• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy PC Performance Thread

sacodebasura

Neo Member
It's probably this one, some games don't like it. Just delete it.

r.ShaderPipelineCache.SetBatchMode=fast
it was this line that made the game not start for me. r.ShaderPipelineCache.Save
ok after doing that, it now always loads the shaders anew, on every start.
i deleted this lines and now everything is loading normal again.

r.CompileShadersForDevelopment=0
r.D3D.ForceShaderConductorDXCRewrite=1
r.ShaderPipelineCache.PreOptimizeEnabled=1
r.ShaderPipelineCache.MaxPrecompileTime=500
r.ShaderPipelineCache.SaveUserCache=1
r.ShaderPipelineCache.Enabled=1
r.ShaderPipelineCache.LogPSO=1
r.ShaderPipelineCache.SaveBoundPSOLog=1
r.ShaderPipelines=1

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
ok after doing that, it now always loads the shaders anew, on every start.
i deleted this lines and now everything is loading normal again.

r.CompileShadersForDevelopment=0
r.D3D.ForceShaderConductorDXCRewrite=1
r.ShaderPipelineCache.PreOptimizeEnabled=1
r.ShaderPipelineCache.MaxPrecompileTime=500
r.ShaderPipelineCache.SaveUserCache=1
r.ShaderPipelineCache.Enabled=1
r.ShaderPipelineCache.LogPSO=1
r.ShaderPipelineCache.SaveBoundPSOLog=1
r.ShaderPipelines=1

Those lines are to force shaders to pre compile at start, since lots of UE4 games don't do it.
But I guess that in a game that is already setup to pre compile shaders, it causes does it every time.

Asides from that, how is performance using this config?

sacodebasura

Neo Member
Those lines are to force shaders to pre compile at start, since lots of UE4 games don't do it.
But I guess that in a game that is already setup to pre compile shaders, it causes does it every time.

Asides from that, how is performance using this config?

i would say its a bit better, could be just placebo, but it feels more consistent. there are still drops when entering a new zone and random stutter all around. whats gone are the biiig random fps drops and that makes the game finally playable for me.

Last edited:

Guwop

Neo Member
PleasingSoreDeer-size_restricted.gif

[/URL]
Cry more.

Sybrix

This is probably the first game where 32 GB of RAM is basically required for a good experience.

You're right.

I just added 2x 8GB RAM bringing my total to 32gb and the game runs a lot smoother.

However the game crashes often now.

When i was playing it with 16gb RAM i never had a single crash.

Any idea why this is happening?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's worth also probably noting that those that are memory restricted probably have lower GPU memory graphics cards. I still do think that even if I have 64 GB of system memory and 24 of GPU memory, there is other elements at play but I'm glad to see some of the tweaks or simply adding more memory is working for some.

Some of these issues are really isolated from a game to game basis so I hope those of us that are even betterants have the patience to deal with this as I don't recall ever not having to tweak or do little things like this although generally you want the games just to work without doing much of anything.

You're right.

I just added 2x 8GB RAM bringing my total to 32gb and the game runs a lot smoother.

However the game crashes often now.

When i was playing it with 16gb RAM i never had a single crash.

Any idea why this is happening?
Did you buy the same Ram? You’re Ram speeds and timings should all be the same.

GHG

Fake frames are the best frames:

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/hogwarts_legacy_pc_performance_review_settings_guide/5

DLSS Frame Generation is a great add-on for this CPU-limited game.

If you have ready page 3 of this performance analysis, you will know that Hogwarts Legacy is very CPU-limited. As such, the prospect of DLSS Frame Generation will be music to the ears of anyone who has a high refresh rate gaming display.

Strangely, we could not enable DLSS Frame Generation with Nvidia's DLAA (Deep Learning Anti-Aliasing) technology, which is a shame given how CPU performance limited this game can be with an RTX 4090. To enable DLSS Frame Generation, we needed to use DLSS Super Resolutionin quality mode, despite the fact that we did not need any performance gains from DLSS Super Resolution.

DLSS 3 in action

In Hogwarts Legacy, DLSS 3 does exactly what its supposed to do, act as a framerate doubler with AI generated frames that can dramatically impact Hogwarts Legacy's smoothness. With DLSS 3, we can bypass the CPU limitations of Hogwarts Legacy and keep this game at above 120 FPS at 4K Ultra settings at pretty much all times. That's great news for anyone who has a 4K 120Hz monitor or TV.

As you can see, at 4K Hogwarts Legacy is entirely CPU limited with our RTX 4090 in our Hogsmeade test area, with DLSS 2 having no major performance impact. DLSS 3 and its AI generated frames changes that, giving us a smoother gameplay experience.

THe only thing they have wrong is the fact that you can enable frame gen without needing to use DLSS upscaling.

winjer

Gold Member
Wont setting r.Tonemapper.Quality= to 0 disable everything and setting it to 1 just disable the vignette and 2 enable everything? i always used it that way, am i dumb?

From the UE4.27 help:

r.Tonemapper.Quality

Defines the Tonemapper Quality in the range 0..5
Depending on the used settings we might pick a faster shader permutation
0: basic tonemapper only, lowest quality
1: + FilmContrast
2: + Vignette
3: + FilmShadowTintAmount
4: + Grain
5: + GrainJitter = full quality (default)

As you can see, there are more settings to it.
Now if someone wants to disable all of them, except Fim Contrast, that is a different story.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Alright. So put in 32GB and wow, the RAM usage went up from 12GB straight to 22GB in non RT mode. RT mode goes over 24 GB. Im on a 3080 running or trying to run the game at 4k dlss quality so i guess they expected i would have a 32 GB setup??

That said, I did not see a performance uplift. I reduced DLSS to performance mode and RT settings from ultra to high and started getting 58-60 fps after getting only 30 fps inside hogwarts and around 50-55 fps in hogsmead, and finally approaching 95% GPU utilization but it STILL randomly drops frames all the way down to 30 fps. I had figured increasing RAM wouldve stopped those sudden drops.

The game is just plain broken in RT mode. At least its a locked 60 fps in non RT mode with DLSS quality at 4k after making those changes in the Engine file. I will try enabling only reflections and see if it can maintain 60 fps, but otherwise i will just settle for non-RT. And live with the fact that over half of my GPU is going underutilized.

Last edited:

GHG

MMaRsu MMaRsu it looks like I was on the right track when I mentioned your issues sounded like a memory leak. It's most likely you were just bouncing off the VRAM limit:

Conclusion

Hogwarts Legacy's PC version is a glorious mess, and we expect most PC gamers to need to struggle though this game's graphical options to achieve solid framerates. Let's face it, most of us own a graphics card with less than 12GB of memory, and that means that Hogwarts Legacy's highest texture settings are a no-go area, even if we are gaming at 1080p.

The first thing that we will say about Hogwarts Legacy here is this, you probably need to turn down this game's texture settings. If you have a 6GB GPU, 1080p at Medium texture settings is your best bet. If you have an 8GB GPU, 1080p High or 1440p Medium are good candidates. At 4K, you will need a 16GB GPU to not run into issues with Ultra textures. This game demands a lot of VRAM, and if it does not get it, framerates will spike hard. If you are having framerate issues, either in the form of consistently poor performance or sudden huge performance dips, you probably need to lower this game's texture settings.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/hogwarts_legacy_pc_performance_review_settings_guide/11

----

Alright. So put in 32GB and wow, the RAM usage went up from 12GB straight to 22GB in non RT mode. RT mode goes over 24 GB. Im on a 3080 running or trying to run the game at 4k dlss quality so i guess they expected i would have a 32 GB setup??

That said, I did not see a performance uplift. I reduced DLSS to performance mode and RT settings from ultra to high and started getting 58-60 fps after getting only 30 fps inside hogwarts and around 50-55 fps in hogsmead, and finally approaching 95% GPU utilization but it STILL randomly drops frames all the way down to 30 fps. I had figured increasing RAM wouldve stopped those sudden drops.

The game is just plain broken in RT mode. At least its a locked 60 fps in non RT mode with DLSS quality at 4k after making those changes in the Engine file. I will try enabling only reflections and see if it can maintain 60 fps, but otherwise i will just settle for non-RT. And live with the fact that over half of my GPU is going underutilized.

RT exasperates the CPU bottleneck issues in this game. I'd say it's probably not worth it unless you have a GPU capable of frame gen. In this game. You're not missing much anyway:

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/hogwarts_legacy_pc_performance_review_settings_guide/7
Ray Tracing - Making Hogwarts Legacy more CPU-limited

Ray tracing is an incredibly demanding feature to enable on PC, both in terms of CPU load and GPU load. In Hogwarts Legacy, our RTX 4090 graphics card is pretty much CPU-limited at all times at 4K, and enabling ray tracing makes matters worse.

With ray tracing's graphical impact being small in scope, my recommendation is to simple ignore it in Hogwarts Legacy. The graphical gains are not worth it, and in some areas graphics are downgrades in some aspects.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
MMaRsu MMaRsu it looks like I was on the right track when I mentioned your issues sounded like a memory leak. It's most likely you were just bouncing off the VRAM limit:

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/hogwarts_legacy_pc_performance_review_settings_guide/11

----

RT exasperates the CPU bottleneck issues in this game. I'd say it's probably not worth it unless you have a GPU capable of frame gen. In this game. You're not missing much anyway:

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/hogwarts_legacy_pc_performance_review_settings_guide/7
Rt reflections in hogwarts are great. Shadows don’t make much of a difference but they are better too. Outdoors i agree it’s not a big deal.

GymWolf

We need a fix
That will disable more settings than vignette.
To disable vignette, this is the command:

r.Vignette=0
Since you are basically a wizard with a wiener (a winjer), do you know a method to have sub ita and audio eng? like some copy\paste files into a folder tipe of fuckery...

I know it's possible because i did in other games where you can't chose the language of subs and audio independently.

winjer

Gold Member
We need a fix

Since you are basically a wizard with a wiener (a winjer), do you know a method to have sub ita and audio eng? like some copy\paste files into a folder tipe of fuckery...

I know it's possible because i did in other games where you can't chose the language of subs and audio independently.

I don't know about any command that can do that. And since UE4 games are cooked into pak files, it's probably impossible to change how files work.

BTW, the exe file you want to do the tweaks should be in the folder \Binaries\Win64

Fredrik

I love that the biggest game of the year and quite possibly the most interesting PC port ever in terms of bizarre optimization oddities and batshit crazy "fixes" people are posting can not be covered by noted Project Eve aficionado Alexander Batallia
What’s that all about? Are they doing the RE boycott over at DF?

kizito

RAM doesn't cause performance uplift. It reduces the need to access to the Hard Drive and swap files, so it would reduce stutter, but you would see framerate shooting up thanks to more ram.

Topher

Gold Member
Oh, had no idea. Aren’t they from the UK? Is UK also polarized on that trans stuff? Thought it was US politics. In my bubble up in the real snowy parts of Sweden I haven’t even seen one trans person in real life. Sorry for not understanding the commotion.
No. They didn’t get a review copy. Richard said they are doing the review.

Oh....they are? That's good then. Bad assumption on my part.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

It’s the rt. Just turn it off and everything else up. There is a lot of issues in general with rt on.

Brock2621

3080Ti here with 8700k and 32gb of ram, just ended up turning off RT and can set everything else to Ultra and be fine. RT is just so janked beyond usability it’s ridiculous

Topher

Gold Member
Remembered I had set the vsync on in the Nvidia control panel. Turned that off and no more 60fps cap. Only area I'm really seeing stuttering is in Hogsmeade. Everything else runs smooth even with RT on with 4080.

