• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront: The revolution Early impressions thread

First time I see a stream of him, his video reviews are good but this isreally how he plays a game? he barely following the story or pay attention to the game.

Same thing I thought. His reviews are really too long, but if you skip his stupid skit bits it's generally decent criticism. Trying to watch his stream though, I couldn't even get past 5 minutes. I was skipping around a bit and he started flexing and talking about "Bazooka" Joe during a cut-scene. So I just closed it.

So all in all a pretty standard 7/10 title?
Does it try to do anything new/interesting or is it just another shooter that you have played 100 times before?

The impressions I got from trailers were that it felt like Just Cause meets infamous SS ( or any other open world game where you clear regions to unlock new powers) is that accurate?

Going by that description, a 7/10 sounds extremely generous. Especially given that critics are generally being harsher this gen.

I mean, bad movement in an FPS?! That already sounds terrible.

Gurish

Same thing I thought. His reviews are really far too long, but if you essentially skip his stupid skit bits it's generally fairly good criticism. Ttrying to watch his stream though, I couldn't even get past 5 minutes. I was skipping around a bit and he started flexing and talking about "Bazooka" Joe during a cut-scene so I just closed it.

I wonder how he get decent video reviews playing games like this, like seriously even the greatest game of all time cannot really be enjoyed in such atmosphere, his stream is bad.

Shredderi

Technically the visuals seem pretty good actually. It's just the art direction that makes it look kind of bland, but given the setting it seems fitting. That's about all the good things I've seen. I mean I actually really want this game to be surprisingly decent because I'm interested in the premise.

First time I see a stream of him, his video reviews are good but this isreally how he plays a game? he barely following the story or pay attention to the game.

Yeah, I like his proper reviews a lot, but this is just awful. I guess maybe the younger audience likes the streamer to act like a childish shouting idiot?

Genio88

This game gives me some Metro/Dying Light vibe...i wanna try it, graphics must be pretty good maxed out on my GTX980, though will the game be worth playing?

gossi

Yeah, I like his proper reviews a lot, but this is just awful. I guess maybe the younger audience likes the streamer to act like a childish shouting idiot?

Twitch was a core audience which would stop watching if, for example, you didn't talk during cut scenes. It's all about engagement. His reviews are more thoughtful.

Twitch was a core audience which would stop watching if, for example, you didn't talk during cut scenes. It's all about engagement. His reviews are more thoughtful.

That's fair enough and I never watch Twitch content, but couldn't he comment on the game, or listen to what's going on and give his take on it? I mean, they are literally pissing around and acting like children. As an adult, I have zero desire to watch that.

Maybe consider that this is how he plays games when thinking about the proper reviews.

I'm sure this is overacting for the audience. I doubt he plays all of his games like this, and besides in proper reviews he generally backs up his points with footage and well-reasoned arguments.

The donation message sounds and subscriber notification music are ridiculously annoying on that stream. I can deal with some pop-up messages because he's making money that way but when you have Star Wars music and random metal playing all the damn time it gets annoying very quickly.

Otherwise I didn't see a problem with the way he played, but god damn those extra sounds.

Really unfortunate for the devs, but it does sound like a bad for everyone involved all around.

If you were to make this type of game last gen or even the gen before, on a similar relative budget (i.e. It would obviously be lower), then I'd say they'd be able to recover, and it wouldn't bomb as hard, but releasing a title like this (that IMO looks AA but has AAA production values at times) in 2016 is just asking for a bomba.

It's unfortunate that development costs have skyrocketed this high this gen, and the market changes have meant we are seeing less AAA titles than ever, at least ones that are taking risks. There's just no room for games like these in the market anymore.

Of course I maybe talking total crap, but it's the way I see it with the 'hype' and exposure of this game, and similar ones to it (look at Murdered Soul Suspect a couple of years ago which studio ended up shutting down).

oti

Banned
The donation message sounds and subscriber notification music are ridiculously annoying on that stream. I can deal with some pop-up messages because he's making money that way but when you have Star Wars music and random metal playing all the damn time it gets annoying very quickly.

Otherwise I didn't see a problem with the way he played, but god damn those extra sounds.

Most kids and teens come back from school and put a twitch stream on to have some background noise while using Snapchat or something like that on their phone. The twitch streamers know that. They also know they need donations/subs to make a living out of this, so they need to activate their viewers. That's why there's always a ringtone or something when a viewer pays money or subscribes. That way the new subscriber gets awarded with the streamer's attention and potential new subscribers/donors feel the desire to get the same attention.

It's basically like a two-sided circus show.

Fezan

Played some more. The one word I use to describe this game is Underwhelming even if you have no expectations. Its Underwhelming in department

Is this the game that there was a thread about on here a few weeks back about it having a
playable TimeSplitters
Easter egg?
If it is, I'm more curious about that than the game itself.

Didn't posted the impressions earlier as I Made the thread on mobile. Here are my early impressions after playing first 2 hours.

