent. I'm happy for them, truly, considering the game was in development for a long while.

nikos

As for paying for the game, why? They usually get keys for big games, in fact it's only the indie stuff that they sometimes pay for and again that's John who does so to show people games like Ion Fury, etc.

Without offering my personal opinion, one of the most basic fundamentals of running a business is investing in it. Using not getting a free review code as an excuse for not covering a massive game raises multiple questions about their integrity and how they run their business. It's their business though.

Last edited:

klosos

This does look great, even tho i don't like harry Potter ( more of a LOTR/ Warhammer guy myself). i think i will leave this for a few months and grab it on sale.

Top Bottom