• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homebrewed Wii to Wii U transfers are possible

Madao

i guess we need some good news for the day.

i took the bullet like someone who plays russian roulette with a fully loaded gun and decided to move all my stuff from my Wii to Wii U without removing homebrew because i forgot most of the procedures to update and i was lazy to look up that stuff.

lo and behold, the wii transfer tools worked fine on both sides and never asked anything about stuff like the homebrew channel and out of region games (the software even imported all the japanese saves i had and showed their names correctly lol)

i guess this saves a lot of headaches to people since they can just move their stuff freely and leave the Wii as a homebrew-only box.

it even moves uncopyable things like SSBB, fortune Street and MKWii save data. rejoice for those who wanted to completely ditch their old Wii.

the pikmin sure work hard.

as a note, the homebrew i had installed was USB loader, d2x IOS and the homebrew channel. i was in system menu 4.2 and updated the shop with DOP-shop.

edit: none of the homebrew channels or applications transfer over. the system checks your shop history to determine what comes over from the shop.

elsk

Banned
I don't get it, you say you can import the Homebrewed channel to WiiU? And still you say you should keep your Wii for homebrew?

Madao

I don't get it, you say you can import the Homebrewed channel to WiiU? And still you say you should keep your Wii for homebrew?

homebrewed Wii as in the console itself. not the channel.

none of the homebrew specific channels transferred.

FSLink

Banned

No, OP says despite having a Softmodded/Homebrew Enabled Wii, Wii U transfer is possible.

I do wonder if Homebrew Channel could be installed on the Wii U's Wii mode with a later update or something....

perfect. nice to know that when i get a wii u in the future. i love my modded wii - installed all of my games onto an external hd and everything loads so much faster. well worth it just for that alone (plus a cool black main menu theme to match my black colored wii).

Can you make/install your own VC apps and then transfer them to Wii U? I'd love to take my copy of Rockman no Constancy and bring it over to Wii U whenever I get one.

Good news in case you're worried about deleting Homebrew Channel for some reason.

In other homebrew related news:
- You can run homebrew on the Wii U's Wii mode using Smash Bros. Brawl's stage hack ("Smash Stack") but can't yet install Homebrew Channel.
- I read that you can do a full NAND backup of your Wii, do the system transfer, then restore the NAND to the Wii, making it as if you never did the transfer. Someone should try this.

Madao

Can you make/install your own VC apps and then transfer them to Wii U? I'd love to take my copy of Rockman no Constancy and bring it over to Wii U whenever I get one.

nope.
custom channels don't transfer. i had a custom OoT with MQ and that didn't get moved over.

Madao

Good news in case you're worried about deleting Homebrew Channel for some reason.

- You can do a full NAND backup of your Wii, so the system transfer, then restore the NAND to the Wii, I think. Someone should try this.

this was actually the method i used in case the process fucked up somewhere down the line.
it is confirmed to work.

MegaByte

Anybody know if NAND backups running virtually (SNEEK) from a different system work? I've got a backup of a dead Wii with all my WiiWare that I run on a newer console and would like to transfer them to the Wii U.

Good news especially regarding backups. Now I wonder if the hbc guys can make an update to convince the Wii-U that its legit software and be copied over. Would be nice to have the perks like Riivolution and usbloader especially given the superior video output.

Good news especially regarding backups. Now I wonder if the hbc guys can make an update to convince the Wii-U that its legit software and be copied over. Would be nice to have the perks like Riivolution and usbloader especially given the superior video output.

All software has to be redownloaded, anyway. If it isn't on Nintendo's servers, it won't be on Wii U.

During the transfer process where it tries to go online to download the information it needs on my Wii (after inserting the prepared SD card from my Wii U), I get the infamous Error 202011. I can still connect to the Wii Shop. So, not sure if it's getting slammed or something else is wrong.

Eusis

I'm pretty sure you can still download DKC, just not buy it anymore.
All but fully confirmed: I checked my download list, found DKC2, and the download button was right there. No gifting options or anything, so short of the system spitting out an error when I select Download you should be fine. It's the one thing all three got right at least, it doesn't seem anything you can actually buy that gets delisted is ever unavailable to be downloaded, I'm guessing only a court order (Too Human?) could do that.

homebrewed Wii as in the console itself. not the channel.

none of the homebrew specific channels transferred.

man you just made my morning easier. Have not read past this post but I am about to give this thread a good read and then do that transfer thing. I can just put my Wii in a closet because I need to plug space it is taking up near the TV :)

Septimius

So to keep everything you have currently on the Wii and transfer what can be transferred to the Wii U, is this the way to go?

1) Full NAND-backup
2) Transfer everything from Wii to WiiU
3) Back up from NAND-backup

Everything will be as it was on the Wii? Because that's what I want.

In other homebrew related news:
- You can run homebrew on the Wii U's Wii mode using Smash Bros. Brawl's stage hack ("Smash Stack") but can't yet install Homebrew Channel.
- I read that you can do a full NAND backup of your Wii, do the system transfer, then restore the NAND to the Wii, making it as if you never did the transfer. Someone should try this.

Yet, getting homebrew on WiiU (even if just in Wii mode) would be a huge deal for me.

My OG Wiis disc drive is starting to crap out. Homebrew has literally saved it from becoming a worthless piece of junk.

ffdgh

I have plenty of nand backups so this is a joy to know. I wouldn't mind HBC for wii mode especially if it can still somehow play backups.

having no luck

My Wii needs a Shop Channel update but I cannot update I get an error
need the shop to get hat transfer app

I am thinking the error is from the Homebrew Channel which updates easily must have set it to block forced updates?

need to uninstall homebrew steps?

having no luck

I am thinking the error is from the Homebrew Channel which updates easily must have set it to block forced updates?

I installed the update no problem on my homebrewed Wii, but it took my friend ages to get it to work on his.

I don't think homebrew is the issue.

NeonZ

Is it possible to transfer things from two Wiis to a single Wii U? I asked this in another topic but got no reply. Does no one know?

having no luck

You can update the Wii Shop manually. Use the Windows program "NUS Downloader" to download the latest version of Wii Shop Channel from Nintendo's servers and package it into a wad. Also grab IOS 62 and make it a wad. Then install them with a WAD manager.

I can't help further for a few hours, but head to the Wii homebrew thread. They'll take care of you there.

I have plenty of nand backups so this is a joy to know. I wouldn't mind HBC for wii mode especially if it can still somehow play backups.

Yeah hopefully a Homebrew channel install is found sooner rather than later. Getting a USB loader to work for my Wii games would be icing on the cake.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hey, what do you know, the console-within-console had its benefits! ; )

TunaLover

having no luck

Just install newer shop channel through your prefered method (except official update), I used the app WiiMOD (HBC Wii app), once installed you can download the transfer tool channel without problems, the channel includes IOS62 in the package, so you don't need install any extra IOS.

Damian.

Banned
Fuck, for some reason after updating the Homebrew Channel and the Wii Shop channel my CfgUSB Loader complains about IOS 249 being broken or something and throws me back out to the Wii System Menu when I open it. Been so long since I homebrewed my Wii I forgot most of the steps, but I know everything worked a few days ago.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Does anyone have a tutorial to remove all my homebrew and shit from my wii and get it to factory state? I haven't even used the thing in like a year but I wanna sell it..

Top Bottom