-The graphics are underwhelming. Its not bad technically but artistically it also looks bland.

-There are technical issues like screen tearing and fps drops. I am not sure if its fps drops or frame pacing issues but the game feels sluggish. Beside that the game crashed once and have other issues like items stucking in geometry etc. Please note that there maybe a day one patch. It wasn't up for me yet.

-Movement feels odd and shooting is not satisfying.

-AI is also not good.

-The world feels huge. You can see Farcry influences every where

-In the start the game does feel like guerilla warfare. You have limited resources and have weak weapons compared to enemy.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask

Sounds like the public beta/alpa whatever they had months ago on Xbox.

This game is gonna get thrashed in reviews. I expect 5s across the board. That said, I don't play games based off other peoples opinions and will still be getting it next week. Other then the premise which is absurd I still think the game looks interesting.

Stitch

Gold Member
holy shit angry joe says the hightest FOV is 65 and default is 50.

i hope the devs mean vertical FOV

Astrates

The beta for this was the single worst thing I have forced myself to play.

Just bad in every way, not much fun, enemy waves spawning in front of you, glitches and looked like a lost PS360 relic that should have stayed buried.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I managed to get Amazon to honor their price error for this game, so I have a copy headed my way. Maybe the RC car will be fun, right?

I played my buddy's PS4 copy last night.
My impressions are expressed in these GIFs.
Interpret as you will.

Gameplay:
angry-ronswanson2.gif

Graphics:
A4jJ_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

Story:
latest

Performance:
agh.gif

rob305

Hmmmmm I liked the first one. Have this one on my radar, but going to wait for video reviews to see if i'm going to like the game. Far cry formula sounds good to me, love that stuff.
Will probably get it after I finish Quantum Break and Ratchet & Clank, unless the game is complete trash

0racle

Interpret as you will.

So its bad on all fronts?

Just watched a bit of the angry joe vid. I honestly got bored watching more than 5 seconds of gameplay before scanning to another section....and being bored again. I had this pre ordered for cheap and even then, it does not look like its worth it.

How could I play this after I finish up uncharted 4? I mean almost every game is lacklustre in comparison to that masterpiece ( so far ) so I have to be very careful what I play after to cleanse my pallet. I always find after I play a game that is SO SO good its almost like a bad breakup where I have to settle for something else just because I have to.

Cornbread78

LOL, even the OT maker dumped this title awhile ago, lol. Looks like it will go into the abyss.

I was wondering why there was no hype behind it, but I guess these early impressions speak for itself...

Xater

I was not impressed with it when I played it during Gamescom in August. Felt like a low rent Far Cry 3, and I say 3 because 4 actually made some improvements to the formula.

Nordicus

Interpret as you will.
Damn. Wish it had been better, because open world shooter with decent interiors to seemlessly run into and bunker down, escape or hide, is something I really enjoy. Think the latter half of all STALKER games

Lucifon

I actually think the game might be 'okay' on PC, but the console versions have some real serious technical issues.

From the OP's impressions it sounds like that's still not changed for the final release. How did you get the copy so early?

GavinUK86

First time I see a stream of him, his video reviews are good but this is really how he plays a game? he is barely following the story or pay attention to the game.

Gotta act like a monkey for that organ grinder to get that Twitch money.

I've been excited for this because I actually enjoyed the first. I've played about an hour of it on PC and PS4 a month or so ago and it was pretty good on PC, not great on console. It's going to bomb though because of when it's releasing. It needed to come out during a dry spell in a few months.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Is there matchmaking for coop? I can't see many of my "friends" getting this game so would probably try coop with randoms.

K.Sabot

Saw the joe footage. Spent what was 4 minutes watching him running up to dudes and stabbing them in the face while some dude on the radio is fellating him for stabbing those dudes in the face. Wow this game looks bad.

sflufan

Banned
This poor studio has been on such a roller-coaster ride in recent years:

- As Free Radical Design: failure of Haze, cancellation of Star Wars: Battlefront III, going into administration and most staff depart, purchased by Crytek in 2009 and renamed Crytek-UK

- As Crytek-UK: runs into financial problems in 2014 after developing multiplayer component of Crysis 2 and 3 (neither of which were particularly successful) and the Xbox 360 version of Warface (which no one played), Crytek parent misses wage and bonus payments to staff leading to further staff departures, Crytek sells studio and Homefront IP to Koch Media/Deep Silver and most of the staff is laid off, remaining staff transferred to newly-formed Dambuster Studios.

- As Dambuster Studios: releasing a truly mediocre-looking Homefront title that no one really wants in the same month as Uncharted, DOOM, and Overwatch

I certainly hope that everyone at Dambusters has their resumes updated accordingly.

to people asking what happened -> Cryengine on consoles happened. Angry Joe's stream last night looked pretty decent actually (he was on pc). I would not buy this game on console at all.

Top Bottom