• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

Filben

Started yesterday evening for an hour with the game. Not a Potter fan at all but liked the stories (from the movies) and atmosphere enough to enjoy them. So far I'm doing the same with the game. It looks fantastic (PS5 version) and I like the directing and overall vibes and atmosphere. I don't expect TW3 style side quests so it's not a deal breaker if it's not on par with that.

Euler007

What is really pissing me off now is these demiguise statues. I need just one more so I can unlock higher Alohomora locks. I might just go look at a guide to find a quick easy one. It's a pain in the ass that you have to wait until night time to collect them.
Just do it with a guide. With the fast travel and quick load times you'll knock the entirety of hogwarts and hogmeade statues in a few minutes, and the rest of the world in a few more minutes (depending on which floo flames you have unlocked). I did it because I didn't have to start keeping a log of where I'd have to go back with L2 locks. No regrets, I explored and found enough other things on my own. They're small to spot from a long distance with Revelio.

Pilgrimzero

LMAO. In what world is this a 10/10? This game has some of the dullest and offensively bad side quests since Days Gone. I'm sure I did one the other day which was just walking to talk to someone. The constant level gating for main quests is a pain in the ass, especially as the goals for learning new spells are basically MMO quality fetch quests.

If this wasn't a HP game, I'd struggle to give it above a 6.

And to think Horizon got slated last year for being 'A generic Ubisoft game'. That game had much better side content and respect for the player's time.

It's an enjoyable experience, it could be a lot better.
Having watched the review its a 10 "FOR HIM" because its the Potter game he always wanted and he finds it fun.

He admits there are issues. I have a list of issues myself, like using the Dark Arts should have a penalty.

But like Joe I Love the setting and the gameplay is fun. I might not rank it a 10 (Id give it a 9) but I can see where he's coming from and he explains his reasons just fine. Which boil down to, "Its fun and I've wanted a Potter game like this for years."

If it wasnt a Potter game and just some generic fantasy game, I'd probably give it a 6, but the setting definitely gives it a boost.

Manus

Man ever since the update on PC I've been getting crashes left and right. Was running semi decent on my 4080 until yesterday.

Especially with the ray tracing. Some of the lighting inside the castle now is just way to bright.

Pilgrimzero

Okay I beat it. Found the ending kind of... okay. Needed to be longer. I mean it literally pulls a "Dumbledore at the end of the first book/film" and then "You still have some widgets to find! Go find them!" Really needed more aftermath of Sabastian and his sister. The Goblin rights stuff. Maybe the Ministry showing up and being all "WTF just happened?"

I mean man it was just "You win, now find the all secrets!"

Still a great game and I kind of want to start anew with a Ravenclaw or Slytherin. Yeah it wont really be different from my Hufflepuff but Roleplaying-wise a different character...

Spaceman292

Banned
Having watched the review its a 10 "FOR HIM" because its the Potter game he always wanted and he finds it fun.

He admits there are issues. I have a list of issues myself, like using the Dark Arts should have a penalty.

But like Joe I Love the setting and the gameplay is fun. I might not rank it a 10 (Id give it a 9) but I can see where he's coming from and he explains his reasons just fine. Which boil down to, "Its fun and I've wanted a Potter game like this for years."

If it wasnt a Potter game and just some generic fantasy game, I'd probably give it a 6, but the setting definitely gives it a boost.
Anti fun

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Wut? I mean I get it if you think he's an idiot, but politically driven is quite a reach.

You know what? I'm probably wrong on that. I don't follow him that closely, but I thought I had remembered him leaning hard politically on a couple videos, but I'm not finding anything now so I'm sure I was wrong.

My apologies!

jm89

LMAO. In what world is this a 10/10? This game has some of the dullest and offensively bad side quests since Days Gone. I'm sure I did one the other day which was just walking to talk to someone. The constant level gating for main quests is a pain in the ass, especially as the goals for learning new spells are basically MMO quality fetch quests.

And to think Horizon got slated last year for being 'A generic Ubisoft game'. That game had much better side content and respect for the player's time.

Honestly the more I play it the more dissapointed I get.

Maybe my expectations were too high, but after the first few hours of being wowed by hogwarts, things drop off especially after you go in the outside world and do side stuff. What's worse is the main story isn't even anything to write home about.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Fq4DhcAWIAA367x.jpg

rofif

Banned

I am not a huge HP fan but I found the game uniquely relaxing. I never felt the need to hurry up or skip stuff.
It just felt good to play and looked good.

FunkMiller

I am not a huge HP fan but I found the game uniquely relaxing. I never felt the need to hurry up or skip stuff.
It just felt good to play and looked good.

I'm getting the same reaction to this game as I had to Power Wash Simulator. This is not a negative.

VN1X

Banned
Oh my... The first three minutes alone had me crying but the "This is Wakanda for whites" line destroyed me. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I hereby petition a thread subtitle change.

Last edited:
Finished this up last night.

Overall really solid 8 out of 10 game. The best things about it are the graphics, combat and music.

This is my favourite looking open world game. Yeah HFW and RDR2 might be technically better but I just love the aesthetic of this game. Especially all the little magical details. Exploring Hogwarts and Hogsmead at the start was magical pun intended. It has the best looking interior locations in an open world ever.

The music was excellent all tunes were really jolly and have stuck in my head.

The combat is probably the best licence game combat so far. It's great against multiple enemies when comboing spells together I enjoyed it for all of my 50 hours.. Its let down by limited enemy variety and shits the bed with 1 on 1 encounters. Understandly your stuns and unique spells don't work so they just turn into boring damage sponges.

Eventually the open world aspects got tiring but it was worth playing until the end.

People have said the further you get away from Hogwarts and Hogsmead the more Generic the open world feels I think this is fair

Overall 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍 out of 10

HelveticaBold

Neo Member
Did the latest patch improve performance on PS5? I have this in my backlog so I can wait until it runs smoothly. I know its in a pretty good state as is.

Zephyrus0

Banned
Feminism in 2023 is a man calling a woman who survived domestic violence the c-word for not wanting men to invade the women's rape shelters she's personally funding.
It's honestly insane to watch it unfold.
The woman had issue with how easy it would be to abuse self id. She wasn't against transpeople. She was against heterossexual men lying to get in those spaces. Especially in the UK where, by law, a woman isn't able to rape. Any non narcissist would see how ripe it was for abuse.
I did more than most and just spent 5 minutes reading her tweets back then. I saw her point and saw how vile these people actually were. For all their talk about tolerance and acceptance, these people have no issue assassinating an ally's character if it means they get their way. But these people never wanted allies. That word has always been code for servants.

belmarduk

Finally beat this wonderful game.
Its been pretty much confirmed that there will be DLC after it finishes releasing for last gen and switch.
Everybody wants quidditch, and yes that would be very cool.
I want more Sebastian and Anne quests though! It was kind of unresolved.

Even if Rookwood is dead, there has to be a way to undue the curse.

So does cyberpunk provide more bugs than HL? Feels like in every mission I encounter some broken shit that completely kills the atmosphere…

DarthPutin

I am still in the beginning story-wise (about to go on a second outing with Sebastian after the book thing), a lot of thoughts about the game, which could be close to perfect for me with better, more adult writing and more involved quests.

But for now I'd like to ask people who finished it if you'd advice me to go on hard? I am usually happy to finish a game on normal (Kena was kicking my ass), and I don't like to replay encounters too much, maybe like few times, so it feels like such a "try hard" move for me, to make life harder for myself for no reason. And it's not like I am sleepwalking through the combat.

However, my game of "rolling around like spazz spamming buttons" is on high level, so I don't die and I really feel no need to apply traits and use talents, thus not engaging with a lot of stuff... I am about to go on level 8 quest and I am level 18. Does the game get harder? Will there be some hardcore bosses or just limited space fights or something? How hard is hard?

Bragr

Banned
Question regarding PC.

I got it at launch, it ran like shit for me, the GPU got really hot and I refunded the game. DLSS had a minor impact. How has performanced been patched since launch? Big difference?

I am still in the beginning story-wise (about to go on a second outing with Sebastian after the book thing), a lot of thoughts about the game, which could be close to perfect for me with better, more adult writing and more involved quests.

But for now I'd like to ask people who finished it if you'd advice me to go on hard? I am usually happy to finish a game on normal (Kena was kicking my ass), and I don't like to replay encounters too much, maybe like few times, so it feels like such a "try hard" move for me, to make life harder for myself for no reason. And it's not like I am sleepwalking through the combat.

However, my game of "rolling around like spazz spamming buttons" is on high level, so I don't die and I really feel no need to apply traits and use talents, thus not engaging with a lot of stuff... I am about to go on level 8 quest and I am level 18. Does the game get harder? Will there be some hardcore bosses or just limited space fights or something? How hard is hard?
You can change the difficulty whenever you want so it doesn't matter.

that's actually fucking insane. the game has only been out for just over a month and it's still to come out on PS4/XB1 and Switch.

Does anyone know how to get rid of DEV_PlaceholderReward_desc? It appears as a sellable item at every vendor and it‘s kinda annoying.
Wait for a patch where the devs fix or remove it. or just ignore it.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
A heads up; the Deluxe Edition for PS5 is available at Amazon.de for €84.99. Grab it quick before it sells out again ;)

Edit: welp, sold out again already.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
that's actually fucking insane. the game has only been out for just over a month and it's still to come out on PS4/XB1 and Switch.

Wait for a patch where the devs fix or remove it. or just ignore it.

And i'm sure there's a buttload of people who are waiting for some discount before buying... like me.

BTW gorgeous boycott! :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I feel like an idiot. I'm stuck on a quest where you go to a castle. Can't remember the name of it but it's with Natsai Onai (im in Hufflepuff) around the same time you visit the Slytherin dudes sister and do Astronomy class.

I need to open the gate but can't figure it out. I know I'm doing something stupid but I was there for about 5-10 minutes trying to get it lol. I blasted the spinning thing and tried arresto momentum and glacius to freeze it. There is a hook thing to use accio on but I can't target it quick enough.

Gerdav

I feel like an idiot. I'm stuck on a quest where you go to a castle. Can't remember the name of it but it's with Natsai Onai (im in Hufflepuff) around the same time you visit the Slytherin dudes sister and do Astronomy class.

I need to open the gate but can't figure it out. I know I'm doing something stupid but I was there for about 5-10 minutes trying to get it lol. I blasted the spinning thing and tried arresto momentum and glacius to freeze it. There is a hook thing to use accio on but I can't target it quick enough.
You need to just keep blasting it continuously with depulso if it’s the quest I’m thinking about.

Last edited:

Power Pro

I finally finished Hogwarts Legacy myself. As a Harry Potter fan, this really is a dream game. Avalanche really did a hell of a job for their first time doing a game of this scale. Now that's not to say it's perfect. Still suffers of being yet another open world game, and kinda repetitive in spots because of that. However it still is just a damn good game on the whole. Very well made, and engaging enough from a story perspective.

I did try to do as much as I could...although I'm still missing one side quest, and no friggin' idea which one it is, or where it is. No big deal I guess. I think there's a lot of room to grow for a sequel for sure. Would've been nice if it did have some actual morality system where my behaving like an asshole sometimes meant something, but I'm willing to forgive it since it is their first go at this kind of game, and for how well done every thing else is.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

What did you end up doing? I think the game is pretty easy overall, so while I started it on Normal, I put it on Hard after several hours.

Raven117

Gold Member
Not gonna lie, lads. I'm 30 + hours in and fucking bored.

The central story isn't compelling enough, and the side quests have all fallen into that familiar, repetitive formula that plagues open world games.
I actually thought it got better about then. (Sebastian side quests… main story).

I very much have enjoyed my time with the game and looking forward to where they go next.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not gonna lie, lads. I'm 30 + hours in and fucking bored.

The central story isn't compelling enough, and the side quests have all fallen into that familiar, repetitive formula that plagues open world games.
Im in the same boat. The combat is fantastic. The castle is wonderful, but my goodness the open world and story missions are bland as fuck.

I am continuously skipping dialogues and dread playing story missions because they are so goddamn boring.

Freeman76

The game leaves me a bit perplexed. I'm currently on level 10, so still relatively at the beginning: It's technically outdated (PS5), the battle system is below average and the story isn't really great either.

Will it get better or can I stop right now?

Give up now. If you arent mesmerised by the first 5 hours of this game nothing will save you

FunkMiller

Im in the same boat. The combat is fantastic. The castle is wonderful, but my goodness the open world and story missions are bland as fuck.

I am continuously skipping dialogues and dread playing story missions because they are so goddamn boring.

The story is bollocks. Has absolutely no real direction, no sense of urgency, stakes or drama. Main missions feel as important as side ones. In fact, they feel less important half the time. Feels like they knew they couldn't actually do a story that changed anything within the wizarding world, so it's all a bit wheel spinning. Shame. The game has such a strong start... but becomes pretty aimless after multiple hours.

Fuck this game and its stupid trophy preventing bugs, I collected every little horseshit collectible in the entire game, took me 80 hrs+ and yet due to some shitty ass bugs I can‘t get all the collections, I swear to god that was the last time I‘ll be an early adopter for an open world game. Fuck this crap, every studio regardless how big should get lynched for not getting their shit together and releasing software that‘s so broken like this piece of shit.

Top Bottom