• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HOLY CRAP WOWOWOWOWOW: Nintendo of America is hiring a JP/EN translator it seems

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
https://twitter.com/jobsatnintendo/status/820663761421770752

C2OVV1iVQAAdTOM.jpg

Official NoA career twitter.

Makes me wonder if it's related to the Switch stream. Because damn, that was really a bad form from the translator lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
It must have been the Suda guy. Poor dude was awful... Umm.. Emm...was only missing a fuck this at the end haha.

L~A

Bill got fired again.

(Ok, it was probably that guy translating Suda.)

Thank you for making clicking on this thread worthwile, mate. (Then you had to add that second bit : /).

To the OP: no. They're always hiring translators and stuff. And no, that guy from the stream most definitely wasn't fired.

Eolz

The stream translator was good.
The problem with Suda is that he went off rails as usual.

Boss Doggie

Thank you for making clicking on this thread worthwile, mate.

To the OP: no. They're always hiring translators and stuff. And no, that guy from the stream most definitely wasn't fired.

I guess it's a bit of a coincidence, though I find it hilarious this has been circulating in my tweet feed lol

L~A

The stream translator was good.
The problem with Suda is that he went off rails as usual.

Yeah, definitely.

Live translation is an extremely difficult thing to do (a lot more than "normal" translation, though obviously, you're trained for it), and it's even worse if the speaker isn't being considerate of the translator (speaking way too fast, doesn't take breaks, goes off topic, etc.).

Forkball

Yeah, definitely.

Live translation is an extremely difficult thing to do (a lot more than "normal" translation, though obviously, you're trained for it), and it's even worse if the speaker isn't being considerate of the translator (speaking way too fast, doesn't take breaks, goes off topic, etc.).

They need to hire a full-time "Suda51 to human language" translator.

jschreier

Even putting aside the fact that game companies are hiring all the time, it's so funny that you guys think a giant corporation like Nintendo could fire someone, get approval/budget for a new job listing, and post it within four days. Corporations don't move that quickly!

Boss Doggie

Yeah, definitely.

I get that, but I feel like the translator for the guests, particularly Suda's, was rather... how do I say it.. dry? The rest were fine but somehow his was rather bland.

wrowa

I get that, but I feel like the translator for the guests, particularly Suda's, was rather... how do I say it.. dry? The rest were fine but somehow his was rather bland.

The translators probably had at least a rough script for the rest of the show, while the guests spoke freely. We know at the very least in Suda's case that he made up his speech on the spot.

Porcile

The guy's audible groan when Suda went off script was the most memorable thing about the presentation for me lol

Even putting aside the fact that game companies are hiring all the time, it's so funny that you guys think a giant corporation like Nintendo could fire someone, get approval/budget for a new job listing, and post it within four days. Corporations don't move that quickly!

Still it's a funny if nonsensical coincidence. Poor Translator.

True Fire

It's kind of a funny coincidence though.

Lkr

If it were video game related would it say localization as opposed to translator? Curious about the lack of Mother 3 posts here :p

Translating != interpreting.

I'd imagine a translation position being open has more to do with the fact that NoA and NoJ are in constant contact and likely need a lot of translators.

Kanhir

Pet peeve.

Translators work on text, like video games, contracts or spec sheets.
Interpreters work on spoken word, like speeches or conversations, like in the presentation on the 13th.

It's a distinction that's invisible outside the translation industry (hence everyone calling the presentation guy a "translator"), but important if you're hiring.

You can see it in the job ad:
Translates written and verbal communication between NOA, NCL, and other Nintendo subsidiaries and partners
Translates confidential e-mail and other written documentation from Japanese to English, and English to Japanese
Provides verbal interpretation for meetings and conference calls

I'm guessing this is just a regular correspondence translation job, in any case, rather than relating to the stream.

Piers

Were the other translators just reading off a screen and not doing live interpretation like the other person?

NeOak

What if Reggie is breathing down the neck of HR?

Clearly it's because Reggie accidentally over-teased Mother 3 this time, and now they actually have to do it to save face.

The Suda51 replacement idea is great though because it assumes:

1) he was staff
2) real time translation was his only duty
3) someone else couldn't just handle Suda's next improv interview, in 2019 when the game is done
4) he's on such thin ice that his keycard didn't work the next day

ngower

Translator job posting was put up on November 30th, well before the Switch presentation. Stop saying the Suda translator was fired.

Maybe Bill's getting another promotion.
I'd love him to get Reggie's job, we might get a worthwhile interview then.

Trinen does a lot more than translation, and has for quite some time. Man has degrees in international business, it's really only a matter of time and his willingness before he gets a top job in NoA, but again I'd assume he'd be groomed for CEO versus President.

tsab

What if they need a translator for the Switch API and dev documents? For better support (3rd party) dev support?

Top Bottom