• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy Shit, Amazon is apparently making a series based on 'Event Horizon'!

D-Dude

tumblr_lvufknimM61qfpn1do2_500.gif

GV82

It's going to suck.They should try to dig up the director cut instead.

Isn’t that long lost in the salt mines where they stored the film? The footage deteriorated beyond repair I heard.

From denofgeek - Sadly he probably won’t get the chance to release a director’s cut, since the film came out prior to the rise in special edition DVDs. The unused footage was packaged off to a Transylvanian salt mine for storage, so when he came looking for the footage it was in such poor shape it was no longer usable. Anderson himself has recently reaffirmed this.

I read about this TV show a few weeks ago & forgot to post it, I was going to suggest previous to that the should try remaking the movie and include all the cut stuff, but I guess they can do that in a show.

Last edited:

sol_bad

It's still a good film but god damn are some of the sound effects really bad in it. Like, they are some seriously C grade sound effects. Never realised when I was younger because I was too busy shitting my pants.
Ah well, they can be overlooked.

I'm not sure if you can sustain this type of story for 6-10 episodes let alone a number of seasons. Hope they knows what they are doing.

I hope its a prequel that follows the original crew. I want to see a series about the conception of the Event Horizon to its first voyage to the first crew getting possessed or whatever. They will probably recast all the roles. Maybe we will see this dude though.

latest

Last edited:
My biggest concern is that it's gonna look and feel too polished, as are most productions today.

I hope that none of the characters are distractingly attractive because I'd love to focus on what's happening. And I hope the characters and ship feel like they've been lived in.

And last but not least the writing must be compelling. I am fully expecting Dr. Grant to reprise his role, too.

Entertaining B movie though I don't know about a series. The premise wasn't so interesting that it could use several more hours. Maybe I'll be surprised...

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Its prob the only other horror movie besides The Thing that i can recite word for word. Its also the only one of two movies that kept me awake at night. The other was The Grudge.

mcz117chief

Never seen the movie but uncanny how it can be easily tied to W40K lore - basically this is what happens to a ship that would go into the Warp without a Gellar Field.
No it isn't, but I can see why someone would think that. The similarities are superficial at best. It is true that the director and the crew were inspired by many science fiction shows, books etc. but this idea that it can work as a prequel to 40k is just weak and shows a staggering lack of knowledge when it comes to 40k, which most "fans" do. How to quickly find a 40k fan who knows almost nothing about 40k, they will usually say things like "40k so big, so awesome, it would destroy all other sci-fi universes easily", "40k so big, no other sci-fi as big as 40k", "40k so awesome, Space Marines are the strongest warriors in all of sci-fi.", "Imperial Guard so shit, literally flashlights and shirts" and many more.

I LOVE Event Horizon. I don't understand why it got shit on so hard when it released. I must have seen it about a million times. Sam Neill is my favorite actor of all time too.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

At best I'm cautiously optimistic about this - Amazon's earned a lot of cred with me after watching The Boys. I'm just not a fan of digging up old properties and attempting to flesh out/answer what might have never meant to be answered.

However - Much like Han Solo's background being told in a standalone movie some "blanks" are best left empty and left up to the imagination of the audience.

Last edited:
My biggest concern is that it's gonna look and feel too polished, as are most productions today.

I hope that none of the characters are distractingly attractive because I'd love to focus on what's happening. And I hope the characters and ship feel like they've been lived in.

And last but not least the writing must be compelling. I am fully expecting Dr. Grant to reprise his role, too.

Also, with it being made in Current Year™, they will likely make Sam Neil's character a proxy to dump on Trump, Laurence Fishburne's character a Gordon Goodbrother™ cuck to a strong female lead who doesn't need a man and almost all of the violence will be directed to the male cast to defeat The Patriarchy™ while being oddly misandrist at the same time like that new Chucky movie...

...at least, that's the easy prediction to make. Hoping it's good and not used as a vessel for newspeak political agenda-pushing, but it's an adaptation of a cult classic movie with a strong fanbase and male leads...they will fuck this up somehow. Mark my words.

Last edited:

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I wonder if it’ll be a sequel, not sure there’s a series idea before the portal to hell opens

Entertaining B movie though I don't know about a series. The premise wasn't so interesting that it could use several more hours. Maybe I'll be surprised...

Anytime we are talking about a malevolent force from a literal hell dimension, I think there’s lots of room for creativity.

I wonder if it’ll be a sequel, not sure there’s a series idea before the portal to hell opens

story of the original crew and their experience in the hell dimension

Last edited:
If i remember correctly Paul WS Anderson had talked about wanting to follow the original crew in a prequel in some interview. I wonder if this is what came of it? I always wished in the movie that a member of the original crew was still alive in one of the grav couches, or a grav couch contained a rotting corpse.

wondermega

Movie was super-cool at the time (not sure why it got the horrible rep). I haven't seen it in years, maybe a good time to re-watch! I remember that the soundtrack was particularly good as well-

oagboghi2

“Hey guys, ever heard of 40K, I heard it it’s pretty cool and...”

How to quickly find a 40k fan who knows almost nothing about 40k, they will usually say things like "40k so big, so awesome, it would destroy all other sci-fi universes easily", "40k so big, no other sci-fi as big as 40k", "40k so awesome, Space Marines are the strongest warriors in all of sci-fi.", "Imperial Guard so shit, literally flashlights and shirts" and many more..

“Never mind”

TheContact

I loved this movie so much. I can't think of a better genre than a space horror/mysteries. Movies like Pandorum, Sunshine, Moon, Interstellar etc... are the best. If anyone likes these kinds of movies, I highly suggest the netflix short which is part of the "love death and robots" series called "Beyond the Aquila RIft". I've watched that episode like 20 times. It's so good. If anyone can recommend other similar things I'd appreciate it.

Top Bottom