• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy Shit, Amazon is apparently making a series based on 'Event Horizon'!

mcz117chief

“Hey guys, ever heard of 40K, I heard it it’s pretty cool and...Never mind”
It is pretty cool but vast majority of "fans" blow it way WAY out of proportion. I don't know if it is some inferiority complex but 40k fans are insanely obnoxious to talk with mostly. Constantly belittle other sci-fi and talk about how 40k is the best at everything and how it isn't even debatable. Practically 40k is the only decent diesel punk we got (since Mutant Chronicles can't make its big break) so beggars can't be choosers.

Makariel

It is pretty cool but vast majority of "fans" blow it way WAY out of proportion. I don't know if it is some inferiority complex but 40k fans are insanely obnoxious to talk with mostly. Constantly belittle other sci-fi and talk about how 40k is the best at everything and how it isn't even debatable. Practically 40k is the only decent diesel punk we got (since Mutant Chronicles can't make its big break) so beggars can't be choosers.
You shouldn't talk that much to teenagers who never read any books other than genre fiction or lore for tabletop gaming systems ;) not that there's anything wrong with genre fiction, but it's clear that much of 40k has been "borrowed" from other sources. Borrowed well in some cases (Tyranids are neat and I like the "Roman Empire in Space" idea of 30k, albeit not the biggest fan of it's execution), not so much in others (I guess GW would like to forget the "Massacre at Big Toof River" for example, where they casually equate Zulu with sentient mushrooms that know only war). And since they've been borrowing from so many places it's then really easy to see superficial similarities almost anywhere. I'm not sure why you classify 40k as diesel punk though, since the aesthetics are much more WW1 and Gothic architecture (the spaceships are literally gothic cathedrals with nuclear engines and guns) with a sprinkling of Lovecraft, rather than anything from the 50ies?

mcz117chief

I'm not sure why you classify 40k as diesel punk though, since the aesthetics are much more WW1 and Gothic architecture (the spaceships are literally gothic cathedrals with nuclear engines and guns) with a sprinkling of Lovecraft, rather than anything from the 50ies?
Diesel punk isn't just 50s. Diesel punk is pretty much WW1 and WW2 with high tech. Very little computers but high amount of extremely advanced technology in spite of that. 40k fits that description. Mechs with chimneys/stacks are a staple (like Sentinels) as well as powered exoskeletons, heavy artillery, trench warfare, super advanced WW2 fighters, esoteric energy sources, very bulky designs etc. etc. look at Leman Russ for example, it is pretty much just Mark V tank from WW1 with a turret.
edit: btw. you don't have to explain 40k to me, I have been in it since the early 90s. Not trying to be an ass about it, just that you don't have to explain to me how the Imperial warships look like and such, cool? I, of course, don't know everything, but you can consider me to know all the basic stuff (I didn't know about the Toof River thing for example).

Last edited:

Makariel

Diesel punk isn't just 50s. Diesel punk is pretty much WW1 and WW2 with high tech. Very little computers but high amount of extremely advanced technology in spite of that. 40k fits that description. Mechs with chimneys/stacks are a staple (like Sentinels) as well as powered exoskeletons, heavy artillery, trench warfare, super advanced WW2 fighters, esoteric energy sources, very bulky designs etc. etc. look at Leman Russ for example, it is pretty much just Mark V tank from WW1 with a turret.
My misunderstanding then, I had diesel punk registered in my brain as 50ies style with some high-tech elements. Like Crimson Skies, the Rocketeer or Fallout. But yeah the lack of electronics does sound like 40k, they rather glue a lobotomized human brain of a convict to a gun turret as targeting system, instead of getting electronics to work.

mcz117chief

My misunderstanding then, I had diesel punk registered in my brain as 50ies style with some high-tech elements. Like Crimson Skies, the Rocketeer or Fallout. But yeah the lack of electronics does sound like 40k, they rather glue a lobotomized human brain of a convict to a gun turret as targeting system, instead of getting electronics to work.
Cogitators, as far as I know, are purely mechanical and very powerful to boot. They are responsible for running the massive factories on forgeworlds and provide firing solutions on artillery batteries (the weakest models) and warships (very advanced models). They can also be used to charter a course through the ever fluctuating immaterium so you can jump around without a navigator. But I'm getting a bit side tracked here.

Last edited:
Cogitators, as far as I know, are purely mechanical and very powerful to boot. They are responsible for running the massive factories on forgeworlds and provide firing solutions on artillery batteries (the weakest models) and warships (very advanced models). They can also be used to charter a course through the ever fluctuating immaterium so you can jump around without a navigator. But I'm getting a bit side tracked here.

Reliable warp travel is nigh impossible without a navigator for the imperium. Navigators use the Astronomican as a beacon to chart their bearings through the warp to read potential warp storms. Due to the warp being psychic in nature this is the only reliable way for the imperium to traverse the warp.

mcz117chief

Reliable warp travel is nigh impossible without a navigator for the imperium. Navigators use the Astronomican as a beacon to chart their bearings through the warp to read potential warp storms. Due to the warp being psychic in nature this is the only reliable way for the imperium to traverse the warp.
Wrong. I'm sure every ore, worker, food, garbage transport in the Imperium has a navigator lol.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Considering how bad Jack Ryan was, I'm cautiously optimistic.
The Expanse, on the other hand, has me hyped as all hell.

I always thought, what if something like Event Horizon happened in real life? Some new NASA probe to Proxima Centauri opens some kind of weird chaos dimension that we can't comprehend. Also the movie script describes what the hell dimension sort of looks like and it has alot more dialog and exposition that wasn't in the movie. For example, there is a scene where Weir discovers that the Event Horizon's computer still thinks it's 2040. I want to see the longer version of this movie so bad.

Last edited:

Doom85

I loved this movie so much. I can't think of a better genre than a space horror/mysteries. Movies like Pandorum, Sunshine, Moon, Interstellar etc... are the best. If anyone likes these kinds of movies, I highly suggest the netflix short which is part of the "love death and robots" series called "Beyond the Aquila RIft". I've watched that episode like 20 times. It's so good. If anyone can recommend other similar things I'd appreciate it.

I haven't seen the other three you listed, but Sunshine is so fucking good. Some have issues with the final third of the film, and yeah it's kind of a tone shift but I think it works and is still very well-executed. And the ending is terrific.

TheContact

I haven't seen the other three you listed, but Sunshine is so fucking good. Some have issues with the final third of the film, and yeah it's kind of a tone shift but I think it works and is still very well-executed. And the ending is terrific.

Pandorum is a sci-fi horror movie that I enjoyed despite some bad reviews. It's about an ark that was created for humans to migrate to another planet on since Earth was becoming overpopulated. The crew gets a message saying the humans on the ark are the only ones left, and then some shit pops off on the ship which I won't spoil.

Moon is a drama, not a horror, but it's about a man's solo experience maintaining an automated alternative fuel system harvesting operation after an oil crisis happens on Earth, but it got good ratings and was a great film as well

Interstellar is just required viewing imo. Great movie. Some people hated it, but I personally loved it. Very unique concepts of time/space.

Doom85

Yeah, I hadn't really heard of the first two so thanks for the heads up.

I love Nolan's work so Interstellar (the one film of his I haven't seen) is definitely on my to-watch list.

I would just like to say that I know Anderson didn't make the film with regard to 40k as anything other than an artistic inspiration. I will admit that I'm realively new to the 40k random beyond memes, I've read less than 10 books and don't play the actual game. That being said, if a ship entered the immaterium without a Gellar Field during the Dark Age of Technology I think it would look a hell of a lot like Event Horizon.

Give me a straight-up table top role play 40k, and I'd play it. Dear God the size of those source books though.

pramod

Banned
I think what made this movie really work was how they gradually built up the dread and unease. It doesnt rely on jump scares. It shows u disturbing and creepy stuff, and winds up the creepiness and gore as time goes on. And it lets your imagination do most of the work which is the best type of horror there is. I mean they do flash some brief hellish scenes at you but they never linger on it or show u everything. It wants your mind to imagine the rest of the horror.

Tesseract

Banned
I always thought, what if something like Event Horizon happened in real life? Some new NASA probe to Proxima Centauri opens some kind of weird chaos dimension that we can't comprehend. Also the movie script describes what the hell dimension sort of looks like and it has alot more dialog and exposition that wasn't in the movie. For example, there is a scene where Weir discovers that the Event Horizon's computer still thinks it's 2040. I want to see the longer version of this movie so bad.

stop, i can only get so hard!

I really hope its a prequel that follows the original crew. I want to see Sam Neill back as Weir. (age wouldn't be an issue, it would still be Weir). I want to see him ignoring his wife, and i want him to find something sinister in his mathematical equations and keeping it as a secret. Attention to detail would really do this justice.

RAÏSanÏa

Space Vampires from Hell on the Horizon beckoning! Feeding time for Mathilda May.
open-arms.jpg

Top Bottom