• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home-style cooking with OnkelC, Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Cooking is manly. Manly is cooking!

/// Edited as of 8/21/06:///
Since this thread has grown to somewhat epic proportions, there was some input for an index of the recipes at the top of this thread. LOTS OF MORE RECIPES IN HERE, INDEX ONLY COVERS 1/4 OF ZE THREAD! BROWSE AND FIND MORE GREAT STUFF!
So here it goes (in order of appearance):

Wiener Schnitzel, German style

Käsepätzle (ingredients) (homemade preparation of noodles)

"Lousy Züricher Schnitte" from yilmazz

Spaghetti con Pesto (ingredients)

Ei-uienprut Deluxe (rough translation: A mire of eggs, onions and bacon) from Rei_Toei

tomato mozzarella salad from thirty

Paglia e Fieno (italian pasta dish with gorgonzola) (ingredients)

"Steak, potatoes and salad late night sensation" from catfish

Zürcher Geschnetzeltes with Rösti (ingredients)

Invaluable kitchen tips and tricks

Apple pancakes (OnkelC's personal heartbreaker) (ingredients) (freehand flipping video)

Burger deluxe from catfish

Pork fillet with Estragon/taragon (ingredients)

Pasta Putanesca from Rei_Toei

Homemade Aperitifs, Digestifs and anything in between, courtesy of Zensetsu

Assortment of German sweets and chocolate

Thai Pasta dish for the broke student from Hooker

Saturday Sausagefest as Ze Germans do it!
(ingredients and preparation are kinda mixed, read all of them for complete coverage):
"Nudelsalat" (ingredients) (Noodle salad German style)

Homemade bread

Ze sausages and finale

"3 K Sunday Breakfast"

The famous "London broil and rosemary potatoes" from Nerevar

Hot chicken in tomato sauce from Rei_Toei

"Simple Man, Girlfriend away CURRY!" from catfish

"Nudeln mit Tomatensoße" (noodles with tomato sauce) (ingredients)

Guarcamole deluxe from Mama Smurf

Basics of food acquisition in Germany, Part 1

Tasty quesadillas from Mama Smurf

Reading the whole thread greatly enhances the experience and is therefore heavily recommended!:lol

Have fun and contribute/comment!

---the original thread started here:---

Preparation of Wiener Schnitzel, German style fresh from OnkelC's kitchen like an hour ago. The wife wanted some Schnitzel for dinner, so I thought you would like to share the experience.(Basically, I just got a new cam and wanted to try it out :lol ).

Ingredients:
5a083511.jpg

Meat (preferably Pork, but veal will do, too),

309d8da2.jpg

Some fries

CIMG0145-small.jpg

Can of baby carrots and peas (Essential for the German Style Wiener Schnitzel)

CIMG0149-small.jpg

Some organic lemons for taste

First, beat the pork until it has about double size (it's the same slice as pictured above):
955a9e19.jpg

Cut the slices in half so they will fit in the pan.

Then fix the Panade (usually flour, battered egg and breadcrumbs, but I was a lazy ass and used some readymade panade with milk:
8f7b93dc.jpg

Ready for the pan:
bff7d1d9.jpg

Next, get the fries going
5847ccab.jpg

and put the carrot/peas on the stove, add some butter:
ed66221a.jpg

Put some oil and butter in a pan and fry away:
CIMG0150-small.jpg

Goodness in the making:
CIMG0152-small.jpg

voila, serve with some lemon for the extra twist:
CIMG0154-small.jpg

If there is interest, I will post the preparation of Käsespätzle (traditional noodle dish) tomorrow.

Guten Appetit from Bonn.

Jacobi

Banned
Nayo, I eat enough meat per week. But thanks for the thread, I'll print it out and maybe I'll use it for the making of the Schnitzel someday in the future. Pommes at home though ? No ! Kartoffeln !

Also : I'm hungrier now.

I see you also seem to love photographing food, here's my contribution :

Manaka

Cheap copycats! Adding carrots and peas is not enough to call it "German style" :lol
...but it does look tasty ^^

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Manaka said:
Cheap copycats! Adding carrots and peas is not enough to call it "German style" :lol
...but it does look tasty ^^
You=Austrian? :lol
Actually, its the use of pork rather than veal which makes it german...I think.

Manaka

OnkelC said:
You=Austrian? :lol
Actually, its the use of pork rather than veal which makes it german...I think.

Yup, I'm Austrian ^^

Could be...but most of the restaurants here just use pork as their default type of meat for a Wiener Schnitzel nowadays ( and of course it's only called "Wiener Schnitzel vom Schwein")
But then again, an Austrian restaurant certainly would not call it "German style" :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Manaka said:
Yup, I'm Austrian ^^

Could be...but most of the restaurants here just use pork as their default type of meat for a Wiener Schnitzel nowadays ( and of course it's only called "Wiener Schnitzel vom Schwein")
But then again, an Austrian restaurant certainly would not call it "German style" :lol
"OnkelC Style" would have sounded a bit preposterous, so...

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
this is an awesome idea for an "uber thread". We should have a "cooking thread" where people post step-by-step recipies (with pics) for easy home cooking

CrunchyB

I never liked schnitzels or German cuisine in general. The fact that the German guy at my dorm is a horrible cook didn't help.

What's up with the butter and the peas btw? As if those fries and the schintzel weren't fat enough. Which makes me wonder, are vegetables outlawed in Germany? ;)

Also, I think the guy at my dorm once made Käsespätzle. Basically, it's macaroni with lots of cheese and raw eggs, right? I was shocked. Just promise me you won't make a thread about Leberkäse or Kartoffelsalad. I can feel my veins blocking up just thinking about that *shudder*

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
CrunchyB said:
I never liked schnitzels or German cuisine in general. The fact that the German guy at my dorm is a horrible cook didn't help.
Well, you won't have to eat the pictures above.:D

What's up with the butter and the peas btw? As if those fries and the schintzel weren't fat enough. Which makes me wonder, are vegetables outlawed in Germany? ;)
ZE FAT FREE KUISINE IZ FOR THE WEAKLINKS, HERR KRUNCHYB!!:lol
A little bit of butter is OK to enhance the taste. And I usually use (lots of) fresh vegetables, but the canned carrots and peas is the side dish of choice for Schnitzel. Maybe the other Krauts on NeoGAF will confirm this. Wife and I eat meat dishes 2-3 times a week.

Also, I think the guy at my dorm once made Käsespätzle. Basically, it's macaroni with lots of cheese and raw eggs, right?
Nope. Wait till tomorrow if you are interested.:) It is completely devoid of meat btw.

I was shocked. Just promise me you won't make a thread about Leberkäse or Kartoffelsalad. I can feel my veins blocking up just thinking about that *shudder*
I have eaten Leberkäse with delight for two times in my life, but it's not on the daily schedule at all. Kartoffelsalat is "the good shit" if prepared right. Your dormmate seems to be a shitty cook, btw.

CrunchyB

OnkelC said:
Wife and I eat meat dishes 2-3 times a week.

I think "meat dishes" is something german, here in the Netherlands we like out veggies :)

Nope. Wait till tomorrow if you are interested.:) It is completely devoid of meat btw.

Still sounds very similar to me, but let's see tomorrow. I do appreciate the effort btw, even though I'm not too thrilled about the menu :)

Cooking threads rock.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
CrunchyB said:
I think "meat dishes" is something german, here in the Netherlands we like out veggies :)

Cooking threads rock.
You got the privilege to being able to smoke the most interesting horticultural products available, too:lol
One of the greatest things edible to come out of the Netherlands are vleeskroketten and bitterbollen, btw.

thefit

Wow what a difference to the American "Wiener Schnitzel". When you say Weiner Schnitzel here all you imagine is this crap.

weiners.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thefit said:
Wow what a difference to the American "Wiener Schnitzel". When you say Weiner Schnitzel here all you imagine is this crap.

weiners.jpg
WHAT IS THAT? could you explain/describe the thing on the stick and/or its ingredients, please?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nerevar said:
I find it funny that you specifically said you used "organic" lemons, but you used canned peas and carrots :lol
"organic" because the Peel is not treated with antibiotics and the plant itself got no pesticides, which goes for the canned veggies, too.
But the canned stuff (which is the only canned food I use for cooking apart from baked beans and corn) has got a very unique taste to it, which makes it irreplaceable for this dish. You gotta trust me, every German likes these particular canned peas and carrots.:lol

thefit

What Hito said its a corndog see here in the US wiener schnitzel = A franchise of ghetto hot dog fast food joints that carry anything that falls under the "weiner" family of american foods this includes hot dogs, chili dogs, the hot dog "hamburger", chili cheese fries, and of course the ever popular corn dog. They however do not cary any actual weiner schnitzel.

Yout typical joint.

Margolies04.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thefit said:
What Hito said its a corndog see here in the US wiener schnitzel = A franchise of ghetto hot dog fast food joints that carry anything that falls under the "weiner" family of american foods this includes hot dogs, chili dogs, the hot dog "hamburger", chili cheese fries, and of course the ever popular corn dog. They however do not cary any actual weiner schnitzel.

Yout typical joint.

Margolies04.jpg
yeah, that looks exactly like a typical german housing, too.:lol
Edit: or Austrian, for that matter.

thefit

You know I have never purchased any of that stuff and if I remember correctly I haveonly ever eaten that food once in my entire life and only cuz it was free. But your right those places aren't very enticing.

LakeEarth

I have the house to myself for a few weeks but I've never really cooked before. I can do noodles and frozen stuff but nothing that doesn't have the 'how to' right on the box. Does anyone know any online recepie sites for people that don't know how to cook anything?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Diablos said:
They're disgusting. I haven't had a corndog in a couple of years. Stick to homemade German dinners -- they're much better, I'm sure.

In all fairness, food like corn dogs are meant as "fair food" - not exactly a type of food that's supposed to compete with a well-made home-cooked meal. It's stuff that's meant to be eaten in one hand as you walk around the local fair.

Diablos

Nerevar said:
In all fairness, food like corn dogs are meant as "fair food" - not exactly a type of food that's supposed to compete with a well-made home-cooked meal. It's stuff that's meant to be eaten in one hand as you walk around the local fair.
Or, not at all. :D

tehrafe

The schnitzels here suck, they are really thick and it doesn't taste very well.

And your photos prove that my German teacher was right when she said that in Germany the schnitzels are thin (and that's why they are better)

Oh yeah, she also mentioned something about a new "hit" at partys in Germany. People would make some sort of pudding (or jelly pudding) and make it with wodka. Then they would put it in a syringe, pull out the needle and spray it in the visitor's mouth at partys...

(don't know if it was bs or not, but it is funny though :lol)

so OnkelC, is it true? :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tehrafe said:
The schnitzels here suck, they are really thick and it doesn't taste very well.

And your photos prove that my German teacher was right when she said that in Germany the schnitzels are thin (and that's why they are better)

Oh yeah, she also mentioned something about a new "hit" at partys in Germany. People would make some sort of pudding (or jelly pudding) and make it with wodka. Then they would put it in a syringe, pull out the needle and spray it in the visitor's mouth at partys...

(don't know if it was bs or not, but it is funny though :lol)

so OnkelC, is it true? :D

Guten Morgen, NeoGAF,

It was true around 2003-2005, it was popular to make a jelly/Jell-O with a half water, half wodka base (prepare jelly with half the amount of water, heat it and then add the wodka and let it cool out). I never tasted them though, because I am forbidden to drink since 9 years now(Doctor told me so, no religious thing). Usually, the jelly was put in little shots glasses or cut in cubes.
"Drinks" like this are known as "Dosenöffner" ("Can-Openers") because of their impact on the ladies.:D The syringe part of your teachers saying would make no sense, since the jelly (commonly called "hot shot" or "Glubber") is quite stiff and the wobbling part is the fun aspect of the show. I havent seen hot shots around since about two years, so the craze is over I suppose.

And Schnitzel need to be paper-thin for best taste. Useless info: They are always callled Schnitzel (one Schnitzel, two Schnitzel, three Schnitzel) in the German speaking parts of the world.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thefit said:
You know I have never purchased any of that stuff and if I remember correctly I haveonly ever eaten that food once in my entire life and only cuz it was free. But your right those places aren't very enticing.
Which language (of the HP) would you prefer?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
food4.jpg

That are the main ingredients for the Käsespätzle, cooking will start in about an hour.

If you would like any other dishes preparedover the course of the next week, please place your wishes. I cook every day for the evening and buy the ingredients immediately before preparation.

So far, I think of cooking the following for the next week:
*Bratwurst with mashed potatoes and lettuce
*Paglia e Fieno alla Leccabaffi (Nice pasta with a gorgonzola/champignon sauce)
*Spaghetti Bolognese
*Apple Pancakes
*Homemade Bread
*Fast Ratatouille
*Zürcher Geschnetzeltes with Rösti

Place your votes and/or wishes!

Zaptruder

Banned
OnkelC, you're a good man. Will be looking forward to more tales of your culinary adventures.

I vote for this: Zürcher Geschnetzeltes with Rösti

simply because I have no idea what it is, or how to pronounce it; but it's always intresting to learn new things!

Zaptruder said:
OnkelC, you're a good man. Will be looking forward to more tales of your culinary adventures.

I vote for this: Zürcher Geschnetzeltes with Rösti

simply because I have no idea what it is, or how to pronounce it; but it's always intresting to learn new things!

Next time I cook it I'll post the receipt.

It's called "Züri Gschnätzlets mit Röschti" in our local language.

And Schnitzel with fries we call "Schnipo", short for Schnitzel Pommes Frites....

