• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

Mossybrew

My one gripe is probably the chest loot. The chests are worthless because the loot sucks. The algorithm should give you one minimally higher stat gear every so often. The chests seem worthless otherwise.
It's pretty random but I definitely got some upgrades out of chests. Though as you approach level 30 and beyond, actual upgrades become a lot more rare, at least it seemed to me.

Hi guys, could you perhaps help me vote on a bug that I have a hard time getting looked at.

Here is the issue: "Adjusting camera horizontally when flying on the broom has a VERY large deadzone making it impossible to make minor camera adjustments and it feels more like a digital control and only react once you push the stick left or right to around 80~90%. This behavior is completely different from flying a beast or when controlling the character on the ground. This makes flying feel very unpleasant and rigid."

If you can, please go over to wbgames bug reporting, my post is this one here and vote on the issue to it gets looked at. I think most people don't realize this is a not intended and is a bug making broom flight horribly unpleasant and difficult. https://hogwartslegacy.bugs.wbgames.com/bug/HL-8337
That‘s not a bug. This is a bug:

No. I didn't get close to all of them. I finished the collection for only hogwarts and still missed a ton in hogwarts.
That's great. I found the pages at Hogwarts, but not all of the ones at hogsmead. No way in hell am I searching the outlier hamlets for those things...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does the game ever stop telling you to "Equip better gear to fight higher level enemies" or whatever? It still tells me this EVERY SINGLE BATTLE. And yes, I have been equipping better gear all throughout.

I know you can turn off messages in general, but I don't want to turn off item pickup messages etc, just this annoying crap.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hi guys, could you perhaps help me vote on a bug that I have a hard time getting looked at.

Here is the issue: "Adjusting camera horizontally when flying on the broom has a VERY large deadzone making it impossible to make minor camera adjustments and it feels more like a digital control and only react once you push the stick left or right to around 80~90%. This behavior is completely different from flying a beast or when controlling the character on the ground. This makes flying feel very unpleasant and rigid."

If you can, please go over to wbgames bug reporting, my post is this one here and vote on the issue to it gets looked at. I think most people don't realize this is a not intended and is a bug making broom flight horribly unpleasant and difficult. https://hogwartslegacy.bugs.wbgames.com/bug/HL-8337

Here is a video showing the camera deadzone bug:

I don't think it's a bug, but I do agree it's very annoying and makes flying feel terrible (together with the poor flight control scheme in general).

I'll vote for it.

JeloSWE

I don't think it's a bug, but I do agree it's very annoying and makes flying feel terrible (together with the poor flight control scheme in general).

I'll vote for it.
It's highly unlikely it's per design as flying on the mount doesn't suffer this issue. A bug is just anything that isn't as intended, even if it isn't breaking the game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's highly unlikely it's per design as flying on the mount doesn't suffer this issue. A bug is just anything that isn't as intended, even if it isn't breaking the game.

I think the left stick deadzone is also too large when flying though, making it hard to make light turns. But maybe not as bad as what you're describing.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I wanted to platinum the game so I played through every house to get their respective trophies, I like that each house has their own unique quest early on, Hufflepuff’s takes you to
Azkaban, and there are Dementors
So disappointed that they designed and animated them and only used them for this one really short quest, exclusive the Hufflepuff of all houses.

The fuck, you have to beat this game four times to plat it?!

My one gripe is probably the chest loot. The chests are worthless because the loot sucks. The algorithm should give you one minimally higher stat gear every so often. The chests seem worthless otherwise.
Must of been lucky since I keep getting upgrades from chests, only level 22 though.

I found a way to cheese the combat system, I've made every pieces of my armor with + incendio damage traits and also took the talent for incendio AoE damage. I basically one hit kill everything. Ill have to change that, it makes the game totally trivial.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The fuck, you have to beat this game four times to plat it?!

If you've got PS+ you can abuse cloud saves to do it much faster. Otherwise you're playing about 6 more hours to get sorted into each other house.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If you've got PS+ you can abuse cloud saves to do it much faster. Otherwise you're playing about 6 more hours to get sorted into each other house.

The sorting happens like 15 minutes in or something if you skip cutscenes, and then you have to do the rest with each house anyway right? So I don't see how save scumming would even help much.

yamaci17

The sorting happens like 15 minutes in or something if you skip cutscenes, and then you have to do the rest with each house anyway right? So I don't see how save scumming would even help much.
you can save scum once to skip tutorial once additionally

once you sorted into a house, create a manual save (for example: sort into hufflepuff, manual save in your common room)
now load one or two autosave back, that will put you back to the sorting ceremony hopefully, then force yourself into a different house, such as gryffindor. manual save in common room again.

now you have two different manual saves with two different houses in one character. this allows you to skip tutorial once

it helps bcoz if you want my honest opinion first 15 20 minutes are really tedious with forced in game cutscenes + first initial phase of learning stuff. at least after that u just run around lol

Last edited:

dok1or

Some Engine.ini tweaks; global illumination, volumetric fog, draw distance...

52723180518_aace3c4df8_z.jpg
52723103240_82121e00e2_z.jpg
52722388875_981990cd75_z.jpg

Last edited:
Finally finished it. I kinda expected this but yeah very overrated due to all the positive people buying it just to spite the trashy peoply. Story was ok at best, decent start, decent ending but middle part was boring as hell and the only redeemable storyu was the Sebastian one and thats a side quest lol. Gameplay was very mixed as well, combat is nice, I liked pulling combos and stuff, can get really crazy later in the game but thats about all the good. It has the same generic garbage open world shit I did not expected to find such as doing a million merlin shits, collect shit, pop ballons shit, solve brain dead math puzzles a million times shit, etc. Just dreadful all around. Atmosphere is great but again as expected it was kinda half-assed, hogwarts is nice and has a ton of details and I loved all the random encounters but the problem is you are not impacted by them, its just some passive stuff u notice, unlike in RDR2 for example. At night students vanish into thin air, no one is in the dorms sleeping and a lot of incomplete attemps at making a good atmosphere. I just never felt in awe exploring hogwarts as I expected to be. Felt very VERY gamey and repetitive. Same for surrounding areas that are just fucking dead. Also all you fight in the game are spider trolls and goblins 90% of the time. The world of HP has so many incredible beasts and stuff but thats all they could throw at you nonstop. Performance for a next-gen game only and visuals was not that great either. SSR was hugely nerfed to make RT reflections shine which also cause a ton of issues and frame drops. I could go on but overall my experience was almost ok.

7/10

ABeezy1388

Just finished the main story and have most everything wrapped up. Solid game! Like others mentioned some of the charm wears off after a while but overall I really enjoyed it.

Going to go for 100% / Platinum trophy. Only need some of the collection stuff within hogwarts. Going to be a pain in the ass trying to find it…

Dunkelgrau

The game leaves me a bit perplexed. I'm currently on level 10, so still relatively at the beginning: It's technically outdated (PS5), the battle system is below average and the story isn't really great either.

Will it get better or can I stop right now?

anthony2690

Banned
I am 31/32 sidequests, how the hell do I find the last one? I even did all the Hogwarts secrets.
I guarantee well well well is the one you're missing, as it was the only one I was missing. :)

Loved everything about the game.

My only real gripe is a lack of enemy variety, I would've like to have seen some more different enemies.

zkorejo

Finally completed the dadelion keys and demuguise moon unlock 3.

All three beast rooms unlocked. I have every beast required for upgrading except for graphorn and fwooper. Not sure where they are located but I might go look for them in my next playthrough.

Once that's done I will then focus on story/side missions.

Ravenclaw robe you unlock is pretty good. Wish it had a hoodie attached to it though.

It shouldn't take x30 seconds to wait for a single potion. But when WB cited 'engagement' levels as a metric in their recent press release, I began to wonder whether these design decisions are purely an attempt to pump up figures like this. I've put an awful lot of time to merely brewing potions while doing nothing else but wait for the timer.

The gear management system is insufferable. The game encourages you to explore and interact with chests, but you're then forced to destroy prior gear, meaning you have to go back-and-forth between the layers of menus just to pick up an item.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The gear management system is insufferable. The game encourages you to explore and interact with chests, but you're then forced to destroy prior gear, meaning you have to go back-and-forth between the layers of menus just to pick up an item.

I always make sure to sell off everything I'm not wearing before starting any quest that seems like it might be a more significant one (and also any time I happen upon a merchant). And do the Merlin trials of course.

yamaci17

It shouldn't take x30 seconds to wait for a single potion. But when WB cited 'engagement' levels as a metric in their recent press release, I began to wonder whether these design decisions are purely an attempt to pump up figures like this. I've put an awful lot of time to merely brewing potions while doing nothing else but wait for the timer.
just move on with the game, there will be more stuff to do within the room of requirements. then you can create a flow chain where u go to do other stuff while ur pots are brewing

as the other user said, just sell'em

drganon

Beat the main quest and the 3 main relationship quest lines. Gave up on getting the house cup, the grind to get to level 34 was getting tedious.

Esppiral

If the game is being released as a separate sku for the old gen, why does the Series X game pakage name says "dualgen disk"? sounds sus.

fA3l1Hx.png

luca_29_bg

While i'm playing the game, in the last week, with over 45 hours of playing time, my ps5 shut off and i have to remove the power cord to get it on again, it happens only with this game, many other people on reddit have the same problem, it's happened to someone here maybe ? I'm afraid to play more because i don't want to get corrupted data cause by the suddenly shut off of the console! I will wait for a patch! :(

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Finally done with the main narrative and side quests. I think the game goes slow after that amazing intro, and only a bit further in it truly opens up and ends up being a very good Harry Potter videogame.

I can't deny that there are some slighty things that I twisted my nose a bit, in terms of junkiness (invisible barriers unabling jumping over, npc look-alikes on Hogwarts, enemy variety, etc) , but overall Avalanche managed to do an amazing game based on an extremely popular franchise and created an amazing foundation for the future.

It had everything to fail, but they stood up to the challenge and did a really solid job here.

Combat is extremely good and fun (pulling that Aveda kevadra on multiple cursed enemies is amazing), spell variety is good enough for a first game, although the way you learn them could be more creative.

Narrative is entertaining as it is, with some highs and lows. Main antagonist is not that interesting in my opinion.

Poppy Sweeting and Sebastian arcs are really good.

Was expecting Isidora to eventually show up or either Prof. Fig to do heel plot twist reveal, but no. Uninteresting goblin until the very end.

Kind wish our created character could progress to the sequel. Became fond with my creation.

Last edited:
Can't remember if I have posted recently. Got the "blueprints" for large plant pots and potion stations. What a difference it has made! I'm drowning in potions and plants now :D

I'm only on the main quest where you go to beast classes and i bought this game to play it early :messenger_grinning_sweat: I've not had a lot of time to play and when I do I play so slowly. I'm trying not to rush the main quest because I'm about over half way in now and I don't want it to end. I don't want to finish the main story and have loads of stuff left to do. I am focusing more on side content and progressing the story whenever I feel like it. Finally there is a game that doesn't feel like it's forcing me to play the main quest constantly. I'm happy to chill and explore everywhere.

What is really pissing me off now is these demiguise statues. I need just one more so I can unlock higher Alohomora locks. I might just go look at a guide to find a quick easy one. It's a pain in the ass that you have to wait until night time to collect them.

