• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood Reporter: "'Y: The Last Man' TV Series in the Works at FX (Exclusive)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Banned
tumblr_n9wqjuKpKJ1tigp6no1_400.gif

Still in "development" stages, so there's still a chance it doesn't make it to TV, but I'll take any steps forward.

Quick

Banned
I used to think Zachary Levi could be a decent Yorick but he's getting a bit old for it.

He missed the boat by about 5 years, but he can probably still pull off mid-20s.

He was well aware of the comics and the prospect of a movie way back during Chuck's time on television. At one point, they even had his character reading Y: The Last Man as a nod.

Damn good actress.

Hell, you could cast Danai Gurira. She pretty much already plays the role :p

Dang...definitely a good suggestion! And true enough on already playing the role. Casting is going to be the thing that makes or breaks this show. The source material is already pretty daggum rich.

He missed the boat by about 5 years, but he can probably still pull off mid-20s.

He was well aware of the comics and the prospect of a movie way back during Chuck's time on television. At one point, they even had his character reading Y: The Last Man as a nod.

Yeah Y: The Last Man actually had a pretty big background presence on the show. I think he even had a poster in his room.

I always thought Justin Kirk would have made a good Yorick, but he is getting a little too old. Obviously not as a 1:1 fit to the comic, but because he had a certain self-aware charisma that would fit an adaptation well (and he has experience with a capuchin co-star).

I think FX sounds like a good place for an adaptation, and I'm relieved to hear it will have room to breathe with a series. Vaughan moving things on the series is also a good sign, though of course there is enough reason to be wary with his prior experience as a showrunner.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just yesterday I listened to the Nerdist Writer’s Panel podcast from November 2014 with Brian K Vaughan, they mostly talk about Saga, but at one point someone asks him about a TV or movie adaptation of Y. Funny coincidence.

Hope this turns out good, the comic was very fun to binge.

DrSlek

I look forward to viewers going nuts at the events in Paris. Specifically the events that take place with 355 and the black dress.

ZeroX03

Banned
I look forward to viewers going nuts at the events in Paris. Specifically the events that take place with 355 and the black dress.

The ending will shatter viewers.

TV was always the better route for this show. They can roughly 1:1 it with comic issues and the pacing is tight for an FX run. Glad to hear this.

This is good to hear. Y would make an awesome TV show. Maybe even a great movie trilogy. But one 2 hour movie would never do it justice.

IrishNinja

been waiting on this! shame Gotham fucked up & didnt run with being Gotham Central, but this here was the next most overdue comic show, in my mind

Aww I was hoping for a Pride of Baghdad TV show.

...loved the book, but how exactly would this work?

I could never find myself to read it again. The ending it too raw and emotional-I've never been more wrecked by any piece of fiction.

*sigh* +1

Vibranium

Banned
I hope they do it right. I know some people really disliked the ending but I absolutely loved it. I really want to see Yorik on TV.

I'll watch day 1, as Y is one of my favorite comics series ever.

Bleepey

This show is such a no brainer. 10+ books worth of material to work with, great premise, easy to market, great idea and that can be expanded upon and man you bet tumblr, Jezebel, xojane and probably the manosphere too will talk about it constantly if done well

Well, I didn't want to spoil where the series ends for anyone who hasn't read the books....but yes.

Yeah, you are right. I thought it was safe to assume most people here are readers by the look of posts.

This is going to be Game of Thrones spoiler-obsession-levels and all over again, is it not?

Busty

Banned
I'm surprised that this has fallen completely out of the hands of Warner Bros whose Vertigo/DC division published the original comic.

I'd heard that WB were keen to do something with this for TV but evidently the creators felt that they could do better themselves by taking it out of the studio's hands entirely.

Given what I've seen of The Strain I'm not sure that FX are guaranteed to really give this the adaptation it deserves but I suppose we'll see...., if it ever sees the light of day of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom