• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy crap at Wii U Game Update size.

Neiteio

I don't know if the OP has been a Nintendo-only gamer and is just now joining the HD era (which is fine -- welcome!), but yeah, sizable game updates are not altogether uncommon.

My PS3 and PC games regularly get large updates, it seems.

test_account

XP-39C²
PS3 updates are regularly around 20-30 MB, which is acceptable, but since there are no limits, the may sometimes be several hundred MBs, which is pretty much unacceptable. Thankfully, this is fixed on Vita.
It variates from game to game on Vita too. Escape Plan's latest patch is over 1GB. I think they did some big changes to the game engine, so it seems like you're basically redownloading the game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yea, but wasn't that across both the platforms.

I think GT5 is a more appropriate answer.

Pertaining to Nintendo... welcome to this gen and the joys of large updates.
On 360 to recieve the Burnout Paradise updates that they patched in, you had to download an optional 1.x GB DLC. Otherwise, you didn't get them.

Looking back on it now, they put out several iterations of that update too.. I wonder how much it cost them in fees..

Darklord

Banned
When I first updated each game, I assumed that Nintendo's server are just slow at uploading and that the Wii U was just slow at installing. Turns out the files was just big. I was just browsing through the System memory and found out that the Update Data for each game is kinda large.

Update data size for each game:
Nintendoland 221MB
ZombiU 18MB
NSMBU 29MB

XBOX360 title updates are a few MB in sizes, while PS3 game updates are usually under 10MB right?

edit: The video streaming apps are also fairly large, they are between 35-45MB each.

Battlefield 3 had a 1.5gb patch not to long ago. 10mb? wot

It seems weird how Nintendo have always seemed against patching and 'the box we ship is the game' kind of thing, and then day one WiiU there are patches for both of their games.

I have to say, I am disappointed by all of these patches on Wii U, especially on Nintendo's own games.

What happened to the days when you could insert a game and everything just worked? Did Nintendo cut back on Mario Club? Maybe they're trying to save a few yen...

CREMSteve

Ps3 used to be a LOT worse. Hot Shots Golf, Pain, etc. Had ridiculous patches where you essentially had to re-download the entire games, it was crazy.

I seem to recall a few years back, they addressed it, and now updates are typically 10-30MB, MUCH better.

tenchir

I am just pretty surprised at this considering it's Nintendo we talking about. The size of Nintendoland patch just boggles my mind because it's coming from them and to a lesser extent the NSMBU update.

lenovox1

I have to say, I am disappointed by all of these patches on Wii U, especially on Nintendo's own games.

What happened to the days when you could insert a game and everything just worked? Did Nintendo cut back on the Mario Team? Maybe they're trying to save a few yen...

They were probably working on the Miiverse stuff up until the last minute.

It's already been said, but some updates are bigger than the games themselves on PS3. My PS3 network connection is shocking as well, so it takes FOREVER.

elektrixx

Banned
Run LittleBigPlanet raw and see how many patches that brings.

I welcome patches. It will at least get Nintendo out of jams similar to the Skyward Sword save glitch.

It's free DLC!

herod

XBOX360 title updates are a few MB in sizes, while PS3 game updates are usually under 10MB right?

tumblr_lohzhjL2DF1qhds6b.gif

Raonak

Banned
PS+ autoupdating saves the day.

but yeah, thoes update sizes are pretty standard. I've seen some ps3 updates that are over a gig (usually adding DLC content or something)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
isn't this something to do with a patent that Microsoft has?

Given that Steam and iOS implemented Delta patching, I'm not sure if this is actually owned by Microsoft anymore, or people just made another implementation of the same thing.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
And as someone else said. What do the patch notes say. What do they fix?

aeolist

Banned
I'm curious, if you download a game from the eShop will it just get the latest version or do the stupid PS3 thing and make you update it after downloading?

Koren

while PS3 game updates are usually under 10MB right?
Ahem, I have several games with updates over 1GB... I think Minna no Golf is closer to 4GB, possibly larger than the data on disc. GT5 is also huge, so is Burnout (for good reasons, for once).

Neo C.

What happened to the days when you could insert a game and everything just worked? Did Nintendo cut back on Mario Club? Maybe they're trying to save a few yen...

I'm not very happy either. A good part of console gaming is dwindling.

TheExodu5

Banned
omg i jus wanna put gaem in and it werkz

Patches fixes bugs and might also add content. Im not saying the MoH:Warfigher method is any good but some people sure like to be nostalgic

That being said, I think it would be nice if they allowed the scheduling of automatic updates.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Given that Steam and iOS implemented Delta patching, I'm not sure if this is actually owned by Microsoft anymore, or people just made another implementation of the same thing.

differential patching predates Microsoft's foundation as a company. Differential patching has been optimized for binary data (executables, images) since well before the 360. A few years ago an even better method was conceptually developed, but I don't think too many people have made use of it yet.

I have no idea what the Microsoft patent thing could possibly be referring to.

Kabouter

221MB is an average sized update, the other updates are tiny. You really haven't kept up with gaming in the past few years have you OP? It's fine though, but you're going to have to get used to updates like this, because you're going to be seeing ones that are going to be quite a bit bigger still.

Not all 360 games have <4MB patches nowadays. There is no restriction anymore, so some patches can get fairly large, but as long as it's less than 100MB I wouldn't consider it to be a big update.

NBtoaster

omg i jus wanna put gaem in and it werkz

Patches fixes bugs and might also add content. Im not saying the MoH:Warfigher method is any good but some people sure like to be nostalgic

On PC it shouldn't matter, you should have Steam always on in the background so everything automatically downloads.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Recently Sony gave away The Heist for PS+. It had a 3GB patch, I think, or something ridiculous.

It's just crazy that we have a system which avoids posting patched versions of games and forces a complete download of an old version and then the patch, in separate operations.

Top Bottom