• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy | Review Thread

Meicyn

Gold Member
Apologies to bring this topic back to life. But after some feedback on how the PS5 or XSX (I'd prefer PS5 due to haptics & triggers) version run in the 60fps modes? I know its been getting quite a few patches over time so wondering how it is these days, specifically in 60fps mode? It had quite a lot of frame pacing issues etc reported on launch which put me off... how does it look in its performance mode too?

Cheers.
I haven’t played the game in some time but it ran pretty decent in performance mode on PS5, IMO. Foliage isn’t as dense as it is in fidelity or balanced, but combat feels infinitely better in 60ish frames, especially on the hard difficulty where counters are important and the window to do so is short.
h006d58.jpg

I would just ignore fidelity or balanced modes and just enjoy the gameplay in performance. It’s fun.

Where is the Nintendo switch versión???

Warner bros will give us another MEME like MK 1 xD
Supposed to be coming this holiday season. Genuinely curious what compromises they’re making.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I haven’t played the game in some time but it ran pretty decent in performance mode on PS5, IMO. Foliage isn’t as dense as it is in fidelity or balanced, but combat feels infinitely better in 60ish frames, especially on the hard difficulty where counters are important and the window to do so is short.
h006d58.jpg

I would just ignore fidelity or balanced modes and just enjoy the gameplay in performance. It’s fun.

Supposed to be coming this holiday season. Genuinely curious what compromises they’re making.
I want to see the maximum power that the Nintendo switch will offer us xD

King Dazzar

h006d58.jpg

Thanks mate. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was after - its on sale at the mo, so likely will pick up. Then go through whilst revisiting the full box set I've got on 4k blu-ray.
I respect his right to choose what he wants to review. But he sounds like a REEE and Kotaku had a baby in this post.
[EDIT] omg what year is this
lol, sorry, I brought the thread back to life from a few months ago. Wanted to know where we are with it these days - they've kept patching for some time at least into July.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Thanks mate. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was after - its on sale at the mo, so likely will pick up. Then go through whilst revisiting the full box set I've got on 4k blu-ray.

lol, sorry, I brought the thread back to life from a few months ago. Wanted to know where we are with it these days - they've kept patching for some time at least into July.
Nah man. balanced mode locked to 40fps is amazing.
Be sure to adjust controls. You have to minimize or maximise acceleration crap. I dont remember

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Nah man. balanced mode locked to 40fps is amazing.
Be sure to adjust controls. You have to minimize or maximise acceleration crap. I dont remember
Yeah I can do 40fps on my TV no probs, but generally still find it hard to adjust to compared to 60. Will defo bear it mind as a back up option though. Cheers.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Playing through the Switch version now in handheld. The pixel density definitely helps in terms of presenting a good enough image. It’s an impressive port.

I played on Series S on a 24.5 inch display and thought it looked worse on that to be honest.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Is that a real tweet? Jesus, I expected.....well, better I guess from him.
Yeah it was real at the time I think. He is a fucking reeeee fool apparently.
Now all of sudden he won't cover a new game with very interesting tech, first ever dlss3 use, rt on consoles, streaming around the castle and so on.
Suddenly DF is game reviewing channel even though this is not ubisoft open world game and they covered all of those

ADiTAR

Banned
Yeah it was real at the time I think. He is a fucking reeeee fool apparently.
Now all of sudden he won't cover a new game with very interesting tech, first ever dlss3 use, rt on consoles, streaming around the castle and so on.
Suddenly DF is game reviewing channel even though this is not ubisoft open world game and they covered all of those
But I think he just did the Switch DF video now, didn't he?

belmarduk

I feel this should be GOTY. Of course, inva normal year FFXVI and TOTK might win but people expected those to be great and Avalanche never released an AAA game before and boy did they deliver.

gow3isben

Game is mid no cap

If it wasn't for the politics shit I'll bet a lot of people who hate it would politely compliment it and a lot who love it would be indifferent to it

I'm a huge potter fan and asides from the wonder of Hogwarts castle itself (which I got tired off) I stopped playing mid-way through. Just couldn't get through it.

Very authentic and a passion project though I agree.

Stafford

Game is mid no cap

If it wasn't for the politics shit I'll bet a lot of people who hate it would politely compliment it and a lot who love it would be indifferent to it

I'm a huge potter fan and asides from the wonder of Hogwarts castle itself (which I got tired off) I stopped playing mid-way through. Just couldn't get through it.

Very authentic and a passion project though I agree.

Yeah I've been wondering if I should get it. I have enough MS rewards points now for it and it's in the BF sale now. But I often here that at first you are kinda blown away with how it all looks and stuff but once you get to the quests it's very repetitive. But still, there's only one way for me to find out.

Orbital2060

Something tells me the guy doesn’t have kids. Maybe for the better.
I think he does. Which doesnt have anything to do with why Harry Potter sucks, but since you mention it, its a damn shame that kids are stuck with trash like the Harry Potter books when they seatch for fantasy or want to read something. To say that the books are trash is being nice. I totally agree with Linnemans view on it, and he said it pretty well. No need for me to add anything to it. Not related to recent events, theyve just always been trash literature.

King Dazzar

If Linneman knew anything about hobbies and life. He would realise that anything that connects you back to something you enjoyed in your childhood is to be valued. Disliking Harry Potter is fine. But to post the reasoning in such an over the top angry rant, all due to it being "childish" is totally off. What an awful take. Next he'll be attacking Star Wars because its fictional and not real. He does say some down right stupid shit at times.

gow3isben

Yeah I've been wondering if I should get it. I have enough MS rewards points now for it and it's in the BF sale now. But I often here that at first you are kinda blown away with how it all looks and stuff but once you get to the quests it's very repetitive. But still, there's only one way for me to find out.

It is a polished Ubisoft game done well with a Harry Potter theme.

Objectively I don’t think I anyone can argue that.

If that speaks to you go for it.

It is a polished Ubisoft game done well with a Harry Potter theme.

Objectively I don’t think I anyone can argue that.

If that speaks to you go for it.
If you like Harry Potter, or just the idea of running around Hogwarts as a student sounds like fun, it is a great game. If you are looking for something that pushes the open-world RPG genre forward and breaks ground, like Elden Ring or BotW, do not go into this expecting that. It is a Harry Potter fan service game that is well-made and tailors to that group.

laynelane

If you like Harry Potter, or just the idea of running around Hogwarts as a student sounds like fun, it is a great game. If you are looking for something that pushes the open-world RPG genre forward and breaks ground, like Elden Ring or BotW, do not go into this expecting that. It is a Harry Potter fan service game that is well-made and tailors to that group.

I think they were pretty smart to do it that way. A lot of people, who have never read the books, have fallen in love with the HP universe through the game. There's so many reasons to stay true to the source material when making games based on books, comics, etc. and this is yet another one. I bet there's been an uptick in book sales accompanying the game's success too.

I think they were pretty smart to do it that way. A lot of people, who have never read the books, have fallen in love with the HP universe through the game. There's so many reasons to stay true to the source material when making games based on books, comics, etc. and this is yet another one. I bet there's been an uptick in book sales accompanying the game's success too.

Oh absolutely. Personally I quite liked the game and plan to return to it

Jayjayhd34

I've got a degree Psychology I'm 99% certain she doesn't believe word she saying and she's just trying to get famous for Internet views and likes the attention.

Top Bottom