Mindman

I have a 3080 and a 3700x and this game never uses more than 50% of my GPU and won't hold 60 fps in Hogwarts. Really wish I could use that extra GPU power just sitting there...! 🙄

Captn

I have a 3080 and a 3700x and this game never uses more than 50% of my GPU and won't hold 60 fps in Hogwarts. Really wish I could use that extra GPU power just sitting there...! 🙄

Maybe go in the nvidia control panel and go to 3d settings. Add the .exe file and go to power management setting or something like that and put it to preferred maximum performance.

Might help. Not sure.

Got a 4090 and it runs at 97-99% usage.

Last edited:

Mindman

Maybe go in the nvidia control panel and go to 3d settings. Add the .exe file and go to power management setting or something like that and put it to preferred maximum performance.

Might help. Not sure.

Did that but thanks for the suggestion regardless. Blows my mind how different this game is on different systems...

That will disable more settings than vignette.
To disable vignette, this is the command:

r.Vignette=0
This did not turn off Vignette for me! What am i doing wrong? It should be in the "gameusersettings" right?

Edit: Tested adding it to engine.ini, still not working.

Last edited:

sertopico

Fake frames are the best frames:

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/hogwarts_legacy_pc_performance_review_settings_guide/5

THe only thing they have wrong is the fact that you can enable frame gen without needing to use DLSS upscaling.
Absolutely. Without FG I wouldn't be able to play decently since I own a 10700k paired with a 4090. I tried the game with no DLSS and FG at 1440p (so even more CPU limited) and overall it was performing really badly, in some rooms inside of the castle it went down to 47 (!!!) fps. Stuttering was also back and it felt extremely laggy.

So these fake frames are a godsend in scenarios like mine, but also on systems with more powerful cpus. The only downside is that you got to do constantly lots of frames or the high latency will kick in ruining the... magic.

PS: frame generation will indeed wotk with DLAA on. All you have to do is enabling dlss, then enable fg, then disable dlss again and enable dlaa. the option will stay on despite the fact it's greyed out.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

sertopico

Might help. Not sure.

It won't. He's CPU limited.

GymWolf

Absolutely. Without FG I wouldn't be able to play decently since I own a 10700k paired with a 4090. I tried the game with no DLSS and FG at 1440p (so even more CPU limited) and overall it was performing really badly, in some rooms inside of the castle it went down to 47 (!!!) fps. Stuttering was also back and it felt extremely laggy.

So these fake frames are a godsend in scenarios like mine, but also on systems with more powerful cpus. The only downside is that you got to do constantly lots of frames or the high latency will kick in ruining the... magic.

PS: frame generation will indeed wotk with DLAA on. All you have to do is enabling dlss, then enable fg, then disable dlss again and enable dlaa. the option will stay on despite the fact it's greyed out.
How do you know it's on when greyed out?

The other method i heard was to turn on dlss in the upscaling menu but then select dlss off in the menu just under it where you choose quality, balanced, perf etc.

Last edited:

sertopico

How do you know it's on when greyed out?

The other method i heard was to turn on dlss in the upscaling menu but then select dlss off in the menu just under it where you choose quality, balanced, perf etc.
It's called empirical method supported by a FPS counter.

Just turn FG off and enable DLSS or nothing at all, and then try doing as I wrote above.

Bojji

You can use that power, increase resolution (dsr?) or in game settings to max out GPU while still having the same frame rate, but don't enable RT as it will kill your CPU performance even more.

winjer

Gold Member
This did not turn off Vignette for me! What am i doing wrong? It should be in the "gameusersettings" right?

Edit: Tested adding it to engine.ini, still not working.

Did you put it under:

[/script/engine.renderersettings]

Last edited:

yamaci17

You can use that power, increase resolution (dsr?) or in game settings to max out GPU while still having the same frame rate, but don't enable RT as it will kill your CPU performance even more.
that's the problem, the freaking low vram budget is disallowing of increasing resolution or settings. any setting can seemingly increase vram usage. and most settings are not even that hard on rasterization to begin with

Top Bottom