Frenck

Banned
Berliner Currywurst ftw

You don't have to do anything complicated to make currywurst at home and it tastes really good. If you visit Berlin you have to eat a currywurst or you are missing a big (and tasty) chunk of german culture :)

And because the english language can't describe the pure genius of currywurst I'm linking to the spanish Wikipedia entry about it:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currywurst

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, lets cook!
Käsespätzle is originally a Swabian poor mans dish, but it tastes great and can easily be prepared in huge amounts, which makes it a nice party food. Originally it was eaten directly out of the bowl, accompanied by a green salad. The noodles should be original "Spätzle", which have a very rough surfaceand are high on egg content. The cheese used should be Emmentaler because of the mild, nut-like taste.

Aside from the ingredients mentioned above (enough for four persons), you will need the following:

1. A big bowl or "form" like this one:
001-small.jpg

2.: a sieve with a long handle for the spaetzle:
01-small.jpg

First, peel the onions and cut them in half:
1-small.jpg

Then, slice them like shown:
2-small.jpg

After that, cut the slices, resulting in nice big cubes:
3-small.jpg

That is the amount of onions for about four persons:
4-small.jpg

And your eyes will look like this afterwards :D :
5-small.jpg

Next, grate the cheese:
7-small.jpg

Amount of cheese needed:
7a-small.jpg

Take a huge pot, fill it with cold water and put 2 tablespoons of salt in it, place on the stove and heat it (important for the later timing). Then put some oil in a real hot pan, add a little piece of butter for taste.

Not to forget the onions:
8-small.jpg

Now the twist of the roasted onions: add salt and about a handful of sugar:
9-small.jpg

This gives a great taste to the onions. the onions will start to lose some water, which is normal. When the onions will start to take color, the water should boil. Put the noodles in the water and cook them. Use a wooden spoon to stir the noodles, it will prevent cooking over:
11-small.jpg

Let the onions roast on high setting for about 15-20 minutes while constantly stirring:
14-small.jpg

15-small.jpg

16-small.jpg

The above is all that is left of the onions from the picture above. The result is pure, concentrated tase!

The tricky part: The Spätzle must be applied directly from the boiling water to the bowl, so prepare the working place accordingly:
17-small.jpg

Then fill the form with layer of noodles, layer of cheese until the form is filled:
18-small.jpg

19-small.jpg

Add the roast onions on top:
fd59df74.jpg

And have a feast!
21-small.jpg

Remember:
counting calories is for those who have to!:lol

If you ask nicely, you can get the corndog guy at the fair to redip the finished corndog in funnel cake better and RE-FRY it. Oh yeah.....you'll be dead half way thru

and yes I'm kidding, . but you should try it anyway.

Although at my job the other day, we got really bored and tempura fried a bacon bluecheese burger. I could barely look at it, but somone ate half of it. : /

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
OnkelC, you're a true GAF trooper. If anyone is interested I'll post some Dutch student recipes - fast, fairly simple, but nonetheless tasty =).

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
8bit said:
That's not spätzle, that's weirdo cheesy noodles. I thought you might have started from scratch with dough, not packet contents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Käsespätzle_Zubereitung.JPG
:lol
I thought about that, but I thought the utensils needed for the preparation are uncommon in most GAFfers kitchens. I assume.
Anyway, to prepare spätzle Old School like, you need for four persons:
500 grams of wheat flour
5 eggs
Salt and Water
Make a thick liquid dough and let it stand for 15 minutes.

To get the dough into Spätzle shape, you can
a) smear the dough on a wooden plank and scrape it into the boiling water,
b) use a tool like the following:
CIMG0198.jpg

put some dough on top and scrape it into the boiling water. Correct setup is like this:
CIMG0199.jpg

I`m liking the recipes Onkel. Since we are talking german/Austrian recipes. I don`t suppose you know how to make "dead cat on a shovel"? I had it in a speciality Schwabian restaurant, and loved it. I guess it`s probably specific to that region though, right?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChrisAllenFiz said:
I`m liking the recipes Onkel. Since we are talking german/Austrian recipes. I don`t suppose you know how to make "dead cat on a shovel"? I had it in a speciality Schwabian restaurant, and loved it. I guess it`s probably specific to that region though, right?
Thanks.
Could you describe the ingredients, please? maybe I know it under another name.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Rei_Toei said:
OnkelC, you're a true GAF trooper. If anyone is interested I'll post some Dutch student recipes - fast, fairly simple, but nonetheless tasty =).
Thanks and go ahead! It's nice to learn new stuff.

OnkelC said:
Thanks.
Could you describe the ingredients, please? maybe I know it under another name.

It was basically diced potato,with mince or finely diced meat, onions and spices, mixed together and fried into a sort of hash. Served on a wooden platter shaped like a shovel. Hence the name. It looks like roadkill. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom