• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy will launch on February 10, 2023 for PlayStation, Xbox, and PC.

Just enjoy the game or dont, dont let the discourse around it color your opinion. This game owning the libs shouldn't be a selling point for you, but similarly a reviewer giving it a poor score because of jk rowling wouldnt be fair eithee.

A+ for effort, but you know the media parade leading up to release and the first couple months of post release coverage is going to be an absolute shitshow no matter the reception. In the gaming scene, the only hope is all of the huge game releases surrounding it, like Dead Space and RE4. But the general public is going to go fucking crazy. Launch date in February with SJWs all locked up inside with nothing to do but tweet? Wake me up in 6 months please.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
A+ for effort, but you know the media parade leading up to release and the first couple months of post release coverage is going to be an absolute shitshow no matter the reception. In the gaming scene, the only hope is all of the huge game releases surrounding it, like Dead Space and RE4. But the general public is going to go fucking crazy. Launch date in February with SJWs all locked up inside with nothing to do but tweet? Wake me up in 6 months please.

The only reason ANY of that is going to impact you is if you go looking for it, or people INSIST (which they will) of bring it to the OT. Because as much as people love hating on the "culture wars" going on, they also REALLY love to talk about it and the people who are doing it.

Umbasaborne

Banned
The only reason ANY of that is going to impact you is if you go looking for it, or people INSIST (which they will) of bring it to the OT. Because as much as people love hating on the "culture wars" going on, they also REALLY love to talk about it and the people who are doing it.
I agree, i want to keep the culture war shit out of the ot. Honestly i dont care that a games journalist wrote a think piece about being a bad person if you buy the game. Ive been looking forward to this game my whole life, and the culture war bullshit is really making what should be a dream game for me a bummer.

If you're playing the game, you're not looking at social media. If you're not looking at the social media, these things won't exist to you. You'll end up feeling much happier.

Wouldn't a professional review site doing something like "Yeah this game is great but we're giving it a low score because JK Rowling, 5/10" have some sort of legal ramifications? I imagine the major sites will either have to give an honest review of the content (probably with some dumb disclaimer) or just choose to not review it at all.

Pilgrimzero

Pre-ordered. I would have waited to get this used (due to Rowlings BS) but my wife is a big Potter fan (loves Luna) and can't wait to make a Ravenclaw and play it (on easy mode because she's not much of a gamer).

luna lovegood hp GIF

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Wouldn't a professional review site doing something like "Yeah this game is great but we're giving it a low score because JK Rowling, 5/10" have some sort of legal ramifications? I imagine the major sites will either have to give an honest review of the content (probably with some dumb disclaimer) or just choose to not review it at all.
They are all blog sites now. No one really cares . Hell they were probably told to do it click bait.

Fbh

I doubt any of the major sites would do that. They'll just be harsher in their scoring without specifically saying it's about Jk Rowling.
Also if the game is good I doubt any serious site would do something ridiculous like give it a 5/10, it's going to be more like giving it an 75-80 when they'd normally have given it an 80-85.

Not to mention that the sites that'll bitch and moan the most about it, Kotaku and Polygon, don't give out scores.

Corian33

I’ve been much happier since I cut most social media out of my life, and only use Reddit to find very specific information. Somewhere along the way I asked myself “Why am I caring about stuff that no one I interact with even knows exists?”

I mean, yeah, I wish no ill will toward anyone, and am sensitive to things that might upset some people. But. I’ve absolutely stopped concerning myself with whether something might be “problematic” and just enjoying what I enjoy. This game looks epic and I’m gonna buy it.

Axonometri

I have risen... To say, Damn the game looks great! Going to pre-order PS5 Deluxe on the first two game play showcases alone. Support the Dev's and support Mental Health. God help us.

tkscz

She’s quite right. It is not hateful to say so. Everyone can co-exist peacefully. Men, women, and trans people alike. I don’t see the issue.
The type of people on twitter attacking only see things in two ways, for me %100 or against me. Even if you agree with 99% of what they believe in, the moment they find that 1%, they automatically consider you against them. There is no grey area to them.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just enjoy the game or dont, dont let the discourse around it color your opinion. This game owning the libs shouldn't be a selling point for you, but similarly a reviewer giving it a poor score because of jk rowling wouldnt be fair eithee.

Best post of the thread. Thank you!

Wait, it's cross-gen also with Switch?

I have seen some 30fps open world gameplay and it's really disappointing. Stutters (sub-30fps), pop-in everywhere, empty world. Stuff like AC Odyssey running on console at 60fps runs circle around this.

ikbalCO

Damn. Ive just red the thread: most anticipated 2023 games on era and wow some of you guys are right.

They are actually looking forward to playing that game and most them already pre ordered it. It was like a stealth hype thread for hogwarts legacy.

Meanwhile,

JmtIQP4.jpg

Pre ordered since it was available to do so. Dreamiest game ever.

Ghost23

Damn. Ive just red the thread: most anticipated 2023 games on era and wow some of you guys are right.

They are actually looking forward to playing that game and most them already pre ordered it. It was like a stealth hype thread for hogwarts legacy.

Meanwhile,

JmtIQP4.jpg

Pre ordered since it was available to do so. Dreamiest game ever.
They of course have now locked the thread because the same handful of era posters came in and told everyone the author of Harry Potter is actively trying to kill people lol

I cannot imagine anyone that wants to be a part of a community that is going to bitch at you any time you're trying to enjoy something. They are a miserable group of people that I'm starting to just feel sorry for

Last edited:

Krathoon

I guess I will get the PS5 version since it has the exclusive quest. It is kind of annoying that they did that. I would have rather had it on PC.

I bet there will be a PC hack that enables that quest. That happened with the Control game. All the extra content was there. It just has to be unlocked with a hex editor.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I guess I will get the PS5 version since it has the exclusive quest. It is kind of annoying that they did that. I would have rather had it on PC.

I bet there will be a PC hack that enables that quest. That happened with the Control game. All the extra content was there. It just has to be unlocked with a hex editor.
Im thinking the same thing, i want thos ray traced reflections

I got the deluxe edition for $38. I used cash back on my credit card and a gift card to drop the price.
Nice! I traded in some towards it, I think it'll end up costing me $4 out of pocket. Curious how long the game will be, with side content. Given the 5 year development cycle, hoping it's very substantial. Like 100+ hours to do most things.

Krathoon

Now, Amazon says that it will arrive on Feb 13, 2023. Really, that should be the 10th because I get a 3 day early access.
I may have to talk with them.

Edit: Actually, I should get it the 7th. I chatted with them about it. They said it was pending, so they will probably correct it.
What is the point of the early access if you can't use it?

Edit: I noticed on Amazon that the release date is the 7th, so they need to have release date delivery on this one. I think they thought they could let it slide, but there is early access on it and they need to honor that.

Last edited:
Now, Amazon says that it will arrive on Feb 13, 2023. Really, that should be the 10th because I get a 3 day early access.
I may have to talk with them.

Edit: Actually, I should get it the 7th. I chatted with them about it. They said it was pending, so they will probably correct it.
What is the point of the early access if you can't use it?

Edit: I noticed on Amazon that the release date is the 7th, so they need to have release date delivery on this one. I think they thought they could let it slide, but there is early access on it and they need to honor that.
The release date is the 10th. 7th is early access for Deluxe edition and above. Not sure if Amazon is gonna ship the deluxe and collectors versions of the game 3 days early or if you should just get a code sent to you so you can download it in time to get the early access.

Krathoon

The release date is the 10th. 7th is early access for Deluxe edition and above. Not sure if Amazon is gonna ship the deluxe and collectors versions of the game 3 days early or if you should just get a code sent to you so you can download it in time to get the early access.
They are supposed to deliver the Deluxe physical copies on the 7th. That way you can use the early access. We shall see if Amazon messes that up.
I guess I could have tried Gamestop, but I did not have a gift card with them.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I wonder if your character will grow into an adult in the game. Will they do a year by year thing?

Somehow, you get to freely roam the world. Maybe you graduate from Hogwarts part of the way through?

You don't get to play Quidditch. I think there was an old game that did that in the past.

Last edited:
They are supposed to deliver the Deluxe physical copies on the 7th. That way you can use the early access. We shall see if Amazon messes that up.
I guess I could have tried Gamestop, but I did not have a gift card with them.
Interesting. Well I hope it works out! That’s pretty cool that they’re shipping it early to coincide with the early access. I would’ve assume it would just be a code emailed to you ahead of time to download the client and gain the early access.

Irobot82

I wonder if your character will grow into an adult in the game. Will they do a year by year thing?

Somehow, you get to freely roam the world. Maybe you graduate from Hogwarts part of the way through?

You don't get to play Quidditch. I think there was an old game that did that in the past.
If I understand correctly, you're a 5th year and you're playing catch up to the rest of your classmates.

Krathoon

The quality of the old EA Harry Potter games is kinda dubious at best. They have this thrown together feeling. It is hilarious.

Simo

Sadly not, just a singular year at Hogwarts as a 5th year student playing catch up but the school and surrounding areas change with the seasons and holidays like the Great Hall being decked out for Halloween and Christmas.

Krathoon

Hopefully, they took a cue from Bethesda and put weird little things here and there. I hope they have a system where you will walk up upon little situations like Fallout.

Power Pro

Beyond all the bitching and moaning by people more mentally disturbed than me, I would be pretty interested in Hogwarts Legacy if it really is some great game in the harry potter universe. I'm not like actively watching or reading about the series all the time, but I still really like the harry potter stories, and movies. Except those Fantastic Beasts movies, those are shit. I did read all the books though, so I'm that kind of person.

What's gonna suck is that because there are all these idiots out there, it's gonna be hard to find some review or any coverage of the game that's not politically charged in one direction or another. I don't want to buy it unless I know it's a good game, and not just broken promises, or another mediocre licensed game.

Saber

Gold Member
Beyond all the bitching and moaning by people more mentally disturbed than me, I would be pretty interested in Hogwarts Legacy if it really is some great game in the harry potter universe. I'm not like actively watching or reading about the series all the time, but I still really like the harry potter stories, and movies. Except those Fantastic Beasts movies, those are shit. I did read all the books though, so I'm that kind of person.

What's gonna suck is that because there are all these idiots out there, it's gonna be hard to find some review or any coverage of the game that's not politically charged in one direction or another. I don't want to buy it unless I know it's a good game, and not just broken promises, or another mediocre licensed game.

Is aways better to watch and judge the game yourself. People tend to "go blind", but is a damn risk of playing a game with a gameplay or mechanic that isn't fun.

I aways watch gameplays/ walkthroughs just to be sure that the game doesn't have annoying stuff or mechanics. Even on games that I was garanted to buy like Elden Ring, I still watch on youtube. Better be safe than sorry.

Last edited:

Krathoon

What cracks me up is that they expect people to blow $80 for the game. The only reason I got it was that I used cash back and a gift card to get it down to $38.

I am expecting a game the scale of Skyrim or Horizons: Zero Dawn here.

Top Bottom