Moneal

Can't remember if I have posted recently. Got the "blueprints" for large plant pots and potion stations. What a difference it has made! I'm drowning in potions and plants now :D

I'm only on the main quest where you go to beast classes and i bought this game to play it early :messenger_grinning_sweat: I've not had a lot of time to play and when I do I play so slowly. I'm trying not to rush the main quest because I'm about over half way in now and I don't want it to end. I don't want to finish the main story and have loads of stuff left to do. I am focusing more on side content and progressing the story whenever I feel like it. Finally there is a game that doesn't feel like it's forcing me to play the main quest constantly. I'm happy to chill and explore everywhere.

What is really pissing me off now is these demiguise statues. I need just one more so I can unlock higher Alohomora locks. I might just go look at a guide to find a quick easy one. It's a pain in the ass that you have to wait until night time to collect them.
On the statues, the hard to find ones are all in hogwarts, and there are a few in Hogsmead that require lvl2 lockpicking. Each of the smaller towns have one in them and most of them just need lvl 1 lockpicking or none at all. If you focus on those you can almost finish the highest level. Definitely check the southern section of the map too.

On the statues, the hard to find ones are all in hogwarts, and there are a few in Hogsmead that require lvl2 lockpicking. Each of the smaller towns have one in them and most of them just need lvl 1 lockpicking or none at all. If you focus on those you can almost finish the highest level. Definitely check the southern section of the map too.
I am currently trying to get 9 to give back to Professor Moon. The rewards say lock 2 and 3. Will I get both if I give him 9 statues? or do I need to collect more to unlock level 3?

I am currently trying to get 9 to give back to Professor Moon. The rewards say lock 2 and 3. Will I get both if I give him 9 statues? or do I need to collect more to unlock level 3?
9 for level 2 and uhm 15 for level 3 i think. So if you have the first 9, go give them to him so u can get lockpick lvl 2, else you wont be able to find the others.

Moneal

9 for level 2 and uhm 15 for level 3 i think. So if you have the first 9, go give them to him so u can get lockpick lvl 2, else you wont be able to find the others.

It's 9 for lvl 2 and 13 more for lvl 3.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The more I play, the less I want to play. It's just way too much stuff for a game like this and there's a lot of repetitive activities and dumb fetch quest (outside of the main story mission and some character related stuff, but not all). I mean, at first it was great and it is a good game, but then it starts to feel like I've done all this before billions of times already and nothing changes, even for Merlin trials there's only just a few different ones, same goes for other puzzles. Also, even though combat is somewhat good, it's starting to wear thin the more you play and gets repetitive. Loot is terrible in a way it gets generated - the same random BS as in Destiny with 90% worthless loot and only 10% good. I also starting to skip fights and loot stuff around, cuz it's just tedious af to fight the same enemies over and over again and even setting the game on Easy won't make you kill them faster.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the game unfortunately overstays its welcome for me personaly the more I play it. I have to move on for now and get back to it later. I wish they've done a more story-driven, linear and streamlined 20-25 hour game similar to Uncharted instead of another 100+ one.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

The more I play, the less I want to play. It's just way too much stuff for a game like this and there's a lot of repetitive activities and dumb fetch quest (outside of the main story mission and some character related stuff, but not all). I mean, at first it was great and it is a good game, but then it starts to feel like I've done all this before billions of times already and nothing changes, even for Merlin trials there's only just a few different ones, same goes for other puzzles. Also, even though combat is somewhat good, it's starting to wear thin the more you play and gets repetitive. Loot is terrible in a way it gets generated - the same random BS as in Destiny with 90% worthless loot and only 10% good.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the game unfortunately overstays its welcome for me personaly the more I play it. I have to move on for now and get back to it later. I wish they've done a more story-driven, linear and streamlined 20-25 hour game similar to Uncharted instead of another 100+ one.
I wholeheartedly agree. The initial hour was really good because it made you feel like you're going to play video game form of a Harry Potter movie. But then the open world tasks set in. I just lost motivation to keep playing. The clunky and stuttery implementation of UE4 also makes the more immersive elements less so because you're constantly reminded it's a fairly poorly coded game. Another victim of content bloat. Sad.

Top Bottom