• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy will launch on February 10, 2023 for PlayStation, Xbox, and PC.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Shame we didn't have a Harry Potter themed avatar bet for this being delayed.

I would of ended up with this.

ObrrpGB.jpg

this all GOW's fault no dev has the balls to drop near that game now
LOL. I don't think they considered GoW at all when they made their decision. There's plenty of room for other games this fall. GoW (I assume) is actually done. Hogwarts is not done. I really don't think it's any more complicated than that.

Last edited:
+ Mario Rabbids, Pokemon Violet/Scarlet.

Nintendo doing all the work this year.
I mean, PlayStation got Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, free DLC for Returnal, MLB The Show, The Last of Us Part I, God of War Ragnarok, console exclusives like Stray and SiFu, etc...

If anything it's 3rd party publishers (and Xbox) that are failing to deliver this year.

saintjules

what the fuck? its the perfect christmas time game... they really messed up

Understanding they need more time to polish, I'd agree that it would have fit well for Christmas. These kind of games that portray films also come out during this time.

I also don't get the moving away from GOW. Different genre of games?

The Zelda team reading your comment:
Screenshot-20220812-141159.png

I love NeoGAF.

Zelda is not bigger than Harry Potter.

not only is Harry Potter a bigger IP but its releasing on like 5 platforms.

EMBBUfJWsAAFczA

especially with zelda releasing on 6 year old hardware. It's gonna be tough for it to recapture the momentum part 1 had with no new hardware

Last edited:
I mean, PlayStation got Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, free DLC for Returnal, MLB The Show, The Last of Us Part I, God of War Ragnarok, console exclusives like Stray and SiFu, etc...

If anything it's 3rd party publishers (and Xbox) that are failing to deliver this year.

Can't deny that.

Still, Nintendo has the edge here:
- Triangle Strategy
- Kirby and the Forgotten Land
- Xenoblade Chronicles 3
- Pokemon Legends: Arceus
- Pokemon Violet/Scarlet
- Live a Live
- Splatoon 3
- Bayonetta 3
- Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
- Harvestella
- Fire Emblem Warriors
- Switch Sports
- Mario Strikers
- Dragon Quest Treasures

Not for everyone but that's an impressive line-up for 2022.

Tams

I'm having a hoot that people think a Harry Potter Open World RPG should have anything to worry about. If anything this game will overshadow Zelda.

Zelda is going to be bigger amongst the gaming community, but the Harry Potter community is just absolutely massive. That said, I don't know how many of the Harry Potter community are that interested in gaming, especially something not 'casual'.

You can be assured that pretty much everyone interested in Zelda is going to buy Breath of the Wild. Whether that will be more than the number of Potter fans that will translate into gamers... I have no idea.

*The mentally who dislike JK Rowling automatically discounted.

Kabelly

Zelda is going to be bigger amongst the gaming community, but the Harry Potter community is just absolutely massive. That said, I don't know how many of the Harry Potter community are that interested in gaming, especially something not 'casual'.

You can be assured that pretty much everyone interested in Zelda is going to buy Breath of the Wild. Whether that will be more than the number of Potter fans that will translate into gamers... I have no idea.

I don't know why you believe there is some big segmentation among people who like Harry Potter and also like gaming. Harry Potter has had "not casual" video games before. Weird argument. Gaming is bigger than ever and this is basically every Harry Potter fan's biggest wet dream.

With you being able to play as the four houses I wouldn't be surprised if this game blows up on twitch/youtube gaming for roleplaying.

edit: and at least for me, if it came down to choosing between Zelda or Harry Potter.... Zelda will wait.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Zelda is not bigger than Harry Potter.

not only is Harry Potter a bigger IP but its releasing on like 5 platforms.

EMBBUfJWsAAFczA

especially with zelda releasing on 6 year old hardware. It's gonna be tough for it to recapture the momentum part 1 had with no new hardware
the last zelda game, developed by NINTENDO, sold 28m copies only on one console. Zelda is BIGGER than HP in gaming. Also you gonna tell me these guys are developing a game with better mechanics than the most anticipated zelda game ever? The fact that I even have to argue this is mindblowing.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I mean I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan, I read the books as a teen growing up at they released, haven't seen all the movies or the newer none book ones. Or even played any of the older games, I think there was a creepy PS2 one with funny faces if I remember I did play, it wasent great.

However honesty between Hogwarts and a sequel to Breath of the Wild, I'm more interested in this, and with game consoles being more accessible than ever I honestly think this is going to do gang busters, but it will depend on the quality of the title.

Try not to forget this argument could be leveled against Shadows of Mordor but it became a huge hit in the gaming community because the game was good enough with an intresting and unique mechanic to draw in the gaming crowd. I honestly believe as WB has announced no fucking around with MTX and loot boxes this have a real chance of potentially recapturing that lightening in a bottle. Especially after what was shown in the trailers.

They could of course also just completely fuck this up, in a way the delay is a good sign their willing to not do that.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Damn... This was the one sure game I really wanted to play this year. 2022 was real crap for gaming. All these delayed games better release next year. No more excuses.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I mean I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan, I read the books as a teen growing up at they released, haven't seen all the movies or the newer none book ones. Or even played any of the older games, I think there was a creepy PS2 one with funny faces if I remember I did play, it wasent great.

However honesty between Hogwarts and a sequel to Breath of the Wild, I'm more interested in this, and with game consoles being more accessible than ever I honestly think this is going to do gang busters, but it will depend on the quality of the title.

Try not to forget this argument could be leveled against Shadows of Mordor but it became a huge hit in the gaming community because the game was good enough with an intresting and unique mechanic to draw in the gaming crowd. I honestly believe as WB has announced no fucking around with MTX and loot boxes this have a real chance of potentially recapturing that lightening in a bottle. Especially after what was shown in the trailers.

They could of course also just completely fuck this up, in a way the delay is a good sign their willing to not do that.
Ironic thing is this is the same thread full of people saying the game was delayed because of gow, when the last zelda game sold more than the last of gow.

Kabelly

the last zelda game, developed by NINTENDO, sold 28m copies only on one console. Zelda is BIGGER than HP in gaming. Also you gonna tell me these guys are developing a game with better mechanics than the most anticipated zelda game ever? The fact that I even have to argue this is mindblowing.
Breath of the Wild is a complete outlier in sales when it comes to Zelda.

It had a couple things going for it too:
launch of a brand new system
basically the only thing worth buying during that launch
and it's open world

Harry Potter is way bigger than Zelda and it's open world, and launching on way more systems , including the Switch.
If a hard ass game like Elden Ring can blow up by going open world, this game will mop the floor.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Breath of the Wild is a complete outlier in sales when it comes to Zelda.

It had a couple things going for it too:
launch of a brand new system
basically the only thing worth buying during that launch
and it's open world

Harry Potter is way bigger than Zelda and it's open world, and launching on way more systems , including the Switch.
If a hard ass game like Elden Ring can blow up by going open world, this game will mop the floor.
sorry, not going to trust your utter nonsense and judgment in video games when we are talking about a publisher like wb that is miss more than hits, and a developer that their last games were:

Toy story 3
Disney Infinity
and Cars 3.

VS

The F*****ing Zelda Team

Go and play some videogames, if you're hyped by pretty graphics alone, play some videogames.

Last edited:

Belthazar

I wonder if the Switch version will be silently canceled after it releases everywhere else... maybe it just isn't feasible and they don't want the backlash.

Can't deny that.

Still, Nintendo has the edge here:
- Triangle Strategy
- Kirby and the Forgotten Land
- Xenoblade Chronicles 3
- Pokemon Legends: Arceus
- Pokemon Violet/Scarlet
- Live a Live
- Splatoon 3
- Bayonetta 3
- Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
- Harvestella
- Fire Emblem Warriors
- Switch Sports
- Mario Strikers
- Dragon Quest Treasures

Not for everyone but that's an impressive line-up for 2022.
I actually had no idea they had do much for this year. Damn!

I wonder if the Switch version will be silently canceled after it releases everywhere else... maybe it just isn't feasible and they don't want the backlash.

I’m assuming it will just be extremely downscaled. They basically have to invent a miracle port of it from this.

I always knew the idea of this releasing on the switch day 1 wasn’t going to happen. To have to make a game that runs on current gen hardware and also a switch which is just slightly better than a Wii-U is insane

Last edited:

Kabelly

sorry, not going to trust your utter nonsense and judgment in video games when we are talking about a publisher like wb that is miss more than hits, and a developer that their last games were:

Toy story 3
Disney Infinity
and Cars 3.

VS

The F*****ing Zelda Team

Go and play some videogames, if you're hyped by pretty graphics alone, play some videogames.
I do play video games and prefer gameplay focused games. I did not mention graphics at all. But if you also want to mention that this game looks 100x better and ambitious looking than flat rock flat grass texture Breath of the Wild.
You can judge the developer all you want from those games but from what I've actually seen from THIS game it looks promising. Zelda's gameplay ain't the pinnacle. Cool you can stick to every surface and glide.
Zelda's combat is basic and the constant freeze frame when you switch weapons is not fluid at all. Plus the highly controversial weapon breaking mechanic.
The spell combat in Harry Potter actually looks pretty decent too. It's actually very reminisent of BOTW's sheika slate since it's magic.

edit: i forgot you actually learn how to fly a broom in this game too. Looks way more fun than the glider.

Last edited:
Definitely sucks as I was excited for it but a couple month delay isn't the end of the world. Also people need to realize that covid basically halted the world for a long period of time, most games released between 2020 and like 2023/2024 at least will have been seriously impacted by that. Some studios are/were better at handling the disruption than others, but the effects were always going to last a long time, leading to long development cycles, delayed games, etc. Plus the chip shortage and Ukraine War and massive inflation have also made the effects even worse

Ezquimacore

Banned
I do play video games and prefer gameplay focused games. I did not mention graphics at all. But if you also want to mention that this game looks 100x better and ambitious looking than flat rock flat grass texture Breath of the Wild.
You can judge the developer all you want from those games but from what I've actually seen from THIS game it looks promising. Zelda's gameplay ain't the pinnacle. Cool you can stick to every surface and glide.
Zelda's combat is basic and the constant freeze frame when you switch weapons is not fluid at all. Plus the highly controversial weapon breaking mechanic.
The spell combat in Harry Potter actually looks pretty decent too. It's actually very reminisent of BOTW's sheika slate since it's magic.

edit: i forgot you actually learn how to fly a broom in this game too. Looks way more fun than the glider.

Call me a pesimist but i'd rather put my hype and faith on developers that I know they know what they're doing. I've seen too many tech demos and broken promises to be hyped about a game like this one. I guess we will see, but no way in hell this game will be better than Starfield or Breath of the wild 2, and that's ok because it doesn't have to.

Valedix

wow you were not kidding

imagine being on a VIDEO game forum where you are not allowed to talk freely about video games. literally one wrong word gets you banned there
Thank god I closed my account there such a hostile site lmao

wow you were not kidding

imagine being on a VIDEO game forum where you are not allowed to talk freely about video games. literally one wrong word gets you banned there
Damn near all the comments are about jk Rowling lmao

I'd bet my left nut that most of these faggots clutching their pearls about her still buy the game.

Belthazar

Lol, you people are so weirdly overprotective of BOTW. People are allowed to be more hyped for other games AND to think those games will have better mechanics than what's on BOTW2.

Fake

Top Bottom