• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood Directors team up against the scourge of TV Motion Smoothing

Should TV manufacturers make a filter that adds chromatic aberration to your TV?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Taker666

I think it really depends on what you're watching.

I think sport and nature documentaries look better with it. I also use it in wholly CGI movies....especially those in 3D.

It's at its worst in live action fantasy/scifi movies and tv shows...as a lower framerate hides a multitude of sins in costuming, set design and CGI that's mixed with live action footage.

I can understand why movie directors would hate it..as their content tends to be damaged the most by the effect.

In an ideal world, all broadcast tv would have the ability to air at 48fps/ 60fps..and the individual movie/show maker could choose what framerate they wanted to film/air their shows in.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I have a friend who always has that garbage turned on, I always have to ask her to turn it off when I visit and we’re going to watch something on her TV.

sandpiper

I have absolutely no problem with shooting film in 60fps or 120 FPS or whatever.

However...I absolutely despise motion smoothing and interpolation.

YouTube is infested with videos of clips from certain anime series for example where someone ran them through SVP to turn them into 60fps via interpolation. I don't know why so many people are doing it but it looks like complete garbage and even worse than its application to live action. In fact some of the still frames when I pause these videos is warped beyond belief because of the interpolation software.

Ridley327

Filmmakers really need to drop the idea that there is something magical about the number 24.
If it was shot at 60 FPS, it could display in HFR on virtually every television ever produced. (at least in NTSC regions)
Almost nothing supports 48Hz inputs.

If they are going to pick a framerate that nothing currently supports, they should have gone with something like 120 FPS.
Push for something even higher than that and keep theaters one step ahead of consumer displays, even.

I haven't seen it for myself, but a lot of people love how well they managed to pull off the 60fps HFR for Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk on the 4K disc, as that was shot natively at 120fps HFR. I've heard only OK things at best about the film itself, but I'd love to see it just for the technical feat it managed.

Pokemaniac

While I fully agree that Motion Interpolation is awful, the fact is that there really shouldn't even be a "need" for it. 24fps in this day and age is just awful.

HardRojo

It's fucking awful! A friend had this on on her TV and I told her if she noticed any differences when I turned it off. She said "Damn now it looks like a movie and doesn't move like a soap opera".

Paragon

So what is motion smoothing? What does it look like?
Assorted clips from 3 films. (Leon, something else, and Gladiator)
Deadpool title sequence

I haven't seen it for myself, but a lot of people love how well they managed to pull off the 60fps HFR for Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk on the 4K disc, as that was shot natively at 120fps HFR. I've heard only OK things at best about the film itself, but I'd love to see it just for the technical feat it managed.
I'd love to see it in the original 120 FPS. Still, you can do 120 > 60 without too much trouble. The main issue is that if you're shooting at high framerates, you have less motion blur than lower framerates since the shutter speed will be higher.
48 will decimate to 24 no problem, but almost nothing can currently display 48 FPS natively, since it's not a TV standard. TVs can do 60 though.

People who enable motion smoothing, grain reduction, and “zoom” a wide frame to fit their 16:9 tv 🤦*♂️

I encountered it for the first time recently (hadn't gotten a new TV in ages). Looks awful, hopefully their complaining leads to it being set to off by default.

PaulloDEC

It's the absolute worst, and if I catch anyone with it turned on and I can get my hands on the remote, that shit is getting disabled.

I've never been in a fight, but I'm willing to die on this hill.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It has been shocking to me for years that this is how retail stores like Best Buy and Walmart and Target show off their TVs. It looks so damn awful.

Every time I goto someone's house I always try to fix their TV and everyone gets mad. I get invited somewhere and we turn the TV on and I see something this:

sharp-46d92.jpg

Saturation and brightness all the way up and motion smoothing.

mohuerta

I have it. 4K60 + HDR looks awesome. I'd like to see more movies support that.

Madness

Get used to it though. People like PeterJackson want 48 HFR and while we may prefer film and how we grrw up watching it. Most kids are the youtube and twitch and live generation. When I took my younger cousins to the Hobbit HFR, he loved it. I was weirded out by how dast it moved and made CGI seem unreal. But if it becomes norm, you would see a shift. I turn it off. I calibrate to d6500k. My game mode however utilizes artifical colour especially with HDR on for better effect

It destroys CG too, especially if it's mixed with live action. I remember it really being pushed during Iron Man 2, and the disparity between Tony and his suit was all the more obvious.

It's disgusting.

Yeah, it makes the animation in Rick & Morty look utterly surreal, especially the mouth movements.

I turn it off everywhere I go. They’re doing it wrong.

I do this and then people tell me it looks worse.

This is stretched aspect ratios all over again. I don't have the energy any more to correct every TV I encounter.

I recently did it on a newer LG and that option was buried deep.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Every time I goto someone's house I always try to fix their TV and everyone gets mad. I get invited somewhere and we turn the TV on and I see something this:

sharp-46d92.jpg

Saturation and brightness all the way up and motion smoothing.

You should've came over to my house 'cus it took months for me to get my settings just right. The default settings we no where near correct.

UrbanRats

Can't say it looks good, especially since it's interpolation, so not real additional data.

However i'm never convinced by this 24fps defense force bullshit.
"It looks like a soap opera" is especially bad, but to be convinced about the supposed magical quality of low framerate, we'd need to have a steady offer of 60+fps movies to get used to, and then compare.

Because as weird as high framerate looks, for example, there's no defending the choppy garbage that is a steady pan or a fly over, at 24 fps.
Watch Lord of the Rings, or whatever, and every time the camera does those epic mountain shots, the framerate becomes so obviously choppy, it's disturbing.

So yeah, i'd like to give high framerate a shot, before declaring 24fps as magical and irreplaceable.

That said, motion smoothing isn't really that, so sure, go ahead and kill it.

Skinpop

Get used to it though. People like PeterJackson want 48 HFR and while we may prefer film and how we grrw up watching it. Most kids are the youtube and twitch and live generation. When I took my younger cousins to the Hobbit HFR, he loved it. I was weirded out by how dast it moved and made CGI seem unreal. But if it becomes norm, you would see a shift. I turn it off. I calibrate to d6500k. My game mode however utilizes artifical colour especially with HDR on for better effect

You do realize that 48hz 60hz and beyond is not the same thing as Motion Smoothing though? I have no trouble with 60hz video but motion smoothing is the most disgusting thing ever.

daveo42

Banned
I actually have to disable HDR mode on my PS4 for Netflix content cause of that shit. LG doesn't let you disable it and it make everything with HDR look like hot liquid shit.

Seeing that movie at 120 FPS in a theater was weird.

I don't care if directors are trying to make it "the future" it looked so real it looked fake. If it ain't broke...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can’t the higher end tvs let you configure it so that you don’t get the soap opera but still get the benefits?

Some. Sony are good at having ways to set motionflow(tm) to improve motion clarity without adding soap opera effect. It’s one thing that keeps me favouring Sony TVs - don’t know if others are as good these days (probably)

As for 3:2 pulldown - good TVs have been dealing with that for a while. Certainly on bluray and DVD and I think even on TV broadcasts if they’re broadcast well at 1080i can be properly reconstructed at 24p and displayed with eg 5:5 so no judder (other than that inherent in a 24Hz output)

UrbanRats

While here on GAF ppl fight for 60FPS, which is basically the same thing ;)

No.
60fps, especially in a game, not only impacts fluidity, but responsiveness.
Motion interpolation doesn't access new data (or frames) it just guesses from previous and subsequent rames, and interpolates the inbetween.

It's very different.

Diablos

Ah, the dreaded Soap Opera Effect. No idea why they include this on TV's.

It makes me dizzy and also makes everything look like shit.
It's definitely different than 60fps, as 60fps won't make me dizzy for one thing.

Slaythe

When I was in America, I was with some friends and we watched a movie I suggested, and it looked like SHIT and fake and I felt bad for suggesting it, and I wondered why I remembered the movie to look so much better...

Then midway through I was certain the FPS were all over the place, yet we could not figure out HOW to fix / remove the smoothing. The options that was supposed to be it didn't do anything when turned off and it still looked like shit.

Urgh.

SaviourMK2

I'm gonna chalk it up to having the same TV for.... I think going on 6 years? Can someone tell me what TV Motion Smoothing is

Koyuga

I'm all for the future of HFR cinema, The hobbit in HFR+3D looked incredible and I'm looking forward to more movies using the tech.
But TV motion smoothing isn't this. It ruins the source material by adding fake frames and lowers the overall quality. I really don't get why this is on by default on almost every set, but I guess most people don't care about having an accurate picture.
If I am left alone with a TV that has this on, it is going to be turned off every time.

Top Bottom