• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy Review Prediction Thread

Where does the review average land for Hogwarts Legacy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
With final previews up this morning, we finally got some in-depth hands on impressions of the game. And I'd say it's looking very promising.

With that said, the game appears to be very ambitious, it's the first AAA game from this particular developer so I'm expecting some jank and lack of polish here-and-there, and outside of a few games like Witcher 3, Elden Ring, and RDR 2, modern open world games have a very tough time cracking that upper echelon of review averages.

I'm predicting a very solid 81 MC/OC average, and I think the game will be a HUGE hit among common consumers, both in sales and in general enthusiasm towards the game.

What's your prediction, GAF?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
High. I reckon the outlets taking some sort of "stance" just won't review it and it won't aggregate.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I would hope that those that would show bias against the game will be boycotting it, and those that actually play the game review it fairly.

We'll see, I guess!
Animated GIF

kikkis

I dont know. Video game stories are rarely good, gameplay looks ok, but is it challenging and fun? World aspect looks the best part, but is it enough to carry the game.

Saber

Gold Member
75~74

The game will be great and fun, I'm even risking saying it could be one of best "Harry Potter" games ever made.

Problem is that most well know reviewers are full of clowns and will take opportunity of the drama to false accuse J.K(even though she has nothing to do it, because who needs doing research these days?)in order to downplay the game and make political statements against it to make sound like people should boycott it. IGN already did on the preview and I'm pretty sure the bitch from Gamespot(who btw keep hurling insults at twitter) will give an unfair review.

In reason of that I believe the score will be like that, despite the positive reviews and worldwide sucess.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Bias will definitely lower the score. I'm not going to watch the preview videos but it does seem like a fully realized world.

I'll saw 78% and it would be around 85% if not for a few outlets

AmuroChan

Remember that scores from mainstream outlets are weighted more highly on MC. So assuming that most of those outlets will not review the game fairly, the smaller outlets are going to have to give this game 9s and 10s for the MC to be in the 80s.

Nankatsu

Haven't read much about the game, but I'm expecting a gorgeous open world to explore with some of the junkiness and uninterested content seen in latest Assassins Creed games. Which will be a curve ball in some sense.

Hope the narrative manages to maintain things interesting and sub-stories are legit solid lore and plot wise.

Something between 80-84.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I suspect it's one of those games that is impressive early on but can it stick the entire campaign?

I recon around an 80. Which is more than what I would say a week ago.

Ezekiel_

Banned
If reviewers have any credibility left, they would simply refuse to review instead of giving it a shitty score based on dubious reasons.

I think it might be high 70s / low 80s.

If all they manage to do is make 'The Sims' with a Harry Potter skin, it'll be a commercial success.

They have yet to sell me on the gameplay loop and narrative elements. I'm not a diehard Harry Potter universe fan though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Really hard to say given the developer track record and the media bias against JK Rowling.

If there is no media bias, i would say 80-84 based on the footage we've seen so far. otherwise, 70-74.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
75-79 but due to biast reviews, actual score would be mid 80's.

I mean it could be trash, but their not afraid to show the game, so I have high hopes.

Winter John

Gold Member
Just from the gameplay I saw I’d guess low 70s. Maybe 75 at highest. I find the whole situation weird as shit. Adults screaming at each other over kid‘s books. I can’t imagine screaming at other dudes about G.I Joe or Sesame Street, but I guess we live in a world where adults do that now

sumdumfuk

Banned
Around 80, but I fear all the woke reviewers from California will try to bash the game as much as they can for „transphobic” views of JK Rowling or whatever

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I would hope that those that would show bias against the game will be boycotting it, and those that actually play the game review it fairly.

We'll see, I guess!

You think that the same self-righteous twats on REE who spend thousands of dollars on the latest cell phone that is made with child labor are actually going to boycott this game? Every one of those retards are going to be playing this.

i guarantee it GIF

Gerdav

Somewhere between 70-80, the media have already showed, IGN in particular they will not review this properly, it’s how low they think they can score it without losing all credibility.

T4keD0wN

82 is my guess.
I half expect this game to "out-ubisoft formula" actual ubisoft games and i really hope i am wrong about this.

Last edited:

Ghost23

I think it’s going to get a lot of 8/10’s, maybe a few 9’s. Fun world and great combat, NPC’s are a bit lacking but the love put into the world and characters make up for it.

80 game score, probably will be within the 80s range. The game looks good.

The people that wants to boycott this game? IF they were really brave they would try to boycott Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, and Steam for having this game on their platforms and is putting money into Rowling's pockets. But we all know they wouldn't go there.

82...I think the world will be fun but it will suffer from the typical open world trappings, will be a good game tho. Just not spectacular. After I heard it has "bandit" camps kind of knew what we were in for.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
[T]he game appears to be very ambitious, it's the first AAA game from this particular developer so I'm expecting some jank and lack of polish here-and-there, and outside of a few games like Witcher 3, Elden Ring, and RDR 2, modern open world games have a very tough time cracking that upper echelon of review averages.

Who is owned by WB and under the umbrella of WB Games. If they were doing this as an independent developer with the license, sure, but there is no shortage of industry hands available at WB Games who Avalanche/Portkey Games could have consulted with - who also just happen have experience making combo-action-RPG's in an open-world environment.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Who is owned by WB and under the umbrella of WB Games. If they were doing this as an independent developer with the license, sure, but there is no shortage of industry hands available at WB Games who Avalanche/Portkey Games could have consulted with - who also just happen have experience making combo-action-RPG's in an open-world environment.

That's not a bad point, but in the end the leadership/vision/core development of the game comes from Portkey. It's no different than saying Ghostwire Tokyo should've been phenomenal because while it was developed by Tango Gameworks, they're owned by Bethesda and should have help from id, Arkane, and the talent behind Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

The reality is different though.

Still, I have high confidence that Hogwarts will be very good!

jaysius

Banned
They’re not allowing footage of the inventory screen and all we’ve seen is an “out dated” but totally still current screen that is indicative of a shitty loot grind type mechanic. Also they didn’t allow footage of potions class which has real world timers(as briefly shown before) which… stinks of F2P type “rush” mechanics that we haven’t heard of yet. I hope I’m wrong, but this is ultimately EA WB Interactive so don’t be shocked by anything shitty they ruin this potentially great game with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom